• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah why would you put any games from last gen? Im talking about PS4/Xbox One games

Well besides DS3 being a current gen only game, his point is that those are the types of settings that the developer can reduce to make up for the gap in performance of the device. I would think resolution might be cut in addition to that too.

Countdown to Switch GIF have begun!

f2qDToP.gif

I think people are going to figure out what kind of theme I'm going for countdown. I hope that y'all would enjoy it :)

Awesome, I can't wait!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Well, it will likely depend on which games you're talking about. Most games on either platform are indie or mid-tier games. You're unlikely to see much of a difference when talking about those. AAA are an entirely different beast. The Xbox One can't even run many AAA games at a native 1080p resolution. So, I think if you're honestly believing that the most visually demanding games being developed currently aren't going to show a much of a difference when viewed on the PS4/Xbox One vs. the Switch, then you're likely setting yourself up for an unnecessary disappointment.
There won't be an extreme difference in IQ, but it won't reach the range visuals excepted from a PS4/Xbox One version, I agree. Especially with graphically intensive games.

It's also that Maxwell flops do more than even GCN flops, not to mention Wii U's flops. The Nvidia vs. AMD flop comparison seemingly is much more valid in a PC environment than a console environment, but the modern architecture of Maxwell or Pascal does have a bit of an advantage over the GCN architecture in the OG PS4 and XB1. Pro and Scorpio will get back to about even in that area if I'm not mistaken.
And that's without accounting optimization seen on Tegra-based chipsets like X1, which the Switch SoC is probably based on. ASTC texture compression, tiled-based rendering and native FP16 support.

If you were talking about the specific nba game, could be.
In general, no.

In any case it would be harder to put a ps3 version than an xbone one due to both power and architecture similarities way closer to xbone than ps3
No I am saying 2K/EA do still develop these games. I buy these games every year. The game in the trailer was 2K they the only ones that make an NBA game this year.

Absolutely. I've expressed this fear before, but folks cannot use Zelda as a measuring stick for Switch performance. Nintendo cannot lean on other Wii U ports/remasters as means of showcasing the strengths of Switch. They need original software (ideally 3D Mario in January) and third-party software to show the advancements Switch offers over that of the Wii U. Whether it be DOOM, Skyrim, or some other PS4/Xbone title that finds its way to Switch.

Zelda has been the focus for too long. They need to 'Wow' people with new stuff that was built for Switch and takes advantage of the hardware.

It would be very disappointing if they miss the opportunity to show off a device that's actually using very, very modern and impressive tech given the form factor.

I think Zelda so far has been the focus because they really want to save as much new information and new games as possible for the January event. At least I'm hoping this is the case. Especially if Zelda is going to miss the March launch as we assume it will.

Neoxon

While I doubt that it'll happen, I hope that MvCI hits the Switch so we can have some reveals in January. I believe I've mentioned this before, but I need my Mahvel hype fix.

Then again, wasn't there a rumor from Laura that the event would be around 30-60 minutes? That doesn't seem like a whole lot of time for a live press conference.

Right, but there's far more to this. You also took games that either were cross gen or weren't that scalable. The problem of the comparison is also about IQ. And resolution/IQ is what can ruin a game far more than shadows/anti-aliasing/LOD/lighting.

I generally agree with you. For the Switch version, I would expect more cases of lower resolution and a reduction of viewable geometry (less viewing distance, more aggressive LOD, Etc)

Btw, you link doesn't work for me.

While I doubt that it'll happen, I hope that MvCI hits the Switch so we can have some reveals in January. I believe I've mentioned this before, but I need my Mahvel hype fix.

Then again, wasn't there a rumor from Laura that the event would be around 30-60 minutes? That doesn't seem like a whole lot of time for a live press conference.

She said that she didn't hear that specifically, that's just her guess based on the amount of game reveals she's heard of.

Vic

This is what I kinda fear where the presentation to not match our enthusiasm: not enough software announcements from both Nintendo and 3rd parties.

pelican

I have to admit it this the first Nintendo console I've been excited about since the glorious GameCube.

Not particuarly concerned about he potential lack of horse power as I've got a high end current tech PC, PS4 Pro and Scorpio. This is for Nintendo games. A new 3D Mario alone is worth the entry price.

Vena

She said that she didn't hear that specifically, that's just her guess based on the amount of game reveals she's heard of.

This is where I kinda except the presentation to not match enthusiasm: not enough software announcements from both Nintendo and 3rd parties.

I know, I was the one who asked her about MvCI (note the username of the person who mentioned MvCI in the AMA).

She also noted it would be information dense, so take that as you will. I'd expect a handful of hot-reels to go through a large number of smaller titles.

This is what I kinda fear where the presentation to not match our enthusiasm: not enough software announcements from both Nintendo and 3rd parties.

Don't expect to get much out of this event besides the launch window + a few more titles.

Do be disappointed if you don't see enough outta E3, though.

Honestly, if you aren't sold by the known lineup at the event, don't buy one until the titles you want are there.

The fact that the Switch is portable means I will be double dipping on alot of titles I usually just buy for Xbox One, including MvC8 if it comes to switch

It's like how the introduction was only 3 mins long, but got the point across. I believe that is what Nintendo is going for. There is other announcements and hands-on impressions following it.

Instro

Don't expect to get much out of this event besides the launch window + a few more titles.

Honestly, if you aren't sold by the known lineup at the event, don't buy one until the titles you want are there.

It would be a mistake if they didn't at least cover everything from launch to the end of 2017.

Neoxon

It would be a mistake if they didn't at least cover everything from launch to the end of 2017.
There's a very real chance that The Pokémon Company could hold back the announcement of Pokémon Stars (or whatever the final name ends up being) until sometime in the Spring or even until E3. That said, I do expect a good chunk, if not most, of Nintendo's Year 1 games to be revealed.

It may be an up port of the 3ds version.

Nope, not when the Switch is already confirmed to support UE4. Would make absolutely zero sense.

I'm already way too hyped for this so there's no saving me. But if they were smart they would show off at least 20 games for launch and the launch window, and ideally some idea of future games (2018 at the latest), potentially the MonolithSoft game.

Considering how long the hands-on periods are supposed to be (2 hours for the private demos, 7 hours for the public event) I would certainly hope they have a lot of games ready to show and play. 20 shouldn't be too unreasonable, including third parties obviously. What kind of numbers did we have for similar events for past consoles?

Neoxon

It may be an up port of the 3ds version.
It very well could, but the Switch does support Unreal Engine 4. Plus the whole point of the 3DS version is to have 3D & 2D on each of the screens, something you'd miss out on with only one screen on the Switch.

LordKano

I thought that all my posts ranting about the absurdity of the "upres 3DS port" idea were enough to get this thing out of people mind but seems like it wasn't enough :/

I know software is king, but I'm honestly most excited to see the OS. As much as I love the features on my Xbox One/PS4, I want the Switch to be about getting in and out of games/apps as quickly as possible.

Doctre81

I really can't wait to see the reactions around here when we'll see that many Switch games won't look too different from what can be produced by the PS4/Xbox One.

They will claim there is a huge difference just like they did with watchdogs, Assasins creed 4, COD Ghost etc.

I'm not saying they'll look like that. I'm saying that this kind of downgrade, aka reducing on shadows/anti-aliasing/LOD/lighting is what publishers will do to port their console games on Switch. Not rebuilding them from scratch.

It continues to amaze me how people still think porting a game to another console is as simple as flipping a switch.

Vic

The hands-on videos from various people trying the Switch the day after the presentation might be all I need though to satisfy me though.
I know software is king, but I'm honestly most excited to see the OS. As much as I love the features on my Xbox One/PS4, I want the Switch to be about getting in and out of games/apps as quickly as possible.
No install time is the GOAT feature.

The hands-on videos from various people trying the Switch the day after the presentation might be all I need though to satisfy me though.

No install time is the GOAT feature.

Most definitely! I still love console gaming for the overall convenience, but install times have really gotten out of control. I'll happily adopt a primarily physical library for Switch based on the idea of not having to manage game installs.

I don't think they have the luxury to wait due to the release timing. For example, Sony announced the PS4 at an event in February and then had E3, gamescom, TGS, and PGW to announce games, have third parties announce games and to have it playable before it launched in November. So, they really could afford to spread out announcements because they had nearly an entire year to do it. Nintendo basically boxed themselves in with their dates as they've got to be really fast in ramping up hype and attention for the system.

That's not to say that people should expect them and third parties to just announce their entire current libraries for the system. But this is the position that Nintendo chose to put themselves into. And on top of that they're calling the Switch a console, and the console they're coming off of is the Wii U. So, people are going to want to see something that makes them confident that they aren't about to invest into another platform that could turn out like that. A very strong showing from both first and third party developers is a must.

Oh God, OBE1 making videos about "12 days of Switchmas", with leaks "100% certified, ask Emily Rogers, ask Liam Robertson", and he starts with AC: Egypt coming to Switch. And Laura states she's heard the same.

Oh God, what the heck is going on.

well, someone gave OBE1 12 good tidbits to leak looks like he is going to stretch it out until January 12th

I obviously dont Im reaching out because I dont know. In real world performance I mean "what does that actually mean for the Switch?" Will developers be put the effort through? Will that really help with parity and 3rd party ports?

Im not some tech expert and not trying to be one, just looking for proof in clarification.

Sorry I misunderstood the intent of your posts. Hard to sort out the people trying to spread misinformation anymore.

I think the bottom line is that making things easy for developers is really what third party ports come down to. It seems like Nintendo is trying to do everything they can to make things as easy as possible.

The Switch supports Unreal Engine 4, though. Using the PS4 version would make much more sense.

As we mentioned earlier, Dragon Quest XI isn't exactly on the same league as Final Fantasy XV graphically.

I hope Switch will get both versions. Downported PS4 Version and a HD 3DS Version. Am i asking too much?

I hope Switch will get both versions. Downported PS4 Version and a HD 3DS Version. Am i asking too much?

Why would Square do that? Why do too much work upon doing both versions when they could simply take the source code from the PS4 version, make some tweaks on it such as button configurations, etc. for the Switch & port the game onto there, with less work, less time & less money?

Really, this blows my fucking mind just thinking about it this way. I mean growing up, most would've thought Nintendo would just do this:

Game Boy/Game Boy Color = Portable NES
Game Boy Advance = Portable SNES
Nintendo DS = Portable N64
Nintendo 3DS = Portable GameCube
Nintendo Switch = Portable Wii

It's weird, GBA and even more DS were under their console counterparts, but then 3DS with its modern shaders felt like it leaped to near PS360 territory (but worse than GC in other ways) with games like Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (and even more so with Monster Hunter Stories, thank you Capcom).

Now Switch basically went into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE and is basically near PS4 and XBO? Beyond PS360 and even Wii U? What kind of voodoo is this? :p
Well, the GCN-to-Wii tech situation was pretty unique, so we should never have expected that of the post-3DS machine. Pretty sure New 3DS was a bigger jump, if they didn't want to maintain compatibility with the original. But beyond that, the voodoo of mobile tech growth in recent years, and apparent willingness to go with much higher costs than the pre-3DS machines is pretty strong. Also that Sony/MS avoided going as nuts with their specs this gen, lowering the ceiling of comparison a bit.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo isn't gonna show all 2017 games on Jan 13. Some 2017 games will be announced at E3 and a few for directs.

That would be a big mistake
They should even announce games more far away than late 17
Nobody is trusting them anymore in being able to offer a steady stream of games to their home consoles

Nobody is trusting them anymore in being able to offer a steady stream of games to their home consoles

Considering they're pretty much consolidating console + handheld output, I don't see any reason not to think they'll have a steady stream of games. And late '17 games? Before E3? That's absurd

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Considering they're pretty much consolidating console + handheld output, I don't see any reason not to think they'll have a steady stream of games. And late '17 games? Before E3? That's absurd

They have to prove a lot of things
And They still have to prove this merging library concept at all
For first and third parties
If they will ask to wait for E3. ..lets see how long buyers will let them wait to sell this console...

They have to prove a lot of things
And They still have to prove this merging library concept at all
For first and third parties
If they will ask to wait for E3. ..lets see how long buyers will let them wait to sell this console...

What are you even talking about? There going to be releasing games between launch and E3. You're acting like there won't be anything for some reason

Neoxon

Tell that to The Pokémon Company. They're just as likely to announce Stars later in the year as they are to reveal it in January (I.E. a 50/50 chance). In the past, TPC has typically done reveals on their own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom