• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What are you even talking about? There going to be releasing games between launch and E3. You're acting like there won't be anything for some reason

While I think he's really really overly paranoid, I do think Nintendo should really go all out and show anything that can be shown- you need to build as much hype as excitement as possible and the idea of only showing off titles 6 months out is an antiquated idea IMO.

Sadist

They have to prove a lot of things
And They still have to prove this merging library concept at all
For first and third parties
If they will ask to wait for E3. ..lets see how long buyers will let them wait to sell this console...
They will throw in a few bones. But they'll need some ammo for further in the year though.

Debirudog

While I think he's really really overly paranoid, I do think Nintendo should really go all out and show anything that can be shown- you need to build as much hype as excitement as possible and the idea of only showing off titles 6 months out is an antiquated idea IMO.

Not if there's plenty of games to play and a ton of information. They can savor the ammo as long as they have it.

Tell that to The Pokémon Company. They're just as likely to announce Stars later in the year as they are to reveal it in January (I.E. a 50/50 chance). In the past, TPC has typically done reveals on their own terms.

In order to cement the idea that this will combine their handheld and console output they really need a decent amount of typical handheld games like Pokemon and Monster Hunter. But on the other hand, one of the big ideas behind the Switch is that the device will receive full, no compromises console games, so they can't really focus too much on typical console games.

It's going to be a fine line they'll have to walk. I wonder if they will differentiate any of these games in any way.

Either way I'm sure Nintendo will have no trouble convincing TPC to do whatever they think is best for the franchise.

Waji

They don't have to pull a Sony and show games far away from development lol.
Actually they might... have to.
When you think some people bought the PS3 for Versus13, it makes you think, but that's something else.

Showing a few far away project doesn't mean show everything. First and foremost they have to impress everyone on January.
And showing one or two 2018~ project doesn't seem to be a bad idea
I mean, 2018 is not that far. Anything after spring 2019 may be too much.
If there are several 2018+ projects, they can just keep some for later, not everything.

They need to show a bright future, really.

Kimawolf

nintendo needs to pull a Sony imo.

There Jan event needs to be like Sony's feb event for the launch of the PS4. need to show games coming at launch, later in the year, stress 3rd party parity if possible, and show a few games coming in a few years, big games, teasers to show support going forward.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Considering they're pretty much consolidating console + handheld output, I don't see any reason not to think they'll have a steady stream of games. And late '17 games? Before E3? That's absurd

In a world where even their mobile apps/games got delayed there is no guarantee whatsoever.

They don't have to pull a Sony and show games far away from development lol.

Yeah, they should avoid Sony's marketing success at all costs. Who wants to sell consoles anyhow?

Debirudog

I hate carrot and the stick scenarios. Shenmue 3 and the FF7 remake aren't going to come in a long time and it's a shitty way to build hype,

NateDrake

Don't expect to get much out of this event besides the launch window + a few more titles.

Do be disappointed if you don't see enough outta E3, though.

Honestly, if you aren't sold by the known lineup at the event, don't buy one until the titles you want are there.

Bingo. We literally have an outline of what to expect from the January 12 presentation. People just need to look to the 3DS and Wii U Pre-launch presentations. We'll get price, launch date, launch window games, and a few titles beyond the launch window to create some buzz. That will be enough to carry into E3 when Nintendo can showcase the second round of software for Switch for the holiday season and early 2018. If third-party support is modest and first-party efforts are strong, E3 could make for one hell of a show.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Bingo. We literally have an outline of what to expect from the January 12 presentation. People just need to look to the 3DS and Wii U Pre-launch presentations. We'll get price, launch date, launch window games, and a few titles beyond the launch window to create some buzz.

That worked well for Wii U and 3ds launches. So E3 for the $50 price cut?

Bingo. We literally have an outline of what to expect from the January 12 presentation. People just need to look to the 3DS and Wii U Pre-launch presentations. We'll get price, launch date, launch window games, and a few titles beyond the launch window to create some buzz.
That would be a disaster..

TunaLover

meh, I'm already dissapointed :/

antonz

Indeed. E3 is within 3 months of the launch. Jan. 12th will be large enough to get the ball rolling as far as interest etc. but it is important really to have a great E3 showing so they can keep that ball rolling.

Need to keep it rolling otherwise it will sputter out pretty quick

Sadist

Bingo. We literally have an outline of what to expect from the January 12 presentation. People just need to look to the 3DS and Wii U Pre-launch presentations. We'll get price, launch date, launch window games, and a few titles beyond the launch window to create some buzz. That will be enough to carry into E3 when Nintendo can showcase the second round of software for Switch for the holiday season and early 2018. If third-party support is modest and first-party efforts are strong, E3 could make for one hell of a show.
These are my own expectations as well and pretty reasonable, so ye-

That would be a disaster..

meh, I'm already dissapointed :/
Never change, GAF.

Debirudog

Yeah, they should avoid Sony's marketing success at all costs. Who wants to sell consoles anyhow?
They found success in other directions. They can go ahead and do it but I won't like it because it's like a 3 year-long process full of compromises and stupid hype.

Neoxon

This is more-or-less what I'm expecting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Software droughts hurt them. Not the presentation.

That's the issue. They have to prove that won't be the case this time around. Showing 3 Wii U ports, Mario, Zelda and maybe 1-2 other games to cover for the first 6 months won't cut it.

3ds had also just 3-4 months to E3.

The Wii U and, initially, the 3DS struggled for completely different reasons than their pre-launch conferences. They struggled because they had high prices, confusing marketing, and little to no first-party titles

For launch, you really don't need anything special. Very few launches do. So as long as the price is fine, the marketing is good, and there's a few high profile titles to get people interested, they should be fine for the launch window. It's afterwards they need to worry about

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
nintendo needs to pull a Sony imo.

There Jan event needs to be like Sony's feb event for the launch of the PS4. need to show games coming at launch, later in the year, stress 3rd party parity if possible, and show a few games coming in a few years, big games, teasers to show support going forward.

not a Sony because they must confirm a steady stream of games, not only launch window but neither only far away games

after the wiiu and in the actual market situation that would be a suicide
Initial sales would be horrid because very few people would trust them enough to invest in a new hw purchase with such a short sighted view and after that support would dried up fast

And please note that the 3DS was presented at e3 with a list of almost all the most important japanese brands in development

antonz

That's the issue. They have to prove that won't be the case this time around. Showing 3 Wii U ports, Mario, Zelda and maybe 1-2 other games to cover for the first 6 months won't cut it.

3DS launched with Steel Diver as a flagship title.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Some of you guys want 20 games out on launch.

No, I want Nintendo to show that they have a working plan this time around. That they have it figured it out at least until the year's end, if not even some hints to 2018. They don't have to show all the games, but they have to show a steady flow of releases, that there won't be any drought.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why is E3 so important? Is E3 more important than a successful launch?

This year they had 2 games plus peanuts at E3 and it didn't matter.

schuelma

Ehh. Nintendo also had that January Direct with a lot of far out games barely 2 months after launch. They are certainly hyping this as much more than the typical NYC September final presentation- I don't see the harm in actually hyping their console and showing some exciting stuff that is actively in development but not a 2017 release. Wouldn't take that much more than what they did with the Wii U- just combine the September+January announcements and voila you have a shit ton of games.

J@hranimo

Banned
You guys, this is a presentation, not Nintendo's SpaceWorld E3 January 2017 Edition.

I'm more interested in the device itself because I'm actually tired of having an old ass online system and want to see a slick, intuitive OS. Games will be there, no doubt about that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Some of you guys want 20 games out on launch.

nope
try again

Exactly
They dont have to launch 20 games nor to announce only far away games à la Sony
They have to prove that, with wiiu ports, western third party home games, japanese third party portable games, classic brands, new IP, a merging of first party home and portable teams can offer a steady stream of games

Otherwise nothing will change in a trajectory that lead them to the wiiu situation (aka disaster )

I really don't see a problem in them showing games that are still far from releasing. We know for sure they'll show the launch games anyway, it wouldn't harm it and they don't need to show everything just more than the Q1-Q1 2017 games.

schuelma

y'all need to dial in some expectations. i honestly don't think we get much more than the games they've already shown.

That makes no sense- the system will be out in 2 months. Unless you think the 5 games shown in the trailer constitute the entire launch window lineup?

J@hranimo

Banned
y'all need to dial in some expectations. i honestly don't think we get much more than the games they've already shown.

Laura Kate Dale already said there should be some more surprises, but to keep expectations in check as far as 1st party games this year from Nintendo. All rumor of course, but the track record is there...

Vena

Bingo. This needs to happen. And this time not as a late reaction to a failure but as a proper way to launch your console.

No it doesn't, not when a large chunk of the presentation will be about hardware. This isn't a software reveal (ala E3 or that Direct) this is a hardware and launch full reveal. It's not a three hour conference on plans into 2019.

This will be a hardware presentation and all of its functions/tricks being showed off, then they will have something of a meaty Direct to follow it that focuses on what you can do with the thing at launch or the months immediately thereafter (just as Laura suggested in her AMA) but they're not going to go for broke on their entire software plan. What would they have for E3 to maintain the hype with?

From all rumors so far, as well, the launch and near-launch line up isn't exactly small so there really isn't going to be time for what some of you want, and throwing it in there will muddle the launch message and the focus on a pre-launch event.

maxcriden

Laura Kate Dale already said there should be some more surprises, but to keep expectations in check as far as 1st party games this year from Nintendo. All rumor of course, but the track record is there...

Has there been any dialing back of the previous lengthy list she gave of year one releases?

orioto

Good Art™
I really don't see a problem in them showing games that are still far from releasing. We know for sure they'll show the launch games anyway, it wouldn't harm it and they don't need to show everything just more than the Q1-Q1 2017 games.

Yes the idea that you shouldn't communicate about future games is a mistake. What people need when buying a console is long term trust. Show them things are coming on the long run.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No it doesn't, not when a large chunk of the presentation will be about hardware. This isn't a software reveal (ala E3 or that Direct) this is a hardware and launch full reveal. It's not a three hour conference on plans into 2019. it in there will muddle the launch message and the focus on a pre-launch event.

January 2013 Direct was around 40 minutes. I'm pretty sure they will dedicate 40 minutes to software. So what are you talking about?

openrob

Bro, it's releasing in March. That's TWO months for marketing, etc. They will show everything here that will be in the launch window.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Honestly, I don't want the presentation to be like the Nintendo Direct of January 2013. More specifically: I don't want it to be made of, for the most part, titles that we won't see for a long while / titles that were just starting their development / titles that weren't event in development yet (hello, SMT x FE).

I know, this is something I can say NOW, almost 4 years after it happened (...holy crap, was it really that long ago?), and at the time watching the first X trailer was hype as FUCK, but I'd prefer to see a presentation that tries to deal with the short term and the long term in a more balanced way. So: launch lineup, first months, few announcements for end of 2017 / beginning of 2018, enough to satiate fans while still having other titles to unveil at other occasions (E3, Directs, whatever).

Some of yall should higher expectations simply based on the stakes and whats on the line. This is the first proper impressions this console will receieve. Imagine a bunch of ports... here comes the threads January 12th 1am.

"Who else has lost complete interest in the Switch?"

"Will Sony ever make another portable based on the Switch's poor reception?"

"So wait or buy a bunch of ports on Switch launch day?"

"How could Nintendo have possibly gotten it wrong after the success of pokemon Go, SMR and Nes Mini?"

Vena

January 2013 Direct was around 40 minutes. I'm pretty sure they will dedicate 40 minutes to software. So what are you talking about?

For launch software. Where exactly do you think its going to go? They can't just throw up a list of titles for launch and then jump into 2017++ software.

40 minutes for all of their launch line up and launch-window line-up? Ya. That's about right.

Oregano

Obviously they don't need to show everything but there should be enough looks into the future that people aren't thinking "okay and what about after the summer?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom