• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

I think we'll get all the major releases from 2017, 1st party and 3rd party-wise, and some teasings at biggest projects for 2018, but nothing substantial on that side (like, a teaser for Xenoblade 3, or something like that).

I also don't think Nintendo will be present at E3 in a significant way. They seems to have clearly crossed (like a lot of publishers) this american show from their route.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So: launch lineup, first months, few announcements for end of 2017 / beginning of 2018, enough to satiate fans while still having other titles to unveil at other occasions (E3, Directs, whatever).

Yes, this should be fine. The important thing is to give the perception of long term / continuous 1st party support a.k.a "we learned from our previous mistakes".

Neoxon

I think we'll get all the major releases from 2017, 1st party and 3rd party-wise, and some teasings at biggest projects for 2018, but nothing substantial on that side (like, a teaser for Xenoblade 3, or something like that).

I also don't think Nintendo will be present at E3 in a significant way. They seems to have clearly crossed (like a lot of publishers) this american show from their route.
At the very least, Nintendo's probably gonna bring back the Digital Event & Treehouse Live for E3 2017 since they actually have more to show, next year.

Vena

Obviously they don't need to show everything but there should be enough looks into the future that people aren't thinking "okay and what about after the summer?".

E3.

They'll almost certainly attend in force.

This should be like one of those boring but long, informative, software heavy Sony/PSVita heaven conferences where we listen to sorry translators but the information is golden.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This is a list of games published @ E3 2010 when the 3DS was revealed:

3ds_games_001hvsu6.jpg

3ds_games_002vrsfi.jpg

A similar list is all I'm asking for.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For launch software. Where exactly do you think its going to go? They can't just throw up a list of titles for launch and then jump into 2017++ software.

40 minutes for all of their launch line up and launch-window line-up? Ya. That's about right.

Consoles are not just launch games. Buying a console is a medium-long-term buy. You don't buy it and play the launch games and then throw it away.

Some of yall should higher expectations simply based on the stakes and whats on the line. This is the first proper impressions this console will receieve. Imagine a bunch of ports... here comes the threads January 12th 1am.

"Who else has lost complete interest in the Switch?"

"Will Sony ever make another portable based on the Switch's poor reception?"

"So wait or buy a bunch of ports on Switch launch day?"

"How could Nintendo have possibly gotten it wrong after the success of pokemon Go, SMR and Nes Mini?"
Sure, if the only titles they show off are ports, which is doubtful. It's more likely they'll show off a mixture of new titles, enhanced ports, and cross-gen Zelda. Zelda's already getting a decent amount of hype, despite starting off as a Wii U game so I think they should be fine at first, so as long as the launch window is solid. We'll probably see a surprise or two for future titles. After then, they should focus primarily on future titles, such as during an E3 Direct or Conference or whatever

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

E3 is already 3 months after launch. Switch needs to sell well also in April, May and June to be a success. Both Wii U and 3ds had huge sales issues pretty much immediately post launch.

E3 would be already cut $50 emergency mode if something goes wrong.

DMONKUMA

Yeah I think that's to expect be somewhat expect. Perhaps not all 2017 but yeah...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No it doesn't, not when a large chunk of the presentation will be about hardware. This isn't a software reveal (ala E3 or that Direct) this is a hardware and launch full reveal. It's not a three hour conference on plans into 2019.

This will be a hardware presentation and all of its functions/tricks being showed off, then they will have something of a meaty Direct to follow it that focuses on what you can do with the thing at launch or the months immediately thereafter (just as Laura suggested in her AMA) but they're not going to go for broke on their entire software plan. What would they have for E3 to maintain the hype with?

From all rumors so far, as well, the launch and near-launch line up isn't exactly small so there really isn't going to be time for what some of you want, and throwing it in there will muddle the launch message and the focus on a pre-launch event.

So are they going to host another conf about software in february?
And when they will confirm this...?
They set the marketing strategy exactly to arrive near launch with almost everything to be confirmed yet
Months of secrecy lead us to what should be a sudden blowout
There is no more time after the january event to set people mind about the purchase
And if you or them think that people will go buying a Nintendo home console "per se" as done for the Wii or because of that infamous "one game-changer title" concept. ..
It will fail.
Harder and quicker than the wiiu

Nintendo must prove to be able to offer many games for many months in a row

That would be a game-changer for a Nintendo home console

They even officially set the launch away from the safer holiday period into spring in order to properly support the console!

Oregano

E3 is already 3 months after launch. Switch needs to sell well also in April, May and June to be a success. Both Wii U and 3ds had huge sales issues pretty much immediately post launch.

Yeah, it's not like they won't have stuff to show off. Sony manages to have good E3s year in, year out despite holding other conferences throughout the year and announcing stuff quite far off.

Neoxon

Maybe not all of them, but most. As mentioned earlier, there's a 50/50 chance that The Pokémon Company could hold back the reveal of Pokémon Stars for later (maybe as a separate Direct, like what happened with Sun/Moon). Plus there may be third party games revealed at E3 that could be coming to the Switch.

Vena

Consoles are not just launch games. Buying a console is a medium-long-term buy. You don't buy it and play the launch games and then throw it away.

None of the console manufacturers agree with you on what constitutes a hardware reveal.

And this isn't "just launch" unless you somehow failed to read "launch window" which is months after launch. Thats the entire first half to three quarters of the year already for the "window" (but I suspect they will reveal most if not all of their 2017 lineup at this event). That time frame and the games therein are going to take time to go through (on top of hardware and software features that I honestly don't expect to be wrapped up in just 20 minutes), they're not a sizzle reel... on top of the inevitable sizzle real for indies. A forty minute event is going to cover the above unless is either (a.) rushed to hell or (b.) not a forty minute event.

E3 would then be for building up into 2018 proper, that's not something for a launch event.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
None of the console manufacturers agree with you on what constitutes a hardware reveal.

And this isn't "just launch" unless you somehow failed to read "launch window" which is months after launch. Thats the entire first half to three quarters of the year already for the "window" (but I suspect they will reveal most if not all of their 2017 lineup at this event). That time frame and the games therein are going to take time to go through, they're not a sizzle reel... on top of the inevitable sizzle real for indies. A forty minute event is going to cover the above unless is either (a.) rushed to hell or (b.) not a forty minute event.

None of the console manufacturers you are talking about launch in March, 3 months before E3 and 7-8 months before holiday season.

E3 would then be for building up into 2018 proper, that's not something for a launch event.

Who said anything about building up 2018?

Edit: we discuss here about 2017 line-up (except 1-2 surprises kept for E3) and some 1-2-3 hints for 2018.

KooopaKid

Banned
This is Nintendo's last chance. They need to prove Switch is future proof. They need to show a new Nintendo game is coming out at least every 2 months during the first year.

Debirudog

Obviously they don't need to show everything but there should be enough looks into the future that people aren't thinking "okay and what about after the summer?".

well that's what NateDrake seems to imply but apparently that's not good enough for some people that want them to reveal all their cards.

I just don't get why Nintendo shouldn't play the pragmatic card where they can show off a mix of games we already know are coming and a few surprises. That's already good for me though I would be singing a different tune if they don't have anything more at E3.

It feels like if Nintendo does this, where they have an amazing hail Mary conference in January but little to no surprises at E3 like 2013, then they would ultimately receive backlash.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just to clarify the position you're coming from, NateDrake, I suppose you're just talking about your personal expectations for the structure of the event, with no knowledge on it involved, correct me if I'm wrong.

That makes no sense- the system will be out in 2 months. Unless you think the 5 games shown in the trailer constitute the entire launch window lineup?

MK, Splatoon, Zelda, and a mini game collection for launch is probably it for 1st party.
Leakers have already said that 3rd party lineup is weak.

i expected nothing more and i truly believe that people are setting them up for a huge dissapointment if they think there's a lot more than this.

maybe some trailers for down the line stuff.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
well that's what NateDrake seems to imply but apparently that's not good enough for some people that want them to reveal all their cards.

I just don't get why Nintendo shouldn't play the pragmatic card where they can show off a mix of games we already know are coming and a few surprises. That's already good for me though I would be singing a different tune if they don't have anything more at E3.

It feels like if Nintendo does this, where they have an amazing hail Mary conference in January but little to no surprises at E3 like 2013, then they would ultimately receive backlash.

I don't think they should show off everything- but there should be a range and breadth of titles that give potential owners confidence in the system. Full launch window. Some further out 1st party stuff, and frankly any decent 3rd party game they can put out there.

Vena

None of the console manufacturers launch in March, 3 months before E3 and 7-8 months before holiday season.

And?

They launch in November, and then have nothing for months after until E3 so you'd think they'd actually be the ones who should have announced far further into the future than what the Switch is doing. The Switch can focus on launch, start off with a launch + launch window momentum and then offer the "long term" proposition at E3 as most other publishers do (all the same) but in a shorter time frame, potentially allowing for a nicer momentum packaging up front.

And, again, you have zero appreciation of time management with what you're asking for, straight up. Nor do you seem to have any appreciation for how noisy a launch event is for news immediately thereafter, its going to be a total clusterfuck to announce anything of worth down the road unless it either gets buried or it buries something near launch. Go look at the news from the PS4 and X1 launch, its a right mess of hardware, OS, software (OS), and software (games), on top of other random sides and opinions and impressions.

The message at a reveal is about the launch and its software, and they need that to be clear both from themselves and in how the media covers it. They can't reveal 30+ games and then announce the Legend of Space Fire Emeblem staring Samus Aran, and have it dominate everything while also being year+ out.

Neoxon

MK, Splatoon, Zelda, and a mini game collection for launch is probably it for 1st party.
Leakers have already said that 3rd party lineup is weak.

i expected nothing more and i truly believe that people are setting them up for a huge dissapointment if they think there's a lot more than this.

maybe some trailers for down the line stuff.
Actually, Laura Kate Dale mentioned that Mario Kart 8 Switch may not be out at launch, but rather within the first 3 months. Splatoon may be the only enhanced Wii U port at launch (though bundled with the Deluxe Edition).

As for Zelda, Laura's heard that it won't be out until June (I know Emily Rogers also heard that Zelda won't be ready for launch, but I'm not sure if she also heard June specifically), with the new 3D Mario game filling the role of the token launch title for the Switch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Indeed lol. Might not have been the best example.

It is, updated to todays market situation (small publishers substituted by indie dev )

None of the console manufacturers you are talking about launch in March, 3 months before E3 and 7-8 months before holiday season.

None of the console manufacturers had a wiiu or years of struggling third parties support. Is people pretending switch isnt the last call for Nintendo at least in the home console segment? I hope Nintendo hq is more aware about the risk (or better : committed to solve their home hw issues )

This is Nintendo's last chance. They need to prove Switch is future proof. They need to show a new Nintendo game is coming out at least every 2 months during the first year.

Yes
Future proof is a good definition

Actually, Laura Kate Dale mentioned that Mario Kart 8 Switch may not be out at launch, but rather within the first 3 months. Splatoon may be the only enhanced Wii U port at launch (though bundled with the Deluxe Edition).

As for Zelda, Laura's heard that it won't be out until June (I know Emily Rogers also heard that Zelda won't be ready for launch, but I'm not sure if she also heard June specifically), with the new 3D Mario game filling the role of the token launch title for the Switch.

the way they marketed Zelda i would eat a broom if it's not out on launch.
i also see no reason to delay MK unless they want to space out the ports.

Vena

Who asked for this?

Like four of you are asking for some crazy nonsense.

Though I was also exaggerating, as I don't expect 30 games, but more in the ~10-20~ range for the launch + launch window area at this event. Maybe a few less, maybe a few more. It will depend on size and scope, port, and/or indies (though I expect indies to be a reel unless its a high flag title).

And I think we already know of more than 10 from leaks.

Yall saying wait till e3 gotta think about what yall are saying already..

"Wait until E3" 2013
"Wait until E3" 2014
"Wait until E3" 2015
"Wait until E3" 2016

Instant L

schuelma

Let's put this another way- we are almost 2 months away from launch. So far like 8 games have been revealed for the system in one way or another. Look at basically every other system launch and make a list of known software when the system launched- they are very very robust lists. The one possible exception is the Wii U, and why people think Nintendo should copy that strategy is beyond me. The idea that Nintendo can get away with the bare minimum in this marketplace is seriously misguided IMO.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Though I was also exaggerating, as I don't expect 30 games, but more in the ~10-20~ range for the launch + launch window area at this event. Maybe a few less, maybe a few more. It will depend on size and scope, port, and/or indies (though I expect indies to be a reel unless its a high flag title).

Then you haven't read properly our posts. Go back and read them.

schuelma

And I think we already know of more than 10 from leaks.

Shown off or announced? Again, repeating myself, but the idea that Nintendo is in a position to only have 15-20 announced titles for a platform and expect a strong launch is foolhardy.

Nintendo needs to blow people away in january. They HAVE to. If Switch fails what else can they do but go 3rd party. "wait till E3" is not going to cut it, but I dont think Natedrake and fellow insiders really know whats happening in january.

Neoxon

the way they marketed Zelda i would eat a broom if it's not out on launch.
i also see no reason to delay MK unless they want to space out the ports.
Even Laura Kate Dale would have believed that if she didn't get info from her sources, but what she's heard is pointing towards June (at least in Europe). And as mentioned earlier, Emily Rogers is also hearing that BotW won't be out at the Switch's launch.

As for MK8S, I recall Laura mentioning that MK8S is basically done & could be switched with Splatoon as the Day 1 port (correct me if I'm wrong). But going off of the schedule she put out, Mario Kart 8's enhanced port is coming within the first 3 months, but not Day 1.

schuelma

I have, actually. I think you're all completely off base on what to expect from a hardware reveal.

By nature of the timing it has to be both. You're not going to sell a system coming off the barren Wii U years with a 4-5 month window of 15-20 games. Hell the Wii U launched with 20+ titles!

Edit- now if you are strictly talking about what Nintendo really shows off/focuses on..ok. But there have to be a shit ton of actual software announcements just to show potential owners a healthy ecosystem.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have, actually. I think you're all completely off base on what to expect from a hardware reveal.

It's a hardware reveal that happens 2 months before launch. Sony and Microsoft did they hardware reveals 9 and 6 months before launch and they had also an E3 5 months before launch. You're so focused on being a "hardware reveal" that you're losing the big picture.

2 months is already cutting close for the advertising campaign for launch, so January event is practically also the kick-off for that.

antonz

Nintendo is not going to detail every game in development so if that is what you feel that they need to do then they already failed.

They will talk hardware for x amount of time then detail what you can expect at launch and probably through the summer with some longer term teases. Then say check back in 2 months at E3 where we detail even more future software of the Switch. One big difference will be the fact Nintendo will no longer be gagging developers. So they will be free to announce/hype their own softwares

You guys have to realize, we are not asking for 30 games! But understand this console is going to have games both the portable and home console will get. IMO our expectations are in place based on this alone. If they dont there will be ton of questions.. what are these developers even doing...

Vena

Shown off or announced? Again, repeating myself, but the idea that Nintendo is in a position to only have 15-20 announced titles for a platform and expect a strong launch is foolhardy.

Shown off or announced what?

15-20 titles at launch + launch window with E3 in three months is too few?! What nonsensical world have I woken up in this morning.

By nature of the timing it has to be both. You're not going to sell a system coming off the barren Wii U years with a 4-5 month window of 15-20 games. Hell the Wii U launched with 20+ titles!

If you're going to count the WiiU's launch as "20 games" on numerics alone, then the Switch is going to have more than that. But that list of 20 games includes old ass ports, indie games, and a handful of high profile new games.

Switch launching with Mario 64-2 would eclipse that alone. On top of Zelda in launch and everything else rumored so far. Numerics are meaningless if they lack quality, but I don't even think the low bar for quantity you've set with such a loose parameterization is going to be hard to top either with *just launch and launch window* games.

It's a hardware reveal that happens 2 months before launch. Sony and Microsoft did they hardware reveals 9 and 6 months before launch and they had also an E3 5 months before launch. You're so focused on being a "hardware reveal" that you're losing the big picture.

2 months is already cutting close for the advertising campaign for launch, so January event is practically also the kick-off for that.

The timing makes it harder to annouce long term projects, not easier. Its going to be a blitz of info on launch stuff coming for two months. They need a clean and clear message on what will be coming when the system lands just two months thereafter, they don't have time or the luxury of media dissemination life-times to throw out projects well into the future.

Nintendo is not going to detail every game in development so if that is what you feel that they need to do then they already failed.

They will talk hardware for x amount of time then detail what you can expect at launch and probably through the summer with some longer term teases. Then say check back in 2 months at E3 where we detail even more future software of the Switch. One big difference will be the fact Nintendo will no longer be gagging developers. So they will be free to announce/hype their own softwares

Bingo.

schuelma

Shown off or announced what?

15-20 titles at launch + launch window with E3 in three months is too few?! What nonsensical world have I woken up in this morning.

I'm saying announced titles. You aren't seriously arguing a system in today's world could thrive with 15-20 titles total during the first 3-4 months of launching are you?

It's a missed opportunity if Zelda doesn't make it because that game will have bigger perceptive punch than a new 3D Mario.
Plus, if you have a game as big as Zelda, you can have mostly filler alongside it at launch.
I don't think Skyrim plus 3D Mario is nearly enough.
Splatoon being ready would make Japan go bonkers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom