• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Sony and MS can also get away with showing less games at a hardware reveal because literally any time a third party does their own announcement it's for their systems.

You just need to look at E3; despite publishers having their own conferences you only need to watch Nintendo's to know what's coming to Nintendo systems.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmh...I believe we should look back at the 3DS/Wii U presentations (both E3 and pre-launch events), and distinguish between games shown on sage and games just "announced" (even by a few-seconds video in a reel). I think that would help as context for this conversation.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mmmh...I believe we should look back at the 3DS/Wii U presentations (both E3 and pre-launch events), and distinguish between games shown on sage and games just "announced" (even by a few-seconds video in a reel). I think that would help as context for this conversation.

Right. I'm strictly talking about the latter. I agree that Nintendo's main focus will be concise and...direct.

TunaLover

Let's put this another way- we are almost 2 months away from launch. So far like 8 games have been revealed for the system in one way or another. Look at basically every other system launch and make a list of known software when the system launched- they are very very robust lists. The one possible exception is the Wii U, and why people think Nintendo should copy that strategy is beyond me. The idea that Nintendo can get away with the bare minimum in this marketplace is seriously misguided IMO.
Exactly, but even more worrisome "would be" the fact that Nintendo has been silent for about one and half years now regarding development of their main teams, I really doubt they don't have have a shiton of titles to show or already in development, heck they are focusing in just one system, Nintendo is double down on Switch both of their markets.

Vena

I'm saying announced titles. You aren't seriously arguing a system in today's world could thrive with 15-20 titles total during the first 3-4 months of launching are you?

Given your loose definition of "20 games" for WiiU, I'd say that my expectations on total software is considerably higher but I was being considerably more stringent on what I was using to count.

Reki

I understand that getting confidence in your product is important, but I can't see how some are expecting Nintendo to reveal everything scheduled for 2017 and beyond in the event.

I mean, they could do that, and you could generate an important amount of hype, but you have to sustain it through the year. E3 comes and you can show a lot of gameplay, but no announcements since you already showed all of your cards. I can already see the press bashing Nintendo for this in an industry accustomed to have the "surprise factor" as a force that drives sales.

Showing games far from release isn't a winning strategy either. You lose momentum because you have to talk about the same games in consecutive directs and E3s, the downgrade talk takes place, if a major shift in development occurs the fans will complain (see TMS or FFXV) and the hype deflates.

In terms of public perception, you are asking for an "incredible" Nintendo today and a "dissapointing" one later. We can have a healthy middle-ground especially considering that the third party situation beyond 2017 is uncertain at best.

NateDrake

Nintendo is not going to detail every game in development so if that is what you feel that they need to do then they already failed.

They will talk hardware for x amount of time then detail what you can expect at launch and probably through the summer with some longer term teases. Then say check back in 2 months at E3 where we detail even more future software of the Switch. One big difference will be the fact Nintendo will no longer be gagging developers. So they will be free to announce/hype their own softwares

I can see them doing launch day, launch window, a select portion of the summer releases (I'd consider June to be in the launch window), and then tease a few major holiday releases and maybe even an early 2018 title. The holiday and early 2018 stuff is then expanded on at E3 with playable demos and such. I don't see the need to place a major focus on late 2017 and early 2018 releases in January 2017.

Switch is launching with a new 3D Mario - a first since Mario 64.

I don't think they need to do another X or Yoshi Wii U situation of showing the games 2yrs+ ahead of release.

Neoxon

I can see them doing launch day, launch window, a select portion of the summer releases (I'd consider June to be in the launch window), and then tease a few major holiday releases and maybe even an early 2018 title. The holiday and early 2018 stuff is then expanded on at E3 with playable demos and such. I don't see the need to place a major focus on late 2017 and early 2018 releases in January 2017.

Switch is launching with a new 3D Mario - a first since Mario 64.

I don't think they need to do another X or Yoshi Wii U situation of showing the games 2yrs+ ahead of release.
Did you hear this from your own sources or are you going off of what Laura & Emily said publicly.

schuelma

Given your loose definition of "20 games" for WiiU, I'd say that my expectations on total software is considerably higher but I was being considerably more stringent on what I was using to count.

Ok. Now I think we are on the same page. I agree we are not going to see 20 extremely high profile titles.

Vena

Ok. Now I think we are on the same page. I agree we are not going to see 20 extremely high profile titles.

If you want to count indies and late as ports, then the number for Switch is likely going to be pushing high if not higher on indies alone at and around launch, and that will come from their own mouth. Nintendo's policies with indies have been nothing short of the top and the new kits have been resoundingly favorable from indies who have spoken about it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Indies are not an issue. Wii U got indies too.

The issue here are the 1st party games and exclusives for the 1st year of life and the proof that there is a steady flow of them and not the repeat of Wii U and 3ds. For that you don't need to show 20 games, you need to show launch games, post-launch games (Q2 2017) and show/tease holidays games (not even all of them) and tease a couple of early 2018 games. That's roughly 10-13 1st party/exclusive games including the 3 Wii U ports.

Oregano

To be honest I think Nintendo needs to show more third party stuff in advance than first party. Nobody had any doubts that Nintendo was still going to support Wii U.

What they should avoid is announcing a bunch of old ports/remasters for launch and saying nothing else because then everyone will be like "okay but is it getting x third party title?", "I thought y third party was supposed to be working on a Switch game?".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be honest I think Nintendo needs to show more third party stuff in advance than first party. Nobody had any doubts that Nintendo was still going to support Wii U.

That's a different issue and for that I think the better strategy would have been to give 3rd parties freedom to promote the Switch versions already for the one already announced.

You guys, this is a presentation, not Nintendo's SpaceWorld E3 January 2017 Edition.

I'm more interested in the device itself because I'm actually tired of having an old ass online system and want to see a slick, intuitive OS. Games will be there, no doubt about that.

This; People need to keep their expectations in check.

schuelma

What they should avoid is announcing a bunch of old ports/remasters for launch and saying nothing else because then everyone will be like "okay but is it getting x third party title?", "I thought y third party was supposed to be working on a Switch game?".

I agree.

Oregano

That's a different issue and for that I think the better strategy would have been to give 3rd parties freedom to promote the Switch versions already for the one already announced.

I'd probably agree there. It'll be sad if we have to go through that period again where publishers specifically say "No Switch version is planned" in their PR like happened with Wii U.

oti

Banned
I think it's peculiar how we went from "Zelda on Day One OF COURSE!" to "Whoopsiedo, they underestimated the QA and translation efforts so Zelda can't be Day One but this Mario game we've only seen 10 seconds of definitely can".

I know Nintendo is mysterious and all in a lot of ways but that rumour just rubs me the wrong way.

Debirudog

I think it's peculiar how we went from "Zelda on Day One OF COURSE!" to "Whoopsiedo, they underestimated the QA and translation efforts so Zelda can't be Day One but this Mario game we've only seen 10 seconds of definitely can".

I know Nintendo is mysterious and all in a lot of ways but that rumour just rubs me the wrong way.

well I think a lot of us are assuming that thanks to Emily and Laura.

Yep.
Miyamoto said a ways back that they MIGHT have something to show of a new kind of Mario at the next E3 but now it's a day 1 game???
Plus, that footage in the Switch teaser trailer looked like something thrown together for the sake of having something.

oti

Banned
well I think a lot of us are assuming that thanks to Emily and Laura.
Sure, but if you think about the actual implications of this I would definitely be worried about Nintendo's project management capabilities. I don't see it.
I want both. But we will get Mario first just because it will have a multiplayer mode (probably, i'm just guessing).

They need to sell those tiny controllers.
There could be tons of othe ways to sell them.

Really, this blows my fucking mind just thinking about it this way. I mean growing up, most would've thought Nintendo would just do this:

Game Boy/Game Boy Color = Portable NES
Game Boy Advance = Portable SNES
Nintendo DS = Portable N64
Nintendo 3DS = Portable GameCube
Nintendo Switch = Portable Wii

It's weird, GBA and even more DS were under their console counterparts, but then 3DS with its modern shaders felt like it leaped to near PS360 territory (but worse than GC in other ways) with games like Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (and even more so with Monster Hunter Stories, thank you Capcom).

Now Switch basically went into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE and is basically near PS4 and XBO? Beyond PS360 and even Wii U? What kind of voodoo is this? :p

Your post brings up an interesting point in that the games Nintendo's portable systems have usually received make us equate them to home consoles from past gens in power, despite that usually not being the case.

The original GB paled in comparison the NES (compare SML to the original SMB) in terms of resolution, sound, and lack of color (the GBC would eventually do better with color than the NES could though), but its software was optimized to the point of seeming like a portable NES. Cheaper memory in the late 90s helped as well, and I would put the best looking GBC games (Shantae and Star Ocean: Blue Sphere) ahead of anything on NES that isn't Kirby's Adventure personally.

The GBA was able to accomplish more than the SNES could, yet once again resolution and sound kept it from shining in a way that made it seem worse. I really doubt something like Driv3r would have been possible on SNES, yet the dark screen of the GBA, horrible sound, and less buttons makes SNES ports seem choppy and make the hardware seem underpowered. I'd put it between the SNES and PS1.

The DS is definitely worse than the N64, but there are some nice looking games on the system. Add texture filtering to SM64DS and I'd say it's aesthetically better than the original, but it is definitely running on less impressive hardware. I'd put it between PS1 and N64.

The 3DS is about as capable as a PS2 in my opinion, as I'd average out the PSP geometry with the shaders you mentioned. However, I feel like since portable gaming is less lucrative than mobile and has a much higher development cost than it once did, less effort is put into making these games look nice nowadays, and as a result we kind of have a lot of games that look like cheap mobile games on a very low resolution screen.

You have to keep in mind though that throughout all of these, Nintendo had taken a different approach to portable gaming than its rivals did. The GB launched next to the Game Gear, which was pretty much a portable SMS. The TurboExpress was released when its home console form was still relevant, and the GBA was underpowered compared to the N-Gage. The PSP was around the Dreamcast's level, and I'd say the Vita is the Wii with modern shaders/lighting.

Nintendo stuck with a low price/gimmick selling point for its handhelds that has usually worked to undermine the competition, but mobile has shaken up this model to the point where they've decided to consolidate both of their platforms in a continuation of the legacies of their past competitors. A slightly better Wii U with a modern feature set is what the Vita 2 would have been, and Nintendo has taken this, slapped on a dock and decided to call it their next home console because they know that a portable only console is no longer viable on a scale that it once was.

pislit

I get confused with the tech talk, but can the Switch be still fine without TV? Like I'll not be missing something. With all the confusion I read it seems like there is no difference in performance docked or as a handheld. How about PC monitor(probably too early to ask, but do Nintendo consoles play well with monitors)?

(I don't have TV and I don't have a need for it but I want Nintendo lol.)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sure, but if you think about the actual implications of this I would definitely be worried about Nintendo's project management capabilities.

You just need to look at the mobile app and games to doubt their project management capabilities. They practically did the exact same thing with Super Mario Run and AC and FE mobile games. After they delayed Nintendo Account, My Nintendo and Miitomo. And the 5th game for this fiscal year already vanished.

Sadist

Seeing the last few pages it seems to me folks are extremely good at not trying to understand each other.

The way I see it Nintendo has a lot of ground to cover with the presentation. While games are the most important ingredient for a new system, Switch still has a lot of unknown factors out there that need to be answered. We have no idea what the OS is like, what their plans are for their online platform, eShop, price, the VC and many, many more. A certain amount of time will be spent on these particular details. Honestly I expect some features will receive Nintendo Direct Minis like the Virtual Console; some news regarding the service will be shown on January 13th, but more detailed info (with a roadmap for releases) could hit not long before launch.

Regarding games, I'm expecting a focus on launch titles with some snippets regarding their future line-up. Their launch should be pretty beefy with a nice amount of retail releases plus a few smaller releases on eShop. What comes next... is another question. It's really hard to make an educated guess.

sinxtanx

How much you've seen of a game has no bearing on how done it is.

I think people should expect a fairly meaty presentation. It seems like they don't want to repeat their past mistakes with the message of the switch. We won't have all of nintendo's projects on this presentation, but i strongly believe that the roadmap for 2017 will be fully presented, with the exception of one or two games, like pokémon or retro's new game, for example. They will also most likely tease some projects like the xenoblade game.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be a good presentation with a decent amount of games. They will show more zelda, the new 3d mario, detail the enhanced ports, probably show pikmin, retro's new game, other known franchises, like animal crossing, a new IP as rumoured. E3 will details games that are in the holiday season and show more games for 2018 and beyond. They know that they need to show a steady flow of games. No need to hold back for the presentation that will define the switch.

Josh5890

I think that with the exception of one first big first party game, everything big for 2017 will be announced in two weeks. I think Nintendo holds one card for E3 that comes out in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom