• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Voice chat a thing then? Laura didn't want to talk about it, so that means there is something.
Voice chat was a thing on WiiU but it was used poorly. No private chat party option and Nintendo didn't use it for their games. So it's not so much about there being voice chat as it is a proper chat system in place.

EDarkness

Voice chat was a thing on WiiU but it was used poorly. No private chat party option and Nintendo didn't use it for their games. So it's not so much about there being voice chat as it is a proper chat system in place.

I've always wondered why people want it. I've played many games on different systems and no one chats. I played a ton of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and no one chatted. I don't see the point and the negatives of it are pretty pronounced. Whether the NS has or not, doesn't matter to me. I don't think it'll matter to most people, either. I think it's just some checkbox games and systems have don't matter that much in practice, but matters as a talking point.

Platy

Man a friend is freaking out on one of those "reddit" rumors and it is full of bullshit.

Like Skylanders, Switch LEGO City being the 3ds one and ... overwatch with a nintendo cameo LOL

are you guys expecting to see any first-party side-scrolling platformers the first year? if so, which ones?

the timing is good for a new DK

NateDrake

I've always wondered why people want it. I've played many games on different systems and no one chats. I played a ton of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and no one chatted. I don't see the point and the negatives of it are pretty pronounced. Whether the NS has or not, doesn't matter to me. I don't think it'll matter to most people, either. I think it's just some checkbox games and systems have don't matter that much in practice, but matters as a talking point.

I've always felt it was about having the option available. Allowing the choice of using party chat or voice chat in game would appease those who seek it. Those who don't want to use it simply won't. Removal of the option is what people have the most issue with, in my opinion.

If I'm not chatting with a friend or someone I know, I don't use voice chat. Hearing a teenager call me a racial slur isn't appealing.

jmizzal

I thought they were not even sure if it would happens or not? I might miss something?

That was an old rumor, after how Mario Marker 3DS is selling, no way it doesnt come to switch, prob come later on since 3D Mario is prob at launch.

They can really soup up Mario Maker Switch

Speely

Banned
I've always felt it was about having the option available. Allowing the choice of using party chat or voice chat in game would appease those who seek it. Those who don't want to use it simply won't. Removal of the option is what people have the most issue with, in my opinion.

If I'm not chatting with a friend or someone I know, I don't use voice chat. Hearing a teenager call me a racial slur isn't appealing.

This is exactly how I approach voice chat. Hasn't failed me yet.

gogojira

Party chat. Voice chat is a must. It's absurd that there is even a doubt that it'll be an option on a new system in 2017 but with Nintendo, you never really know.

Party chat with friends. That's all I need.

The problem is that Private Party chat did a massive amount of damage to online chat in general. The change was night and day once the 360 added party chat, it really destroyed any hope of good multiplayer voice chat.

I understand why people want it and I understand why console makers give the people what they want, but it's had really bad unintended results.

EDarkness

Party chat. Voice chat is a must. It's absurd that there is even a doubt that it'll be an option on a new system in 2017 but with Nintendo, you never really know.

Party chat. That's all I need.

Why not use other chat programs like Vent? That's what my friends and I use if we're going to chat together. I've never gotten them to even want to bother with it even on the PS4. Just don't see the point when there are so many other options that are better. We tried it on the 360 and it was pretty terrible. Went back to Vent after that.

Richie

On paper that's not too shabby, but didn't the DS have like a 100+ million install base? Then again, that would depend on the average attach rate.

Top down GTA isn't what one thinks of when thinking GTA though. It'd be like saying Sony isn't selling this generation then positioning the Vita as proof. A true GTA would sell for sure, I'd bet anything it'd be an easy million seller on Switch.

gogojira

Why not use other chat programs like Vent? That's what my friends and I use if we're going to chat together. I've never gotten them to even want to bother with it even on the PS4. Just don't see the point when there are so many other options that are better. We tried it on the 360 and it was pretty terrible. Went back to Vent after that.

Because that's a pain in the ass compared to a built in system. Why would I want to rely on third party shit rigged to a PC than just sending an invite on my friends list?

It's not that complicated. Keep using Ventrilo or the 8,000 other options and let others use integrated chat.

That honestly doesn't surprise me. The audience Rockstar goes for doesn't really exist on Nintendo systems.

I don't agree with this. I think Rockstar and Nintendo treat their franchises very similarly in the way they value them. The audiences aren't necessarily the same, but look at GTAV for PS4/XBO. It's still selling for $40+ a couple years after it launched as a port.

Plus, Rockstar continues to release free DLC for GTAV years after release, which few other companies do except for Nintendo. I wish they had a better relationship because if Rockstar brought their games to the Switch I don't think I'd need another system.

Okay so Samus ship has a cameo in Tropical Freeze, right?

I've got it. I know Retros next game.

Donkey Kong 3 has Samus as the lead saving the Kong family with her tag partner Lanky Kong.

So voice chat was heavily hinted at by Laura Kate Dale and OBE1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ICkaJmMO4

so maybe Nintendo is changing the policy

the question came up and Laura was about to answer it but ask Obe1 if that was in his list of 12 days of Switchmas which are his leak news videos he is planning he check and Voice Chat is one of his topics

so I'm guessing Voice Chat is in since reporting no voice chat would not be new news
not sure if this topic was discussed here yet though

NateDrake

So voice chat was heavily hinted at by Laura Kate Dale and OBE1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ICkaJmMO4

so maybe Nintendo is changing the policy

the question came up and Laura was about to answer it but ask Obe1 if that was in his list of 12 days of Switchmas which are his leak news videos he is planning he check and Voice Chat is one of his topics

so I'm guessing Voice Chat is in since reporting no voice chat would not be new news
not sure if this topic was discussed here yet though

We've discussed the idea of voice chat on this page a bit. And as I said earlier, voice chat being present really isn't exciting or new. Wii U had voice chat, but it was hardly used aside from games like CoD. Switch allowing voice chat is ho-hum - unless we are seeing Nintendo becoming more open and allowing features like Private Party Chat.

Voice Chat alone is nothing signification.

TLZ

Banned
Really, this blows my fucking mind just thinking about it this way. I mean growing up, most would've thought Nintendo would just do this:

Game Boy/Game Boy Color = Portable NES
Game Boy Advance = Portable SNES
Nintendo DS = Portable N64
Nintendo 3DS = Portable GameCube/Wii
Nintendo Switch = Portable Wii U

FTFY.

That's what I was expecting anyway so this doesn't blow my mind. What does blow my mind though is the gimped home console if rumors are true.

ekurisona

Two weeks

nintendo-switch-memes-06.jpg

We've discussed the idea of voice chat on this page a bit. And as I said earlier, voice chat being present really isn't exciting or new. Wii U had voice chat, but it was hardly used aside from games like CoD. Switch allowing voice chat is ho-hum - unless we are seeing Nintendo becoming more open and allowing features like Private Party Chat.

Voice Chat alone is nothing signification.
Doesn't the Wii u have a facetime like channel?

Hope nothing gets leaked before then, I want to get blown away on the 12th.

You can bet sites like Kotaku and Eurogamer are trying to get what are basically the final hard details about the system (final specs and price) right now. The last few days before a gaming event is really when details start emerging.

tebunker

Banned
Yup. A useless application. If you could at least play a game while using that chat app it would have been used by some...maybe.

Hell I would have played more Mario kart online with friends. As it was I had no desire because you can't talk shit during a race

Wii U voice chat was fairly well implemented in MH 3 Ultimate. If we can see more stuff like that with system-level friends registered through their MyNintendo account names I'd be happy. A party system making it easy to join a group and jump in to games it would be ideal but I'm not expecting it.

More realistic is a local multiplayer party system with linked Switches in the same area

FTFY.

That's what I was expecting anyway so this doesn't blow my mind. What does blow my mind though is the gimped home console if rumors are true.
You expected Nintendo's portable after the 3DS to be a full generation ahead of the PSVita? The undocked Switch is more like a "portable XB1/PS4" than a portable Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom