• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You expected Nintendo's portable after the 3DS to be a full generation ahead of the PSVita? The undocked Switch is more like a "portable XB1/PS4" than a portable Wii U.
Considering how quickly mobile hardware advanced after the release of the Vita and the 3DS, that's not so far-fetched, if you think about it. I mean, the Vita got outdated pretty quickly whereas the PSP remained pretty high end for a while. I was personally expecting their next handheld to be a 360-, when it comes to power, so a handheld that's reasonably above the Wii U is a pleasant surprise

Neoxon

Really? What happened besides Rabbits, BGAE 2, , Wii U ports Pokemon and Pikmin?
Pricing, 3D Mario at launch, Zelda in June, & I think a few other things concerning the Switch itself (power, Pro Controller having gyro, touch screen, IR blaster on the right Joy-Con, etc.). I guess Retro & Monolith Soft's games are still surprises (plus the identities of the new Smash 4 characters), but that's about it on the first party side of things.....unless Nintendo completely blind-sides us.

Astral Dog

Pricing, 3D Mario at launch, Zelda in June, & I think a few other things concerning the Switch itself (power, Pro Controller having gyro, touch screen, IR blaster on the right Joy-Con, etc.). I guess Retro & MonolithSoft's games are still surprises (plus the identities of the new Smash 4 characters), but that's about it on the first party side of things.....unless Nintendo completely blind-sides us.
Man i would be very dissapointed if that was all!
Lots of stuff have been leaked but not much that Nintendo hasn't shown besides the Ubisoft games and ports/remasters of Wii U on software.

Moar Games, that would not be enough to blow us up.

Really? What happened besides Rabbits, BGAE 2, , Wii U ports Pokemon and Pikmin?

Are you forgetting EVERYTHING besides games? The OS, online/account system, and other system features. We know absolutely none of that. They didn't even mock it up during the reveal video and that's a significant portion of the system.

Not to mention 1st party games that I doubt were leaked

DMONKUMA

Man i would be very dissapointed if that was all!
Lots of stuff have been leaked but not much that Nintendo hasn't shown besides the Ubisoft games and ports/remasters of Wii U.

Moar Games, that would not be enough to blow us up.

There might be at least one thing that'll be a totally surprise for everyone revealed in the presentation, unexpected but exciting. I'm betting on that at least.

Astral Dog

Are you forgetting EVERYTHING besides games? The OS, online/account system, and other system features. We know absolutely none of that. They didn't even mock it up during the reveal video and that's a significant portion of the system.

Not to mention 1st party games that I doubt were leaked
He said first party so i assumed he was talking about the games lineup not the system itself 😕
There might be at least one thing that'll be a totally surprise for everyone revealed in he presentation, unexpected but exciting. I'm betting on that at least.
Yep more surprises still hyped, even with the leaks they didn't reveal much.

Not really, only in architecture

Which by itself is a very big deal. You also have to consider that many people think of the PSVita as a "portable PS3" despite it being much weaker.

Considering how quickly mobile hardware advanced after the release of the Vita and the 3DS, that's not so far-fetched, if you think about it. I mean, the Vita got outdated pretty quickly whereas the PSP remained pretty high end for a while. I was personally expecting their next handheld to be a 360-, when it comes to power, so a handheld that's reasonably above the Wii U is a pleasant surprise

Yeah, I was also expecting a portable that was notably beyond the PSVita, but was technically less than half the power of the PS3/360/Wii U.

Yeah, I was also expecting a portable that was notably beyond the PSVita, but was technically less than half the power of the PS3/360/Wii U.
Yeah, that seemed to be about right. I guess that, since the Switch is meant to replace both the 3DS and Wii U, they were forced to go with a handheld noticeably above the Wii U

Astral Dog

Which by itself is a very big deal. You also have to consider that many people think of the PSVita as a "portable PS3" despite it being much weaker.

True but technically it was never be, and despite some showcases people eventually realized the Vita was not a portable PS3.

I just say there is a big difference between portable Wii U and portable PS4/ONE, and despite the huge advantage of RAM, and half of CPU power, the Switch might be closer to the last Nintendo system is in terms of real processing capabilities. Specially if you are talking about undocked keep those expectations in check.

But we shall see, i still have a bit of hope the system will surprise in a good way and not be what those leaks appear to be ;)

True but technically it was never be, and despite some showcases people eventually realized the Vita was not a portable PS3.

I just say there is a big difference between portable Wii U and portable PS4/ONE, and despite the huge advantage of RAM, and half of CPU power, the Switch might be closer to the last Nintendo system is in terms of real processing capabilities. Specially if you are talking about undocked keep those expectations in check.

But we shall see, i still have a bit of hope the system will surprise in a good way and not be what those leaks appear to be ;)

Besides the incomplete specs we may have, we have not really heard of any devs that has been upset at the actual system's performance. The scenario you hope to happen may not be farfetched.

Speely

Banned
Besides the incomplete specs we may have, we have not really heard of any devs that has been upset at the actual system's performance. The scenario you hope to happen may not be farfetched.

This is a big thing for me. While posters are going straight to doom and gloom, I've literally not heard one dev badmouth this platform. The only comments from 3rd parties have been very positive.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This is a big thing for me. While posters are going straight to doom and gloom, I've literally not heard one dev badmouth this platform. The only comments from 3rd parties have been very positive.
Heard from reading around the web or in person?

Astral Dog

On the good side, i was thinking even at the worst case scenario, the difference between Wii U and Switch will be bigger and more noticeable than GC to Wii, PSP to PS2, and PS3 to Wii U. Plus as a portable thats very impressive

asagami_

Banned
I just want to know if Persona 5 gets a port before buy a PS3 in April.
I will still buy it for Trails of Cold Steel, unless some crazy miracle those game reach to Switch lol

Dakhil

I think that could change as the Nintendo Switch becomes closer to launch due to really strict NDAs.

If I remember correctly, developers started badmouthing the Wii U when the Wii U was really close to launch.

Oersted

I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up that high. Most of the news was likely already leaked, at least from a first party perspective.

We knew about Zelda, about the existence of Pikmin, 3D Mario was obvious, just like Splatoon/Mario Kart/Smash (the jury was just out on being ports or not).

Pokemon I would say was the only real leak, and that was also sort of given, with Switch being portable and no other Nintendo console on the horizon.

We haven't seen anything of Pikmin, we don't know what they added to the ports, we have seen 12 seconds of Mario and how exactly Pokemon will look like is a mystery.

And there is that crazy new Nintendo IP and whatever Retro is up to.

We know alot, but most things you could also figure out with educated guesses.

We don't really know how all these games will play out.

Neoxon

We knew about Zelda, about the existence of Pikmin, 3D Mario was obvious, just like Splatoon/Mario Kart/Smash (the jury was just out on being ports or not).

Pokemon I would say was the only real leak, and that was also sort of given, with Switch being portable and no other Nintendo console on the horizon.

We haven't seen anything of Pikmin, we don't know what they added to the ports, we have seen 12 seconds of Mario and how exactly Pokemon will look like is a mystery.

And there is that crazy new Nintendo IP and whatever Retro is up to.

We know alot, but most things you could also figure out with educated guesses.

We don't really know how all these games will play out.
To be fair, Game Freak was known for staying on older hardware until the bitter end, so Pokémon on the Switch's first year wasn't a guarantee. Though I will give you the mystery new IP & Retro's game, the latter of which I brought up in a later post. Though oddly enough, you forgot to mention Monolith Soft's project, which may or may not be at the January event.

Thoraxes

Nah.
They need anything left that will differentiate themselves in a positive way from the other two big dogs and that would spit in the face of their value proposal.

I think a paid service for maybe cloud saves or something would be appreciated, if they couldn't do it for free. I'd assume cloud saves would require some monetary upkeep though.

EDarkness

Because that's a pain in the ass compared to a built in system. Why would I want to rely on third party shit rigged to a PC than just sending an invite on my friends list?

It's not that complicated. Keep using Ventrilo or the 8,000 other options and let others use integrated chat.

All I have to say about that is, "Good luck." I'll be extremely surprised if there's a party chat or even voice chat option. I still don't know how using Vent is a pain in the ass. It's gotta be the simplest voice chat program out there....

Oersted

I think that could change as the Nintendo Switch becomes closer to launch due to really strict NDAs.

If I remember correctly, developers started badmouthing the Wii U when the Wii U was really close to launch.

You don't.

To be fair, Game Freak was known for staying on older hardware until the bitter end, so Pokémon on the Switch's first year wasn't a guarantee. Though I will give you the mystery new IP & Retro's game, the latter of which I brought up in a later post. Though oddly enough, you forgot to mention Monolith Soft's project, which may or may not be at the January event.

I'm not saying first year Pokemon was a given, but Pokemon on Switch was a educated guess you could easily make.

I think a paid service for maybe cloud saves or something would be appreciated, if they couldn't do it for free. I'd assume cloud saves would require some monetary upkeep though.

Cloud saves are already available and free.

Vic

We're often arguing whether the Switch will or won't get third-party support based on the raw performance of the system compared to the other systems, I'll say that the limited storage space available for digital downloads might be a bigger issue.

Reading around the web for sure.
Ah ok. Wasn't sure.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
By nature of the timing it has to be both. You're not going to sell a system coming off the barren Wii U years with a 4-5 month window of 15-20 games. Hell the Wii U launched with 20+ titles!

Edit- now if you are strictly talking about what Nintendo really shows off/focuses on..ok. But there have to be a shit ton of actual software announcements just to show potential owners a healthy ecosystem.

Exactly
Doesnt seems too protesterous at all
And if they will not manage it this way I will look very closely to april / june Npd threads. ..

Meesh

I seriously hope Switch ends up with some amazing niche shit! Doesn't matter what, RPGS, platformers, whatever... something that sets it apart from Xbone and PS4.

Vic

I seriously hope Switch ends up with some amazing niche shit! Doesn't matter what, RPGS, platformers, whatever... something that sets it apart from Xbone and PS4.
It probably will since it's poised to host a lot of titles mainly seen on mobile, but with button control.

Brhoom

Banned
"Anything over 250$ and it's DOA"

"If it's not as powerful as the Xbox and PS4 then it's DOA"

"If it's lasts under 5 hours then it's DOA"

So people want a handheld that has PS4 level graphics, under 250$, and lasts more than 5 hours?

It most likely will.

As for Virtual Console, they need to have the following:

Arcade, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo-Geo, Commodore 64, & MSX.

The Switch should definitely be more powerful enough to have most of those.

Seriously though screw leaks especially the ones that are leaked right before an event occurs.

Like can't you let people be surprised for once without ruining a presentation's surprise factor. Fucking clickbaits I swear.

Like don't get me wrong leaks can be good, but when you start leaking shit just a few days before a event its dickish.

Toad.T

Banned
Can I bring some levity to the thread? Like fake rumor/wishlist levity to the thread? Because I want to dissect that rumor dump that's been going around reddit so bad, but I don't know if that's allowed or if it's been discussed.

J@hranimo

Banned
Can I bring some levity to the thread? Like fake rumor/wishlist levity to the thread? Because I want to dissect that rumor dump that's been going around reddit so bad, but I don't know if that's allowed or if it's been discussed.

If you mean the Geno one, it's a fun fake leak and that's all.

lol at people complaining about leaks but have been praising and worshipping Laura/Emily for leaking info. Make your minds up.
I don't know.

I think the people complaining are not the ones praising and worshipping Laura/Emily. I feel there just annoyed at the leaks rather then angry.

Richie

So people want a handheld that has PS4 level graphics, under 250$, and lasts more than 5 hours?

257823.jpg

Man: How many of you kids would like the Switch to be portable, cheap and having a decent battery?

Kids: [clamoring] Oh, yeah! I would! Great idea! Yeah, that's it!

Man: And who would like to see it being a powerhouse of a machine? On par or better than the best in the market?

Kids: [clamoring] Me! Yeah! Oh, cool! Yeah, that's what I want!

Man: So, you want an affordable, portable machine with good battery... that's completely monstrous graphically and rivals or exceeds the PS4?

Kids: [all agreeing] That's right. Oh yeah, good.

Milhouse: And also, you should win things by playing.

257823.jpg

Man: How many of you kids would like the Switch to be portable, cheap and having a decent battery?

Kids: [clamoring] Oh, yeah! I would! Great idea! Yeah, that's it!

Man: And who would like to see it being a powerhouse of a machine? On par or better than the best in the market?

Kids: [clamoring] Me! Yeah! Oh, cool! Yeah, that's what I want!

Man: So, you want an affordable, portable machine with good battery... that's completely monstrous graphically and rivals or exceeds the PS4?

Kids: [all agreeing] That's right. Oh yeah, good.

Milhouse: And also, you should win things by playing.

Might as well make it free.

You asume that any of these statements are anything more than concern trolling.

Meesh

It most likely will.

As for Virtual Console, they need to have the following:

Arcade, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, MSX, Neo-Geo, Commodore 64, & MSX.

The Switch should definitely be more powerful enough to have most of those.
Agreed!!! And they better have Paper Mario TTYD and Skies of Arcadia in que... otherwise, slightly annoyed! Hey, I'm Canadian, I can only be so pissed because we're really neutral about shit lol.

vern

Saw some talk about rockstar on previous pages but couldn't find exactly what Laura said. I don't know if Rockstar will share anything at the Switch reveal but I do have it on pretty good authority that they are working on a port/remaster of a game that was available on the previous gen consoles.

Saw some talk about rockstar on previous pages but couldn't find exactly what Laura said. I don't know if Rockstar will share anything at the Switch reveal but I do have it on pretty good authority that they are working on a port/remaster of a game that was available on the previous gen consoles.
LA Noir obviously.

was that even Rockstar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom