• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

Saw some talk about rockstar on previous pages but couldn't find exactly what Laura said. I don't know if Rockstar will share anything at the Switch reveal but I do have it on pretty good authority that they are working on a port/remaster of a game that was available on the previous gen consoles.
GTA 5?

Net

Saw some talk about rockstar on previous pages but couldn't find exactly what Laura said. I don't know if Rockstar will share anything at the Switch reveal but I do have it on pretty good authority that they are working on a port/remaster of a game that was available on the previous gen consoles.

What have you been right about and can you link us to proof that you got it right beforehand?

I don't trust anyone except Emily and LKD anymore after all the frauds that have been exposed.

Red Dead Redemption

Roo

A port and a remaster are quite different so which one is it?

Astral Dog

"Anything over 250$ and it's DOA"

"If it's not as powerful as the Xbox and PS4 then it's DOA"

"If it's lasts under 5 hours then it's DOA"

So people want a handheld that has PS4 level graphics, under 250$, and lasts more than 5 hours?
And has third party support

"Anything over 250$ and it's DOA"

"If it's not as powerful as the Xbox and PS4 then it's DOA"

"If it's lasts under 5 hours then it's DOA"

So people want a handheld that has PS4 level graphics, under 250$, and lasts more than 5 hours?

I think what people are saying is that if they're pushing it as a console and it's not where the PS4 and Xbox One are, then they shouldn't charge $300 for it. I mean, next year there's a good chance both of those platforms are going to drop to $250 at some point. So, Nintendo would then have a platform that's not only weaker but also costs more. Are they expecting people to put that much value into the handheld aspect of it? Particularly in the west?

If they learned one thing about the two Wii releases it should be the importance of pricing. They nailed it with the Wii, hitting a sweetspot that made people want to jump on board right away. And they failed miserably with the Wii U. Overestimating just how much people would value a tablet-like controller.

Net

Hey I'll be a "let's play twenty questions" insider too.

Switch is getting a game that came out last generation, the letter R is in it, and it's from a major European development house.

You are so full of hope

Publisher only. Developer Bondy went the way of the Dodo.

Nah, just sane expectations. Except for Zelda's team by the time Switch is release, it'll be 2 to 3 years since Nintendo's teams have released something big.
3D World was 2013, DKCTF was Feb 2014, MK8 was May 2014, SSB was Nov 2014, Xeno X was April 2015 and Splatoon was May 2015. I can understand Mario Maker having a port since that kind of game isb't tied to story mode routes or whatever.
I can't understand these teams only coming up with empty hands, save for Monolith Soft. They just cant come up with ports.

Hermii

I think what people are saying is that if they're pushing it as a console and it's not where the PS4 and Xbox One are, then they shouldn't charge $300 for it. I mean, next year there's a good chance both of those platforms are going to drop to $250 at some point. So, Nintendo would then have a platform that's not only weaker but also costs more. Are they expecting people to put that much value into the handheld aspect of it? Particularly in the west?

If they learned one thing about the two Wii releases it should be the importance of pricing. They nailed it with the Wii, hitting a sweetspot that made people want to jump on board right away. And they failed miserably with the Wii U. Overestimating just how much people would value a tablet-like controller.
No matter what Nintendo says, tech wise this is a portable with a dock and not a home console. It's powerful enough for what it is.

And yea they expect people to value the portable aspect of it, that's the main selling point.

Net

Euro Truck Simulator?!

No, but if you keep guessing I'll drop more coy hints to get attention for a few more pages.

I will not, however, name a title because I don't want to be exposed as a fraud when it doesn't happen.

Oersted

Nah, just sane expectations. Except for Zelda's team by the time Switch is release, it'll be 2 to 3 years since Nintendo's teams have released something big.
3D World was 2013, DKCTF was Feb 2014, MK8 was May 2014, SSB was Nov 2014, Xeno X was April 2015 and Splatoon was May 2015. I can understand Mario Maker having a port since that kind of game isb't tied to story mode routes or whatever.
I can't understand these teams only coming up with empty hands, save for Monolith Soft. They just cant come up with ports.

You purposefully forgot 3D Mario, the new IP and Retros game, didn't you?

Sandfox

It's pretty safe to assume those teams are working on non-port projects.

Smash isn't Nintendo teams tho. It's Bandi Namco.

LordKano

I'll say bullshit. Laura talked about Rockstar at some point, and said that RDR2 won't happen because of the relation between Rockstar and Nintendo. No reason why GTAV would be any different.

They're likely just showing launch window games.

Potentially the greatest launch line up ever if so.

If that's all they have to show, Switch is DOA.

You purposefully forgot 3D Mario, the new IP and Retros game, didn't you?

I didn't because we saw nth of the 3D Mario and this one will have the task to make it exciting, which 3D World failed to do for many reasons. As for "new IP" and "Retro's game", these are meaningless things. At this point, Retro's game/secret project is a meme.

Jackano

I still believe that only revealing projects that will come out around the launch window would be disappointing.

It sure will be disappointing but that'll likely happen. Maybe one game or two will be shown that are planned further in the year but E3 will have more too and that's less than 3 months after launch.

And of course, BoTW may be planned for November so does it count?
I'm just saying that to piss out people who believe in a June release which still doesn't makes sense to me :D

LordKano

Man being an insider is easy. I should've done this a while ago.

Who wants to be an insider next?

I've heard about an unexpected new IP from an unexpected studio, maybe not revealed at the Jan.12 event, coming at some point for the Switch, and there's a E in the game's title ! It has innovative gameplay features like moving the character, do things with it and ultimately reaching a goal.

Interesting. Why?

The Hardcore fans would obviously jump in even if they are upset about ports, but wouldn't ports and a couple new games intrigue new buyers?

He's just a troll.

Any console launching with a 3D Mario and Zelda not long after is far from DOA.

Add in the likes of Mario Kart & Splatoon, as well as a full on Mario RPG and its obvious he's just trying for a reaction.

Net

I've heard about an unexpected new IP from an unexpected studio, maybe not revealed at the Jan.12 event, coming at some point for the Switch, and there's a E in the game's title ! It has innovative gameplay features like moving the character, do things with it and ultimately reaching a goal.

ETERNAL DARKNESS BY RETRO!

EDarkness

I'll say bullshit. Laura talked about Rockstar at some point, and said that RDR2 won't happen because of the relation between Rockstar and Nintendo. No reason why GTAV would be any different.

Eh? I don't understand this. What does a new game have to do with a port of an old game?

Ah, trolling I see. :)

Move along.

It's not trolling, you'll see why in my answer to the following post.

Interesting. Why?

The Hardcore fans would obviously jump in even if they are upset about ports, but wouldn't ports and a couple new games intrigue new buyers?

Because initial word of mouth is really important. Selling a console is also selling a premise of a support but also a certain philosophy. Basically, it tells who you are targeting, what is your mindset for a product.

What hurted Wii U was this lack of initial hype and the lack of hype for games.

Ports wont intrigue buyers because these people weren't interested with Wii U.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't know if Rockstar will share anything at the Switch reveal but I do have it on pretty good authority that they are working on a port/remaster of a game that was available on the previous gen consoles.

I think you overstretching it now. This kind of bullshit "insider info" that says actually nothing should be forbidden. You're throwing mud at a wall and see what sticks without taking any actual responsibility.

Might be a port, might be a remaster, might be at Switch event, maybe not, might be release in the next century or not.

Richie

She implied that we shouldn't expect anything from Rockstar due do this relation.

Would they really hold a generations' old grudge in the face of money to be made, though?

If the Switch is a success I can see them getting their toes wet at least, they did release 3 Wii games last gen.

Sandfox

It's not trolling, you'll see why in my answer to the following post.

Because initial word of mouth is really important. Selling a console is also selling a premise of a support but also a certain philosophy. Basically, it tells who you are targeting, what is your mindset for a product.

What hurted Wii U was this lack of initial hype and the lack of hype for games.

Ports wont intrigue buyers because these people weren't interested with Wii U.
There's obviously more too it than that.

EDarkness

She implied that we shouldn't expect anything from Rockstar due do this relation.

Okay. I don't believe that at all. Rockstar put Bully on the Wii. I don't believe for a moment that they'll avoid putting their games on Nintendo hardware if there's a market for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom