• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Most of them ? What late ports happened to outsell their OG releases on PS4/One ?

Are you talking about PC here? Because the discussion was about consoles before. And with PC is a different story all together. I don't think that even GTA V sales on PC are better than on PS4/One. Or most of the ports, be it late or not. PC market is much more diverse market. That's a different discussion.

18-Volt

-She says that Rockstar doesn't trust Nintendo meaning that they will probably not port Red Dead Redemption 2

I believe she meant Take Two. There can't be any trust issues between Nintendo and Rockstar. Rockstar are huge fans of Nintendo and have always wanted to make games for Nintendo platform but many of their projects have been shot down by Take Two management.

-She hasn't heard information about Overwatch coming to the Nintendo Switch

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no Overwatch for Switch as it's an online only title. But hopefully Activision at least has a Call of Duty game for Switch, Switch needs Call of Duty to go beyond just Nintendo loyalists.

-She says to not expect the new Mass Effect Andromeda for the Switch

This could be a big miss for Switch and Nintendo need to counter misses like these with their own big titles. None of launch window Wii U ports could do the job, I hope the "surprsies" Nintendo have for this month's event is actually for first half of 2017.

KingBroly

Banned
I believe she meant Take Two. There can't be any trust issues between Nintendo and Rockstar. Rockstar are huge fans of Nintendo and have always wanted to make games for Nintendo platform but many of their projects have been shot down by Take Two management.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no Overwatch for Switch as it's an online only title. But hopefully Activision at least has a Call of Duty game for Switch, Switch needs Call of Duty to go beyond just Nintendo loyalists.

This could be a big miss for Switch and Nintendo need to counter misses like these with their own big titles. None of launch window Wii U ports could do the job, I hope the "surprsies" Nintendo have for this month's event is actually for first half of 2017.

Rockstar are not fans of Nintendo. Everything they've put on Nintendo platforms seems forced at best.

I'm not joking, that's exactly why the PS4 sold so great at launch : aced marketing. Because otherwise, the launch games were complete crap.

Because it's dem gamerz console that every gamerz should have ! #Hype #SoldOutEverywhere #4ThePlayers

This is just shows how out of touch with reality you are. Marketing was not the sole reason why PS4 sold so well: it was a combination of having all the third party games, presenting the beginning of a new generation, and consumer confidence in the brand that led to PS360 users quickly moving on.

from the video from obi1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ICkaJmMO4

-She reveals that the little button located in the left joycon is indeed a "share" button
-She says that Rockstar doesn't trust Nintendo meaning that they will probably not port Red Dead Redemption 2
-She hasn't heard information about Overwatch coming to the Nintendo Switch
-She prefers not to talk about voice chat
-She said don't expect any delays, The Switch is for sure coming out in March.
-Joy-Con will be sold on release date. Pro controller not included with the system, you have to buy them separately.
-She has heard 3 hour battery estimate at full clock speed
-You can charge it quickly using the USB port
-She says to expect 3 Virtual Console GameCube games at launch.
-GameCube games at original resolution
-Only gray color Switch at launch
-She says that different color Joy-Cons are possible
-Right Joy-Con has a IR pointer
-You can buy Joy-Cons separately, available day one
-She says to not expect the new Mass Effect Andromeda for the Switch
-She says that the recent "Geno leak" is fake
-She has heard 720p resolution for the screen
-The Switch is not using friend codes
-The Switch has Bluetooth
-No extra docks within the first six months. The docks are not gonna be expensive
-The Switch Entry Bundle is 32 Gb. micro SD supports 128 gb

Not looking good for Western support.

Rodin

Lol Blizzard

Oh and they can keep GC games at original res.

Same here. My main concern is actually that the Switch's screen will be nowhere near as nice as the GPD's.
It's a 720p IPS. I keep seeing people shitting on the screen before they see it only because there's Nintendo written somewhere near it. Let's wait for hands on and to see it in person instead.

jonno394

This is just shows how out of touch with reality you are. Marketing was not the sole reason why PS4 sold so well: it was a combination of having all the third party games, presenting the beginning of a new generation, and consumer confidence in the brand that led to PS360 users quickly moving on.

Based on rockstar and overwatch comments?

DSN2K

My biggest concern with this thing is the screen. Needs to be better then the WiiU for me or I'll be hugely disappointed.

oti

Banned
I'd take Overwatch over Mass Effect all day everyday.

I want Mass Effect to be as cinematic and bombastic as possible. Switch isn't the right platform for it and that's totally OK.

LordKano

So, marketing. What I obviously meant is that people didn't bought the the PS4 for its launch games, because these people could have played the games on the PS3/360 they owned (and the crossgen games at launch were barely different from their PS3/360 equivalent). The thing is, they didn't, because Sony's marketing convinced them to buy a new console to do it. Because it was hype, more powerful, out of stock, everyone wanted it, and so on.

Not that it's a bad thing in any way. The initial point was that the mass market didn't buy massively PS4 at launch because of upcoming games.

Shahadan

I'd take Overwatch over Mass Effect all day everyday.

I want Mass Effect to be as cinematic and bombastic as possible. Switch isn't the right platform for it and that's totally OK.

Switch isn't the right platform for something like overwatch either though.

This is a big thing for me. While posters are going straight to doom and gloom, I've literally not heard one dev badmouth this platform. The only comments from 3rd parties have been very positive.

Remember the comments about WiiU pre launch about it's horrible CPU and pitiful RAM ? We're not hearing that this time around and when it comes to insiders all we're hearing is how XB1PS4 ports won't be an issue.

Clock speeds don't tell us much when we don't know which customisations Nintendo have made to the chips.

The very fact Switch has an ARM CPU and modern GPU architecture which both support the latest tools and engines is a HUGE plus for developers. I think we're going to see a ton of ports of XB1PS4 games, not every game but a lot of them. The fact the new Assassin's Creed game is apparently coming says a lot.

oti

Banned
Switch isn't the right platform for something like overwatch either though.

If Nintendo is serious about eSports it's the RIGHTEST platform. Mechanically dense, unique art style, kid friendly. And just imagine playing Overwatch against you colleagues during lunch break. Everyone with their Switch and all.

Plus the way those actors docked their Switches in the reveal trailer looked badass.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The initial point was that the mass market didn't buy massively PS4 at launch because of upcoming games.

Of course they did. They bought it for present and future FIFA, present and future AC and present and future COD but also for inFAMOUS Second Son, Driveclub and The Order: 1886 and Destiny and Watch Dogs and so on. There were tons of games known to come to PS4 in the near or far future. There was guaranteed 3rd party support. Of course they bought it also (or mostly) for upcoming games, more so if you say that launch line-up was weak.

Shahadan

If Nintendo is serious about eSports it's the RIGHTEST platform. Mechanically dense, unique art style, kid friendly. And just imagine playing Overwatch against you colleagues during lunch break. Everyone with their Switch and all.

Plus the way those actors docked their Switches in the reveal trailer looked badass.

Can't play locally or alone and online only so portable mode, the main selling point, goes out of the window immediately.
Plus it'd have to build an healthy userbase from scratch to even be playable while releasing a year after all other versions.

Blizzard would be kinda dumb to take the risk and it'd a tough sell anyway.
Maybe if there was single player mode or local multiplayer, but there's hardly any reason to port it. It'd be doubtful already if the Switch was TV only considering the context, but with portable mode it's even less likely

Neoxon

But it's an online-only game for a system that can't always be online (no 4G or 3G, possibly no in-dock Ethernet port, etc). Not to mention Nintendo's history with online servers. Plus, as stated above me, the install base for the Switch is unproven.

Believe me, I'd love for Overwatch to show up on the Switch (& unlike one of the other eSports games that I play, Street Fighter V, it at least has a ghost of a chance at showing up). But like with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, I'm not getting my hopes up.

KingBroly

Banned
Overwatch wouldn't even work on Switch. It's an online-only game.

EDIT: After SF5 being online only blew up in their face, I don't believe MVC:I will be online only

Neoxon

Overwatch wouldn't even work on Switch. It's an online-only game.

EDIT: After SF5 being online only blew up in their face, I don't believe MVC:I will be online only
SFV isn't online-only, otherwise tournaments wouldn't be possible. You just need online to cash in on Fight Money (likely to avoid exploits) or install updates. The same would likely apply to MvC:I, especially with Capcom's new philosophy of not splitting the player-base.

LordKano

Of course they did. They bought it for present and future FIFA, present and future AC and present and future COD but also for inFAMOUS Second Son, Driveclub and The Order: 1886 and Destiny and Watch Dogs and so on. There were tons of games known to come to PS4 in the near or far future. There was guaranteed 3rd party support. Of course they bought it also (or mostly) for upcoming games, more so if you say that launch line-up was weak.

Doubt it. In the end, The Order bombed, Driveclub did meh and I don't think inFamous set the world on fire (pun intended). There was probably anticipation of these games and they mave have ended up buying the console in part because of upcoming games they're looking forward, but it wasn't a decisive impact on their choice.

Point is : if Sony made the same kind of hype conference as the E3 2013 one but without showing games that are two-three years away, the situation wouldn't have changed too much.

oti

Banned
Not that it's a bad thing in any way. The initial point was that the mass market didn't buy massively PS4 at launch because of upcoming games.
That's nonsense. Of course they did. They bought a PS4 because they decided that PS4 was going to be their "video game machine" from then on.

Can't play locally or alone and online only so portable mode, the main selling point, goes out of the window immediately.
Plus it'd have to build an healthy userbase from scratch to even be playable while releasing a year after all other versions.

Maybe if there was single player mode or local multiplayer, but there's hardly any reason to port it.
The gameplay should be fine. I don't understand what kind of main selling point is supposed to be missing here. It's still Overwatch.

The business side of things is very different, of course.

random25

PS4 sold the way it is right now hugely because MS fucked up with their messaging on the Xbox One. Had Phil Spencer been the one to be the spokesperson for Xbox One since the beginning, we will see a much different scenario where MS still has a good hold of the Western market and a competition much closer to what it is today between the two because a good portion of the PS4 sales would have gone to XBO.

openrob

Maybe if there was single player mode or local multiplayer, but there's hardly any reason to port it. It'd be doubtful already if the Switch was TV only considering the context, but with portable mode it's even less likely

Well that's what Splatoon is. But it seems Nintendo are making that work.

Oregano

The Switch has an MMO(DQX) announced for it, an MMO that was on the 3DS and was cloud based.

Just because a system is portable doesn't mean an Online only game can't be released on it.

I don't think Overwatch will release on Switch but that won't be the reason why.

LordKano

The Switch has an MMO(DQX) announced for it, an MMO that was on the 3DS and was cloud based.

Just because a system is portable doesn't mean an Online only game can't be released on it.

I don't think Overwatch will release on Switch but that won't be the reason why.

Yeaaaah DQX on 3DS isn't the best example in the world, as it simply doesn't work at all.

Based on rockstar and overwatch comments?

Right now the biggest multiplatform western games announced for 2017 are Red Dead Redemption 2 and Andromeda. It would be rather alarming if this show comes and goes without either of those games being announced. A lack of Andromeda would also signal bad things about future EA support. I believe right now EA are the biggest third party publisher, and they have several major unannounced games for next year like Battlefront, NFS and their sports line.

I've said it multiple times, but there is literally no game that Nintendo could announce at this event that would be a bigger deal than RDR2. Rockstar are the most selective third party in the industry. And by that I mean most were expecting that RDR2 would be announced for the PC along with the PS4 and Xbox One because of the success of GTAV. But nope, that's not the case. It may eventually come to that platform, but their focus is once again on consoles. So, the question remains, can Nintendo land the biggest fish?

Jackano

If Nintendo is serious about eSports it's the RIGHTEST platform.

We only have got one rumor about this, and if it were to be true, it's Nintendo of America who likely want to be "serious about esports".

Atm, I think it's a fan fantasy that there some kind of great plan like that.
And even if it was, maybe it would be a better idea to work on most basic things first, like getting (3rd party) games before thinking of having a proper userbase for esports games (which they don't have either outside Smash, and the potential with Splatoon and Mario Kart).

Oregano

Yeaaaah DQX on 3DS isn't the best example in the world, as it simply doesn't work at all.

Well as far as I've heard the issues were high than expected traffic/demand on the servers and just the fact that the UI looked bad on the low res 3DS screen.

Right now the biggest multiplatform western games announced for 2017 are Red Dead Redemption 2 and Andromeda. It would be rather alarming if this show comes and goes without either of those games being announced. A lack of Andromeda would also signal bad things about future EA support. I believe right now EA are the biggest third party publisher, and they have several major unannounced games for next year like Battlefront, NFS and their sports line.

I've said it multiple times, but there is literally no game that Nintendo could announce at this event that would be a bigger deal than RDR2. Rockstar are the most selective third party in the industry. And by that I mean most were expecting that RDR2 would be announced for the PC along with the PS4 and Xbox One because of the success of GTAV. But nope, that's not the case. It may eventually come to that platform, but their focus is once again on consoles. So, the question remains, can Nintendo land the biggest fish?

I think if they announced a hypothetical Elder Scrolls 6 that would be bigger!

geordiemp

I'm not joking, that's exactly why the PS4 sold so great at launch : aced marketing. Because otherwise, the launch games were complete crap.

You really live in a Nintendo bubble dont you ?

And other than Japan, the most important games are the big third party without question, such as the GTA's, the CODs and FIFA's, and maybe a bit of stuff like BF, Destiny, Division, Mass Effects etc.

To me, first party efforts are icing on the cake, but the cake is the main meal for many gamers.

For Switch to be successful outside of Japan and existing Nintendo gamers it needs these games to be attractive, and it needs to either RUN them better or be able to game on the go (which it seems it can, so if you can play mass effect in the car it will be attractive).

Ps4 clearly won the first category on hardware capability.///My 2 cents.

Interfectum

Why are people assuming the Switch won't get online-only games? The logic of "well you might not always be near Wifi or 4G" is flawed at best.

Kicko

Why can't Overwatch be on Switch? It's still possible to play in portable mode in your house or a friend's/relative's via a wi-fi connection. Not many scenarios lend itself to the idea, but it's still doable.

KingBroly

Banned
SFV isn't online-only, otherwise tournaments wouldn't be possible. You just need online to cash in on Fight Money (likely to avoid exploits) or install updates. The same would likely apply to MvC:I, especially with Capcom's new philosophy of not splitting the player-base.

It basically is online only. If you play SF5 at home, you're playing it online because of Fight Money.

Also, MVC:I won't have crossplay between PS4, XB1 and PC. PS4 and PC "MAYBE." XB1 and PC "MAYBE." Crossplay is still a finnicky thing. Not splitting the player base is not truly part of Capcom's MO if it costs them money.

random25

The biggest fish is not necessarily the biggest AAA games. The games that I consider the biggest fish would be the ones that sell to the mass market, mainly the annual sports games like FIFA and Madden, the popular shooters like CoD, and those that sell well regardless of time like Minecraft and GTA. The crowd for the RDR2 and Andromeda is already on the current platforms, so even if they are on the Switch they would be a hard sell. But for the mass market games, they can be widespread and there is still untapped opportunity there for both Nintendo and the Western 3rd party.

That's wrong tho, maybe NeoGAF people do but the mass market don't buy a console based on upcoming games that they didn't hear about, but the already released games that are marketed.

That's not though. These consoles sold on the premise of fantastic upcoming and hype games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom