• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

Why can't Overwatch be on Switch? It's still possible to play in portable mode in your house or a friend's/relative's via a wi-fi connection. Not many scenarios lend itself to the idea, but it's still doable.

No one is saying it's not feasible, some online only games will be released, it's just not worth it in the case of overwatch.
I'd buy it for the sole reason of playing in bed but a port would only be sold to people who:

-have no PC/ps4/xbone but are still interested a year after release, aka a tiny limited amount of people
-people who own it but would double dip (like me) mainly for portable mode despite having to lose all progress and items and not being able to play anywhere else than in their house, aka another little fraction of people

It's really not much for a game that you can play only when other people are playing it already. It really makes zero business sense.
Had the switch released at the same time as Overwatch that would maybe be different, and then again it's not even 100% sure.

Interfectum

Overwatch being online-only isn't what is going to stop it from coming to Switch. For a lot of big developers, Switch is going to have to prove itself in the market before they take the plunge.

If the Switch ends up being a mega seller you can bet it will get RDR2, OW, and whatever else.

So, marketing. What I obviously meant is that people didn't bought the the PS4 for its launch games, because these people could have played the games on the PS3/360 they owned (and the crossgen games at launch were barely different from their PS3/360 equivalent). The thing is, they didn't, because Sony's marketing convinced them to buy a new console to do it. Because it was hype, more powerful, out of stock, everyone wanted it, and so on.

Not that it's a bad thing in any way. The initial point was that the mass market didn't buy massively PS4 at launch because of upcoming games.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it won't work the same with with a Nintendo console. With the PS4 you don't have to explicitly announce third party support from all the usuals, and you don't have to announce games coming in 2 or 3 years because all of that is built into the PS4 ecosystem, since PS4 is the de facto home for third party console games. If a console game is coming out, you can expect it to hit the PS4. So people generally bought the PS4 under that assumption.

The Switch is completely different because Nintendo has not shown the ability to get even a majority of third party games on their platforms. Nintendo therefore has something to prove when it comes to showing off upcoming games even 2-3 years down the road.

So, marketing. What I obviously meant is that people didn't bought the the PS4 for its launch games, because these people could have played the games on the PS3/360 they owned (and the crossgen games at launch were barely different from their PS3/360 equivalent). The thing is, they didn't, because Sony's marketing convinced them to buy a new console to do it. Because it was hype, more powerful, out of stock, everyone wanted it, and so on.

Not that it's a bad thing in any way. The initial point was that the mass market didn't buy massively PS4 at launch because of upcoming games.

How can you even summarise what I said as marketing when its foundations are the audiences interests and expectations over generations?

PS4 had all the games PS360 owners loved yes, but its adoption was so great due to it being deemed a worthy upgrade to continue playing games on. PS360 owners had confidence on the future third party support of the PS4, due to previous generational trends and PS4 specs justified its place as the beginning of a new generation.

Of course they did. They bought it for present and future FIFA, present and future AC and present and future COD but also for inFAMOUS Second Son, Driveclub and The Order: 1886 and Destiny and Watch Dogs and so on. There were tons of games known to come to PS4 in the near or far future. There was guaranteed 3rd party support. Of course they bought it also (or mostly) for upcoming games, more so if you say that launch line-up was weak.

Exactly.

Based on rockstar and overwatch comments?

RDR2, Mass Effect and Overwatch are some of the big games from the biggest pubs in the industry: T2, EA and Activision. Combined with previous Nintendo console third party support, how is it not worrying?

LordKano

You really live in a Nintendo bubble dont you ?

And other than Japan, the most important games are the big third party without question, such as the GTA's, the CODs and FIFA's, and maybe a bit of stuff like BF, Destiny, Division, Mass Effects etc.

To me, first party efforts are icing on the cake, but the cake is the main meal for many gamers.

For Switch to be successful outside of Japan and existing Nintendo gamers it needs these games to be attractive, and it needs to either RUN them better or be able to game on the go (which it seems it can, so if you can play mass effect in the car it will be attractive).

Ps4 clearly won the first category on hardware capability.///My 2 cents.

Where in the world did I said anything about first or third party games ? I was talking about games in general. Keep that bubble shit to your inner-self, I don't need to read these things. I also never denied that power was a huge factor in why the PS4 was so successful.

Well as far as I've heard the issues were high than expected traffic/demand on the servers and just the fact that the UI looked bad on the low res 3DS screen.

It was worse than that. The game was pulled out of stores because of massive connexion problems. I don't know if it ever came back on stores.

How can you even summarise what I said as marketing when its foundations are the audiences interests and expectations over generations?

PS4 had all the games PS360 owners loved yes, but its adoption was so great due to it being deemed a worthy upgrade to continue playing games on. PS360 owners had confidence on the future third party support of the PS4, due to previous generational trends and PS4 specs justified its place as the beginning of a new generation.

That's part of the marketing. The Xbox One didn't sold great despite being a worthy upgrade to continue playing games on, because Sony send a better message about why it's better to play these PS360 games on PS4 instead of anywhere else.
I agree with all you said, maybe I just didn't make myself clear enough.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it won't work the same with with a Nintendo console. With the PS4 you don't have to explicitly announce third party support from all the usuals, and you don't have to announce games coming in 2 or 3 years because all of that is built into the PS4 ecosystem, since PS4 is the de facto home for third party console games. If a console game is coming out, you can expect it to hit the PS4. So people generally bought the PS4 under that assumption.

The Switch is completely different because Nintendo has not shown the ability to get even a majority of third party games on their platforms. Nintendo therefore has something to prove when it comes to showing off upcoming games even 2-3 years down the road.

Of course it won't, because nobody (even the most hardcore Nintendo fans) believe Nintendo will be able to hold a good third-party ecosystem. I don't even remember why the discussion on PS4 started, since it's a completely different case from the Switch.

El Topo

You guys should really temper your expectations when it comes to 3rd parties. Great if they come to Switch, but don't get your hopes up (too much).

Why can't Overwatch be on Switch? It's still possible to play in portable mode in your house or a friend's/relative's via a wi-fi connection. Not many scenarios lend itself to the idea, but it's still doable.

I've put a ton of time into Overwatch this year and I would 200% triple-dip if it came to Switch, but... As an online-only game, it's heavily reliant on the number of people playing. It makes almost no sense for Blizzard to bring a game like that to any console at launch. If the Switch sells well enough, I have no doubt that Blizzard would consider porting it down the line.

With that out of the way, I have to say that I'm slightly bummed about not being able to buy extra docks at launch. We have a TV in the bedroom and the living room, and I would have loved to move the Switch between the two whilst at home. Anyway... Now I just want to know what games I'll have to pony up for at launch. I know I'll want Mario and Splatoon, but if Zelda is there on launch day I might need to sell an organ or two to grab that + the new Amiibo as well.

RDR2 and Mass effect andromeda probably won't come to switch. This is not a "alarming warning" though.

Switch will perhaps improve third party support on a nintendo platform. It won't magically turn it into Playstation level support.

Remember Matt said not to expect some drastic changes regarding this matter.

Lutherian

Yes, because a Tegra X1 can surely run Andromeda and RDR2 at 1080p while being close to PS4 graphics at 30 FPS. Sure.

Can any of you understand how this hardware will NOT compete with PS4 and X1 ? It's like asking the Wii to run Crysis 3 at 1080p on Ultra settings. It can't.

By the way :

OBE1 posted his second day of Switchmas :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzE4ZATggmU

Neoxon

Yes, because a Tegra X1 can surely run Andromeda and RDR2 at 1080p while being close to PS4 graphics at 30 FPS. Sure.

Can any of you understand how this hardware will NOT compete with PS4 and X1 ? It's like asking the Wii to run Crysis 3 at 1080p on Ultra settings. It can't.
I don't think any of us are expecting that. People just want those games to show up on the Switch at all (I personally doubt that such games will ever show up on the Switch, but still).

Sadist

If you are expecting more than competent Japanese support and token western support (exception being Ubisoft), well, your expectations are a bit too high.

LordKano

Where in this thread have you read this ? Nobody expect that, and nobody should have expected that.

Lutherian

I don't think any of us are expecting that. People just want those games to show up on the Switch at all (I personally doubt that such games will ever show up on the Switch, but still).

I too really wished it could, but it won't. I'd gladly accept it and while ME:A will run on my PC or my PS4 (depending on how my PC can handle it), I'll play Switch exclusives.

Zalman

Whether or not it happens, it's a smart VR solution. It won't be the best experience out there, but way more affordable than the others.

Sane people here already know that.
But theoritically they could show up, just with low graphical settings when PS4 get the "high" settings.

I have the impression this has to be stated each and every day. This is about scalability.

Can anyone summarize his video so that we don't have to sit through that two days in a row?

Of course it won't, because nobody (even the most hardcore Nintendo fans) believe Nintendo will be able to hold a good third-party ecosystem. I don't even remember why the discussion on PS4 started, since it's a completely different case from the Switch.

I think it was about how before launch Sony didn't really focus on showing off many games that far in the future, so some people thought Nintendo shouldn't either. But it's not the same situation for the reasons I stated, so Nintendo really should show future games to help ensure that people see continued support over the years, because Nintendo rightfully doesn't get the benefit of the doubt there.

Literally nobody here is asking for graphical parity. Just game parity. Huge, huge difference what with the scalability of modern games.

LordKano

PS4 can barely manages VR, how in the hell is something a quarter as powerful is supposed to make VR. I'll call bullshit on that.

I think it was about how before launch Sony didn't really focus on showing off many games that far in the future, so some people thought Nintendo shouldn't either. But it's not the same situation for the reasons I stated, so Nintendo really should show future games to help ensure that people see continued support over the years, because Nintendo rightfully doesn't get the benefit of the doubt there.

Literally nobody here is asking for graphical parity. Just game parity. Huge, huge difference what with the scalability of modern games.

Even game parity is asking for a lot. RDR 2 just isn't happening. As for Mass Effect, I wouldn't be surprised if the game already was 720p with dips on XB1. Which makes it even harder to downscale on Switch.

PS4 can barely manages VR, how in the hell is something a quarter as powerful is supposed to make VR. I'll call bullshit on that.

Any device can perfectly manage VR. It just depends on what you want to throw at it. Light indie VR games are possible.

Even game parity is asking for a lot. RDR 2 just isn't happening. As for Mass Effect, I wouldn't be surprised if the game already was 720p with dips on XB1. Which makes it even harder to downscale on Switch.

Oh I completely agree it's asking for a lot, I'm just saying that is our ideal scenario. Nobody expects, wants, or thinks graphical parity is possible, but we are hoping that one day Nintendo will get all of the third party games everyone else gets. I don't think hardware factors in all that much here though.

Interfectum

Who is saying this?

I think we'll all need to temper our expectations when we see "VR" in relation to the Switch. I'm expecting a glorified version of Facebook's 360 degree videos for the console we're getting in March. If the Switch takes off, I have no doubt they'll go a bit further for the second version of the console.

spectator

You guys should really temper your expectations when it comes to 3rd parties. Great if they come to Switch, but don't get your hopes up (too much).

If Nintendo is consistent about anything, it's that they're still willing to sacrifice their own mainstream success if it means they don't have to share the little nugget of profit they get to cling to.

Yeah I dont care about Switch VR though i might try it at least

VR is fun even in its cheapest form with Cell Phone apps and google cardboard

Man.... I want my Switch like yesterday. My Henkaku Vita is doing a fine job during the transition though!

LordKano

Any device can perfectly manage VR. It just depends on what you want to throw at it. Light indie VR games are possible.

I don't think I've seen a VR game that isn't demanding. Some of them already almost looks like PS2 games on an OG PS4. I doubt anyone will bother making ultra-light VR games solely for the Switch.

Unless it's something like Samsung Gear VR. But it has little point for us.

If they can offer low end VR for basically just the entry price of the normal console ($250) with little added cost then why not?

Because of Neck strain lawsuits?

I mean... I know this think is relatively light but it will still be awkward to strap to you damn face at this size

what-ok

Right now the biggest multiplatform western games announced for 2017 are Red Dead Redemption 2 and Andromeda. It would be rather alarming if this show comes and goes without either of those games being announced. A lack of Andromeda would also signal bad things about future EA support. I believe right now EA are the biggest third party publisher, and they have several major unannounced games for next year like Battlefront, NFS and their sports line.

I've said it multiple times, but there is literally no game that Nintendo could announce at this event that would be a bigger deal than RDR2. Rockstar are the most selective third party in the industry. And by that I mean most were expecting that RDR2 would be announced for the PC along with the PS4 and Xbox One because of the success of GTAV. But nope, that's not the case. It may eventually come to that platform, but their focus is once again on consoles. So, the question remains, can Nintendo land the biggest fish?

What if? What if, From is bringing a new IP to Switch? That might be the kicker it needs. Just daydreaming I know, but geez.

geordiemp

Where in the world did I said anything about first or third party games ? I was talking about games in general. Keep that bubble shit to your inner-self, I don't need to read these things. I also never denied that power was a huge factor in why the PS4 was so successful.

It was not marketing that made Ps4 succesful, that was clearly what you said and its just wrong.

When the first COD came out = Ghost (the rumour even 6 months before made GAF explode).... it ran 1080p60 on Ps4, and 720p60 on Xb1. Go read the many many GAF pages of disgust from 360 owners (I was one of them). Every site went nuts over the power differential (and Ps4 was cheaper).

Ps4 just ran games better period, and everybody from 10 year old kids at school knew it, and it still does. That is why it was successful, you cannot just advertise your way to success.

WiiU failure was not about confused messaging, lets face it, it was a toaster and did not run the major mass market games

Switch can be very successful if it can play AAA 3rd party on the go, otherwise it will be a Nintendo fan machine.

spectator

If they can offer low end VR for basically just the entry price of the normal console ($250) with little added cost then why not?

I have a hard time imagining how they could do that. To add so little cost, they'd have to use the main device screen as the VR screen and it's just way too large and unwieldy to hang from your face.

I have a hard time imagining how they could do that. To add so little cost, they'd have to use the main device screen as the VR screen and it's just way too large and unwieldy to hang from your face.

First of all, why do you say that? Second of all, they have filed a patent application for exactly what you just said.

Dunno. Cheap VR doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I just don't see how it hurts. I guess if it takes too many developers away from normal games then it might be a problem but it could be a very good way to introduce people to VR who then may buy a higher end device.

LordKano

It was not marketing that made Ps4 succesful, that was clearly what you said and its just wrong.

When the first COD came out = Ghost (the rumour even 6 months before made GAF explode).... it ran 1080p60 on Ps4, and 720p60 on Xb1. Go read the many many GAF pages of disgust from 360 owners (I was one of them). Every site went nuts over the power differential (and Ps4 was cheaper).

Ps4 just ran games better period, and everybody from 10 year old kids at school knew it, and it still does. That is why it was successful, you cannot just advertise your way to success.

WiiU failure was not about confused messaging, lets face it, it was a toaster and did not run the major mass market games

Switch can be very successful if it can play AAA 3rd party on the go, otherwise it will be a Nintendo fan machine.

Dude

This could be a poster boy for "most stereotypical fanboy post"

Can we not turn this topic into.... arguing circular logic where people try to guess market success metrics based on information density you couldnt possibly process

Beegeous

When the first COD came out (the rumour even 6 months before made GAF explode).... it ran 1080p60 on Ps4, and 720p60 on Xb1. Go read the many many GAF pages of disgust from 360 owners (I was one of them). Every site went nuts over the power differential (and Ps4 was cheaper).

Pricing and brand play an equally, if not bigger role toward sales than power. Source: Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom