• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

But didn't Laura (or was it Emily?) say the reason for BotW being delayed was localization issues? Perhaps the game is delayed in PAL but will be available at launch in NA and Japan. Also makes sense that Laura's info is biased toward Europe, since she is European.

Then again, everyone seems convinced of Mario being a launch title, and it's not like Nintendo to release a main Mario game alongside a Zelda game. And Mario moves more hardware units than Zelda anyway.

Even though those two leakers have proved their credibility, I just don't think they're right on this one. Last year, Miyamoto said the next Mario game was far off from release, and they've been pushing Zelda ever since e3. It's also been in development longer and clearly had a great showing. It seems like a perfect launch game for core gamers.

orioto

Good Art™
Your statement seems to assume that every 3DS owner only games on that system, and doesn't already own a PS4/Xbone... That just doesn't make sense. If that's not what you intended to say, you're validating my previous statement that the Switch is marketed at people who don't have any interest in traditional console gaming.

Nintendo can't (and won't) market a system based solely on the idea of upgrading their existing fans. They have a market that they want and it isn't just current 3DS owners.

You realize selling 60 million switch would make it the biggest selling console on top of PS4 and XBO right ? Of course that's their target. They'll be fucking happy if they can reach it.

I don't get yuor secondary device comment at all.. What's the problem here ? If people bought a 3ds while having already an other console, why wouldn't they do it with the Switch ?

I agree with you. Didn't a rep from Bethesda say they showed him a software demo and it was one of the best he'd ever seen?

I don't necessarily think it will be a Wii Sports or Nintendo Land type minigame collection. But I do think we'll see something that plays on the modular/hybrid aspects of the device that includes a multiplayer component with the joycons. It will also likely be super-accessible for novice gamers.

Problem being, they didn't use it first... Even if they have one. It's like if the first Wii big mainstream marketing push was about Twilight Princess.. How well do you think it would have worked..

m4st4

That's about what I expect.

Purpose of pre-orders is to make you feel good about buying (but not actually) something that won't be in your hands for a good while. Nintendo probably wants us thinking they have the entire year mapped out and ready. So I'm still not convinced BOTW will come out Day 1. And honestly, right now I'd be more than satisfied with Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and new Mario for starters.

Chances Miku hits Switch?

Even though those two leakers have proved their credibility, I just don't think they're right on this one. Last year, Miyamoto said the next Mario game was far off from release, and they've been pushing Zelda ever since e3. It's also been in development longer and clearly had a great showing. It seems like a perfect launch game for core gamers.

Technically, Miyamoto's comments were about "a new kind of Mario" game.

We don't know if the one we've seen for Switch is that game.

Phoenixus

Imagine both a new 3D Mario and an open-world Zelda on launch day. Holy fuck.

I'd bet one of them being launch window personally, but that would be one hell of a day one lineup just on its own.

LordKano

Purpose of pre-orders is to make you feel good about buying (but not actually) something that won't be in your hands for a good while. Nintendo probably wants us thinking they have the entire year mapped out and ready. So I'm still not convinced BOTW will come out Day 1. And honestly, right now I'd be more than satisfied with Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and new Mario for starters.

Chances Miku hits Switch?

I think there are two or three Hatsune Miku games on 3DS, so there could be more on Switch yeah.

The opening of BoTW preorders and how Nintendo has been marketing it really make me think the game is going to be available at launch.

Everything official sure is pointing that way, beyond the generic "2017" release date. It's very strange.

The low 720 looks horrendous though, what scenario is that?

According to the UE4 settings found:

Switch docked = 2 = "high"

Switch undocked = 1 = "medium" but with 0.66x the resolution, so presumably 720p (UE4 does resolution scaling in both length and width)

UE4 general presets are- 3 = Epic, 2 = High, 1 = Medium and 0 = Low if I'm not mistaken.

So that low 720p image would be below Switch undocked.

Raet

The 3D Mario team has not released a new game for a long time. It's not surprising for them to have finished it by now, especially if it also started development on the Wii U. That team is very capable of making new 3D platformers, the new Zelda on the other hand is unlike anything the Zelda team ever did.

Besides, if localization is the issue, Europe has a lot more languages to finish translating, so it may come out in time for NA. This is not what I want obviously as I am European myself.

You realize selling 60 million switch would make it the biggest selling console on top of PS4 and XBO right ? Of course that's their target. They'll be fucking happy if they can reach it.

I don't get yuor secondary device comment at all.. What's the problem here ? If people bought a 3ds while having already an other console, why wouldn't they do it with the Switch ?

You're all over the place here... On one post, you say that Nintendo wouldn't look for the 3DS to be a secondary console, now you say that they should? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you just don't understand my point, so here goes:

Of course Nintendo would be happy to sell 60 million units of the Switch, but their approach to reach a figure like that isn't just "we sold that many 3DS units".

Nintendo's approach with the Switch is to make gaming accessible and appealing to people with mobile lifestyles. That's their primary market, plain and simple. That... is a gigantic market that expands far beyond what the PS4 and Xbox One currently reach. There is most certainly overlap in that market with people who already own a 3DS and/or consoles, but their approach is much broader. Plain and simple.

It will likely have motion, and costs as much as any controller : 50-60$/€.

Rumors from Laura Kate Dale say yes to motion controls. Not sure on price, my guess is $60

$50-$60? Geez. I think people are overestimating. Motion controls have become FAR more ubiquitous and continue to be used in more and more devices. I doubt controller prices will remain that expensive. I'm estimating $30-$40 max

$50-$60? Geez. I think people are overestimating. Motion controls have become FAR more ubiquitous and continue to be used in more and more devices. I doubt controller prices will remain that expensive. I'm estimating $30-$40 max

It's not about the price of the technology but rather the state of the market. Both Xbox One and PS4 controllers sell with an MSRP of $59.99. The Wii-U Pro controller has an MSRP of $49.99. People are willing to pay these prices so there really isn't much reason for Nintendo to go lower.

AdanVC

Two weeks, guize... It could be the greatest day on Nintendo's history. Go big or go home, Nintendo. Time to stop fooling around! Announce everything, tease everything, let your audience know you screwed big time with Wii U and you're not going to commit the same mistake with NS. Oh and please for the love of Yamauchi, no fireworks at the end of the presentation.

MacTag

Banned
Controllers are high margin items, it's one of the ways console markers can really recoup hardware investment. I'd put money on $59.99. I'm also expecting individual Joy-cons to go for $39.99.

Roo

I just hope the Pro controller design we saw in the Switch trailer is not final.
That shit looked really rough. Almost like a controller from those lame Chinese clones you see in the black market.

I know optimism is not always a popular angle on this site, but I'm just so damn excited for the 12th.

From a GAF perspective, I remain interested as to how much they'll deliver or not third-party and industry-wise, but above all we get new first-party Nintendo games and I couldn't be more hyped for that.

I loved the Wii U's output, but new big Ninty titles were few and far between compared to past generations. All I want is Gamecube 2.

I haven't seen it here yet but someone on Reddit made some rough comparisons using the UE4 settings found the other day:

I believe for the UT example (image 2) the high setting corresponds to Switch docked and medium setting corresponds to undocked, though at 1080p still.

Obviously these are just rough and unoptomized but it shows off the type of downgrades you'd expect when changing settings like these. Doesn't look bad at all honestly.
GhostTrick already commented on your post, but I want to make a comment on the first three pics. The Switch's GPU has DX12-level features, so I don't believe the system would have trouble with doing a limited scene such as those on a high setting. As a game scene gets more complex, though, the S-GPU will not be able to keep up with the other GPUs, and compromises will then have to be made. The images that you are showing are not representing what compromises we will likely see.

Xdrive05

What do you peeps think the Nintendoland/Wii Sports of the Switch will be? What type of games would show the strengths of a hybrid system, in the same kind of way those other games did for their systems?

GhostTrick already commented on your post, but I want to make a comment on the first three pics. The Switch's GPU has DX12-level features, so I don't believe the system would have trouble with doing a limited scene such as those on a high setting. As a game scene gets more complex, though, the S-GPU will not be able to keep up with the other GPUs, and compromises will then have to be made. The images that you are showing are not representing what compromises we will likely see.

Like I said they primarily illustrate the types of specific downgrades we should expect, rather than what the Switch is specifically capable of. Obviously a very simple scene like that isn't a good way to show off what you may wind up seeing as a final product, but it shows the various areas where a PS4 game will be downgraded such as in lighting and AA.

Trevelyan

Banned
What do you peeps think the Nintendoland/Wii Sports of the Switch will be? What type of games would show the strengths of a hybrid system, in the same kind of way those other games did for their systems?

Although I know it won't happen, I would absolutely love a proper NintendoLand 2. The first game was, and is still is, such a great joy to play, and my wife and brother-in-law still get together once a month to play it for a few hours.

That said, I really don't know, but I wouldn't mind another quirky IP like Splatoon to help launch the system. Something that is easy to get into, but also holds a considerable amount of depth(though you can say that about any Nintendo game, really).

I would say that there probably won't be one, as it's easily the most conservative, red-ocean platform Nintendo has launched in 15 years. It's not trying to reinvent the wheel in terms of how games are played, just to make it more convenient to play the same sorts of games that are already on existing dedicated platforms.

JB2448

Too bad there's no hype countdown gifs from IntelliHeath :(
Countdown to Switch GIF have begun!

f2qDToP.gif

I think people are going to figure out what kind of theme I'm going for countdown. I hope that y'all would enjoy it :)
?

AdanVC

Probably no that type of game this time. They will going all with the new 3D Mario or a Wii U port. Or both. Wich would be great. Launching your shiny new console with a brand new 3D Mario and not more monotone NSMB games #Blessed.

My bad. Damn I should check previous pages before posting :'(

YAS HYPE GIF!!

MacTag

Banned
I would say that there probably won't be one, as it's easily the most conservative, red-ocean platform Nintendo has launched in 15 years. It's not trying to reinvent the wheel in terms of how games are played, just to make it more convenient to play the same sorts of games that are already on existing dedicated platforms.
Yes. The closest we get is probably Splatoon DX depending on how hard it's pushed.

The gimmick of this system seems to be the ability to take full featured console games on the go, so I'm not sure if we will see a similar game dedicated to showing off the gimmick. I guess maybe something for local multiplayer?

Philippo

I am totally expecting a Nintendoland Switch or some kind of Switch Sports / Party.
If there's one thing that the NS does, is making very easy to play with your friends anywhere, anytime, in the easiest way possible. I'm sure that other than games like MK/Smash/Platoon they'll have a simplier, more casual local multiplayer game.

I'm more wondering if we'll get to see any tech demos. Those usually happen 1+ years out from launch, so I doubt we'll see any.

But I want to see that demo that Todd Howard called the best he's ever seen...

I'm more wondering if we'll get to see any tech demos. Those usually happen 1+ years out from launch, so I doubt we'll see any.

But I want to see that demo that Todd Howard called the best he's ever seen...

He said that he was just referring to the device itself rather than any specific game.

No games from Rockstar confirmed :c
Also no Andromeda re-confirmed, and god knows what other games are skipping NS.

Uh, where is this? Not that I doubt any of it.

He said that he was just referring to the device itself rather than any specific game.

He said it was probably an NDA thing and then walked back the specific mention of a demo to say he meant the entire device itself. I'm pretty sure he meant there was an actual software demo but realized it was probably not a good idea to talk about it.

vern

I think you overstretching it now. This kind of bullshit "insider info" that says actually nothing should be forbidden. You're throwing mud at a wall and see what sticks without taking any actual responsibility.

Might be a port, might be a remaster, might be at Switch event, maybe not, might be release in the next century or not.

I'm not throwing shit at the wall at all. I've been pretty straightforward the whole time about what I know and what I don't. I said from the start I know third party games. I obviously can't say the title of the R* game. I'm not looking for internet fame, I don't have a YouTube or a twitter, the only reason I mentioned this game is because of the Rockstar mention by LkD. I said like a month or two ago the main thing I would do here is confirm or deny rumors or leaks based on what I know.

Not sure how you would expect me to know what Nintendo will show at their reveal event.

And what responsibility would you like me to take? We can't know if I'm right or wrong until later. At that time if my info is wrong then sure, ban me or shame me or whatever. Until then we are all just sitting around waiting, would you prefer baseless speculation or actual info? I understand the frustration that I can't specifically say the title so it seems kind of like just throwing shit out there, but I think you understand why I can't say the title right? You aren't dumb.

I'll say bullshit. Laura talked about Rockstar at some point, and said that RDR2 won't happen because of the relation between Rockstar and Nintendo. No reason why GTAV would be any different.

I don't know anything about their relationship.

A port and a remaster are quite different so which one is it?

I guess I don't understand the distinction, it has some new content. Enhanced port?

What have you been right about and can you link us to proof that you got it right beforehand?

I don't trust anyone except Emily and LKD anymore after all the frauds that have been exposed.

It's ok I always tell everyone here trust me or not it's fine either way. Lots of people looking for attention.

I was first with the RAM numbers split that maybe only NateD has backed so far so take with a grain of salt. I've posted other stuff as well that I guess hasn't been confirmed, including some 3rd party games. Hard to say things were got right when they haven't been announced yet. I gave an obvious hint at an indie game that some people guessed correctly.

orioto

Good Art™
You're all over the place here... On one post, you say that Nintendo wouldn't look for the 3DS to be a secondary console, now you say that they should? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you just don't understand my point, so here goes:

Of course Nintendo would be happy to sell 60 million units of the Switch, but their approach to reach a figure like that isn't just "we sold that many 3DS units".

Nintendo's approach with the Switch is to make gaming accessible and appealing to people with mobile lifestyles. That's their primary market, plain and simple. That... is a gigantic market that expands far beyond what the PS4 and Xbox One currently reach. There is most certainly overlap in that market with people who already own a 3DS and/or consoles, but their approach is much broader. Plain and simple.

You're the one getting confused or me not being clear lol.

What i'm saying is that's their target. That 3ds owners have an other console is not relevant.

And i'll say it again you're wrong. The switch is not meant to appeal to people who don't have a console already. cause i don't see how it would replace their phone to play if it's enough for them. This is freakin' huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom