• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wait when did we get official confirmation that GTAV was being worked on for Wii U?
Apparently, there was a prototype of GTAV running on the Wii U. Devs always do prototypes, nothing special there.

I've got a hunch that a lot of people will be disappointed and downright aggressive towards Nintendo after the presentation. As slick and as cool as the Switch looks, it's still Nintendo. Family friendly gimmicky Nintendo. Don't forget that.

Those people were probably not gonna buy the switch to begin with and probably looking for something to shit on Nintendo.

Richie

Still shocked that Animal Crossing (Gamecube) is apparently coming to the Switch's VC with all of the NES games intact, as per the Digital Foundry scoop. Would be great value to just buy that one and skip buying the NES titles by themselves.

Speaking of which, do you guys think that VC prices will FINALLY go down after sticking to the Wii's pricepoint for longer than a decade now? The NES Mini Classic (which is $2 per game not including the added hardware) gives me hope they're open to more reasonable pricing this time around. Any insider at all commented on this?

rekameohs

Banned
Still shocked that Animal Crossing (Gamecube) is apparently coming to the Switch's VC with all of the NES games intact, as per the Digital Foundry scoop. Would be great value to just buy that one and skip buying the NES titles by themselves.

Speaking of which, do you guys think that VC prices will FINALLY go down after sticking to the Wii's pricepoint for longer than a decade now? The NES Mini Classic (which is $2 per game not including the added hardware) gives me hope they're open to more reasonable pricing this time around. Any insider at all commented on this?
I would almost be completely certain that $5 NES, $8 SNES, $10 N64, $20 Wii (if it happens) will be staying, which would seemingly slot in GameCube at around $15. I would like cheaper, yes, but I don't see them doing that for Virtual Console.

If Nintendo are making a good chunk of profit with their current prices I don't see them dropping it anytime soon.

EDarkness

Man I forgot all about Steep. It was even Ubisoft closing game for E3.

I didn't even know that game existed until a few days ago. It had no buzz whatsoever. The crazy thing is I really enjoy playing snowboarding games, but the genre is all but dead and the ones that do get released don't capture that old magic. Kinda wish they'd give the game another chance with proper advertising or something.

Gleethor

I wouldn't bet on it. I do think they should use variable pricing for NES, SNES and N64 games though. Right now, all three of those systems are locked a specific pricing tier for every game save a few exceptions. GB, GBC, GBA and DS games are priced more reasonably depending on how much content a particular game has.

A4iQbC2.png

ouch
well there goes that theory that she is his source

rekameohs

Banned
I wouldn't bet on it. I do think they should use variable pricing for NES, SNES and N64 games though. Right now, all three of those systems are locked a specific pricing tier for every game save a few exceptions. GB, GBC, GBA and DS games are priced more reasonably depending on how much content a particular game has.
This reminds me that I hope Game Boy appears on Switch. I found it bizarre that they very clearly made a Game Boy emulator for the Smash Wii U masterpieces but never actually used it outside of that.

I don't think there's any reason to do this.

The prices we pay for those games is already generally a steal compared to their current market value.

The_Lump

Banned
Unfortunately we have only your word for that, and your word isn't looking too good right now.

This is a base level trolling attempt. Try harder.

Nate, and many others, have explained in baby-proof terms that the real world of product design and engineeering is not binary in nature. Things change. Move on.

Man I forgot all about Steep. It was even Ubisoft closing game for E3.

It's fantastic. Been playing it solidly since launch

Net

This is a base level trolling attempt. Try harder.

Nate, and many others, have explained in baby-proof terms that the real world of product design and engineeering is not binary in nature. Things change. Move on.
No, I'd rather not stick my head in the sand and continue to accept his rumors as fact.

The_Lump

Banned
No, I'd rather not stick my head in the sand and continue to accept his rumors as fact.

Well his track record speaks for itself, and this particular rumour was backed up elsewhere. But do what you like, by all means. Whatever makes you happy.

EDarkness

No offense, man, but take that antagonistic crap somewhere else. If you don't want to believe the guy...fine. If you have a beef with him, then take it to Private Messages or talk to a Mod. Crapping up the thread with this stuff isn't cool at all. Anyone who follows anything related to rumors should take all of this stuff with a grain of salt...regardless of who it is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You cut off the last part of that line you quoted.

I've never been an Uncharted fan but I'll certainly be skeptical of anything she reports on Sony first parties.

Okay, I dont really understand the mentality of "let dismiss other rumors or leaks because it's not about Nintendo Switch or Nintendo products."

That's your call, not mine. I would rather to treat everything as rumors when it's not 100% confirmation. I have seen reliable sources getting their information wrong because things happens for many reasons.

Net

No offense, man, but take that antagonistic crap somewhere else. If you don't want to believe the guy...fine. If you have a beef with him, then take it to Private Messages or talk to a Mod. Crapping up the thread with this stuff isn't cool at all. Anyone who follows anything related to rumors should take all of this stuff with a grain of salt...regardless of who it is.

I have a right to voice my skepticism. If a moderator comes and clarifies that we're not allowed to question the "insiders" on this board then I'll act accordingly. Until that time, no, I will not act like these people are a substitute for real news.

EDarkness

I have a right to voice my skepticism. If a moderator comes and clarifies that we're not allowed to question the "insiders" on this board then I'll act accordingly. Until that time, no, I will not act like these people are a substitute for real news.

You're not just voicing skepticism. Just leave the guy alone. You said what you wanted to say, so move on. All you're doing is dirtying up this thread. You don't believe the guy? That's great. We get your point.

The_Lump

Banned

No-one is asking you to. We're asking you to stop shitting up the thread going round in circles and move on. You don't believe him, fine. End of story.

Net

You're not just voicing skepticism. Just leave the guy alone. You said what you wanted to say, so move on. All you're doing is dirtying up this thread. You don't believe the guy? That's great. We get your point.

I am responding to posts directed at me. You were the one who recommended taking any beef to private messages or to a moderator. I think that's good advice.

You should try it yourself first.

Richie

I would almost be completely certain that $5 NES, $8 SNES, $10 N64, $20 Wii (if it happens) will be staying, which would seemingly slot in GameCube at around $15. I would like cheaper, yes, but I don't see them doing that for Virtual Console.

I don't think there's any reason to do this.

The prices we pay for those games is already generally a steal compared to their current market value.

I guess seeing the NES Classic Mini distributing 30 games, including their absolute best in the console at 2 bucks a pop, while their actual mainline console asks you to pay more than twice as much with worse emulation and less features left an impression. Surely they saw the excitement the console build, and the pricing they went with was clearly a big contributing factor to it.

This would be a step in the right direction too. I mean...

If Nintendo are making a good chunk of profit with their current prices I don't see them dropping it anytime soon.

This must be true to an extent, but one often gets the impression that they're mishandling the Virtual Console, that they weren't giving it their all this generation. Surely they're generate more profit out of obscure NES games at $1, with impulse buy pricing, than at $5?

EDarkness

I am responding to posts directed at me. You were the one who recommended taking any beef to private messages or to a moderator. I think that's good advice.

Great, so get on it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled rumor and discussion thread....!

I have doubts on that. On the flip side, VC should be able to make smooth transitions between systems for now on.

rekameohs

Banned
I guess seeing the NES Classic Mini distributing 30 games, including their absolute best in the console at 2 bucks a pop, while their actual mainline console asks you to pay more than twice as much with worse emulation and less features left an impression. Surely they saw the excitement the console build, and the pricing they went with was clearly a big contributing factor to it.
It's just standard practice to mark down prices significantly when you buy something in bulk. If Nintendo ever did that on their consoles - for instance, a 10 pack bundle of NES games - they might price it at $30 instead of $50.

Shahadan

You should try it yourself first.

You have 47 posts and half of them is you being an antagonistic smart ass about insiders. That'll just get you banned. You're not the first guy trying this.

Terrell

based on the last fifteen years of Nintendo third party support

Based on the last 15 years of video gaming history, we would not be in the current market position we're currently in. Things ARE allowed to change, and do so quite a lot.

I've put a ton of time into Overwatch this year and I would 200% triple-dip if it came to Switch, but... As an online-only game, it's heavily reliant on the number of people playing. It makes almost no sense for Blizzard to bring a game like that to any console at launch. If the Switch sells well enough, I have no doubt that Blizzard would consider porting it down the line.

If Nintendo offers online without walls like Sony and MS do, there's nothing stopping Blizzard from letting Switch users play with PC users. Which would resolve the "number of players" problem.

I've got a hunch that a lot of people will be disappointed and downright aggressive towards Nintendo after the presentation. As slick and as cool as the Switch looks, it's still Nintendo. Family friendly gimmicky Nintendo. Don't forget that.

And Nintendo can never ever change, ever. EVER. /s

Richie

I have doubts on that. On the flip side, VC should be able to make smooth transitions between systems for now on.

Yeah, that's a positive to look forward to!

It's just standard practice to mark down prices significantly when you buy something in bulk. If Nintendo ever did that on their consoles - for instance, a 10 pack bundle of NES games - they might price it at $30 instead of $50.

This is true, forgot to comment upon it but yes, you're right! And hey, that's something that'd go a long way toward alleviating much complaints. Discounts for buying games in bundles. Much more promotions and sales in the VC overall!

EDarkness

If Nintendo offers online without walls like Sony and MS do, there's nothing stopping Blizzard from letting Switch users play with PC users. Which would resolve the "number of players" problem.

I really hope that Nintendo doesn't charge for online play. It's another thing that makes playing games on my PS4 difficult. I don't want to pay them for online play. I paid for Xbox Live for a couple of years, but stopped that, too. I'd play Overwatch on my Mac, but there's no Mac version so it would be something I'd consider on the NS...provided pointing to aim was included.

If Nintendo offers online without walls like Sony and MS do, there's nothing stopping Blizzard from letting Switch users play with PC users

PC against console in an FPS? That's reason enough to not let that happen. Switch vs PS4/Xbox One would be possible, but Sony hasn't been too willing on that front. At best it could be Switch merged with Xbox.

J@hranimo

Banned
So possibly Steep huh? That did look interesting at E3 although the lack of further press until the negative impressions put it off my radar. Makes sense.

On topic: So sorry if this was discussed already, but how much are you guys expecting GameCube VC games to cost? $20 USD?

Sony has walls when it comes to platform crossover games, even simple chess games had not been allowed to have crossover multiplayer with WiiU or XOne. Nintendo had never restrictions for this case.

EDarkness

PC against console in an FPS? That's reason enough to not let that happen. Switch vs PS4/Xbox One would be possible, but Sony hasn't been too willing on that front. At best it could be Switch merged with Xbox.

I think PC/NS pairing could be cool with pointing. If it's dual analog, then I can see that not going over very well.

Gaspard

So possibly Steep huh? That did look interesting at E3 although the lack of further press until the negative impressions put it off my radar. Makes sense.

On topic: So sorry if this was discussed already, but how much are you guys expecting GameCube VC games to cost? $20 USD?

$15 for a midpoint between N64 and Wii.

Shahadan

15 hopefully.

I wonder if we'll get 1080° on VC

Nintendo needs more variable pricing for VC games. Balloon Fight or Yoshi shouldn't be the same price as Kirby's Adventure or SMB3. I would prefer that they just lower the price of everything by $2, but I'm personally still fine with Super Metroid or A Link to the Past being $8 as I think they hold up very well today and cost a lot less than Square Enix's mobile SNES ports. I think Wii games should be $15.99 max though (assuming they show up) with Gamecube titles being something like $12.49.

This is Nintendo though, so everything will stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom