• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After January 12 I expect Mario to be front and center.

Yeah, maybe with some Splatoon, seeing as it's rumored to be the pack-in. I can't remember, for the Wii U, did they advertise it with Nintendo Land or New Super Mario Bros. U more prominently?

Switch store ads are coming!

C05bPCLUAAAkdfW.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/LiamPomfret/status/814688899968614400
Here we go!!

I'm expecting at least 50 games (retail) at launch. First party included.

In its three months, that's doable. Even if they release that much in its first month, it would only hurt Nintendo and cannabilize sales of some games.

Its good to stretch out games instead of having droughts for several months.

There seems to be a negative aura around Switch lately.
Especially around people I know on Twitter that prefer PC and PS4.
The Eurogamer article giving a pretty terrible image of what Switch will be capable of with no games to showcase it likely didn't help especially so far away from the reveal. Hard to make "half as powerful as the Xbox one" look good especially with no games detailed. Could've been "hey, looks better than Wii U and that Zelda and Mario trailer looks amazing!"
I'm hoping that things will change with the reveal event and that E.G. Didn't doom Switch discussions for a long period of time.
Liked that they were generally positive but people are freaking out because of stuff we were told to expect months ago

The Eurogamer article giving a pretty terrible image of what Switch will be capable of with no games to showcase it likely didn't help especially so far away from the reveal. Hard to make "half as powerful as the Xbox one" look good especially with no games detailed. Could've been "hey, looks better than Wii U and that Zelda and Mario trailer looks amazing!"
I'm hoping that things will change with the reveal event and that E.G. Didn't doom Switch discussions for a long period of time.
Liked that they were generally positive but people are freaking out because of stuff we were told to expect months ago
Wait, really? People are freaking out over that? I mean, we are talking about a portable device here. Expecting a PS4 or XB1 level system is kinda crazy, considering the form factor. I'm just happy that their next handheld is considerably above the Wii U and that everything will be on one platform :p Don't know if things will be stellar for the system but I'm personally looking forward to it

First-party games and the pricing are going to have to sell the Switch. I don't think a spec article by Eurogamer before the proper unveil is going to sway many people one way or the other.

Nintendo framing this as a home console you can take on the go may foster negativity about the specs, though.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I'm not a huge fan of leaks. As you said, when you have "bad news," wrap it up in something good to reassure people, like announcements of current-gen ports or trailers of games looking great. But since this was leaked information, all we got is the bad news. Nintendo clearly wants to drop the bombs at once in January, so they won't release a game trailer in isolation just as a reaction to the leak. Hopefully, the conference delivers.

xxTY6fS.gif

I really hope that y'all would enjoy the countdown gif

I'm starting to think the countdown gif theme's revolving around Nintendo commercials / advertisements, and each gif will go to the next Nintendo system in line; probably with the last gif or 2 using the Switch reveal trailer.

If that's the case, then one of the gifs needs to be that old Australian NES commercial before we jump ship to the Game Boy or SNES

See, it even has the Duck Hunt Dog in it

I understand. But why all the disappointment when the weaker specs leaked, and comparisons to portable Wii U?

PS2 in HD. Xx

Extremely.

Well, people expected/wanted them to be higher numbers. That is natural. I don't think that discredits anything we talked about.

People calling the Switch a "portable Wii U" even undocked is not really accurate due to why I said earlier, but it is really the only Nintendo system it can be compared to. Nintendo showing off those Wii U ports doesn't help with that, but it should be ok as long as Nintendo also advertises some exclusive games that takes full advantage of the hardware.

On a related note, I believe the PSVita proved to most people that it is disingenuous to call it a PS2-HD. That doesn't even makes sense anyway because the screen is not even in a HD resolution. :D

Daschysta

An interesting angle could be games targeting handheld specifically. So long as Nintendo has no regulations on whether a game has to be optimized for docked mode I see no reason smaller/ midscale devs couldn't simply release games ( particulary in Japan) that are made primarily to be played on the go. Will save tons in dev costs, will allow devs to reuse alot of 3DS assets if they choose and ensure a healthy stream of particulary japanese softwaere that would normally go to 3DS or Vita. Switch provides a great chance for games that were prinarily handheld to now offer greater local multiplayer/coop focus via docked mode too. They could just release handheld games with a free upscale in docked mode, while still allowing Switch to get marquee games aimed at consoles (provided porting is as easy as advertised). DQ 11 could be particulary benefitted as they could mandate the game plays in 3DS mode on the go, and ps4 mode when docked.

Regardless I'll be shocked if Switch doesn't at least dominate Japan, given that Pokémon, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Dragon Quest 11 are all basically guaranteed million sellers in the first year or launch with MH, Yokai watch, animal crossing etc... assured in the future.

antonz

See now if all of these incoming Switch ads feature Zelda and a March 2017 date, it's really weird if it misses launch....but this is Nintendo so I don't think they care.

Nintendo is simply using its already premade press material for early advertising. All the images are from the press kit

I don't know why there is a focus on the number of games. Quality is more important than quality. If he switch launched with mario plus 50 indie games people would be complaining incessantly. what they need are some big titles to create hype. Obviously fillers will be important but they won't make the switch a must have product.

I'm worried pre-orders will go faster than the NES classic Mini. As soon as they go up, I'm going to be as quick as I can to pre-order and hope for the best

One of the perks of living in Australia. Most of the Nintendo products that have huge sell outs don't seem to have a problem in Australia.

BreakAtmo

As wack as the idea of 50 launch titles sounds, I do wonder. I feel like it might happen, assuming you count indie ports and remasters and the like. The two main reasons why are:

- All the Wii U games that will probably be ported to the Switch. They basically have to do it since the Wii U is being discontinued after very low lifetime sales, and a lot of it could be handled by decent porting houses like Bluepoint.
- The leaks from Emily (I think) about how the Switch is ahead of schedule and will absolutely be launching in March with zero chance of a delay. I might be making too much of a leap here, but that makes it sound possible to me that the Switch hardware could have been released for the holidays, but is being held back because Nintendo wants to amass a tremendous, record-breaking launch lineup, so that every kind of gamer has multiple games to buy. Of course, it could also be that the launch game development wasn't keeping up with the hardware. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

gogojira

As long as either Zelda or Mario hit on launch, I'm cool. I know the rumors, but I still lean towards seeing Zelda at launch with Mario coming during the holiday. If they can pull off one or the other with Splatoon 1.5 and a GC game or two, I'll be buying the shit out of some Switch games at launch.

I think Zelda would create the most noise but if Skyrim is there, would it be open-world overkill???
Then maybe Mario and Splatoon is a nice addition.
Keep in mind, I forget when Skyrim is expected.

An interesting angle could be games targeting handheld specifically. So long as Nintendo has no regulations on whether a game has to be optimized for docked mode I see no reason smaller/ midscale devs couldn't simply release games ( particulary in Japan) that are made primarily to be played on the go. Will save tons in dev costs, will allow devs to reuse alot of 3DS assets if they choose and ensure a healthy stream of particulary japanese softwaere that would normally go to 3DS or Vita. Switch provides a great chance for games that were prinarily handheld to now offer greater local multiplayer/coop focus via docked mode too. They could just release handheld games with a free upscale in docked mode, while still allowing Switch to get marquee games aimed at consoles (provided porting is as easy as advertised). DQ 11 could be particulary benefitted as they could mandate the game plays in 3DS mode on the go, and ps4 mode when docked.

Regardless I'll be shocked if Switch doesn't at least dominate Japan, given that Pokémon, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Dragon Quest 11 are all basically guaranteed million sellers in the first year or launch with MH, Yokai watch, animal crossing etc... assured in the future.

Well, the only difference between docked-mode and HH-mode that we know of is that the GPU is clocked down. That means that if devs pushes the system, the costs will be basically the same even if you just target HH-mode. Of course, you don't need to push the hardware and devs can simply port 3DS/Vita stuff to it. Devs that not pursuing dock-mode could just use the power to change the resolution.

sonto340

I have a vaguely switch related question.
Does anyone know if you can change a gamestop online order to an in store pick up order? I've got about $500 in trade in credit that's been sitting there waiting for the switch that I plan on using as soon as they open preorders online and I'd like to avoid going to the store if at all possible until the night it comes out. Thanks!

gogojira

I think Zelda would create the most noise but if Skyrim is there, would it be open-world overkill???
Then maybe Mario and Splatoon is a nice addition.
Keep in mind, I forget when Skyrim is expected.

Man, I just can't see people giving much of a shit about Skyrim on Switch. Maybe I'm wrong? In no way do I see it overlapping with Zelda.

EDarkness

Well, the only difference between docked-mode and HH-mode that we know of is that the GPU is clocked down. That means that if devs pushes the system, the costs will be basically the same even if you just target HH-mode. Of course, you don't need to push the hardware and devs can simply port 3DS/Vita stuff to it. Devs that not pursuing dock-mode could just use the power to change the resolution.

Honestly, I REALLY hope this doesn't happen. It should be considered a console first...then handheld. That way everyone gets what they want out of the thing.

*EDIT* If I end up making NS games, that's how I'll approach it. Make sure the console guys get something cool and allow the system to scale the game down with minor adjustments when needed. This way the console only guys don't get the shaft. No reason why they can't get the best looking game that they can when the system is docked.

Umibozu

I honestly think the main reason why nintendo are framing the switch as a console first is to get away with pricing their games at a console level rather than a handheld level. Hope I'm wrong and they go for more variable pricing, but it would make sense that consumers would find it hard to pay $60US for what is perceived as handheld games.

Still hyped and will probably have a preorder as soon as one becomes available. Just a thought.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-Order floodgates are gonna open comes January 13th, aren't they?

god I hope so. I can only buy the switch on amazon germany b/c of giftcards and I just want to get the pre-order over with.

also I'm looking forward to see if there are differences between japanese and eurocentric advertisement.

TLZ

Banned
On a related note, I believe the PSVita proved to most people that it is disingenuous to call it a PS2-HD. That doesn't even makes sense anyway because the screen is not even in a HD resolution. :D

Heh I know, but that's how it looked like on Vita's screen to me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
RMC talked about ads at Gamestop stores, while the ones recently posted in the thread are for JB Hifi, an Australian gaming retail chain. Not the same thing.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Well we're two week from the Switch Presentation, i guess i expected stores to receive related material.
Weren't these things supposed to go up after the 12th?

Like sure, i agree. But Nintendo aren't going to announce the Switch release date via advertising material at JB HI FI.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Was a bit of an odd feeling to see my tweet already on NeoGAF before I'd gotten home and had a chance to post it myself.

Those boxes were actually double-sided. Here's what they showed on the other side. This was the side the store actually had on display.
C05jfYkUcAE078P.jpg:large

uh, I like it. shows what the switch can do and how it works in a easy to understand way.

showed them my mother even she understood the message >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom