• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
No, a console being successful only based on the merit of specs has never been true since the first generation. What really matters is the games. One thing that Nintendo has obviously learned with the DS+Wii is that new gaming experiences trumps the specs race. What they've also learned with the Wii U is that those new experiences are totally supported by software. If Nintendo really, and I mean really succeeds to sell the concept of the Switch to the market mainly though games, mobiles phones and home console will feel outdated almost overnight.

I'm not saying the Switch won't be successful. I'm saying R* isn't bringing RDR2 to Switch because not enough people ask for it.

And the bolded it just, come on. I don't know what exactly you mean with "outdated", but games on smart phones have taken a spot in people's lives that dedicated video game hardware will never reach.

LordKano

So Scorpio will outsell everything on the market by a large margin, right?

Yes
LhOSOk3.gif

oti

Banned
So Scorpio will outsell everything on the market by a large margin, right?

No, don't be like this.

If a consumer who is neither a Nintendo or a Sony fan, neither a Switch or a PS4 owner sees RDR2 and wants to buy it, which version will they buy?

If they care about the tech they'll get the PS4 version.
If they care about the Handheld they'll get the Switch version.

I just think that A) there are more people who care about the tech than people who care about the Handheld. Don't forget they have to care enough about video games to buy a new piece of hardware plus a game in order to play RDR2. Those are already big hurdles. And B) if they go to the store and see both versions side by side, seeing how the handheld market is shrinking in the West, my guess would be most care more about the graphical fidelity on the TV. And that's the PS4 version.

And of course price is the most important factor here but you can get a PS4 Slim for 200€. Switch will most likely be more expensive than that.

Now the real wildcard here would be if the Switch version looked almost indistinguishable to the PS4 version. That would be interesting to observe.

What you're saying about the Scorpio sales is jumping to extremes and that's just awful for every discussion. The differences between PS4/ Pro and Scorpio should be less obvious than PS4/ Pro and Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not saying that the portability is a sure win. I'm just saying that portability is an additional incentive to buy 3rd party games on Switch. Games that will be similar (but not the same) with the other versions, not just some stupid spin-offs. And that makes it for the first time an incentive ( a gimmick if you want ) that won't impact massively the ports.

Because this time around there is a much better dev support (from bettter tools to modern engines supports) and scalability.

It doesn't mean it's a clear win, that needs to be proven, but you're dismissing it way too soon.

Kurt

No, don't be like this.

If a consumer who is neither a Nintendo or a Sony fan, neither a Switch or a PS4 owner sees RDR2 and wants to buy it, which version will they buy?

If they care about the tech they'll get the PS4 version.
If they care about the Handheld they'll get the Switch version.

1. Being portable is also related about caring tech and a BIG deal.
2. Also caring about tech , most people would by the pc version instead
3 .I don't think that this is a real big thing. Mostly it's all about marketing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Let's not ignore that the piss poor tech that 3ds is still hasn't been caught in sales by PS4 despite an obvious decline in handheld market.

Mobile plays a huge role in everybody's life and that has to do also with availability (doing things when and where you can, not reserving time specially for it). My feeling is that could be a good incentive also for gaming if the tech is not very limiting like it was until now.

The only question here is if Switch will be a popular device and if it will provide enough incentives to overcome the fact that it's not "the best tech available" for gaming. But again, neither PS4 is. It's all about convenience and games.

Scrawnton

Let's not ignore that the piss poor tech that 3ds is still hasn't been caught in sales by PS4 despite an obvious decline in handheld market.

Mobile plays a huge role in everybody's life and that has to do also with availability (doing things when and where you can, not reserving time specially for it). My feeling is that could be a good incentive also for gaming if the tech is not very limiting like it was until now.

The only question here is if Switch will be a popular device and if it will provide enough incentives to overcome the fact that it's not "the best tech available" for gaming. But again, neither PS4 is. It's all about convenience and games.

I support the 3DS and it's my favorite system as of right now but it's unfair to compare sales with PS4. 3DS has been out for almost 20 months more than PS4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I support the 3DS and it's my favorite system as of right now but it's unfair to compare sales with PS4. 3DS has been out for almost 20 months more than PS4.

That wasn't my point. PS4 will overpass it next year most probably. The point was that people still value the portability despite tech enough to make up for part of the tech handicap even when competing with the fastest selling console in history.

18-Volt

I wonder if this thing will ever get third support ever. From looks of it we get more rumors of games NOT appearing on Switch than ones that might. Right now only confirmed titles are Skyrim and (maybe) NBA, and rumored titles are Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls 3.

I'm trying to think what could come to Switch but i'm drawing blank. Watch Dogs 2? Hmmm, no. Mafia 3? No. Rise of Tomb Raider? No. Persona 5? I really don't think so. SFV? No chance in hell. Mankind Divided? Nope. Ninokuni 2? Inazuma Eleven is coming, so no.

There is already a MH this year and Platinum is too busy. So there is not much left for Switch. I hope those surprises Laura is talking about are really unexpected.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Was a bit of an odd feeling to see my tweet already on NeoGAF before I'd gotten home and had a chance to post it myself.

Those boxes were actually double-sided. Here's what they showed on the other side. This was the side the store actually had on display.
C05jfYkUcAE078P.jpg:large

Hey, look, Switch is not an elaborate nintendo hoax after all - it will be sold in stores!

Zedark

I wonder if this thing will ever get third support ever. From looks of it we get more rumors of games NOT appearing on Switch than ones that might. Right now only confirmed titles are Skyrim and (maybe) NBA, and rumored titles are Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls 3.

I'm trying to think what could come to Switch but i'm drawing blank. Watch Dogs 2? Hmmm, no. Mafia 3? No. Rise of Tomb Raider? No. Persona 5? I really don't think so. SFV? No chance in hell. Mankind Divided? Nope. Ninokuni 2? Inazuma Eleven is coming, so no.

There is already a MH this year and Platinum is too busy. So there is not much left for Switch. I hope those surprises Laura is talking about are really unexpected.

Are these just gut feelings or do you have a reason for them?

Persona 5 will inevitably get an expanded version and Switch is the only console capable enough for that portable version.

Ni No Kuni was originally a DS game and II isn't a PS4 exclusive, so I see that as likely actually.

And as for Watch Dogs 2, Ubisoft will have some sort of late port at launch if the Wii U is anything to go by.

LordKano

From your list : Watch Dogs 2 won't probably, too old for that. ROTTR too, it will be a year and a half old by the Switch release. Persona 5 is likely, because every Persona has got a portable edition at some point. SFV is funded by Sony so it won't be. Mankid Divded bombed and would be almost a year old by the Switch release. Ni No Kuni II has a good chance to come IMO. And Inazuma Eleven is assuredly a Switch game.

Oregano

I do agree that at the moment there's not a long list of games that are "obviously coming to Switch". I think Nintendo has a lot to prove, on that note I'm going to try and predict as much of the launch games as possible:

Super Mario Switch
Splatoon Switch
Rabbids x Mario Rpg
Rayman 2 ;-)
Just Dance
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered
Fifa
Madden
NBA
Skyrim
Tekken 7
Disgaea 5
Musou Stars
Lego City Undercover
FAST Racing NEO Ex
Trine 3

It's going to be very reminiscent of the Wii U launch, which was actually quite good looking back at it.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I wonder how many MyNintendo points the Switch will come with. I'm guessing 1000.

On a less dull point of that same topic; I wonder if they'll have some exclusive piece of software a la Zelda Picross at launch to get people using MyNintendo.

random25

Ummm...Dragon Quest X and XI?

Its going to get lots of 3rd party support from the big boys in Japan

Western support... who knows but clearly the amount of investment to put games on the system is FAR less than it was on WiiU

Shiggy

I wonder how many MyNintendo points the Switch will come with. I'm guessing 1000.

On a less dull point of that same topic; I wonder if they'll have some exclusive piece of software a la Zelda Picross at launch to get people using MyNintendo.

1000 Platinum Points?

I do agree that at the moment there's not a long list of games that are "obviously coming to Switch". I think Nintendo has a lot to prove, on that note I'm going to try and predict as much of the launch games as possible:

Super Mario Switch
Splatoon Switch
Rabbids x Mario Rpg
Rayman 2 ;-)
Just Dance
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered
Fifa
Madden
NBA
Skyrim
Tekken 7
Disgaea 5
Musou Stars
Lego City Undercover
FAST Racing NEO Ex
Trine 3

It's going to be very reminiscent of the Wii U launch, which was actually quite good looking back at it.

That list just depressed me.

orioto

Good Art™
Ummm...Dragon Quest X and XI?

I love that automatic answer.. You know that's not what they're talking about when they say third party :)

I personally don't care and i'm convinced the Switch won't have all those games, and can do better than the other consoles only with the existing 3ds audience.

No need to act like you're someone else when you can win with your own strengths. If there is a thunder to steal, it's the japanese third party on PS4. From Software, SE, Nipon ichi, Vanilla ware etc... I hope they can steal some of that.

Only third party support I care about is the kind that the DS and 3DS got.

Please leave the paint-by-number open-world AAA checkbox games where they belong - elsewhere.

random25

I love that automatic answer.. You know that's not what they're talking about when they say third party :)

I personally don't care and i'm convinced the Switch won't have all those games, and can do better than the other consoles only with the existing 3ds audience.

No need to act like you're someone else when you can win with your own strengths. If there is a thunder to steal, it's the japanese third party on PS4. From Software, SE, Nipon ichi, Vanilla ware etc... I hope they can steal some of that.

The thing is, nobody aside from a few has yet to announce something for the Switch. And he mentions Japanese third party games so I'm just saying. :)

I'll just wait for January event and the after launch announcements rather than speculate which will come and which will not.

PrimeBeef

The thing is, nobody aside from a few has yet to announce something for the Switch. And he mentions Japanese third party games so I'm just saying. :)

I'll just wait for January event and the after launch announcements rather than speculate which will come and which will not.

It could be possible Nintendo has asked the players involved to hold off until the the NS event.

oti

Banned
All this impossible third party support is hurting

Didn't want to start this topic all over again. All I'm saying is in the specific case of RDR2, although it might be the biggest game of 2017, I don't see why a Switch version needs to exist, from a business standpoint. Of course Nintendo would be missing out but for R* it wouldn't be worth the hassle and there are enough PS4/XBO consoles out there to sell that game on. Nintendo could offer them a bag full of money but that is highly unlikely and I wonder if R* would even care.

weepy

Only third party support I care about is the kind that the DS and 3DS got.

Please leave the paint-by-number open-world AAA checkbox games where they belong - elsewhere.

No offense but it's this kind of attitude that will put a lot of non-portable owners off the system if that's the case (which I hope it isn't). Besides, they're still supporting the DS line, while their main home console is all but dead. Let's get something for the Switch that couldn't be done on the 3DS or the WiiU.

oti

Banned
Launch lineup prediction:

- Zelda
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart 8 Enhanced Port
- Some kind of Wii Sports game
- Some kind of Nintendoland game

- Mario X Rabbids
- Just Dannce

The rest I have no idea really. FIFA should be a given, Skyrim maybe (I just think Zelda and Skyrim would be odd), NBA2K etc.

m4st4

Launch lineup prediction:

- Zelda
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart 8 Enhanced Port
- Some kind of Wii Sports game
- Some kind of Nintendoland game

- Mario X Rabbids
- Just Dannce

The rest I have no idea really. FIFA should be a given, Skyrim maybe (I just think Zelda and Skyrim would be odd), NBA2K etc.

Splatoon is port though.

Will I be able to finally finish Earthbound? Can we expect it on VC for Switch?

El Topo

I kind of have to agree with Yado, although I'm excited for the new Mario game. That would be a genuinely underwhelming line-up.

m4st4

I wouldn't mind MK8 on that list but new 3D Mario and Splatoon (which I've never played before) would be pretty damn good. I can't play that many games these days and Zelda would be around the corner.

Does launch day itself really have to impress that much?

I'm much more keen that launch window and beyond has a steady trickle of great games without droughts. Besides, it'll be hard to want to play anything else on it with new 3D Mario and Splatoon on Day One.

radcliff

I don't think Madden will be at launch. It would be pointless as the season and the Super Bowl would already be over. Most likely, many players won't even be on the same teams anymore due to contracts ending. Releasing Madden in March will be sabotaging its chances of succeeding. It would make much more sense to wait to release Madden 18 day and date with the other platforms.

Rodin

People, really, stop expecting RDR2 for switch, you are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. Did you guys see RDR2 trailer at all?

Who's expecting RDR2 on the Switch? And actually, if anyone is setting himself up for disappointment, that's you, if you think the game will look like that on consoles.

That list just depressed me.
... what exactly are you expecting to see at launch?

Oregano

There isn't a single game there I'd be excited to play.

I kind of have to agree with Yado, although I'm excited for the new Mario game. That would be a genuinely underwhelming line-up.

You're probably going to be underwhelmed then, sadly. They won't want to compete with Mario for attention.

I don't think Madden will be at launch. It would be pointless as the season and the Super Bowl would already be over. Most likely, many players won't even be on the same teams anymore due to contracts ending. Releasing Madden in March will be sabotaging its chances of succeeding. It would make much more sense to wait to release Madden 18 day and date with the other platforms.

EA sabotaging Madden and FIFA is the most realistic part of my list. They have to release at least one contractually but they won't want to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom