• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

You gonna trust me now that Zelda is a launch game?
I want to, but you'd think that the likes of Emily & Laura would have at least heard conflicting reports both ways rather than pretty much all of their sources saying not at launch (or June in Laura's case). And as mentioned earlier, BotW is the only publicaly-announced Switch game that has ample footage right now.

I want Zelda to be at launch, I really do, but said leakers seem to be indicating otherwise. Not only that, but given that they're saying that Skyrim is gonna be at launch as well, it'd be a bit too much open-world gaming for Day 1 (& Zelda would definitely eat into Skyrim's profits, which would be bad news for the Switch's long-term third party support). On top of that, Super Mario Run would give some solid momentum for the 3D Mario game to be Day 1.

People, really, stop expecting RDR2 for switch, you are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. Did you guys see RDR2 trailer at all?

oti

Banned
I want to, but you'd think that the likes of Emily & Laura would have at least heard conflicting reports both ways rather than pretty much all of their sources saying not at launch (or June in Laura's case). And as mentioned earlier, BotW is the only publicaly-announced Switch game that has ample footage right now.

I want Zelda to be at launch, I really do, but said leakers seem to be indicating otherwise. Not only that, but given that they're saying that Skyrim is gonna be at launch as well, it'd be a bit too much open-world gaming for Day 1 (& Zelda would definitely eat into Skyrim's profits, which would be bad news for the Switch's long-term third party support). On top of that, Super Mario Run would give some solid momentum for the 3D Mario game to be Day 1.

What if Zelda is at launch but Skyrim isn't?
🤔

I know what the leakers say and I generally believe what they say. But again, the way Nintendo has been positioning Zelda as THE Switch game makes me question the delay rumours.

In the end all we have on possible delay reasons is "they underestimated QA and translation time" and I just can't see this being the case.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
R* ignores even the PC market when launching a new game, a market that provides them with some healthy sales. The chances that R* will launch anything on Switch until the console proved itself to be a good market for 3rd parties are close to 0. Maybe a port in 2018 after one holiday has passed and they can judge the sales properly.

AzaK

Was a bit of an odd feeling to see my tweet already on NeoGAF before I'd gotten home and had a chance to post it myself.

Those boxes were actually double-sided. Here's what they showed on the other side. This was the side the store actually had on display.
C05jfYkUcAE078P.jpg:large

They shouldn't put them too close to the Wii U shelves...they'll get contaminated.

R* ignores even the PC market when launching a new game, a market that provides them with some healthy sales. The chances that R* will launch anything on Switch until the console proved itself to be a good market for 3rd parties are close to 0. Maybe a port in 2018 after one holiday has passed and they can judge the sales properly.

Exactly. Most of their market already has a great console or PC. What extra would you really get on yet another platform that's underpowered and generally not friendly to western third parties.

oti

Banned

Keep your Red Dead.
Give me Table tennis 2.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Exactly. Most of their market already has a great console or PC. What extra would you really get on yet another platform that's underpowered and generally not friendly to western third parties.
The Switch will probably have a different audience than the other platforms which means that a new set of customers might be exposed to the franchise for the first time.

Phoenixus

If 50 games includes Virtual Console and eshop games, then its possible. Good chance of many quality, lesser known titles getting lost in the shuffle though, better to go for half that on day one and spread out the rest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Switch will probably have a different audience than the other platforms which means that a new set of customers might be exposed to the franchise for the first time.

That audience, if it will exists, has to prove itself as a viable audience for 3rd parties before being included into business plans.

Vic

That audience, if it will exists, has to prove itself as a viable audience for 3rd parties before being included into business plans.
I totally agree, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

BTW, I'm not arguing that we'll see a version of RDR2, just touching the general idea of 3rd parties on the Switch.

Neoxon

This, so expect most western third party publishers to take a wait-&-see stance concerning some of their bigger projects.

EDarkness

This, so expect most western third party publishers to take a wait-&-see stance concerning some of their bigger projects.

While this tactic makes business sense, I hope it doesn't lead to a shitload of Test Games that never amount to anything even if people buy them. That shit totally sucked during the Wii days.

Vic

I'm not delusional; for big portion of 3rd parties, publishing titles on Sony & MS platforms is much more preferable than any Nintendo console. But if the Switch really becomes big or one title in the genre they're invested it becomes a hit, they'll be there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I totally agree, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

BTW, I'm not arguing that we'll see a version of RDR2, just touching the general idea of 3rd parties on the Switch.

I hope Nintendo is willing to provide full support for those eggs. I think that if Nintendo would step up the game by doing cross marketing and bundles for multiplats then maybe 3rd parties would be more willing to take some more chances.

Vic

I hope Nintendo is willing to provide full support for those eggs. I think that if Nintendo would step up the game by doing cross marketing and bundles for multiplats then maybe 3rd parties would be more willing to take some more chances.
I'll say that Nintendo doing their best to facilitate 3rd party development on their platform is already a good sign.

oti

Banned
I want it to happen just for the reactions here at GAF.
Until the Digital Foundry analysis gets released and the discussion turns nasty.

Ha, ha! I think you'd be seriously surprised by how many folks would like for this to happen. That's why it keeps coming up.

Imagine a Venn diagram. One bubble is the Switch-only audience, the other bubble is the RDR audience.

Yeah.

The_Lump

Banned
Zelda never was and is in my opinion still not a launch title. Those images are from the press kit. They are essentially stock Switch images and Zelda being on them is meaningless.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, you and maybe 5 other people.

I think you underestimate the appeal of portability and availability.

Also the fact that it's a two way road. This would be not only about selling 3rd parties to Nintendo audience, but also selling the Switch outside Nintendo audience. Having the most important games launching in a year on your device would do wonders for the second part.

Not going to happen though.

EDarkness

Imagine a Venn diagram. One bubble is the Switch-only audience, the other bubble is the RDR audience.

Yeah.

My opinion, of course, but even visiting other forums there seems to be people who want this game on the NS. I say let the market decide this. This idea that players won't play these kinds of games on Nintendo hardware is crazy. If the game is well supported and runs well, I think people will be fine with it. Rockstar would be smart to capitalize on that NS hype and I don't think anyone would be upset about that. The more games the better.

oti

Banned
I think you underestimate the appeal of portability and availability.

Also the fact that it's a two way road. This would be not only about selling 3rd parties to Nintendo audience, but also selling the Switch outside Nintendo audience. Having the most important games launching in a year on your device would do wonders for the second part.

Not going to happen though.
I think you overestimate that portability appeal. People want those blockbusters on good/the best hardware. I can only see a port if Nintendo struck a deal with R*, but why? R* has enough platforms to sell their games on. Chinatown Wars only exists because smart devices weren't as big of a thing back then.

My opinion, of course, but even visiting other forums there seems to be people who want this game on the NS. I say let the market decide this. This idea that players won't play these kinds of games on Nintendo hardware is crazy. If the game is well supported and runs well, I think people will be fine with it. Rockstar would be smart to capitalize on that NS hype and I don't think anyone would be upset about that. The more games the better.
What do you think R* not releasing RDR2 on Switch is? That's the market deciding it's not worth the resources. It would be an interesting experiment, of course.

Vic

I think you overestimate that portability appeal. People want those blockbusters on good/the best hardware. I can only see a port if Nintendo struck a deal with R*, but why? R* has enough platforms to sell their games on. Chinatown Wars only exists because smart devices weren't as big of a thing back then.

What do you think R* not releasing RDR2 on Switch is? That's the market deciding it's not worth the resources. It would be an interesting experiment, of course.
This has never been true in this industry.

The_Lump

Banned

R* is the market for R* games?? Interesting theory.

He clearly means they should let the Switch owners decide. Which I agree is a nice idea, but it is not up to R* alone to take that risk. Nintendo would have to either publish/pay for promotions or something as an incentive for the Rockstar - or any other estranged 3rd party publisher - to take a gamble. It's up to Nintendo to extend the olive branch at this point.

oti

Banned
This has never been true in this industry.

I get what you're saying, but you're a little late here my friend. I bet your argument is based on the performance of the Wii and you're right, but times have changed. Those people play on their phones and maybe buy a PS4 and that's it.

The mainstream audience will see a PS4 ad for Red Dead, that's what they'll buy the game for. Most of us, people on GAF, will get the best version. Some people would get the Switch version, sure.

R* is the market for R* games?? Interesting theory.

He clearly means they should let the Switch owners decide. Which I agree is a nice idea, but it is not up to R* alone to take that risk. Nintendo would have to either publish/pay for promotions or something as an incentive for the Rockstar - or any other estranged 3rd party publisher - to take a gamble. It's up to Nintendo to extend the olive branch at this point.

"The market" consists of consumers and producers. R* is a producer. If they don't believe there's enoughgh demand for their goods they won't supply them. That's "the market". What you're suggesting is unrealistic. If the costs of producing a good was zero, completely free, than sure. Let "the market", in that case only the consumers, decide whether they want to buy said good or not.

Your olive branch suggestion is interesting, but I don't think Nintendo has a lot of interest in that. That's not really what they do.

Oregano

It's going to be tough for Nintendo to get co-marketing deals because even if they were to match the offer Sony makes they'd have a smaller audience and it would mean asking publishers to show off inferior versions.

I get what you're saying, but you're a little late here my friend. I bet your argument is based on the performance of the Wii and you're right, but times have changed. Those people play on their phones and maybe buy a PS4 and that's it.

The mainstream audience will see a PS4 ad for Red Dead, that's what they'll buy the game for. Most of us, people on GAF, will get the best version. Some people would get the Switch version, sure.

"The market" cosnsits of consumers and producers. R* is a producer. If they don't believe there's abough demand for their goods they won't supply them. That's "the market". What you're suggesting is unrealistic. If the costs of producing a good was zero, completely free, than sure. Let "the market" decide whether they want to buy said good or not.

Well as far as we know the PS4 Slim is outselling the Pro so it's still true.

We're supposedly going to hear about a Switch VR title from OBE1 or whatever his name was today, right? I'm expecting it to be Metroid or F-Zero, or something very off the wall like Mach Rider. In the case of the second one, a first person VR racer could give the series the innovation that Miyamoto apparently wanted.

Edit: Or a port of an existing VR title or something very low budget.

oti

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;227391722 said:
Also PS2...

But some narratives will never die.

I get what you all mean and you're not wrong, but when it gets to stuff like Red Dead or GTA, games that transcend the medium and have mainstream appeal, I don't know. Did the Wii version of Call of Duty outsell either the 360 or the PS3 version?

It would definitely be interesting to see a Switch version of RDR2 that would be on par with the other versions (online system and so on) on everything but the graphics and how well that would sell. But that's just a thought experiment. Business realities will prevent that from happening.

The_Lump

Banned
"The market" consists of consumers and producers. R* is a producer. If they don't believe there's abough demand for their goods they won't supply them. That's "the market". What you're suggesting is unrealistic. If the costs of producing a good was zero, completely free, than sure. Let "the market", in that case only the consumers, decide whether they want to buy said good or not.

Your olive branch suggestion is interesting, but I don't think Nintendo has a lot of interest in that. That's not really what they do.

I know what Marketing is, I'm just explaining that that's clearly not what the person you are responding to was suggesting. They were suggesting exactly what I described, unrealistic or not.

And the 'olive branch' thing is the only thing they can do at this point unfortunately. It's become a chicken and egg thing, and Nintendo have to make the effort to have any chance of kick-starting 3rd party relationships.

Wait, really? People are freaking out over that? I mean, we are talking about a portable device here. Expecting a PS4 or XB1 level system is kinda crazy, considering the form factor. I'm just happy that their next handheld is considerably above the Wii U and that everything will be on one platform :p Don't know if things will be stellar for the system but I'm personally looking forward to it

A lot of people bought into the idea of a home console whose games can be carried out rather than a portable which has a TV out.

Vic

No, a console being successful only based on the merit of specs has never been true since the first generation. What really matters is the games. One thing that Nintendo has obviously learned with the DS+Wii is that new gaming experiences trumps the specs race. What they've also learned with the Wii U is that those new experiences are totally supported by software. If Nintendo really, and I mean really succeeds to sell the concept of the Switch to the market mainly though games, mobiles phones and home console will feel outdated almost overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom