• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radcliff

EA sabotaging Madden and FIFA is the most realistic part of my list. They have to release at least one contractually but they won't want to stick around.

But at least March is the start of the soccer season in the US, so it would actually make sense to release FIFA at launch. Madden in March just makes no sense at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
EA sabotaging Madden and FIFA is the most realistic part of my list. They have to release at least one contractually but they won't want to stick around.

So basically even later ports than the Wii U launch ones that nobody bought. Fantastic.

El Topo

You're probably going to be underwhelmed then, sadly. They won't want to compete with Mario for attention.

So people genuinely expect only one new Nintendo title at launch for a console whose main selling point are supposedly Nintendo titles and whose launch was delayed for a better lineup?
Several years into a new gen with consoles that might be available at the same price or cheaper with large libraries?
Please.

Orgen

There'll be third party games (ports from previous PS4/Xbox One games and simultaneous releases with some PS4/Xbox One future games) at least until 2018 so I wouldn't worry about that. The First Party side is the most interesting one despite all the "leaks" that have appeared lately.

oti

Banned
Have you seen the Switch trailer? Makes sense. To add more percentages on that: Laura Kate Dale. I'd say there's a far greater chance it's a port with added content than a full-on sequel.
Why does it "make sense"? Knowing Nintendo I'm sure there were tons of ideas for Splatoon 1 that had to be scrapped because of limited development time.

I'm sure Nintendo needs more time for the next Mario Kart so it makes sense to offer an enhanced port for launch. Add in all the DLC, a new battle mode, new characters and hopefully a lot of new tracks.

Nintendo wasn't even confident in giving BotW a March 2017 release date, even at the game awards. Put me in the camp that doesn't think it will be available at launch.

Oregano

But at least March is the start of the soccer season in the US, so it would actually make sense to release FIFA at launch. Madden in March just makes no sense at all.

So basically even later ports than the Wii U launch ones that nobody bought. Fantastic.

*shrugs* It's EA guys.

So people genuinely expect only one new Nintendo title at launch for a console whose main selling point are supposedly Nintendo titles and whose launch was delayed for a better lineup?

Rabbids x Mario will probably be Nintendo published even if developed by Ubisoft.

Splatoon is a port but it's still a bigger release.

Only third party support I care about is the kind that the DS and 3DS got.

Please leave the paint-by-number open-world AAA checkbox games where they belong - elsewhere.

"I don't like 'thing', so please keep it away so that other people who do enjoy it don't get to play it."

Do you see how ridiculous you sound? It's like some sort of defense mechanism against the possibility that yet another Nintendo system will be devoid of major third-party titles.

"Oh yeah? Well we didn't want them anyway!"

Christ.

- Some kind of Wii Sports game
- Some kind of Nintendoland game

what exactly do you mean by these/envision with these? like extensions of these series? would they take particular advantage of the hardware? isnt it pretty clear that things associated directly with wii branding/motion and wii U dual screen multiplayer are being left in the rear view? they're justifiably distancing themselves from those and adapting the most successful and fresh wii U software to brand new hardware

Oregano

There'll be third party games (ports from previous PS4/Xbox One games and simultaneous releases with some PS4/Xbox One future games) at least until 2018 so I wouldn't worry about that. The First Party side is the most interesting one despite all the "leaks" that have appeared lately.

Oh is that stuff you've heard or just personal speculation?

El Topo

Rabbids x Mario will probably be Nintendo published even if developed by Ubisoft.

Splatoon is a port but it's still a bigger release.

One new title is not a reasonable expectation. Don't try to bargain.
"Buy a Switch for new Nintendo titles. Did I say titles? I meant title. There's a new Mario title. There's also a port and a Ubisoft game."

oti

Banned
what exactly do you mean by these/envision with these? like extensions of these series? would they take particular advantage of the hardware? isnt it pretty clear that things associated directly with wii branding/motion and wii U dual screen multiplayer are being left in the rear view? they're justifiably distancing themselves from those and adapting the most successful and fresh wii U software to brand new hardware

I think there are still hardware features left we don't know yet or to put it in another way things Nintendo will make a huge deal out of. Going by the information we know to me it's obvious that that special hardware feature must be the Joy-Con.

They have rumble and it's supposed to be some sort of new and different rumble, whatever that means.
And they have motion sensors.

I don't think the Wii Sports on Switch will be called "Wii anything" but it will be that kind of game. Sports with motion sensors.

The Nintendoland-ish game would make sense to demonstrate that the Switch is a tablet. You know the game Wii U Party? It has a category of games that use the GamePad as a table or a board. For stuff like Foosball. I could imagine that for Switch as well. Also the Switch is coming with two controllers packed-in. That's a huge deal and it would be perfect for marketing to show two hands, with one handing over a Joy-Con to another hand or something. To drive the message of friendly multiplayer fun home.

Don't forget what I told you, it's still Nintendo. As slick as that Switch looks, it's still Nintendo. Family friendly and gimmicky Nintendo.

Oregano

One new title is not a reasonable expectation. Don't try to bargain.
"Buy a Switch for new Nintendo titles. Did I say titles? I meant title. There's a new Mario title. There's also a port and a Ubisoft game."

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Look at what they released for DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U. It wasn't an awful lot.

People, really, stop expecting RDR2 for switch, you are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. Did you guys see RDR2 trailer at all?

A) Who here is actually expecting RDR2? I'm pretty sure literally nobody is.

B) What does the trailer have to do with anything? All insider reports have told us that ports from PS4/XB1 shouldn't be a huge issue. This will be a RoI thing, not a tech thing.

El Topo

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Look at what they released for DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U. It wasn't an awful lot.

I think it is unreasonable to expect a new launch with only one new Nintendo title, given the context (e.g. other consoles, launch delay). I get the impression some are deliberately lowballing expectations.
Mario will sell for years, regardless of other launch titles. The idea that it would need special attention seems weird. Their big concern has to be to get Switch off the ground.

This will be a RoI thing, not a tech thing.

A title that looks and runs much worse than the other versions is possibly a much harder sell though. Whether or not each title can run in an acceptable manner without any effort is something that remains to be seen.
But yes, it is mostly about RoI.

People, really, stop expecting RDR2 for switch, you are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. Did you guys see RDR2 trailer at all?

I'm not saying it will come to Switch but if you showed someone the XB1PS4 version of GTA V you wouldn't think a last gen version would be possible yet there is a very impressive PS360 version of it.

Anything is possible if they see a market for it / Nintendo pays for it.

Mario, Zelda and Splatoon will all be day one imo with MK Switch coming in May and Smash Switch in July. Pokemon Stars in November will mean all their big franchises inside a year.

Another thing I would like Nintendo to sort out for the Switch is to make sure that any new multi-platform games release at the same time as PS4/XBone and not weeks later like they did with the Wii/PS3/360.

Oregano

I think it is unreasonable to expect a new launch with only one new Nintendo title, given the context (e.g. other consoles, launch delay). I get the impression some are deliberately lowballing expectations.
Mario will sell for years, regardless of other launch titles. The idea that it would need special attention seems weird. Their big concern has to be to get Switch off the ground.

A title that looks and runs much worse than the other versions is possibly a much harder sell though. Whether or not each title can run in an acceptable manner without any effort is something that remains to be seen.
But yes, it is mostly about RoI.

For better or worse the existence of other consoles won't really affect what Nintendo launches with. Either way those consoles will be cheaper and have bigger libraries.

Can I just say that as a Vita owner

Switch is looking like a very attractive upgrade to get all my japanese games on

On top of dedicated Nintendo software and future Monster Hunter titles? Someone pinch me!

A) Who here is actually expecting RDR2? I'm pretty sure literally nobody is.

B) What does the trailer have to do with anything? All insider reports have told us that ports from PS4/XB1 shouldn't be a huge issue. This will be a RoI thing, not a tech thing.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. There's a reason why many are not expecting high end games (Western or Japanese) to come to Switch and its the specs to put it bluntly. We'll see if it comes true or not.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It could be possible Nintendo has asked the players involved to hold off until the the NS event.

We know the NDA is a thing, so yes, that's the case.

Also: I'm going to post past Nintendo consoles launch lineups in all three territories in the "modern age", so starting with the GBA, in order to have a frame of reference on January 12th/13th. The post will be ready in the next few hours :p

These two things are not mutually exclusive. There's a reason why many are not expecting high end games (Western or Japanese) to come to Switch and its the specs to put it bluntly. We'll see if it comes true or not.

Yes, specs do affect the cost of porting versus the RoI, but a lot of people are acting like some PS4/XB1 games are simply not doable on the Switch due to specs, no matter how much time is dedicated to porting.

Which is baloney and has been debunked by insiders several times now.

Oregano

Can I just say that as a Vita owner

Switch is looking like a very attractive upgrade to get all my japanese games on

On top of dedicated Nintendo software and future Monster Hunter titles? Someone pinch me!

I would still be cautious about assuming Switch will pick up most of those games. It might/will get some but a lot will go different ways(PS4/Steam, Mobile, Death).

Yes, specs do affect the cost of porting versus the RoI, but a lot of people are acting like some PS4/XB1 games are simply not doable on the Switch due to specs, no matter how much time is dedicated to porting.

Which is baloney and has been debunked by insiders several times now.

Alot of you guys and insiders having been using unreal engine 4 as some benchmark though. Not every game uses unreal engine 4.

Alot of you guys and insiders having been using unreal engine 4 as some benchmark though. Not every game uses unreal engine 4.

Which insiders have used UE4 as a benchmark? Matt and OsirisBlack pretty bluntly stated that any PS4/XB1 can be ported without too much trouble, at least from the tech side. Not necessarily from the business side.

m4st4

Why does it "make sense"? Knowing Nintendo I'm sure there were tons of ideas for Splatoon 1 that had to be scrapped because of limited development time.

I'm sure Nintendo needs more time for the next Mario Kart so it makes sense to offer an enhanced port for launch. Add in all the DLC, a new battle mode, new characters and hopefully a lot of new tracks.

So 'tons of ideas' = full-on sequel? Got it. See you on January 12.

Makes sense because we've seen bits of footage and main takeaway was new gear on top of old character animations. No reason to believe it's anything more than what it already is plus bunch of addons. Oh and, you know, that trusty insider information.

Philippo

Playing the "guess the launch and 2017 line-up" game:

Mario Switch
Pikmin 4 
Mario Kart 8 Switch 
Smash Bros or Splatoon Switch 
Project Giant Robot
Nintendo Land Switch

Watch_Dogs 2
Just Dance 2017
Fifa 17
NBA
Madden
Resident Evil 7
Marvel vs Capcom 3
World of Final Fantasy
Life is Strange
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare or Modern Warfare Remastered
The Elder Scrolls Skyrim Remastered
Lego Star Wars / Marvel Super Heroes / Dimensions
Trine 3
Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate (JP)
Musou Stars (JP)
Disgaea 5 (JP)
Dragon Quest Builders (JP)

Rocket League
Hyper Light Drifter
Niddhogg 2
Shantae Half-Genie Hero
The Banner Saga 1/2
Stardew Valley
Owlboy
Undertale
Minecraft

Virtual Console titles (all the titles released on WiiU, plus GC games like Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Smash)

Then during launch window Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate (West release), Smash or Splatoon (the one that didn't release at launch), Zelda Breath of the Wild (June), and
Super Mario Maker and Monster Hunter Stories Ultimate (JP) in Summer, plus a second wave of 3rd parties (For Honor, Diablo 3, Tekken 7, Battlefield 1/Titanfall 2, Injustice, Sonic Mania).

I can see Fall picking steam up again with a new Animal Crossing (September), Pokémon Star (October), Retro's New IP (November), Monster Hunter Stories (November) and Mario&Rabbids RPG (December).

Seems like a pretty solid and realistic list for the most, scarce of 3rd party exclusives, but those (Bravely 3rd, MonHun5, Ace Attonery etc.) will start coming by japanese devs in 2018, while western studios will stick to release (or try to) their big games simultaneously with PS4/XBO.

Believe when I see it.

What do you mean? When will we ever see the fact that any PS4/XB1 game should be portable to the Switch? Most of them are unlikely to happen due to lack of audience/install base, so I don't think we will ever be able to get any definitive evidence of this fact.

Playing the "guess the launch and 2017 line-up" game:

Mario Switch
Pikmin 4 
Mario Kart 8 Switch 
Smash Bros Switch 
Project Giant Robot
Nintendo Land Switch

Watch_Dogs 2
Just Dance 2017
Fifa 17
NBA
Madden
Resident Evil 7
Marvel vs Capcom 3
World of Final Fantasy
Life is Strange
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
The Elder Scrolls Skyrim Remastered
Lego Star Wars / Marvel Super Heroes / Dimensions
Trine 3
Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate (JP)
Musou Stars (JP)
Disgaea 5 (JP)
Dragon Quest Builders (JP)

Rocket League
Hyper Light Drifter
Niddhogg 2
Shantae Half-Genie Hero
The Banner Saga 1/2
Stardew Valley
Owlboy
Undertale
Minecraft

Virtual Console titles (all the titles released on WiiU, plus GC games like Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Smash)

Then during launch window Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate (West release), Smash or Splatoon (the one that didn't release at launch), Zelda Breath of the Wild (June), and
Super Mario Maker and Monster Hunter Stories Ultimate (JP) in Summer, plus a second wave of 3rd parties (For Honor, Diablo 3, Tekken 7, Battlefield 1/Titanfall 2, Injustice, Sonic Mania).

I can see Fall picking steam up again with a new Animal Crossing (September), Pokémon Star (October), Retro's New IP (November), Monster Hunter Stories (November) and Mario&Rabbids RPG (December).

Seems like a pretty solid and realistic list for the most, scarce of 3rd party exclusives, but those (Bravely 3rd, MonHun5, Ace Attonery etc.) will start coming by japanese devs in 2018, while western studios will stick to release (or try to) their big games simultaneously with PS4/XBO.

Isn't the Mario Rabbids RPG rumored to be a launch title? Also you're missing Sonic 2017 and DQX and DQXI, all games confirmed to be coming.

And I really would not expect Project Giant Robot. At this point I bet that will be absorbed into a minigame collection.

Air

Banned
I think the really exciting thing about this console will be that there's going to be more new Nintendo ip, hopefully. In order to fill at least a game or two each month for the next few years, they're going to have to expand their output from just Mario, link and whatever else. I would expect a new ip each year or two.

"I don't like 'thing', so please keep it away so that other people who do enjoy it don't get to play it."

Do you see how ridiculous you sound? It's like some sort of defense mechanism against the possibility that yet another Nintendo system will be devoid of major third-party titles.

"Oh yeah? Well we didn't want them anyway!"

Christ.

Nah I just legitimately don't care. Rather them spend energy on original titles rather than the 11th system you can play something on. Wii U was great because it was different. I hope Switch is also different. I'm just very surprised the discussion is going in this direction again.

oti

Banned
So 'tons of ideas' = full-on sequel? Got it. See you on January 12.

Makes sense because we've seen bits of footage and main takeaway was new gear on top of old character animations. No reason to believe it's anything more than what it already is plus bunch of addons. Oh and, you know, that trusty insider information.

Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

First-party games and the pricing are going to have to sell the Switch. I don't think a spec article by Eurogamer before the proper unveil is going to sway many people one way or the other.

Nintendo framing this as a home console you can take on the go may foster negativity about the specs, though.
Yeah, I've mentioned it before. Seems like Nintendo wants to push that it's a console despite not really being one. Maybe to keep 3DS sales alive or that they don't want to make a Wii U successor.
I do see the appeal of marketing it as a console: better value proposition for the west, being able to charge more than $40 on games, but hopefully it doesn't bite them in the ass.
They have only said console, though, you'd think the people that aren't interested in Nintendo that are pretending to be upset would realize it.

Philippo

Isn't the Mario Rabbids RPG rumored to be a launch title?
Also you're missing Sonic 2017 and DQX and DQXI, all games confirmed to be coming.

And I really would not expect Project Giant Robot. At this point I bet that will be absorbed into a minigame collection.

Really? I completely missed that lol
And yeah, i forgot quite a lot of potential 3rd party games, i just stopped after a while otherwise the list would have been too long.
Anyway yeah, i listed Giant Robo but i'm expecting a small downloadable game, something easy to play in 2 or 4 players from the get go.

There won't be a Bravely Third. ;_;

Sshh, let's keep on hoping!

Zedark

Really? I completely missed that lol
And yeah, i forgot quite a lot of potential 3rd party games, i just stopped after a while otherwise the list would have been too long.
Anyway yeah, i listed Giant Robo but i'm expecting a small downloadable game, something easy to play in 2 or 4 players from the get go.

Sshh, let's keep on hoping!

According to Laura, it will be :

That's good to hear, thank you for sharing.

So assuming that's true, 2017 is basically going to be the test year for third parties on the Switch. I sure hope Nintendo goes all out growing the install base as quickly as possible to get those third party sales...

Galava

Do you guys think they will show Pokémon "Stars" will be shown at the event? Or maybe they delay the announcement/reveal for may/june?

LordKano

That's good to hear, thank you for sharing.

So assuming that's true, 2017 is basically going to be the test year for third parties on the Switch. I sure hope Nintendo goes all out growing the install base as quickly as possible to get those third party sales...

That's why their porting half of the Wii U library, in order to have as most people buying their console as possible.

You gonna trust me now that Zelda is a launch game?
Going against rumors is what gets people disappointed.
Don't expect it
I think Zelda would create the most noise but if Skyrim is there, would it be open-world overkill???
Then maybe Mario and Splatoon is a nice addition.
Keep in mind, I forget when Skyrim is expected.
The rumors are a bit weird pinning Splatoon and two Mario games at launch.
Splatoon, Mario, and Skyrim at launch would be a nice batch of variety. Zelda, if it's not ready for launch, can be a bit later. June is ideal if it can't

Does launch day itself really have to impress that much?

I'm much more keen that launch window and beyond has a steady trickle of great games without droughts. Besides, it'll be hard to want to play anything else on it with new 3D Mario and Splatoon on Day One.
Yeah. The weeks after launch are more important. Unless you have some killer app on launch, like Halo CE or SMW/64 tgat time is crucial. I'd rather have a staggered release to give games time to breathe and avvoid droughts.

It's nintendo. Anything they do will piss people off.

Sure, but if Zelda isn't actually a launch title then Nintendo will have earned it this time. Let's just look at their recent handling of it. Take the Jimmy Fallon appearance for example. No one was even expecting to see the Switch there. People were just expecting Reggie to show off Super Mario Run. But not only do the show the Switch, they had the first ever live demo of it. And what game do they choose? Zelda. And look at the recent campaign they started where they're releasing new images and art of Zelda up its launch. Both are notable because they were unnecessary. No one would've gave them shit for not live demoing Zelda on Fallon or not starting this launch screenshot campaign. That's something they did on their own, but it's also something that will make people start to think that they're going to be able to pick up Zelda when they purchase their Switch at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom