• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

Sigh... This was posted on Reddit from a GAME store:

BotW has an "out March" marking. So who the hell knows what's going on... GameStop had the same thing in their financial results briefing a few months ago.

This ride never ends.

Everything has it pointing to coming in March, outside of the rumors which said it "might" be delayed.

Even them releasing screens every day until launch points to March

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I dont understand this either. Clearly we will be playing games like Splatoon on Switch. So why wont a game like Overwatch work?

Im not tech savvy. So maybe there is a reason...but it seems like it shouldnt be an issue to me in theory?

it's no issue. Don't understand it either.

EDarkness

I think you summed it up nicely. There's 10's of millions of PS4s and XBOs out there that will be getting all the major third party games. Why would someone then go "Oh, I'll get it for the Switch......after I buy a Switch". Even if they have one already, if you're a console gamer you already like to sit and play games on your big TV. If you want to do that on Switch you will be getting a graphically inferior version of the game (Most likely). You'd then have to possibly deal with the small storage, or getting (possibly another)SD card for patches etc. There is almost ZERO compelling reason to get a Switch version over any other. Sure if you're mainly a Nintendo gamer and then want to play the odd AAA third party game Switch might be your main console but how many people are there like that? 10 million? It then starts to beg the question of "is it worth it?" for third parties, just like Wii and Wii U.

There are lots of reasons to get any version over another depending on what people want and what they game on mostly. This is assuming that people only game on the PS4 or Xbox One. If people get an NS and find out that it fits into their life better, then they'll get NS versions of games. Some people like certain ecosystems and would prefer to play their games there. For example, I have a PS4, yet I own three (maybe four) games for it. I just don't like paying for online play and if I can avoid that, then I do. Maybe others will feel the same.

If NS versions are fully supported, have all the features of the other versions, and are marketed the same as the others, then it'll be purchased like the others. Half-hearted port jobs won't get anywhere and that's the key.

Still, if people want the ability to take the game with them, then that's automatically a plus in favor of the NS version.

I dont understand this either. Clearly we will be playing games like Splatoon on Switch. So why wont a game like Overwatch work?

Im not tech savvy. So maybe there is a reason...but it seems like it shouldnt be an issue to me in theory?

Has anyone really voiced concern that Overwatch "won't work" on Switch? I thought our concensus was just that Blizzard might want to wait and see how the Switch sells. A game like that is pointless if no one is online.

Sandisk's 200GB are up to 90MB/s and their 256GB are up to 95GB/s.

And as far as the size difference... The 200GB probably has an older controller with extra provisioning if I had to guess.

I was talking about the filesystem, not the reader. Unless you're suggesting the 3DS reader could only read FAT32 or something.

Yeah exactly

Basically the Card Reader hardware it had was part of the reason why you had to format it to FAT32 to read SDHC cards above 32GB

At least that was my understanding. New readers support the newer spec but maybe Im not the best person to ask lol

Probably not happening but if Zelda and Mario are both out on launch....

I would say more like 100% not happening. It has to be one or the other.

I feel like there's just a better chance Mario makes launch in addition to one or two other first party games so the switch has a bit more variety on day one.

Zelda is the likely the most expensive and expansive Nintendo game of all time. They likely want that to have a clear path and date to push as many units as possible.

Neoxon

Has anyone really voiced concern that Overwatch "won't work" on Switch? I thought our concensus was just that Blizzard might want to wait and see how the Switch sells. A game like that is pointless if no one is online.
Laura implied that online-only games wouldn't work very well on the Switch.

How do we know that.
Everything we've heard from various leakers (namely Laura & Emily).

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How do we know that.

most rumours said it and the AC Adapter is international.

but other nintendo AC Adapters before have been international.

Laura implied that online-only games wouldn't work very well on the Switch.

I need an explanation why. I'm to stupid to think of a reason why an online-only game wouldn't work on the Switch. Because you could not play them on the go except for tethering with your phone? I mean there is DQX..

It was speculation on her part tho. From the moment we had a Splatoon game confirmed, we know there's shouldn't be much problem for online only games.

^okay, then I'll stop thinking about it if it was speculation on her part.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Cuningas de Häme;227410268 said:
Some leak reporters I think... So, if this is untrue, there might be other untrue software stuff too (dun dun dunnnn)...

HW stuff has been a-ok this far, but I always thought that all the SW stuff was very peculiar. How can one person get leaks from all over the place, Nintendo and Ubi and stuff?

I mean, that person has to have like Reggie as a source! Oh, but they hired the Bowser didn't they? And these big leaks have happened since then...

Something's not adding up, I'd even say that something smells fishy.
As far as I'm concerned, I don't believe Laura. She may know some stuff, but nothing related to Nintendo plannings/lineup.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't believe Laura. She may know some stuff, but nothing related to Nintendo plannings/lineup.

I certainly don't blame you. Product releases can always be moved around. If Zelda got moved up to March, it doesn't mean her sources were wrong for saying June. For all we know that could have been the plan at one point. That's why Nintendo hasn't announced anything official yet.

We should make avatar bets on Zelda's release date.
I'm on #TeamJune.

I dunno what that entails but sure! #TeamMarch

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Team March. Everything points to Zelda at launch besides the rumors coming from PAL land.

EDarkness

I think software is the hardest to pin down since it's a volatile space. A piece of software could be in full development today and canceled tomorrow. Going as planned today, but changing directions tomorrow. So I think that's one of the areas that these "leakers" can/will get wrong.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hmmm... even GameStop has ads for the Switch now and it shows Zelda.

C081maNWQAANqVO.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Mattmanver2/status/814928998283247621

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sigh... This was posted on Reddit from a GAME store:

BotW has an "out March" marking. So who the hell knows what's going on... GameStop had the same thing in their financial results briefing a few months ago.

This ride never ends.

That marking is made in GAME's colours and style, so I wouldn't take as official info yet. Let's wait for Nintendo's official marketing.

But red would not only fit the marketing so far, but make the big three red, green and blue cases. Which would look awesome in brick-and-mortar stores and on my shelves.

Didn't think about it from a marketing perspective, but you're right. At the end of the day, is a minor esthetic point that doesn't affect anything, i just hated the way the Wii case of NSMB looked, lol.

I think Builders will depend on how close Builders 2 is to release. Because it's definitely coming as was hinted by the producer and director at the Playstation Awards
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-builders-director-next-game-return-favor-good-game

Builders was released in January in Japan. For comparison, Heroes was released in February 2015 in Japan and they followed up with Heroes 2 in May 2016. So, if we see that type of turnaround with Builders 2, then they'll probably just wait for it. Especially since Builders 2 will almost certainly have multiplayer, something that the original lacked. That said, the original Builders is fucking awesome. My second favorite game of the year behind TLG.

Wasn't aware of the fast turnaround time between heroes and its sequel. I'm probably just gonna wait on what they say on the 12th and if there are no hints about it coming I'll probably just snag the ps4 version. And thanks for your impressions of the game! Just makes me wanna play it even more, haha.

That marking is made in GAME's colours and style, so I wouldn't take as official info yet. Let's wait for Nintendo's official marketing.

Of course it's not official, but it's very strange that they (and GameStop as of a couple months ago) would feel comfortable enough saying BotW is a March game when it has no official date and is rumored to be a June game.

Like, they may know that the June rumor is false perhaps. I don't really know. Just thought it was worth sharing seeing as its another source either assuming or claiming March.

Kjellson

I wonder if Switch will have smäller languages as system languages like PS4 and Xbox does. I hope so, but I wouldn't count on it and just expect the bigger ones such as English, Spanish and French.

jmizzal

It was speculation on her part tho. From the moment we had a Splatoon game confirmed, we know there's shouldn't be much problem for online only games.

This, how would she know, she havent played the Switch

Also online only games will work no different then games with online multiplayer, you play them when your under wifi or docked.

#TeamMarch because I feel there is too much advertasing for a game that will be release on summer and it could really hurt if they announced a delay,
I'm not sure mario could save the hype behind this zelda, it's not a "traditional" zelda and that's why everyone keeps their eyes on it.

EDarkness

I wonder if Switch will have smäller languages as system languages like PS4 and Xbox does. I hope so, but I wouldn't count on it and just expect the bigger ones such as English, Spanish and French.

I hope it allows for a lot more languages. No idea why I couldn't set my U.S. Wii U to Japanese, or my Japanese Wii U to English. If it's region free, then this will be a big issue.

oti

Banned
- new screenshots on a regular basis
- Nintendo tweets out Zelda art for the holidays
- a three-months calendar with Zelda art
- Fallon
- wonky rumour about sudden problems in QA and translation
- multiple ADS with Zelda saying release in March
- I said so

What else do you need?

- new screenshots on a regular basis
- Nintendo tweets out Zelda art for the holidays
- a three-months calendar with Zelda art
- multiple ADS with Zelda saying release in March

What else do you need?

But you also have the fact that it's only officially been a "2017" game even though Switch has a launch date, and leakers have said it will miss the launch. Both Laura and Emily IIRC.

It's a pretty balanced "for and against" list.

Nintendo of Europe has been working in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese and Russian for the last years. You can expect at least these for Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom