• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And anyway I have a PC for the multiplats I like, but again I would MUCH prefer them on a device like the Switch. It's literally the perfect device to suit my gaming habits.

Yup, it's gonna have all of nintendos output and a some third party exclusives. Got a PC for anything interesting that's not nintendo

oti

Banned
As stated before. The ADs are using default Press Kit material that has been available since October. They are not an indication one way or another if a title will be at launch or not.

Nintendo took its press kit material and made posters. nothing shocking

So what you're suggesting is that

- Nintendo ships retailers ads with Zelda
- but will announce in two weeks that the ads are practically lying and that Zelda won't be out at launch
- and expects the retailers to put stickers over dates/pictures of Zelda in said ads

Did I get this right? That's what you think happened here and that makes total sense to you?

LordKano

- but will announce in two weeks that the ads are practically lying and that Zelda won't be out on launch
- and expects the retailers to put stickers over dates/pictures of Zelda in said ads

Did I get this right? That's what you think happened here and that makes total sense to you?

Yo we're talking about a company that shipped a console that isn't a wii but is called a wii and that has a tablet which isn't really a tablet.
Of course that makes sense.

antonz

- but will announce in two weeks that the ads are practically lying and that Zelda won't be out on launch

I do not take a side on will it or will it not be a launch title. I am simply telling people to not get worked up over 3 month old press kit material. The "Zelda" on the images is Photoshop imposed imagery. Zelda is the only officially announced Switch title by Nintendo so the press material represents that.

I do not take a side on will it or will it not be a launch title. I am simply telling people to not get worked up over 3 month old press kit material. The "Zelda" on the images is Photoshop imposed imagery. Zelda is the only officially announced Switch title by Nintendo so the press material represents that.

The main thing that's odd that we're discussing is GAME literally putting up an ad for BotW Wii U with "Out March" on it.

Here:
xzx61laulq6y.jpg

oti

Banned

This would be "out there", even for Nintendo.

My theory would be that Nintendo uses Zelda as anchor point for their preview marketing (see Fallon and all the other stuff) and after the reveal they'll add Splatoon 2, Mario Kart and other additional promotional material to the retail displays.

We all know this makes perfect sense if it wasn't for that one rumour about QA and translation issues that came out of nowhere, was and still is a huge head scratcher especially with the idea that the new Mario, a game Nintendo apparently had problems with recording material for the Switch reveal trailer, is now a Switch launch game.

That sounds crazy.

Roo

- but will announce in two weeks that the ads are practically lying and that Zelda won't be out at launch

Someone said these ads have the same font GAME uses for their own stuff.

I don't think Nintendo sent any of those ads
This is more like GAME fucking up.

Net

What about the GameStop ads then? GAME and GameStop conspired to fuck up at the same time?
It's entirely possible that they both fucked up independently.

But if Zelda does make it to launch and Mario doesn't... Well, then there truly are no trustworthy insiders anymore.

tebunker

Banned
What about the GameStop ads then? GAME and GameStop conspired to fuck up at the same time?

No, Odds are Nintendo gave them a rough date/time frame, and shit has to be ordered months in advance, so it is easier/better to just print it up, if you have to slap a sticker on something you, but when you order huge print lots you just have to make a decision.

And guess what makes people preorder? A month even if it is wrong. It give folks an idea of when to expect something.

For what its worth, Amazon has March 31 2017 listed as the Zelda date, so it is clear Nintendo is trying to hit that date. Odds are they'll make an official announcement in about 14 days or so. Because it takes a couple months from Gold/Master to release.

Richie

The leakers have been spot on so far and yet every single marketing move is pointing toward Zelda at launch...and I have mixed feelings about that. Part of me is excited at the prospect of Zelda launching with the system...

...but another part of me is worried. Albeit not initially a fan of hearing it wouldn't come until Summer, the more time passed and I thought about it, the more Zelda's absence at launch not only made sense (Super Mario Run warming things up for Mario Switch), but was even beneficial. It may not be there day one, but if Zelda is not far away, the Switch will still enticing to a lot of prospective early customers, more so if Nintendo has a good launch line-up which they seem to be cooking up.

But my main interest, odd as it may seem, is that with Zelda not yet available, Skyrim Remastered is given a chance to sell, and to sell well. It's absolutely in Nintendo's best interests that 3rd parties do so, especially the Western AAA branch and even more so the likes of Bethesda who are bringing their top game to Nintendo for the first time.

Timeaisis

So why does everything think BotW isn't going to be a launch title now? I mean, I'm not saying it's definitely a launch title, but I don't see any evidence either way.

oti

Banned
Because of "insider info".
A lot of what they've said so far checks out so I wouldn't dismiss them like that.

Again, to me this rumour in particular makes no sense and the leakers break their own logic with it.

Remember how the leakers weren't sure if Mario would be in the Switch reveal trailer or whether or not I would be delayed because Mario didn't run well enough? And all of a sudden the next rumour says Mario is now a launch game? Forget all about the rumours about QA and localization problems for a moment. That speculation is just odd.

Timeaisis

Also, Nintendo never said anything beyond "2017" for BotW.

No, but I'm pretty sure they mentioned it was a launch title? Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not arguing that it's a sure thing for March, I just don't really see a lot of evidence either way. And it seems to me like everyone is automatically assuming it's not in March anymore.

Raet

No, but I'm pretty sure they mentioned it was a launch title? Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not arguing that it's a sure thing for March, I just don't really see a lot of evidence either way. And it seems to me like everyone is automatically assuming it's not in March anymore.
Yes, you are mistaken.

I'm not assuming it won't be a launch title. Even Laura admitted all of the exposure it's getting suggests it will be a launch title, despite her info suggesting the opposite. We just don't know.

DrownDown

Neo Member
What if BotW is coming out in March... for Wii U, followed by the Switch release in June? The GAME ad seems to be referring specifically to the Wii U, with the only mention of Switch being "also on Switch". That would make sense when you take into account the rumors and financial forecasts.

Raet

What if BotW is coming out in March... for Wii U, followed by the Switch release in June? The GAME ad seems to be referring specifically to the Wii U, with the only mention of Switchoice being "also on Switch". That would make sense when you take into account the rumors and financial forecasts.
Lol, that would never happen.

Nintendo even delayed Twilight Princess on the Gamecube (it came out a month earlier for the Wii) to give the Wii a head start.

Richie

What if BotW is coming out in March... for Wii U, followed by the Switch release in June? The GAME ad seems to be referring specifically to the Wii U, with the only mention of Switchoice being "also on Switch". That would make sense when you take into account the rumors and financial forecasts.

I sooner see Nintendo releasing a survival horror game starring the Ice Climbers than one of the Switch's killer apps months ahead on the Wii U.

What if BotW is coming out in March... for Wii U, followed by the Switch release in June? The GAME ad seems to be referring specifically to the Wii U, with the only mention of Switch being "also on Switch". That would make sense when you take into account the rumors and financial forecasts.

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't like TP and the Wii U version doesn't come after the switch one

DrownDown

Neo Member
Lol, that would never happen.

Nintendo even delayed Twilight Princess on the Gamecube (it came out a month earlier for the Wii) to give the Wii a head start.

Never say never when it comes to Nintendo lol. They also know diehards will buy it twice a la GTAV, so they might try to capitalize on that. Also, it's not like people are gonna run out and buy a Wii U for 299 just for BotW, when the Switch version is right around the corner. Truth is, none of us really know, it's all speculation.

At this point, if Zelda is anounced as a March release, I would place all the leaked information as "outdated" or "incomplete" category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom