• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamecube

latest

Launch: September 14th, 2001 (Japan) | November 18th, 2001 (US) | May 3rd, 2002 (EU)

Could you imagine the shit storm that would ensue if the Switch didn't launch in Europe until 8 Months after the Japanese launch? That would put it in November next year.

A smartphone app that's frequently trying to ping for other nearby devices running the same app by wi-fi? Is such a thing even feasible?

Personally as a rural guy I got all of one StreetPass from someone who wasn't friend or family in my first year or so with the 3DS before I gave up on it altogether.

I posted a possible solution to this previously.

I don't think it could communicate wirelessly with other phones like the 3DS does, but maybe it could send a GPS location and time log back to Nintendo servers and then match it with other people who were close to you at that time or something.

I also heard recently that increasing the storage of the game cards shouldn't be nearly as expensive as increasing the storage of something like an SD card. Apparently readable memory is much, much, cheaper than readable and writable memory, which is mostly what should be need for games storage. And if you think about the discs we have now that are just readable, should be good enough.

Here's that Thraktor chart I mentioned above:

Thanks. I've just looked over DS and 3DS game card sizes to try to find when each size was first used, although it's tricky to find reliable sources on these things, and I've updated the graph:

gamecardsizes2.png

For the trend line I've just used the size of launch games for each device, as I feel that's the most appropriate for our current discussion. (A game like Ni No Kuni releasing in 2010 probably wasn't pushing the boundaries of technology at the time, considering 2GB 3DS games arrived just two months later). I've also seen other claims that Ni No Kuni was actually a 256MB game card, and it seems Rub Rabbits was the first 128MB, so I honestly can't be 100% certain on anything other than the launch games anyway.

Here's the data, in case anyone has any corrections:

Code:
		Release		MB
Various		16/11/04	32
Meteos		10/03/05	64
Rub Rabbits	20/10/05	128
ASH		04/10/07	256
Ni no Kuni	09/12/10	512
SSF:IV		26/02/11	2048
RE:R		26/01/12	4096

Assuming that's even close to accurate game card sizes will not be a problem. They should surpass Blu-Rays in size and read speed very soon, at very similar costs.

Barryman

Don't know if I've posted this prediction on GAF so I might as well post it in this thread.

I wonder the Switch could use the video streaming tech from the WiiU to preserve the dual screen functionality that's been in the past decade or so of Nintendo games. Specifically, streaming a second screen to your phone or tablet.

This has been done before by Microsoft (and I believe Sony) but in a somewhat half-baked way. Dual screen gaming is a more Nintendo-native concept and it could conceivably re-use existing Nintendo technology.

If the Switch had this tech, it could also be used for "ultra-portable" streaming - keep your Switch in your backpack, and pull out your phone for some quick Switch gaming on the bus.

I'm sure there would be some complications to this - whether the Switch hardware have enough power to pump out a video stream, and whether the functionality muddies the already-portable feature set of the Switch. But I think it would be a neat bit of tech.

If the Switch had this tech, it could also be used for "ultra-portable" streaming - keep your Switch in your backpack, and pull out your phone for some quick Switch gaming on the bus.

I'm sure there would be some complications to this - whether the Switch hardware have enough power to pump out a video stream, and whether the functionality muddies the already-portable feature set of the Switch. But I think it would be a neat bit of tech.

That... would be very "Pimp my ride" of them. "Yo, we know you like taking your games on the go, so... we let you stream games from your Switch to your phone so you can play on the go while you're on the go."

Don't know if I've posted this prediction on GAF so I might as well post it in this thread.

I wonder the Switch could use the video streaming tech from the WiiU to preserve the dual screen functionality that's been in the past decade or so of Nintendo games. Specifically, streaming a second screen to your phone or tablet.

This has been done before by Microsoft (and I believe Sony) but in a somewhat half-baked way. Dual screen gaming is a more Nintendo-native concept and it could conceivably re-use existing Nintendo technology.

It's a cool idea but I'm pretty sure the technology Nintendo used in the Wii U was completely proprietary and would require specific hardware that phones don't have. If they figured out a way to do this reliably with existing technology it would be a neat thing to have though.

200GB microSD cards are around 60 to 70$ USD on Amazon. That's not too bad imo.

Does anyone know what the deal is with these 200Gb Micro SD cards? I've only seen them in two brands and the 256Gb cards are three times as expensive. Something just seems...off about that.

Oregano

Does anyone know what the deal is with these 200Gb Micro SD cards? I've only seen them in two brands and the 256Gb cards are three times as expensive. Something just seems...off about that.

They are legit. Sandisk is one of THE major brands and they have 200GB cards on their website.

They are legit. Sandisk is one of THE major brands and they have 200GB cards on their website.

Well it's good to know that they're legit, but what's the difference then? Why on earth are the 256Gb cards so much more? Was 200 just a failed experiment for them?

Oregano

Well it's good to know that they're legit, but what's the difference then? Why on earth are the 256Gb cards so much more? Was 200 just a failed experiment for them?

Not completely sure, I don't think the faster ones have a 200GB option so that might explain the difference.

Sigh... This was posted on Reddit from a GAME store:

BotW has an "out March" marking. So who the hell knows what's going on... GameStop had the same thing in their financial results briefing a few months ago.

This ride never ends.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Got no clue. Still trying to grasp how they can fit 200GB of memory into something that's the size of a thumbnail. I was thinking the same thing when 32GB cards came out.

Sigh... This was posted on Reddit from a GAME store:

BotW has an "out March" marking. So who the hell knows what's going on... GameStop had the same thing in their financial results briefing a few months ago.

This ride never ends.

Hm... If Zelda launches in March, do we think we'd also get a 3D Mario? If anything, the new Mario game is the one we've see the least of.

Not completely sure, I don't think the faster ones have a 200GB option so that might explain the difference.
Sandisk's 200GB are up to 90MB/s and their 256GB are up to 95GB/s.

And as far as the size difference... The 200GB probably has an older controller with extra provisioning if I had to guess.

It should be using the latest and greatest SD readers

standard should have shifted over
I was talking about the filesystem, not the reader. Unless you're suggesting the 3DS reader could only read FAT32 or something.

Hm... If Zelda launches in March, do we think we'd also get a 3D Mario? If anything, the new Mario game is the one we've see the least of.

I have no idea anymore. Sometimes I think it would be better if they launch with guns blazing, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon... Then other times I think they need to space them out better.

Who says Zelda won't launch in March? That seems so unlikely, it's the perfect launch title.

LKD has heard it's launching in June, and I think other sources have also heard it's missing the March launch. But then we see things like this, the Zelda pic of the week thing, the focus on Zelda in all the marketing... who knows.

Who says Zelda won't launch in March? That seems so unlikely, it's the perfect launch title.

Some leak reporters I think... So, if this is untrue, there might be other untrue software stuff too (dun dun dunnnn)...

HW stuff has been a-ok this far, but I always thought that all the SW stuff was very peculiar. How can one person get leaks from all over the place, Nintendo and Ubi and stuff?

I mean, that person has to have like Reggie as a source! Oh, but they hired the Bowser didn't they? And these big leaks have happened since then...

Something's not adding up, I'd even say that something smells fishy.

I don't understand the problem with overwatch on switch. If you're on a wifi network you get to play if you're not then you can't play. Just because it's a handheld that can be taken away from wifi shouldn't change anything. If I lose internet access in my home I don't blame overwatch for not being able to play.

AzaK

No, don't be like this.

If a consumer who is neither a Nintendo or a Sony fan, neither a Switch or a PS4 owner sees RDR2 and wants to buy it, which version will they buy?

If they care about the tech they'll get the PS4 version.
If they care about the Handheld they'll get the Switch version.

I just think that A) there are more people who care about the tech than people who care about the Handheld. Don't forget they have to care enough about video games to buy a new piece of hardware plus a game in order to play RDR2. Those are already big hurdles. And B) if they go to the store and see both versions side by side, seeing how the handheld market is shrinking in the West, my guess would be most care more about the graphical fidelity on the TV. And that's the PS4 version.

And of course price is the most important factor here but you can get a PS4 Slim for 200€. Switch will most likely be more expensive than that.

Now the real wildcard here would be if the Switch version looked almost indistinguishable to the PS4 version. That would be interesting to observe.

What you're saying about the Scorpio sales is jumping to extremes and that's just awful for every discussion. The differences between PS4/ Pro and Scorpio should be less obvious than PS4/ Pro and Switch.

I think you summed it up nicely. There's 10's of millions of PS4s and XBOs out there that will be getting all the major third party games. Why would someone then go "Oh, I'll get it for the Switch......after I buy a Switch". Even if they have one already, if you're a console gamer you already like to sit and play games on your big TV. If you want to do that on Switch you will be getting a graphically inferior version of the game (Most likely). You'd then have to possibly deal with the small storage, or getting (possibly another)SD card for patches etc. There is almost ZERO compelling reason to get a Switch version over any other. Sure if you're mainly a Nintendo gamer and then want to play the odd AAA third party game Switch might be your main console but how many people are there like that? 10 million? It then starts to beg the question of "is it worth it?" for third parties, just like Wii and Wii U.

I have no idea anymore. Sometimes I think it would be better if they launch with guns blazing, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon... Then other times I think they need to space them out better.

This is what i was thinking. Come out strong with the heavy hitters....but then how long of a wait would owners have for something new other than ports?

There is pros and cons for sure.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, even if they launched with Splatoon, Mario, and Zelda on day one, that still leaves:

Pikmin 4
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 8
Pokemon Stars
Unannounced new IP

I'm sure I'm missing something in terms of first party games, and there will definitely be smaller titles we don't know about in addition to third parties, but... that's a fairly solid lineup of "big" titles for the first year of a console's life.

I don't understand the problem with overwatch on switch. If you're on a wifi network you get to play if you're not then you can't play. Just because it's a handheld that can be taken away from wifi shouldn't change anything. If I lose internet access in my home I don't blame overwatch for not being able to play.

I dont understand this either. Clearly we will be playing games like Splatoon on Switch. So why wont a game like Overwatch work?

Im not tech savvy. So maybe there is a reason...but it seems like it shouldnt be an issue to me in theory?

J@hranimo

Banned
Someone brought this idea up to me:

Despite leakers, maybe Mario will be at launch and Zelda will be out shortly after, similar to Melee with the GameCube? (In NA at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom