• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

There are lots of reasons to get any version over another depending on what people want and what they game on mostly. This is assuming that people only game on the PS4 or Xbox One. If people get an NS and find out that it fits into their life better, then they'll get NS versions of games. Some people like certain ecosystems and would prefer to play their games there. For example, I have a PS4, yet I own three (maybe four) games for it. I just don't like paying for online play and if I can avoid that, then I do. Maybe others will feel the same.

If NS versions are fully supported, have all the features of the other versions, and are marketed the same as the others, then it'll be purchased like the others. Half-hearted port jobs won't get anywhere and that's the key.

Still, if people want the ability to take the game with them, then that's automatically a plus in favor of the NS version.

I'm not convinced that handheld AAA games is a huge market. Obviously I can be wrong but I can't see it. I also can't see many people being Switch only and the sort of people that love higher end graphics and the big AAA games. So yes, if it turns out that there's a massive market for a handheld console then sure those games might end up doing well but I think there's more points going against Switch for this demographic than going for it. Another issue is the chicken-and-egg problem. Publishers wait to see before committing their AAA games (This is likely given Nintendo's approach over the last decade or so), because the console doesn't have those games, few of those gamers buy it and what few AAA there are. Then publishers see sales of those games are low and then don't bother. I've said for a long time that if Nintendo want to get a decent part of that market then NINTENDO needs to put the effort it. They need to convince publishers and offer incentives to get the games on there, at least for the first year or two. Then after that they can see if there's really a market there for those games on Nintendo machines. Thing is, I tend to think Nintendo goes "fuck those guys, we're the best we'll do what we want and get some Japanese guys on our side and be OK"

AzaK

Didn't Laura Kate Dale say that the Mario game is, or nearly finished? If so then that will be the flagship title for launch if it's ready, not Zelda. Zelda will get delayed for a month or two at least, and if Nintendo have lined up a good number of other games for the rest of the year, Zelda could possibly be a Christmas title for 2017.

J@hranimo

Banned
I can't wait to see the fallout after its revealed that the Wii U version of BoTW has been cancelled.

I don't want to see that, because not everyone is able to get a new system with the game Day 1 and they'll probably feel extra burned that they had a console for 4 years with no exclusive Zelda.

NateDrake

Didn't Laura Kate Dale say that the Mario game is, or nearly finished? If so then that will be the flagship title for launch if it's ready, not Zelda. Zelda will get delayed for a month or two at least, and if Nintendo have lined up a good number of other games for the rest of the year, Zelda could possibly be a Christmas title for 2017.

At the latest, Zelda will be a summer release. Nintendo isn't shy when it comes to releasing a major title in August.

The leakers have been spot on so far and yet every single marketing move is pointing toward Zelda at launch...and I have mixed feelings about that. Part of me is excited at the prospect of Zelda launching with the system...

...but another part of me is worried. Albeit not initially a fan of hearing it wouldn't come until Summer, the more time passed and I thought about it, the more Zelda's absence at launch not only made sense (Super Mario Run warming things up for Mario Switch), but was even beneficial. It may not be there day one, but if Zelda is not far away, the Switch will still enticing to a lot of prospective early customers, more so if Nintendo has a good launch line-up which they seem to be cooking up.

But my main interest, odd as it may seem, is that with Zelda not yet available, Skyrim Remastered is given a chance to sell, and to sell well. It's absolutely in Nintendo's best interests that 3rd parties do so, especially the Western AAA branch and even more so the likes of Bethesda who are bringing their top game to Nintendo for the first time.

I'm with you! I actually want Zelda to be delayed exactly for this reason. I think Skyrim will sell well if it is the only open world game at launch. I really just want a decent selection of 3rd party games on my Nintendo system again...

Oersted

3D Mario was the whole time considered one of the launch titles

Charamiwa

Banned
With Obe1's attitude, and Laura being seemingly close to him, I must say this whole leaking scene is starting to feel a little uncomfortable. Can't wait for the 12th to get this over with.

uhmmm not a big fan of LKD lately. It's a cool leak, but I think her sources aren't as reliable as she thinks they are. She also does this whole pony show where she says she is not going to leak anymore and then proceeds to leak stuff. I don't want to overreach, but that doesn't appear very professional, I hoped she would stick to her guns.

Timing is weird since there's apparently two Mario games for launch and then MK8 shortly after. I do hope Zelda is June instead of Fall or whatever.

Gozert

I don't want to see that, because not everyone is able to get a new system with the game Day 1 and they'll probably feel extra burned that they had a console for 4 years with no exclusive Zelda.

Same here. I want to wait with buying a Switch until there are like five games that I want and enough to look forward to. The last time a Nintendo system had a good launch was with the GameCube in my opinion.

Not being able to play Breath of the Wild will make the waiting difficult though. :(

Platy

A friend is almost betting money that the Switch will be sold out till October because how Nintendo is handling amiibos and nes mini.

What do you guys think ?

Clessidor

Ah, ok.
Haven't been paying too much attention to his supposed 12 days of switchmas. I imagine it already started? Any reliable info?

Yes, it started around 2 Days ago. The first supposed Info is that Assassins Creed Empire is in development for Switch, which Laura said she heard the same. The second Info is about Switch VR being a thing Nintendo will talk about early it's life cycle. But we have nobody else claiming to have heard about Switch VR so far.
Also he claimed in a tweet that Laura begged up all his 12 infos, which was not true and he deleted it. So his reliability is very shady. Worthy to notice probably, but you would have to take them with a very big grain of salt.

Brofield

I'd double dip on Rocket League in a heartbeat.

I know Skyrim is pretty much a given, but what are the odds we'll see a port of The Witcher 3 complete? I'm tempted to grab it on PSN while it's on sale, but if I could get it portable I definitely would

Plum

A friend is almost betting money that the Switch will be sold out till October because how Nintendo is handling amiibos and nes mini.

What do you guys think ?

Those two are nowhere near a good comparison. It'd be like saying the PSVR and X1 Elite Controller shortages meant the PS4 and X1 were going to be hard to find. Different products require different levels of stock.

Roo

The soundtrack alone would make it worth checking out at the very least.
If true then I'm cautiously optimistic.

Oersted

What do you guys think ?

Not the same items at the same price point. Also I guess you are talking exlusively about the US market?

Yes, it started around 2 Days ago. The first supposed Info is that Assassins Creed Empire is in development for Switch, which Laura said she heard the same. The second Info is about Switch VR being a thing Nintendo will talk about early it's life cycle. But we have nobody else claiming to have heard about Switch VR so far.
Also he claimed in a tweet that Laura begged up all his 12 infos, which was not true and he deleted it. So his reliability is very shady. Worthy to notice probably, but you would have to take them with a very big grain of salt.
AC seems pretty likely and would likely be a safe bet. VR was in the patents so it's also a safe bet, though I don't think Nintendo will go through with it.
Seems like he's guessing or he has a source that's guessing/making things up

Isn't OBE1 the guy that lied about having a Switch to get attention?
Is he lying about Switch rumors to get more?

Nah, Etika did the Switch thing to play around with his viewers, as if he got Nintendo Ninja'd, which he loves joking about. I'm pretty sure he only made the thing for that parody trailer video of his, not to get attention. At least, that's what seemingly happened.

Still, OBE1 is apparently really tight with Etika, so I don't know what that says about either of them.

NateDrake

AC seems pretty likely and would likely be a safe bet. VR was in the patents so it's also a safe bet, though I don't think Nintendo will go through with it.
Seems like he's guessing or he has a source that's guessing/making things up

VR is an interesting topic for conversation. I'm sure Nintendo is/has been experimenting with VR to some extent, but I don't see Switch being a major VR platform - meaning I can't see something like RE7 VR hitting the device. If we are talking indie releases like Land's End or Gear VR type experiences, then I could understand the idea. Even the Google app for Wii U would be a cool VR experience.

Personally, I'd rather see Nintendo focus their efforts elsewhere and wait for VR to mature.

VR would be a cute buzzword to have when selling the device, but I don't think it'd actually be of any use until a theoretical Switch revision with a 1080p screen that runs in docked mode on the go.

VR is an interesting topic for conversation. I'm sure Nintendo is/has been experimenting with VR to some extent, but I don't see Switch being a major VR platform - meaning I can't see something like RE7 VR hitting the device. If we are talking indie releases like Land's End or Gear VR type experiences, then I could understand the idea. Even the Google app for Wii U would be a cool VR experience.

Personally, I'd rather see Nintendo focus their efforts elsewhere and wait for VR to mature.
Got some VR goggles for my phones and it works surprisingly well despite the complete lack of software.
I don't think a 720p screen would work well with this, but I guess we'll see

Speely

Banned

Agreed. Keep up on the R&D, let the Switch mature with more traditional games and find its market, and then once they iterate on the scalable architecture of the Tegra platform, perhaps then would be a good time to release a Switch with a screen and SoC that can support decent VR experiences.

I really feel like Ninty's research is mostly meant for the next iteration of the platform one way or the other.

Platy

Different situations.

It's more of a wait and see for me. They need Switch to succeed

Those two are nowhere near a good comparison. It'd be like saying the PSVR and X1 Elite Controller shortages meant the PS4 and X1 were going to be hard to find. Different products require different levels of stock.

Not the same items at the same price point. Also I guess you are talking exlusively about the US market?

Yes, USA market.

He mentions the Wii had shortages at launch for a long time but then again I doubt any other game will receive that amount of demand

EDarkness

Yes, USA market.

He mentions the Wii had shortages at launch for a long time but then again I doubt any other game will receive that amount of demand

Unless the NS is some sort of runaway success, I don't think finding one in October is going to be a problem. Though, I guess the narrative at that time will be "The NS isn't a success because they can easily be found on the shelves."

TLZ

Banned
- new screenshots on a regular basis
- Nintendo tweets out Zelda art for the holidays
- a three-months calendar with Zelda art
- Fallon
- wonky rumour about sudden problems in QA and translation
- multiple ADS with Zelda saying release in March
- I said so

What else do you need?

They need word from prophets Emily and Laura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom