• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gonna be funny to do comparisons between the Wii U ans Switch versions of Lego City Undercover.
Yeah. I don't remember it having many tech issues outside of loading screens, but hopefully it's a good comparison.
- new screenshots on a regular basis
- Nintendo tweets out Zelda art for the holidays
- a three-months calendar with Zelda art
- Fallon
- wonky rumour about sudden problems in QA and translation
- multiple ADS with Zelda saying release in March
- I said so

What else do you need?
It's the only Switch game Nintendo has officially confirmed (despite showing Mario, Splatoon, and MK8+)
It's a game that has already been revealed and showcase extensively...it's also basically the only announced game of note they have on the horizon
Do not expect it to come out on launch unless you want to be extra disappointed

TLZ

Banned
It's entirely possible that they both fucked up independently.

But if Zelda does make it to launch and Mario doesn't... Well, then there truly are no trustworthy insiders anymore.

It's not about trustworthy or not. You just have to remember they're not official Nintendo staff and take their leaks/rumors as just that. They try to bring us something and sometimes they're off the mark. Just be indifferent and wait. If their leaks were true then great and if not then oh well. Never take their word 100%. And of course stay away from the obvious bullshitters.

Neoxon

Didn't Laura Kate Dale say that the Mario game is, or nearly finished? If so then that will be the flagship title for launch if it's ready, not Zelda. Zelda will get delayed for a month or two at least, and if Nintendo have lined up a good number of other games for the rest of the year, Zelda could possibly be a Christmas title for 2017.
Laura said that Zelda is coming in June, at least for the UK. Pokémon Stars is likely gonna be their big holiday title, next year.

Speely

Banned
Laura said that Zelda is coming in June, at least for the UK. Pokémon Stars is likely gonna be their big holiday title, next year.

I feel like Stars for a holiday push works great. I also think they will have one other high-profile title leveraged against the Pokemon crowd there for the holidays, as well.

My guess is that's when we get the new Retro game. It's likely to be different enough to not self-compete and big enough to be viable.

EDarkness

I'm not convinced that handheld AAA games is a huge market. Obviously I can be wrong but I can't see it. I also can't see many people being Switch only and the sort of people that love higher end graphics and the big AAA games. So yes, if it turns out that there's a massive market for a handheld console then sure those games might end up doing well but I think there's more points going against Switch for this demographic than going for it. Another issue is the chicken-and-egg problem. Publishers wait to see before committing their AAA games (This is likely given Nintendo's approach over the last decade or so), because the console doesn't have those games, few of those gamers buy it and what few AAA there are. Then publishers see sales of those games are low and then don't bother. I've said for a long time that if Nintendo want to get a decent part of that market then NINTENDO needs to put the effort it. They need to convince publishers and offer incentives to get the games on there, at least for the first year or two. Then after that they can see if there's really a market there for those games on Nintendo machines. Thing is, I tend to think Nintendo goes "fuck those guys, we're the best we'll do what we want and get some Japanese guys on our side and be OK"

I don't think graphics are everything. Good ecosystem, good community, and a steady flow of games I feel like is most important. The NS doesn't have to win, it just has to be competitive and I think they can do that if they keep the positive buzz and get a steady flow of games people want to play.

I'll admit that I'm not sure how people are going to feel about taking their games with them via portable mode. For me, it doesn't matter as I would most likely never take my NS out of the house. So a good "console" experience is best for me and if there's no charge for online, then I'll go with the NS version provided everything else is equal.

As for the lovers of "high end graphics", those guys will gravitate to whatever provides them the best version, but I don't believe that's actually a big market. Sure, on these forums, performance and framerates tend to generate a lot of discussion, but I don't think this matters that much with the average gamer. They'll go with whatever version works for their chosen platform and if the word of mouth says it's a good game, then that's all the better. If I remember correctly, the Wii version of The Godfather outsold the PS3 one, back in the day. It really comes down to who's playing what and where. We don't have any idea who's going to be picking up NS consoles yet and what kind of games they'll be interested in playing. We also don't know much about the NS library, either.

I have no idea if the NS will succeed or not, but I think it's too early to really tell one way or another. The buzz for the system is pretty high, but we'll see how that translates into sales in March. Also, the event on the 12th of January will also give us an idea of what kind of "real" support the system is getting.

Neoxon

Laura didnt say Pokemon stars was gon be a holiday title
Not Laura, but Eurogamer. They said that it'd be a Fall release rather than a Summer release like initially planned (the delay was due to Game Freak diverting all efforts towards polishing Sun/Moon so it can be released in time for the holidays). I only said that Laura mentioned Zelda is (supposedly) coming in June.

oti

Banned
Yeah. I don't remember it having many tech issues outside of loading screens, but hopefully it's a good comparison.

It's the only Switch game Nintendo has officially confirmed (despite showing Mario, Splatoon, and MK8+)
It's a game that has already been revealed and showcase extensively...it's also basically the only announced game of note they have on the horizon
Do not expect it to come out on launch unless you want to be extra disappointed

This makes sense in a "we are on NeoGAF and talk about video games on a daily basis" way but not in a "this console is about to get released to the mainstream audience and it was shown on Fallon" way.

Why couldn't they just have used Mario artwork for the Switch up to now? Because it wasn't featured in a Nintendo Direct?

EDarkness

This makes sense in a "we are on NeoGAF and talk about video games on a daily basis" way but not in a "this console is about to get released to the mainstream audience and it was shown on Fallon" way.

Why couldn't they just have used Mario artwork for the Switch up to now? Because it wasn't featured in a Nintendo Direct?

No one knows why Nintendo does what they do. The only game we know that's coming out officially for the NS from Nintendo is Zelda. Makes sense to only so that for now. After the 12th, they would have laid their cards on the table and will show more stuff in these promotional materials.

oti

Banned
No one knows why Nintendo does what they do. The only game we know that's coming out officially for the NS from Nintendo is Zelda. Makes sense to only so that for now. After the 12th, they would have laid their cards on the table and will show more stuff in these promotional materials.

If what you're saying is right, if THE game everyone now associates with Switch thanks to maybe the best advertising opportunity television can offer, thanks to Nintendo repeatedly promoting it on different channels and in different ways, if that game doesn't come out at launch, that would be bad.

EDarkness

If what you're saying is right, if THE game everyone now associates with Switch thanks to maybe the best advertising opportunity television can offer, thanks to Nintendo repeatedly promoting it on different channels and in different ways, if that game doesn't come out at launch, that would be bad.

Maybe it would, but they had a whole E3 for just basically that game and it's STILL not out. I don't think it's gonna mean much if it doesn't come out day and date of the NS launch. As long as there are other games that people want to play, then it'll be fine.

I doubt I'll buy Zelda, so it doesn't matter to me personally if it's released launch day or not. I'm more interested in the other stuff coming...mostly from third parties. Players who want to play Zelda will either pick the system up when the game is released (launch day or not), or buy the system when it launches, play other games in the meantime, and wait for Zelda to be released to buy it.

Speely

Banned
Yeah, I came back to the thread this evening to it having grown to 1.5x the size it was when I went away from GAF during Christmas time, but nothing much seems to have happened, glancing through the pages.

There was a bunch of discussion about a LKD tweet and how people felt about that particular kind of tweet.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rabbids Go Home showed that they can work as a character. It would be wise to make the game Mario with Rabbids instead of the other way around, having Rabbids as the main antagonist could work really well as we haven't actually got that outside of a mini-game collection.
Rabbids Go Home was one of the highlight of my last gen. Game had so much character that made Mario look like a lab experiment.

m4st4

Imagine if they decided to release it anyway, with Day 1 patch and still broken? Switch would start its run followed by neverending clusterfuck of articles, you wouldn't see the end of it. Releasing one of your biggest games close to perfection is what they definitely should aim for and I'll be more than happy with Splatoon port, MK8 port and NEW 3D MARIO game in its first two-three months.

Neoxon

Imagine if they decided to release it anyway, with Day 1 patch and still broken? Switch would start its run followed by neverending clusterfuck of articles, you wouldn't see the end of it. Releasing one of your biggest games close to perfect is what they definitely should aim for and I'll be more than happy with Splatoon port, MK8 port and NEW 3D MARIO game in its first two-three months.
Technically speaking, BotW would be within the first 3 months of the Switch if it indeed comes out in June. That said, MK8's enhanced port would probably have to come out in either April or May to maintain a healthy distance from BotW (if it's coming in June).

m4st4

Technically speaking, BotW would be within the first 3 months of the Switch if it indeed comes out in June. That said, MK8's enhanced port would probably have to come out in either April or May to maintain a healthy distance from BotW (if it's coming in June).

Indeed. 3rd parties aside, I see the release window like this:

March: New 3D Mario, Splatoon port (packed in option)
April-May: Mario Kart 8 port
June: Zelda - BOTW
Animal Crossing, Pokemon, new Retro game... late summer/fall/holidays

That's a lot of ports from the system(s) I already own...

Pretty much.

I'm just hoping they aren't really ports and more like remixes or better. Like, Mario Kart has a reinvented Battlemode to make it worth it.

Also Smash Bros needs to have a lot added to it too. New events, challenges, characters, stages, better classic mode, maybe bring back board the platforms and stuff, etc.

Pretty much.

I'm just hoping they aren't really ports and more like remixes or better. Like, Mario Kart has a reinvented Battlemode to make it worth it.

Also Smash Bros needs to have a lot added to it too. New events, challenges, characters, stages, better classic mode, maybe bring back board the platforms and stuff, etc.
According to the rumors, it sounds like Kart and Splatoon will have more added to them than Smash.

Neoxon

Pretty much.

Smash 4 Switch's additions are supposedly gonna be more modest compared to Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon (according to Laura Kate Dale). Source Gaming is currently hearing only 2 additional characters & a bunch of 3DS content (& all of the DLC, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom