• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

Mario/Splatoon- launch

Mario Kart- May

Zelda- June

Xenoblade- July

Smash- September

Pokemon- November

Can someone tell why we are using this list instead of Emily Rogers' list?
Emily Rogers said:
@ArcadeGirl64 3D Mario + Zelda + Pokemon + Mario Kart + Splatoon + New IP + Retro Studios game + Pikmin 4...that's first 12 months of Switch

Edit: Or Laura's?
Cxs0XohXcAQypsX.jpg:large

Am I missing something? Isn't all of this unofficial? Why are people treating it like it's reality?

It's not just unofficial, it was made as a response to us guessing when some of the ports would be released. This list in no way is intended to be exhaustive from what I can tell. LKD's list is much better looking.

Because it looks bad and everybody thinks Nintendo is leaded by a bunch of idiots who believe that they dont need new software for their new system.

It's happened in the past, which is what worries people. No one (or extremely few people) in this thread is hating just to hate in here. We're all excited at the prospect of a new Nintendo console and want to see it go well.

It's happened in the past, which is what worries people. No one (or extremely few people) in this thread is hating just to hate in here.

People are not understanding the context of that list though. Look at Laura's list that Zedark posted above. That's much more indicative of what we know. The list you quoted was attempting to just place a few of the ports we know about, nothing more.

Phoenixus

Setting aside about £300 for my preorder, should net me the bigger sku, 128 micro sd and a couple launch games. Might up it to 350/400 depending on the lineup. :p

Neoxon

Damn wish zelda was a launch title, but June will come quick enough..
If it was, it would have cannibalized Skyrim (which is also said to be a launch title), which would have had adverse effects on the Switch's long-term third party support. That plus the game likely needs time for proper testing & whatnot.

As much as I would love for Zelda to be Day 1, I'm perfectly fine with it coming in June. At least we'd have the next 3D Mario to tide us over (since all signs point to it being Day 1 in Zelda's place).

Terrell

Why? They don't have the resources to work on Nintendo games in addition to the NASCAR titles.

It was Oregano, and the quoted text implies that Monster will never again work with Nintendo. "No longer working with Nintendo" is a huge leap from "not currently available to work with Nintendo".

Guys, the notion of Switch handling big video game VR in ANY SHAPE OR FORM is ludicrous. A VR viewer for new Pikmin shorts? Sure. But VR in a PS VR/Vive/Oculus sense? No.

I'm glad someone else gets it! It's really worrying to see how many people expect "VR" on Switch to be an attempt at PSVR-like games. We'll get Google Cardboard/Samsung Gear experiences with a Daydream-like controls via the joycon. That's it.

ultrazilla

What does everyone think will be Nintendo's "online strategy" for the Nintendo Switch?

Will they follow Sony and MS and now charge for multiplayer/online? What would Nintendo have to offer you to "buy in" on the service? Free games like MS and Sony do every month along with discounted prices on select games for members? Does Nintendo stay the course and continue to *NOT* charge for online services/multiplayer?

Personally, I think if Nintendo is going to remain free for online/multiplayer, it should be a HUGE marketing point for them. Thoughts?

Neoxon

What does everyone think will be Nintendo's "online strategy" for the Nintendo Switch?

Will they follow Sony and MS and now charge for multiplayer/online? What would Nintendo have to offer you to "buy in" on the service? Free games like MS and Sony do every month along with discounted prices on select games for members? Does Nintendo stay the course and continue to *NOT* charge for online services/multiplayer?

Personally, I think if Nintendo is going to remain free for online/multiplayer, it should be a HUGE marketing point for them. Thoughts?
As mentioned before, Nintendo doesn't really have the third party support to justify making us pay for online.

18-Volt

I would expect a few 3rd Party announcements at the January event too.
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite!

I don't think so. First party game announcements including VC alone could take more 2 hours to reveal, there might be no time for third party announcements. And this is happening in Japan.

They have a multiyear deal to develop Nascar games and are like twenty people in total. Source: Common Sense

That doesn't mean that they're not making games for Nintendo. They have never made games for Nintendo solely by themselves, Nintendo always have assisted them. They have twenty people? They can hire more if Nintendo gives more money.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Figuring Amazon will be safe to preorder from? My only other real choice I think is Game, and lord knows I'm not touching there with a barge pole.

Shiggy

It was Oregano, and the quoted text implies that Monster will never again work with Nintendo. "No longer working with Nintendo" is a huge leap from "not currently available to work with Nintendo".

For the foreseeable future they won't be working together though.

Shiggy

Do people buy these Nascar games though ? I don't know if it's a really safe deal for the future to work on these games.

Hard to tell for me as a European. Sounds like an extreme niche. But with Monster, a very small studio, handling this, it seems like a low budget/risk effort. At the same time, they really like the ranching, and probably prefer it over just doing more ports.

Akki

I think its easy to predict the launch lineup:

Launch games:

1 big AAA IP -> Mario switch or Zelda BOTW
1 Wii U Port -> Splatoon or Mario Kart
1 experimental game -> the rumored crazy new IP

Launch window (3 months):

1 big AAA IP -> Mario switch or Zelda BOTW, I expect Zelda to launch at the end of May similiar to Mario Kart 8 2014 and Splatoon 2015.
1 Wii U port -> once more Splatoon or Mario Kart, Nintendo will definitively spread their Wii U ports
1 filler title -> probably Pikmin 4

August - holiday season:

Xenoblade X could be an August title
Retro´s game is a wildcard, should be ready in 2017, maybe holiday 2017, announced at E3 2017
Pokemon Stars is going to be their big holiday title, no doubts
Smash should be holiday 2017 aswell but it´s going to be a meaty upgrade and have 6-8 new playable characters
Next Level Games worked on a Wii U game according to insiders. This is a switch title now.
2-3 more games from EPD and 2nd party partners in 2017.

Doubt they will port Mario Maker once more. I´m betting on Mario Maker 2 in late 2018.

3rd party exclusives at launch/launch window:

Mario Rabbid crossover
MH XX switch (Japan), 6 months later in the west
One more

Neoxon

I think its easy to predict the launch lineup:

Launch games:

1 big AAA IP -> Mario switch or Zelda BOTW
1 Wii U Port -> Splatoon or Mario Kart
1 experimental game -> the rumored crazy new IP

Launch window (3 months):

1 big AAA IP -> Mario switch or Zelda BOTW, I expect Zelda to launch at the end of May similiar to Mario Kart 8 2014 and Splatoon 2015.
1 Wii U port -> once more Splatoon or Mario Kart, Nintendo will definitively spread their Wii U ports
1 filler title -> probably Pikmin 4

August - holiday season:

Xenoblade X could be an August title
Retro´s game is a wildcard, should be ready in 2017, maybe holiday 2017, announced at E3 2017
Pokemon Stars is going to be their big holiday title, no doubts
Smash should be holiday 2017 aswell but it´s going to be a meaty upgrade and have 6-8 new playable characters
Next Level Games worked on a Wii U game according to insiders. This is a switch title now.
2-3 more games from EPD and 2nd party partners in 2017.

Doubt they will port Mario Maker once more. I´m betting on Mario Maker 2 in late 2018.

3rd party exclusives at launch/launch window:

Mario Rabbid crossover
MH XX switch (Japan), 6 months later in the west
One more
  • Laura Kate Dale kinda already said that Smash 4 Switch's upgrades are gonna be more minimal than Mario Kart 8's upgrades, with Source Gaming hearing of 2 additional characters & a bunch of 3DS content for Smash 4 Switch from their sources.
  • As for Super Mario Maker. Laura Kate Dale did indeed hear about it getting ported to the Switch within the first year, hence it being on her list from not too long ago.
  • There's also the fact that Emily Rogers, Laura Kate Dale, & Eurogamer all heard that Super Mario Switch is gonna be at launch, with Zelda coming later (Laura heard June).
  • Splatoon, at least according to Laura, is gonna be the only Wii U port at launch, bundled with the Deluxe version, while Mario Kart 8's port will supposedly be out within the first 3 months.

I'm wondering what people here think would be the absolute most monstrous bombshell announcement Nintendo could make at the Switch event (short of going third party of course)?

Some thoughts of mine-

• Exclusive RDR2 trailer
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Mother 4
  • TES VI announced
  • Exclusive FROM game (Nintendo's own Bloodborne)
  • Switch has a 1440p screen, VR built in
  • SCD for 4k rendering available day 1

NOTE: I'm not asking at all for realistic predictions, just asking what people think would be by far the biggest announcements they could possibly make. EDIT: Somewhat reasonable announcements haha, no time travel allowed.

EDIT2: Things that are within the realm of possibility within the gaming industry, but not limited to things we think are likely. Meaning, Rockstar support doesn't seem likely but a RDR2 exclusive trailer is within the realm of possibility. Things like that. Aliens and time travel need to stay in games, people.

Shiggy

Alright, as long as they adjust the price. Ordered.

That's what they say on the product page.

I'm wondering what people here think would be the absolute most monstrous bombshell announcement Nintendo could make at the Switch event (short of going third party of course)?

Some thoughts of mine-
Exclusive RDR2 trailer
Metroid Prime 4
Mother 4
TES VI announced
Exclusive FROM game (Nintendo's own Bloodborne)
Switch has a 1440p screen, VR built in
SCD for 4k rendering available day 1

- Switch being free
- Switch comes with all VC games pre-installed
- Switch has 500TB of internal memory
- all Rockstar and EA games exclusive to Switch
- uncharted 4 port
- Switch screen can be transformed into a big TV screen by rubbing it
- Switch enables time travel

Neoxon

As mentioned before, I'm of the impression that, aside from Retro & Monolith's new projects as well as Nintendo's mystery new IP that Emily Rogers mentioned, most of the January 12th presentation was already leaked from a first party games perspective. I really want to be surprised (aside from the 3 games mentioned), but I feel like I won't be.

Oregano

As mentioned before, I'm of the impression that, aside from Retro & Monolith's new projects as well as Nintendo's mystery new IP that Emily Rogers mentioned, most of the January 12th presentation was already leaked.

No third party support confirmed.

Josh5890

• Laura Kate Dale kinda already said that Smash 4 Switch's upgrades are gonna be more minimal than Mario Kart 8's upgrades, with Source Gaming hearing of 2 additional characters & a bunch of 3DS content for Smash 4 Switch from their sources.
  • As for Super Mario Maker. Laura Kate Dale did indeed hear about it getting ported to the Switch within the first year, hence it being on her list from not too long ago.
  • There's also the fact that Emily Rogers, Laura Kate Dale, & Eurogamer all heard that Super Mario Switch is gonna be at launch, with Zelda coming later (Laura heard June).
  • Splatoon, at least according to Laura, is gonna be the only Wii U port at launch, bundled with the Deluxe version, while Mario Kart 8's port will supposedly be out within the first 3 months.
Well we wil, see who is right in 12 days.

Zedark

As mentioned before, I'm of the impression that, aside from Retro & Monolith's new projects as well as Nintendo's mystery new IP that Emily Rogers mentioned, most of the January 12th presentation was already leaked.

Could be, somewhere I kinda hope it, so that I can once again read investors saying that 'there was not enough news that wasn't leaked before'. Pure gold, those comments.

Seriously though, I think the lineup that has been leaked by Laura combined with two extra surprises would be a great show and lineup for Nintendo. You can't want them to have dozens of titles available from strictly first party. I hope they have some great Japanese third party games to show off as well, though. Western third party is a bit more neither here nor there for me.

Edit: ah, you are talking about first party stuff. That would definitely be a reasonable assumption in my eyes.

Shahadan

NOTE: I'm not asking at all for realistic predictions, just asking what people think would be by far the biggest announcements they could possibly make.

Oh then, they announce that aliens are real, they work at nintendo, and Switch can transform into your own personal spaceship, you can now visit the universe for 250€, it is portable for that reason, pre-order now, your god was a lie

I don't think they could do more tbqh.

Neoxon

Well we wil, see who is right in 12 days.
We shall. Though the 3 leakers mentioned (Eurogamer, Laura Kate Dale, & Emily Rogers) have pretty solid track records as far as Switch info goes, so going against them now is kind of setting yourself up for disappointment. Source Gaming, while I respect them as a news site, it kinda iffy on their sources due to how unproven they are as of this post (& Laura's definition of "minimal" depends on what she sees as major upgrades & what upgrades MK8 has in store as a metric of comparison).

Josh5890

Some thoughts of mine-

• Exclusive RDR2 trailer
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Mother 4
  • TES VI announced

NOTE: I'm not asking at all for realistic predictions, just asking what people think would be by far the biggest announcements they could possibly make.

RDR2 and MvC Infinite announced as coming the same day as their PS4/X1 versions.

Oregano

Some thoughts of mine-

• Exclusive RDR2 trailer
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Mother 4
  • TES VI announced

FFXVI would be pretty big(and also not happening). I think it would be pretty big if FFVIIR and KH3 were coming to Switch though.

I forgot to mention "from a first party games perspective", which I've since added. That said, I'm not expecting a ton of major western third party support for the Switch.

Even with that we only about like... five third party games at most. There's a ton to announce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom