• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixus

I'm wondering what people here think would be the absolute most monstrous bombshell announcement Nintendo could make at the Switch event (short of going third party of course)?

Some thoughts of mine-

• Exclusive RDR2 trailer
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Mother 4
  • TES VI announced
  • Exclusive FROM game (Nintendo's own Bloodborne)
  • Switch has a 1440p screen, VR built in
  • SCD for 4k rendering available day 1

NOTE: I'm not asking at all for realistic predictions, just asking what people think would be by far the biggest announcements they could possibly make. EDIT: Somewhat reasonable announcements haha, no time travel allowed.

Switch will play every game ever made and every game that will ever be made.

Neoxon

RDR2 and MvC Infinite announced as coming the same day as their PS4/X1 versions.
MvCI could possibly make it (though I doubt it, namely so I won't set myself up for disappointment), but I doubt that we'll see RDR2 (at least based on what Laura said about Rockstar & Nintendo's rocky relationship, if that was based on what she's heard about said relationship from her sources).

Oh then, they announce that aliens are real, they work at nintendo, and Switch can transform into your own personal spaceship, you can now visit the universe for 250€, it is portable for that reason, pre-order now, your god was a lie

I don't think they could do more tbqh.

They could totally do more- Switch being free would help ensure more people get to visit the rest of the universe.

Anyway I meant things that are within the realm of possibility in the gaming industry, but not necessarily restricted to things that we would think are likely (like Rockstar support).

Akki

• Laura Kate Dale kinda already said that Smash 4 Switch's upgrades are gonna be more minimal than Mario Kart 8's upgrades, with Source Gaming hearing of 2 additional characters & a bunch of 3DS content for Smash 4 Switch from their sources.
  • As for Super Mario Maker. Laura Kate Dale did indeed hear about it getting ported to the Switch within the first year, hence it being on her list from not too long ago.
  • There's also the fact that Emily Rogers, Laura Kate Dale, & Eurogamer all heard that Super Mario Switch is gonna be at launch, with Zelda coming later (Laura heard June).
  • Splatoon, at least according to Laura, is gonna be the only Wii U port at launch, bundled with the Deluxe version, while Mario Kart 8's port will supposedly be out within the first 3 months.

Well I don´t believe their Smash information at all. It makes no sense to release the same Wii U game 3 years later. I don´t think there will be Smash 5, but Nintendo wants to keep their service model and sell a ton of DLC. That´s why they need the biggest audience possible and therefore need to give casual gamers reasons to buy the new game again. This is only possible if they include new content and new charaters.

I´m stil skeptical on the Zelda rumors. Remember Emily´s Zelda E3 rumors, which turned out to be completly wrong? But just a few months later she has new sources which know exactly why the game is delayed.

Zedark

I'm wondering what people here think would be the absolute most monstrous bombshell announcement Nintendo could make at the Switch event (short of going third party of course)?

Some thoughts of mine-

• Exclusive RDR2 trailer
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Mother 4
  • TES VI announced

NOTE: I'm not asking at all for realistic predictions, just asking what people think would be by far the biggest announcements they could possibly make. EDIT: Somewhat reasonable announcements haha, no time travel allowed.

TES VI would be the bombshell of bombshells for me. That said, I'd probably get it on the PS5 rather than the Switch (or maybe on both), so I feel dubious about selecting that one. An exclusive FROM Software would probably be the best way to get a decent portion of hardcore gamers to flock to your system, so I would pick that one as the greatest bombshell to further their own plans.

Josh5890

MvCI could possibly make it (though I doubt it, namely so I won't set myself up for disappointment), but I doubt that we'll see RDR2 (at least based on what Laura said about Rockstar & Nintendo's rocky relationship, if that was based on what she's heard about said relationship from her sources).

Yea but its not like Rockstar hasn't published anything for Nintendo in the last 15 years. I'm not closing the door completely but I agree that it isn't very likely.

Neoxon

Well I don´t believe their Smash information at all. It makes no sense to release the same Wii U game 3 years later. I don´t think there will be Smash 5, but Nintendo wants to keep their service model and sell a ton of DLC. That´s why they need the biggest audience possible and therefore need to give casual gamers reasons to buy the new game again. This is only possible if they include new content and new charaters.

I´m stil skeptical on the Zelda rumors. Remember Emily´s Zelda E3 rumors, which turned out to be completly wrong? But just a few months later she has new sources which know exactly why the game is delayed.
In the case of Zelda's delay, she has both Eurogamer & Laura Kate Dale backing her up (plus a female playable character was originally planned for BotW, & voice acting in BotW did turn out to be true.....at least for major character), with Laura giving a specific time-frame of June.

As for Smash 4 Switch, Smash 4 already has a ton of content, & they may be focusing on bringing over the 3DS content.

Roo

Hope Laura is wrong and they have more characters for Smash. Only 2 and HD versions of 3DS stages sounds like a lazy job, even for a port.

Some thoughts of mine-

• Exclusive RDR2 trailer
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Mother 4
  • TES VI announced

EDIT2: Things that are within the realm of possibility within the gaming industry, but not limited to things we think are likely. Meaning, Rockstar support doesn't seem likely but a RDR2 exclusive trailer is within the realm of possibility. Things like that. Aliens and time travel need to stay in games, people.

For me a huge announcement would be a sensibly priced subscription service that gives access to all Virtual Console games.

Neoxon

Hope Laura is wrong and they have more characters for Smash. Only 2 and HD versions of 3DS stages sounds like a lazy job, even for a port.
Source Gaming were the ones who said 2 additional characters & a bunch of 3DS content, not Laura. All Laura said recently was that MK8's updates were extensive & Smash 4's updates were minimal. It really all depends on what Laura sees as "minimal" & "extensive", though NateDrake did say 16 new tracks.

TES VI would be the bombshell of bombshells for me. That said, I'd probably get it on the PS5 rather than the Switch (or maybe on both), so I feel dubious about selecting that one. An exclusive FROM Software would probably be the best way to get a decent portion of hardcore gamers to flock to your system, so I would pick that one as the greatest bombshell to further their own plans.

I'm not sure about a FROM game actually... Didn't Bloodborne still sell pretty poorly? Relatively poorly anyway? It would be a good perception move more than a sales move. TESVI though would be enormous.

In the case of Zelda's delay, she has both Eurogamer & Laura Kate Dale backing her up (plus a female playable character was originally planned for BotW, & voice acting in BotW did turn out to be true.....at least for major character), with Laura giving a specific time-frame of June.

As for Smash 4 Switch, Smash 4 already has a ton of content, & they may be focusing on bringing over the 3DS content.

I think we're relying too much on (especially) LKD's leaks when a huge amount of them have yet to actually be confirmed, no matter how likely they seem. It's a bit of an echo chamber when we discuss them as there's really no way to confirm anything before Nintendo officially announces anything, like Mario Switch, Smash Switch... Rabbids x Mario even- we have absolutely nothing official pointing to that, and no matter how likely it seems based on leaks we still shouldn't take it as confirmed.

Oregano

Yea but its not like Rockstar hasn't published anything for Nintendo in the last 15 years. I'm not closing the door completely but I agree that it isn't very likely.

Chinatown Wars is only 8 years old.

Bethesda hasn't published anything for Nintendo is like 25 years.

Source Gaming were the ones who said 2 additional characters & a bunch of 3DS content, not Laura. All Laura said recently was that MK8's updates were extensive & Smash 4's updates were minimal. It really all depends on what Laura sees as "minimal" & "extensive", though NateDrake did say 16 new tracks.

Woah - seriously?!

I missed this. Megaton.

Zedark

I'm not sure about a FROM game actually... Didn't Bloodborne still sell pretty poorly? Relatively poorly anyway? It would be a good perception move more than a sales move. TESVI though would be enormous.

It depends on what you think is a good amount of sales, but Bloodborne sold 2 million as of September 2015, which is pretty decent in my opinion, definitely for a Souls-like game. Positive perception will definitely be received from this move, but I do think you will get a smathering of people (even if only a couple of 100k), which would be a nice, secondary get.

EDarkness

That's not true. They published Wheelspin and Star Trek Conquest on the Wii. Heh, heh. Nothing of note, but they have published games on a Nintendo platform in the last 10 years.

Oregano

That's not true. They published Wheelspin and Star Trek Conquest on the Wii. Heh, heh. Nothing of note, but they have published games on a Nintendo platform in the last 10 years.

Oh that's true. They published some knight minigame collection as well IIRC. It's that they haven't developed anything for Nintendo in a long time.

EDIT: I must have made up that minigame collection... But they did publish a Ducati game on DS.

EDarkness

Oh that's true. They published some knight minivans collection as well IIRC. It's that they haven't developed anything for Nintendo in a long time.

Looking at their publishing list, I notice that they don't develop a lot of games in general. Mostly publishing other company's games. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just something I never really noticed until now.

I'm sad. My vacation just ended. But Switch is right around the corner. I'll be paying attention a lot more now and catching up on all the rumors these next few days.

MacTag

Banned

Bethesda's definitely worse historically but it hasn't been quite that long.

Rockstar
Monster Truck Madness 64 (N64, 1999)
Grand Theft Auto (GBC, 1999)
Earthworm Jim 3D (N64, 1999)
Evil Knievel (GBC, 1999)
Austin Powers: Welcome to my Underground Lair! (GBC, 2000)
Austin Powers: Oh, Behave! (GBC, 2000)
Grand Theft Auto 2 (GBC, 2000)
Smuggler's Run: Warzones (GC, 2002)
Max Payne (GBA, 2003)
Grand Theft Auto Advance (GBA, 2004)
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis (Wii, 2007)
Manhunt 2 (Wii, 2007)
Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii, 2008)
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS, 2009)
Wild Metal (N64, canceled)
Duke Nukem Forever (GC, canceled)

Bethesda
Wayne Gretzky Hockey (1991, NES)
Home Alone (1991, NES)
Where's Waldo? (1991, NES)
The Terminator (1992, NES)
Star Trek: Tactical Assault (2006, DS)
AMF Bowling Pinbusters! (2007, Wii)
Star Trek: Conquest (2007, Wii)
AMF Bowling World Lanes (2007, Wii)
Ducati Moto (2008, DS)
Wheelspin (2009, Wii)

Oregano

Looking at their publishing list, I notice that they don't develop a lot of games in general. Mostly publishing other company's games. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just something I never really noticed until now.

You totally quoted my messed up autocorrect version

On a related note does the Bethesda label include other Zenimax studios? If so maybe Mikami's new game is one of the Switch games they've got in the pipeline(considering they did say/imply they have multiple).

MacTag

Banned
You totally quoted my messed up autocorrect version

On a related note does the Bethesda label include other Zenimax studios? If so maybe Mikami's new game is one of the Switch games they've got in the pipeline(considering they did say/imply they have multiple).
The Bethesda Softworks label is Zenimax's publishing brand. They're the same thing.

Bethesda Game Studios is the Elder Scrolls and Fallout developer while Zenimax Online Studios is the Elder Scrolls Online developer.

Oregano

The Bethesda Games label is Zenimax's publishing brand. They're the same thing.

Bethesda Softworks is the Elder Scrolls and Fallout developer.

Cool, I wasn't quite sure if stuff like Doom and Wolfenstein were published under the iD label.

It'll be interesting to see what else they've got.

MacTag

Banned
Cool, I wasn't quite sure if stuff like Doom and Wolfenstein were published under the iD label.

It'll be interesting to see what else they've got.
Caught me pre-edit but I had the names backwards, Softworks is the publisher while Games is the developer. But yes they publish all id's stuff as well as Tango (Mikami's studio).

EDarkness

That's a good question. Hmmm...

For me it would be:

• Red Dead 2 with Gyro/IR shooting.
  • Exclusive Fromsoft "Souls" type game.
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Kingdom Hearts Collection (1-2 + spin offs)
  • Final Fantasy VII: Remake
  • Persona 5
  • A new Sakaguchi RPG (like Last Story 2)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NS Exclusive)
  • Beyond Good & Evil 2 (NS Exclusive)
  • Devil May Cry Collection (1-4)
  • PSO 2

These are some of the big ones for me. Though, I wouldn't personally buy the Souls game, but I know lots of people would be happy with that.

AzaK

I don't think graphics are everything. Good ecosystem, good community, and a steady flow of games I feel like is most important. The NS doesn't have to win, it just has to be competitive and I think they can do that if they keep the positive buzz and get a steady flow of games people want to play.

I'll admit that I'm not sure how people are going to feel about taking their games with them via portable mode. For me, it doesn't matter as I would most likely never take my NS out of the house. So a good "console" experience is best for me and if there's no charge for online, then I'll go with the NS version provided everything else is equal.

As for the lovers of "high end graphics", those guys will gravitate to whatever provides them the best version, but I don't believe that's actually a big market. Sure, on these forums, performance and framerates tend to generate a lot of discussion, but I don't think this matters that much with the average gamer. They'll go with whatever version works for their chosen platform and if the word of mouth says it's a good game, then that's all the better. If I remember correctly, the Wii version of The Godfather outsold the PS3 one, back in the day. It really comes down to who's playing what and where. We don't have any idea who's going to be picking up NS consoles yet and what kind of games they'll be interested in playing. We also don't know much about the NS library, either.

I have no idea if the NS will succeed or not, but I think it's too early to really tell one way or another. The buzz for the system is pretty high, but we'll see how that translates into sales in March. Also, the event on the 12th of January will also give us an idea of what kind of "real" support the system is getting.

This I agree with, we don't know what Nintendo has in store. However I'm just going on past history w.r.t. their AAA third party content. Nintendo obviously didn't try and pay for Western AAA games to come to their platform when the publishers saw how bad Wii U was. Nintendo just started to re-release old games, make as much as they could themselves and get Japanese publishers to help them. I feel the Nintendo considers Western publishers as lepers, someone who is lower than low. For this reason AAA will exist on the platform if the publishers do it all themselves and the past would indicate that if they do this, they'll get nowhere.

I could see Switch being a Nintendo + casual machine. As in the average non/minor gamer getting it to play their Madden or Fifa, along with Just Dance etc. That's fine for Nintendo, but not for me.

Well we have under 2 weeks to wait now, it will certainly be interesting and I hope I'm wrong.

Happy New Year!

Roo

Same rumors, different source.. it still feels like a lazy job

EDarkness

I feel the Nintendo considers Western publishers as lepers, someone who is lower than low. For this reason AAA will exist on the platform if the publishers do it all themselves and the past would indicate that if they do this, they'll get nowhere.

I don't think this is true. Having worked at Nintendo for a little bit many years ago during the GC days, I'd say that the main issue comes from not being able to relate to what those guys want. People who work at Nintendo discuss the same things we do...this notion of Kiddie vs. "core" (this was especially true during the GC days). They want to play those games on their Nintendo system. However, I think what's important to them is different than what's important to western developers. But the people inside are definitely "core" gamers...at least from my dealings with them in the last couple of years.

Perhaps this is changing...at least I hope it is, because I'm in the same boat as you. I want more western support and more varied experiences. I have no need for a Nintendo only box with some indies. There has to be more than that for me. That's what I'm personally looking at going into the event on the 12th. If they can't convince me that they're going in a direction that includes me, then I definitely won't be picking up or developing on an NS.

That said, I'm pretty hopeful and fairly positive right now.

Xiao Hu

I would be really shocked if Nintendo announced a series of collaborations with independent Western studios or them expanding studio wise in NA/Europe. Like 'here is our studio that has been working on a Geist reboot/a proper Metroid bounty hunter game akin to former Prey 2/whatever genre is Nintendo doesn't cover'.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
1vyFIOL.gif

Less than two weeks, and Happy New Year to everyone! :)

How likely are the following to receive Wii U ----> Switch ports?

Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
DK Tropical Freeze
Zelda Windwaker/Twillight Princess HD
Super Mario 3D World
New Luigi U/ Mario U

Basically those titles in particular are why I'm holding onto the U, since Smash, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Mario Maker are all supposed to port over.

Neoxon

If they include all 3ds content and wii u content, I wouldn't call that lazy.

They could release more fighters as dlc down the line perhaps.
I'm not sure if they'd do more DLC. I mean, it's entirely possible, but Sakurai may want to move on to his next project as soon as possible (if he's even involved with the Smash 4 port at all).

oti

Banned
What if Mario Kart doesn't get a single new track for the enhanced port but a new battle mode, a new character and of course both DLC included?

Enough? Not enough?

EDarkness

What if Mario Kart doesn't get a single new track for the enhanced port but a new battle mode, a new character and of course both DLC included?

Enough? Not enough?

Not enough for me to jump in again. Works great on the Wii U, so no need to pick it up if all they added is a new character and battle mode. I have all of the DLC, too.

Neoxon

Enough? Not enough?
Laura heard that MK8's updates would be extensive & NateDrake specifically heard 16 new tracks, so I wouldn't worry.

That being said, it wouldn't be enough for me, as I already have all of the DLC.

Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
DK Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
New Luigi U/ Mario U

Basically those titles in particular are why I'm holding onto the U, since Smash, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Mario Maker are all supposed to port over.

I'd say Bayonetta 2.

oti

Banned
Laura heard that MK8's updates would be extensive & NateDrake specifically heard 16 new tracks, so I wouldn't worry.

That being said, it wouldn't be enough for me, as I already have all of the DLC.

Just a thought experiment. It would surprise me greatly if there weren't new tracks but maybe Nintendo thinks "most of these guys didn't own a Wii U, that's enough tracks for a Mario Kart game". And they're not wrong but still iffy. For me it would still be enough though. I could play Mario Kart 8 forever.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So who's gonna make a thread about this to start the shitshow?

http://gametransfers.com/direct-por...ssible-according-to-former-ubisoft-developer/

Sebastian Aaltonen, former senior rendering lead at Ubisoft and co-founder of Second Order LTD, wrote on the Beyond 3D forum that direct ports from the current consoles to Nintendo Switch may not be possible.

“Around 50% of modern game engine frame time goes to running compute shaders (lighting, post processing, AA, AO, reflections, etc). Maxwell’s tiled rasterizer has zero impact on compute shaders. 25.6 GB/s is pretty low as everybody knows that 68 GB/s of Xbox One isn’t that great either. ESRAM is needed to reach good performance. But I am talking about the POV of down porting current gen games to Switch. Switch certainly fares well against last gen consoles, and Maxwell’s tiled rasterizer would certainly help older pixel + vertex shader based renderers. Too bad last gen consoles already got their last big AAA releases year ago. Easy ports between Xbox 360 and Switch are not available anymore. Xbox One is a significantly faster hardware. Straightforward code port is not possible. Content also needs to be simplified,” Sebastian Aaltonen explained.

Neoxon

Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
DK Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
New Luigi U/ Mario U

Don't forget Xenoblade X.

Though to answer your question, Tropical Freeze is most likely to get ported of the ones you mentioned (followed by Bayonetta 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom