• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the LKD rumors, I still find BG&E2 VERY hard to believe.

I think it made sense when the rumors first came out. And then Ancel started doing interviews and saying things that just seemed odd. He said that development halted in 2009, and then Yves asked him if he wanted to continue working on it in 2013. And they've been working on it ever since. But he also said that they'll need at least another 3-4 years to complete it.

So, if it is exclusive then it seems like it would be done because UBI doesn't want to foot the entire bill for a near 10y development project. Especially since what Ancel has described isn't going to be cheap by any means. It sounds really expensive. Also notable is that he said that he fears that if Vivendi takes over UBI then the project might be killed.

I see a remaster happening, but it would likely still have alternative controls. Be it touch or motion.
I feel the game and its controls are pretty good, but they could be tuned a bit

Jet Set has never been on Nintendo and it's not a series with a future which seems to be something Sakurai considers

Poor GBA installment. And poor franchise - Nintendo systems are probably better fits than PlayStation, Xbox or PC, but the series didn't survive long enough for that to happen. Would loooooove a Switch game, but I don't know if Sega could make a successful game out of that franchise.

Speely

Banned
Poor GBA installment. And poor franchise - Nintendo systems are probably better fits than PlayStation, Xbox or PC, but the series didn't survive long enough for that to happen. Would loooooove a Switch game, but I don't know if Sega could make a successful game out of that franchise.

You're probably right, which is a shame. So fun and so much charm.

NAMCO REP: Capcom has two reps, as does Sega. Why wouldn't Namco, who co-developed Smash 4 get an additional rep? Most likely, this would be a Tekken character, probably Heihachi. If I'm not mistaken, he was considered for DLC anyway. Regardless, this Namco rep would bring a stage along.

I don't really think a Tekken character would be all that exciting, especially since we already have Ryu.

Capcom has two characters because Mega Man and Ryu are both big and deserving icons in their own right. With SEGA, Sonic also fulfills that category, but Bayonetta mainly got in because of the ballot. I guess you could justify a Tekken character considering it's the highest selling fighting game series ever but I don't think people would lose their shit over Heihachi in the same way they would with somebody like Mega Man or Cloud. I don't think Namco needs another character for the sake of it.

Plum

could they add her? she's lesbian (as far as the comic is showing...) and nintendo is quite...special with those topics..

What evidence is there for this that isn't that whole Tomodachi Life thing which really wasn't an official policy/management viewpoint on the subject?

Oersted

We were talking Big meltdowns or something like that. Bayonetta 2 had lots of threads with big trucks of salt and tears,and that was a niche title that was saved from the trash can to be exclusive on Wii U.

If FROM were to make an exclusive game on Switch it will raise quite a few eyebrows,but as SONY has them for a few more games fans might not buy a Switch to play the latest Soul like game and instead complain for a port (maybe,it could be different this time o_O)

This remains weird and really relevant. I can see meltdowns, mind you, but not the relavancy of them.

Neoxon

"Minimal additions to Smash" eh? Let's assume the Switch version contains every stage from both the 3DS and Wii U versions and all the DLC. To bring in double- and triple-dippers, Nintendo surely knows they'll need to add some new characters. So, let's assume they add 6 characters. Why 6? Because it's only one less than the DLC character count. Let's logically figure out who they might be:

INKLINGS: Seems far too obvious to me that Nintendo would want to harness the popularity of Splatoon, especially in Japan. After all, Splatoon was one of only four first-party games shown in the Switch teaser, so Nintendo probably realizes how important the IP could be to them. Gameplay wise, they ooze the creativity that Mr. Sakurai loves so dearly; even a simplification of Splatoon's deep ink mechanics would still make for a truly unique fighter! The costumes would work like Villager, half boy, half girl in various colors. The Inklings would bring a Splatoon stage with them; perhaps Inkopolis?

ICE CLIMBERS: A highly requested veteran that missed out on the 3DS/U games due to technical limitations. Why not show off Switch's increased power by bringing back the duo?

NAMCO REP: Capcom has two reps, as does Sega. Why wouldn't Namco, who co-developed Smash 4 get an additional rep? Most likely, this would be a Tekken character, probably Heihachi. If I'm not mistaken, he was considered for DLC anyway. Regardless, this Namco rep would bring a stage along.

RHYTHM HEAVEN: A series icon for Rhythm Heaven was datamined shortly after the final DLC characters' release. Presumably, if the Gematsu leak was indeed legitimate but outdated, a character was in consideration at one point. If this were to happen, I would personally expect Karate Joe, as he is one of very few characters that have appeared in each of the four Rhythm Heaven games. This rep would bring Rhythm Heaven itself as a stage.

KING K ROOL: Given the massive rally for his appearance as DLC, and the subsequent, conspicuously timed Mii Costume, one can only assume that Nintendo is aware of his popularity. Provided that he did indeed catch Nintendo's eye, he would be a solid addition. Mr. Sakurai would surely see quite a lot of room for a creative move set in K. Rool's history. He would bring Gangplank Galleon as a stage.

RIDLEY: The showstopper. The big bombshell. The sheer shock factor of Mr. Sakurai changing his mind on Ridley would hype up many, many fans. Ridley would not require a stage, but the Pyrosphere boss would not spawn if Ridley is fighting.

What do you folks think? Shoot some suggestions! Try the 6 character format!
But if I recall correctly, Source Gaming heard that only 2 characters will be added. While 6 would be awesome, I'm not sure if that counts as minimal (though that depends on Laura's definition of minimal within the context of Smash 4). But if by some miracle there's 6 additional characters, I'm gonna guess...
  • Ice Climbers
  • Wolf
  • Inkling
  • King K. Rool
  • Chorus Kids or some other Rhythm Heaven rep
  • Decidueye
If Source Gaming is on the money & it's just 2, I'm gonna go with Ice Climbers & the Inklings.

Also, the Wii U could handle the Ice Climbers. It was the 3DS's technical limitations & Sakurai's commitment to roster parity between both versions that screwed the Ice Climbers over.

oti

Banned
Out of all the LKD rumors, I still find BG&E2 VERY hard to believe.
I wouldn't expect that to come out on Switch at all, tbh.
Of games Nintendo could maybe try and get I think some Konami IP like Castlevania or something. Don't see Konami making much after MGS Survive fails

But it makes total sense.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 has no right to exist. The first one bombed, only a very small, very vocal group of players ask for a sequel. How do you greenlight such a project? You ask for collaborations. Sony says nah, we're good. Microsoft laughs their asses off. Nintendo looks at it and says yes, for multiple reasons.

One, they want to maintain the good relationship they have with Ubsioft. Think about it, Ubisoft and Nintendo are so different and yet they share common values. BG&E features a photographer who lives with talking animals and her father is a pig. That's the kind of quirky that Nintendo appreciates. It's not cool, it's not suited for PS4 or Xbox, but it makes sense on Switch.
Two, Nintendo needs more "street cred" by the folks who don't buy Nintendo hardware just because of Nintendo games. Again, BG&E doesn't do much for all the Dudebros out there but I'm sure a lot of people played the first one on PS2 and have fond memories of it. Maybe they buy a Switch for the sequel.
Three, Nintendo wants to show the industry they are ready to strike these kind of deals, even if the IPs aren't the biggest money makers, as long as the developers deliver quality.

I know about the comments Ancel made but people jump to the conclusion that they need the best hardware out there. That doesn't make any sense. This game that will hardly sell gets the most demanding hardware and all the resources you have to put in there to use the hardware? No way. It should work fine on Switch.

Some people might cry here on GAF when it turns out to really be Switch exclusive but they don't matter. BG&E is niche niche niche.

How about Okami 2 by Kamiya and Platinum as the megaton salty exclusive?

I mean it makes a lot of sense (especially if the touch/IR rumors are true) and the art style fits Nintendo perfectly.

Peléo;227472000 said:
Thanks for the answer.

Not particularly excited about Switch on VR, but I might change in the future. I'm glad it ie at least receiving some support.

Well he also claimed they were having a hard time porting it to the Switch VR and wasnt working well. Plus there is the fact Sony has exclusive rights to RE7 VR apparently.

So take this with a grain of salt. I dont see RE7 VR happening on NS.

Just want to drop in and say Happy New Year! I start feeling the hype as new year starts.

I mean it makes a lot of sense (especially if the touch/IR rumors are true) and the art style fits Nintendo perfectly.

If it is revealed to be an exclusive Switch title, the announcement thread will be nuts. Crazier than Bayo 2.

RHYTHM HEAVEN: A series icon for Rhythm Heaven was datamined shortly after the final DLC characters' release. Presumably, if the Gematsu leak was indeed legitimate but outdated, a character was in consideration at one point. If this were to happen, I would personally expect Karate Joe, as he is one of very few characters that have appeared in each of the four Rhythm Heaven games. This rep would bring Rhythm Heaven itself as a stage.
If a Rhythm Heaven character gets in, I don't necessarily need it to be the Chorus Kids, but I would definitely prefer a "music" themed character, rather than characters like Karate Joe, the Wrestler, etc. There is no main character for the series, so they can choose pretty much anyone (or even have multiple characters in one) and a music themed character would represent the series best IMO, especially if the character has a unique rhythm mechanic. Having a martial arts character represent a rhythm game, especially when the quintessential martial arts character (Ryu) is in the game already? Eh. I understand the argument for using Karate Joe, I just think the Chorus Kids or Rhythm Girl would be more unique/fitting.

-Horizon-

Can't believe we're under 2 weeks away now. I still don't think VR is a thing for the switch. It just doesn't make sense to shove it in.

Don't make me want things that will never happen ;~;

Given Okamiden was a DS exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if Okami 2 was Switch exclusive if it ever happened.

MAtgS

I don't really think a Tekken character would be all that exciting, especially since we already have Ryu.

Capcom has two characters because Mega Man and Ryu are both big and deserving icons in their own right. With SEGA, Sonic also fulfills that category, but Bayonetta mainly got in because of the ballot. I guess you could justify a Tekken character considering it's the highest selling fighting game series ever but I don't think people would lose their shit over Heihachi in the same way they would with somebody like Mega Man or Cloud. I don't think Namco needs another character for the sake of it.

In my mind there's only 1 logical choice for the 2nd Namco-Bandai Rep:

Agumon_b.jpg

Namco's developed both SSB4 & Pokken & somehow neither game has a digimon guest fighter in it. We're this close to making to making Pokemon vs. Digimon a thing & yet it somehow doesn't come up.

Shiggy

In my mind there's only 1 logical choice for the 2nd Namco-Bandai Rep:

Agumon_b.jpg

Namco's developed both SSB4 & Pokken & somehow neither game has a digimon guest fighter in it. We're this close to making to making Pokemon vs. Digimon a thing & yet it somehow doesn't come up.

Maybe because nobody remembers Digimon anymore.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
But if I recall correctly, Source Gaming heard that only 2 characters will be added. While 6 would be awesome, I'm not sure if that counts as minimal (though that depends on Laura's definition of minimal within the context of Smash 4). But if by some miracle there's 6 additional characters, I'm gonna guess...
  • Ice Climbers
  • Wolf
  • Inkling
  • King K. Rool
  • Chorus Kids or some other Rhythm Heaven rep
  • Decidueye
If Source Gaming is on the money & it's just 2, I'm gonna go with Ice Climbers & the Inklings.

Also, the Wii U could handle the Ice Climbers. It was the 3DS's technical limitations & Sakurai's commitment to roster parity between both versions that screwed the Ice Climbers over.

Yeah, I would agree with the list and KKR being Ballot choice. I'm not giving up my hope for Snake even he have like 0.001% chance.

I understand it's just a rumor but yeah, it's probably for best if we just keep our expectation low for this time. It's plausible we could get more.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This isn't even a good fake.

C1DXCy9VEAIF5Xm.jpg:large

Logo over the system like that?
No age rating?
Reflection NOT upside down?

0/10

Josh5890

Yeah, I would agree with the list and KKR being Ballot choice. I'm not giving up my hope for Snake even he have like 0.001% chance.

I understand it's just a rumor but yeah, it's probably for best if we just keep our expectation low for this time. It's plausible we could get more.

After getting Cloud as a playable character, I'll believe anything

shingi70

Banned
You guys think Ever Oasis might get ported to the Siwtch. Seems like an interesting game and fit seems a shame to let a new ip not get shine on the new console.

18-Volt

I'm tired of people asking Ridley, K. Rool, Inklings for Smash. They're in the game people, just not as playable. Ask instead characters from series that are not even represented in Smash.

My wishlist:
- Isaac (Golden Sun)
- Isa Jo (Sin&Punishment)
- Ray Mk 3 (Custom Robo)
- Mike Jones (StarTropics)

and two third party representations:
- Banjo Kazooie
- Simon Belmont

I think it will, yeah. I also think that new Mario Sports compilation will be ported as well.

That's not how you "keep 3DS alive until some time into 2018". 3DS games will remain on 3DS. That includes Monster Hunter XX.

18-Volt

Wasn't Isaac in Brawl as a support?

Golden Sun wasn't represented in latest game, for some reason. I think it's inexcusable, as Golden Sun was the greatest RPG Nintendo have ever funded. Yes even better than Earthbound, which we're still yet to see third game of the series, whose protagonist is already a Smash 4 fighter.

That's not how you "keep 3DS alive until some time into 2018". 3DS games will remain on 3DS. That includes Monster Hunter XX.

I don't really think Nintendo cares where you play their games, as long as you play them on one of their devices. It's one of the reasons why Pokemon will receive a Switch port.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm tired of people asking Ridley, K. Rool, Inklings for Smash. They're in the game people, just not as playable. Ask instead characters from series that are not even represented in Smash.

Splatoon hasn't properly represented in Smash Bros. Inkling is one of most popular character that aren't playable character in Smash Bros. It would be a weird move if they didn't even bother to include Splatoon character in Smash Bros.

This became a Smash tread ��

I have no problem with it if it's just for temporary. ;P

Neoxon

My wishlist:
- Isaac (Golden Sun)
- Isa Jo (Sin&Punishment)
- Ray Mk 3 (Custom Robo)
- Mike Jones (StarTropics)

and two third party representations:
- Banjo Kazooie
- Simon Belmont

The problem is that Splatoon is Nintendo's biggest new franchise right now & lacks a proper playable character.

18-Volt

I don't really think Nintendo cares where you play their games, as long as you play them on one of their devices. It's one of the reasons why Pokemon will receive a Switch port.

Oh, I think they do. I'm one of those who believe Nintendo will release a separate handheld other than Switch in the future. Their 3DS lineup for 2017 pretty stacked, and they're doing this just to keep 3DS alive until the successor arrives. Otherwise them being also on 3DS won't do them good, they'd need every single Switch exclusive.

Plus, Pokémon probably won't be a mere "port", it's supposed to be third version. I won't be surprised if some serious dramatic additions comes with the game. Like, huge post game content.

Splatoon hasn't properly represented in Smash Bros. Inkling is one of most popular character that aren't playable character in Smash Bros. It would be a weird move if they didn't even bother to include Splatoon character in Smash Bros.

I really don't think this Smash port will be the only Smash game on Switch. There probably will be a true successor, where Inklings might be more than just Mii costumes. But from sounds of it, this Smash up-port just a simple port. I don't even expect 6 new characters, we'd be lucky if we get just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom