• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't necessarily make it fake. It could mean Nintendo is lazy which isn't really a surprising thing =P

It doesn't in a verifiable way, no. But in a "I've been playing Nintendo games for decades and have developed some intuition" way, it's a sloppy fake

The artwork isn't even well balanced--why is Lakitu covering the busiest part of the cover? If they really wanted Lakitu in the top-left, they could have left the artwork unflipped

And add to this that no one besides the Reddit OP has even seen the image, and he did it on a throwaway...

I can't be the only one who is excited by this? This is the first time the big 3 all have their own unique colored boxes, no?

vSBgrQR.jpg

isA1zkj.jpg

9c1fd9i.jpg

It doesn't say "new"
Like someone said earlier, it'd could be the 16 DLC tracks from the Wii U + 8 new.
That's barely a sequel.

Huh?

OB4N24x.jpg

Unless you meant specially the 24 tracks. I'd argue even 8 new tracks is a big deal, when taken with everythign else. Plus there's the dual-item mechanic we've seen, which isn't even hinted at. And I never suggested it would be a sequel

I'll bet you anything this is fake

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It doesn't in a verifiable way, no. But in a "I've been playing Nintendo games for decades and have developed some intuition" way, it's a sloppy fake

The artwork isn't even well balanced--why is Lakitu covering the busiest part of the cover? If they really wanted Lakitu in the top-left, they could have left the artwork unflipped

And add to this that no one besides the Reddit OP has even seen the image, and he did it on a throwaway...
oh I'm not saying I disagree with you. I was just looking for some well thought out reasoning to keep me from getting hyped over nothing.

Zalman

Those boxes are likely fake, but I do love the look of them. I hope they actually go through with red cases.

The bigger news to me is that CoroCoro says BOTW is coming out in Spring... I think that might leave out June.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that GameXplain did that news update video about the CoroCoro BotW release date being "Spring 2017" and presented it as if it clarified something. But after skimming this thread, I was reminded that spring runs from late March to late June...which basically encompasses all the release dates being tossed around. In fact, if Switch launches when LKD is saying it will, then a "spring" date would rule out it launching with the system, since March 17 is prior to spring beginning.

If Nintendo has Mario at launch, along with Rabbids and a new IP, and follows that with a few expanded Wii U ports, I don't think a June launch for BotW would be a problem. At worst, a few people buy the system a few months later than they might have (like some did with 3DS and OoT 3D).

Those boxes are likely fake, but I do love the look of them. I hope they actually go through with red cases.

The bigger news to me is that CoroCoro says BOTW is coming out in Spring... I think that might leave out June.

Not if we're being technical. Spring is March 20 through June 20.

Zalman

Wait, uhm, are we sure that CoroCoro scan is real? It's only January 2nd. CoroCoro doesn't usually leak that early.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
From my Googling that I posted earlier, late May seems to be considered the end of Spring in Japan

Wait, different countries have different definitions of when the seasons are? I thought it was scientifically determined based on the solstices and equinoxes... Unless you're just talking about cultural ideas of the seasons, which I could see varying and probably differs form the scientific calendar (I'd say spring is culturally March-May in the US).

Yukinari

I fully believe the Mario Kart 8 picture. Nintendo and the team have clearly heard the battle mode complaints and they definitely had enough time since the last DLC pack to add more tracks and characters. (Even if its only 8 new tracks)

Pasedo

So I just upgraded my PC graphics card instead of buying a Ps4 Pro or Xbone Slim which I was also tossing up whether to buy. Decided that PC plus Switch is going to be the perfect gaming combination. I commute alot and stay at dual places so I have PC for third party and fast paced games and Switch for awesome portable gaming. Year is already looking great :)

For what little it's worth, I (and I presume others) heard privately from someone extremely reliable a while back that the MK8 port would include a new battle mode, and "about" 16 new tracks and 8 new drivers, on top of all the Wii U content and all DLC. I'm sure at least a few other users have heard the same thing.

That being the case, 24 new tracks and 10 new drivers is actually a bit more than I had been led to expect. I'm inclined to believe it, personally, but that's just a gut feeling. It makes sense if you believe that some Switch launch titles have had some extra time in the oven with its delayed launch.

EDIT: To be clear, if this is real (and I believe it is), that number of new tracks and drivers more than likely does not include the MK8 DLC.

Richie

Not gonna lie, I'd be taken by surprise if they actually name it Mario Kart 8 instead of Mario Kart Switch; but hey, what's in a name? All that new content would be spectacular, ESPECIALLY the revamped battle mode. So in.

Shiggy

Not gonna lie, I'd be taken by surprise if they actually name it Mario Kart 8 instead of Mario Kart Switch; but hey, what's in a name? All that new content would be spectacular, ESPECIALLY the revamped battle mode. So in.

With 16 new courses and a new battle mode, one could argue that it's actually a new Mario Kart.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I want them to add a single player mode worth a damn. Is that really too much to ask? This series is long overdue a non shitty single player component.

Why not? Because the mechanics are too similar? Because it also includes all MK8 content?

Exactly. Every Mario Kart has been rebuilt from the ground up as a new experience--even the Retro tracks are completely rebuilt. This game, based on the short gameplay and rumors, is MK8+

And I think calling it Mario Kart 9, for instance, would be deceiving

Shiggy

Exactly. Every Mario Kart has been rebuilt from the ground up as a new experience--even the Retro tracks are more than just ports. This game, based on the short gameplay and rumors, is MK8+

Calling it Mario Kart 9, for instance, would be deceiving

Actually, now that you say it, it's extremely hard to go from one MK game to another because the mechanics are relatively different.

Actually, now that you say it, it's extremely hard to go from one MK game to another because the mechanics are relatively different.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising how different most of the games feel from each other. I think MK7 and MK8 might be the closest since SNES to Super Circuit (though even that had MK64 between them)

Shiggy

Yeah, it's pretty surprising how different most of the games feel from each other. I think MK7 and MK8 might be the closest since SNES to Super Circuit (though even that had MK64 between them)

I am much more excited for MK Switch than Zelda. With the lack of a Wii U in my household, there was a multiplayer game missing. Thankfully this will change soon, even though apparently not at launch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I want them to add a single player mode worth a damn. Is that really too much to ask? This series is long overdue a non shitty single player component.

How do you feel about MK DS's Mission Mode? Because I'd personally be satisfied with the return of that.

Zalman

I get the feeling they won't call it Mario Kart 8 again. Maybe Mario Kart for Nintendo Switch, because they love doing that.

EDIT: Liam Robertson is calling it fake. He says the numbers are wrong, as is the name. But he's also calling it fanart, which seems like an odd claim. I'm curious how this will unfold as more people wake up and see this. The fact that he calls it "fanart" is really weird to me.

Liam is probably in on the "16 new tracks, 8 new drivers" number several of us had heard. So I still expect that at a minimum.

Shiggy

Point of order, 24 new courses and 10 new drivers and a new battle mode.

Either way, the amount of content in this "MK8+" is going to be STAGGERING. 72 tracks and 46 characters total, if all is to be believed? And with a proper battle mode? That's genuinely absurd. Mario Kart 9 is going to have some big shoes to fill after this, whenever it does come.

There's no indication for that. Reliable sources say new battle mode and 16 new courses. Obviously could be more, but we haven't heard about that from any reliable source.

There's no indication for that. Reliable sources say new battle mode and 16 new courses. Obviously could be more, but we haven't heard about that from any reliable source.

Was referring to the EBGames boxart Liam is now disputing.

But yeah, given that it's being disputed, I'm going to retreat back to 16 and 8. I don't think it's impossible that that number has increased, but Liam also says even the title is wrong, and that's a bad sign.

Shiggy

devil's advocate: wording on box probably includes the DLC characters and courses as "new". would be 4 new characters + 2 new cups in actuality

Was referring to the EBGames boxart Liam is now disputing.

But yeah, given that it's being disputed, I'm going to retreat back to 16 and 8. I don't think it's impossible that that number has increased, but Liam also says even the title is wrong, and that's a bad sign.

We pretty much agreed it's fake.

oti

Banned
EDIT: Liam Robertson is calling it fake. He says the numbers are wrong, as is the name. But he's also calling it fanart, which seems like an odd claim. I'm curious how this will unfold as more people wake up and see this. The fact that he calls it "fanart" is really weird to me.

Liam is probably in on the "16 new tracks, 8 new drivers" number several of us had heard. So I still expect that at a minimum.

I'm questioning even that tbh. How can you sell another full price MK with half the tracks after this?

Shiggy

I'm questioning even that tbh. How can you sell another full price MK with half the tracks after this?

Liam and Emily should have got this right. Their previous leaks pretty much coincided with the time at which the game's localisation was done/finished. Keeping that in mind, games like MK or Mario 3D are supposedly done and localised.

oti

Banned
Liam and Emily should have got this right. Their previous leaks pretty much coincided with the time at which the game's localisation was done/finished. Keeping that in mind, games like MK or Mario 3D are supposedly done and localised.

My prediction: Splatoon character, new Battle Mode and MAYBE Splatoon and Breath of the Wild themed tracks at launch or later via free update. To give this enhanced port a new Switch feeling. Other than that I'm highly sceptical even though I'd love to see a ton of new tracks.

If it has a "proper" Battle Mode with arenas like 64's, I don't care if it has 8 or 16 new tracks.
Please have interesting arenas like a Block Fort and that Decker one.
Not convinced there really is the old school Battle Mode but maybe we'll find out at the blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom