• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

16 of those tracks would be the DLC, so.....Only another 8 (about the size of a third DLC pack for MK8) tracks to make 24.
Again, a good chunk of MK8 owners have the DLC. Hell, the DLC is even included in the MK8 Wii U bundle. If that listing is even true in the first place, I don't think it would be counting said MK8 DLC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lot of fakes and new "insiders" popped up in this thread in the past days. I guess we reached that part of pre-Nintendo event.

Shiggy

Again, a good chunk of MK8 owners have the DLC. Hell, the DLC is even included in the MK8 Wii U bundle. If that listing is even true in the first place, I don't think it would be counting said MK8 DLC.

Supposedly MK8 tracks + DLC tracks + 16 new tracks
The boxart is fake.

A lot of fakes and new "insiders" popped up in this thread in the past days. I guess we reached that part of pre-Nintendo event.

For what it's worth, I'd like to never be described as an insider, either seriously or with any tone of sarcasm. I'm no source for anything, I just hear what more reliable people say (and occasionally, tell me).

I'm just an ex-Nintendo employee who likes to play the speculation game.

It's honestly not that surprising. I believe 16 new tracks was what NateDrake heard, right?

I had been told 16 tracks, 8 drivers, and battle mode, but the person who told me that was still seeking more verification at the time. If Nate says 16 tracks, and Liam seems to know hard numbers different from this boxart, I'm inclined to believe that that number is right.

brad-t

Exactly. Every Mario Kart has been rebuilt from the ground up as a new experience--even the Retro tracks are completely rebuilt. This game, based on the short gameplay and rumors, is MK8+

And I think calling it Mario Kart 9, for instance, would be deceiving

I think the expectation that the game will be rebuilt from the ground up every time is probably unrealistic considering how games development has changed. It would also be pretty foolish of them, since Mario Kart 8 is an awesome base to build on.

Will they do anything with Kart 8's visuals??? Obviously it doesn't need much but besides a higher resolution, any little graphical flourishes or the same exact game in that regard???

brad-t

Only because Metroid fans kept setting themselves up for frustration and disappointment up to that point. The game itself was fine as a spinoff, but not following it up with anything else before or afterwards was definitely a weird move (though, could you blame them after Other M?). Hopefully, Nintendo haven't completely abandoned the series.

I'm still hoping for a From Software Metroid, mostly because I like pain

oti

Banned
It's been weeks since I started teasing my insider info about a new F-Zero on Switch but no one believes me !
It's your avatar. I can't trust it.

Will they do anything with Kart 8's visuals??? Obviously it doesn't need much but besides a higher resolution, any little graphical flourishes or the same exact game in that regard???
I don't care about any graphical enhancements as long as it runs smoothly in split screen with over two players. The game looks fine.

Bruh if I had gone back one page farther than I did I would have seen the discussion over the box art.

Anytime I pop into a thread from now on I'm being patient and reading the last ten pages.

Shiggy

My dream game would be Wario Land 5.

wario_land_shake_conceptart_QQAZN.jpg

I want another Wario Land by Good-Feel!

amnesiac

Really hope they're not going to start over with the Virtual Console again. Keeping expectations low, though.

It'll be nice to play N64 and Gamecube games portably!

Roo

Some AA would be cool tbh.
It also needs better AF but that's not as annoying as jaggies.

EDIT:

mk8-dlc-11.jpg

01_Mario_Kart_81.jpg

mk8-dlc-21.jpg

It looks so much better I can't even

Charamiwa

Banned
That EBGames leak look so fake. For one, the archives doesn't show the Mario Kart boxart being ever there, it was probably added manually. Also, the "enhanced" version that let you read the inscriptions was posted by the same dude on Reddit. Now why would that guy have a higher resolution of that boxart, unless in the one that made it...

Also this look like some good old fanbait, meaning there's nothing new or risky about this whole thing and seem to be exactly what the average Redditor or Gaffer would want out of a MK Switch leak.

Phoenixus

Really hope they're not going to start over with the Virtual Console again. Keeping expectations low, though.

It'll be nice to play N64 and Gamecube games portably!

I dunno, if starting over means we'll get vastly better emulation for some of the platforms than what was on WiiU, I can accept that. Same with an upgrade fee, as long as there are actual upgrades.

Painguy

Do you guys think Nintendo will actually have Mario at launch? I remember a few days before the reveal trailer there was news of how Nintendo was struggling to get Mario ready for a trailer reveal and also how miyamoto said Mario would be another couple years away.
I feel like they are gonna delay it.

Do you guys think Nintendo will actually have Mario at launch? I remember a few days before the reveal trailer there was news of how Nintendo was struggling to get Mario ready for a trailer reveal and also how miyamoto said Mario would be another couple years away.
I feel like they are gonna delay it.
At this point we should wait till Jan 12. We actually agreed this a few pages back, even the Miyamoto quote.
Edit: I'm tired.

Plum

At this point we should wait till Jan 12. We actually agreed this a few pages back, even the Miyamoto quote.

We learned to nothing

Yep. It's 10 days now (11 for some) until we know, at the very least, what will release at launch. Unless more reputable leaks come out I think it's best to just start waiting.

Nanashrew

Banned
I dunno, if starting over means we'll get vastly better emulation for some of the platforms than what was on WiiU, I can accept that. Same with an upgrade fee, as long as there are actual upgrades.

I can agree with this, and I also hope there are upgrades too.

There's a hidden unimplemented feature in the DS emulator you can get through homebrew that allows you to bump up the resolution to at least 2x, I think. Better internal resolution for DS games would be preferred on the Switch and would be a fine upgrade because those games can look very pretty at higher internal resolutions.

The rest, they can learn from the NES Mini and 3DS on perfect pixel mode, scanlines (though they need to improve there) and other filters to play around with for 2D games.

Game Boy/Color emulator upgrades I want are colors and Super Game Boy borders since we'll have a larger screen on the go and the TV.

N64, anti-aliasing and upping the resolution? Not sure here. They've done a lot to make them have consistent framerate and already upping the resolution. The real issue comes from the input delay.

wrowa

Why not? Because the mechanics are too similar? Because it also includes all MK8 content?

16 new tracks would likely be two entitely new cups and two new retro cups, though. That'd be about half the content of a proper new Mario Kart.

Pachimari

I've decided to skip out on launch I ultimately don't need the Switch. But I might jump in as soon as Pokemon Stars releases. And then I can hope fora full fledged Animal Crossing too.

I actually don't know what else I would want from the Switch other than Wii Sports and some Level-5 goodness. Maybe Monster Hunter but I almost didn't play MH4 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom