• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

I said I'd leave but it's just too difficult...

At this point I'm thinking that the general fan response to the Switch presentation is going to be people complaining that nothing new was revealed.

This is what I'm dreading. People are absolutely stupid when it comes to hype; Shenmue 3 and FFVIIr, if they had been leaked, would have met with a resounding "meh" from many idiots people.

I'm not trying to disparage Laura's possible health conditions in any way, but I do find it interesting how she keeps talking about the stress of leaking on twitter and yet she continues to leak.

The Zelda update I get. She had to correct her prior statement in order to avoid total discreditation come the 12th. But now I'm sitting here reading stuff like, "I'm so stressed. If I could go back and leak less or nothing at all, I would..." and I'm thinking, why even bring up Mother 3 then? If it takes such a toll on you, why not leave something like that as a surprise?

I'm not trying to disparage Laura's possible health conditions in any way, but I do find it interesting how she keeps talking about the stress of leaking on twitter and yet she continues to leak.

The Zelda update I get. She had to correct her prior statement in order to avoid total discreditation come the 12th. But now I'm sitting here reading stuff like, "I'm so stressed. If I could go back and leak less or nothing at all, I would..." and I'm thinking, why even bring up Mother 3 then? If it takes such a toll on you, why not leave something like that as a surprise?
Don't believe their lies.

Aeana said the following about these Laura's tweet threads:

What does the bolded mean? Basically that the leaker needs to be confident enough to put it to writing on a publication (like Laura's LPVG articles) or still something else?

He's saying people can't be held accountable on Twitter, for some reason. The news is quite "attached" to herself via Twitter.

He also seems to grouping all Twitter users together and says Laura's waffled several times, when she really hasn't. This is the first I can think of--and even then, it might not even be a "waffle" since we don't know if it applies to Europe yet.

Ridley327

TBF, the Mother 3 localization has been known for a long time, after Emily Rogers first mentioned it early last year and Eurogamer confirmed it. The only real news here is that it's bound for Switch VC.

Nudull

Banned
Aeana said the following about these Laura's tweet threads:

What does the bolded mean? Basically that the leaker needs to be confident enough to put it to writing on a publication (like Laura's LPVG articles) or still something else?

People can post whatever they want on Twitter and not have to take responsibility if a rumor goes bad. Of course, it hold more weight if the person is willing to stake their career and professional reputation on the line on something they know to be true, and especially if the publication can verify it.

People can post whatever they want on Twitter and not have to take responsibility if a rumor goes bad.

That is true of literally any medium.

Of course, it hold more weight if the person is willing to stake their career and professional reputation on the line on something they know to be true, and especially if the publication can verify it.

Do people just ignore the backlash on Twitter (and elsewhere) or something? Both Emily and LKD have taken a ton of heat for rumors--they stake their reputation with every single one they report.

Rösti;227547484 said:
Both the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 and Experience Meeting will be held at Tokyo Big Sight according to the news release on October 27: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/15aeb51d-9a6e-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

Also confirmed by this: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/art...6d.html?_ga=1.195260140.1547045138.1483379733

Thank you very much. I wonder how easy it will be to get in / see it in person, if you or anyone else has advice for a non-speaker of Japanese it would be greatly appreciated. He's a huge Nintendo geek just looking to get his fix on his first trip to Japan.

pretty easy, so she stays on the spot light for as long as possible before people forget about her after the system is launched.

I dont care how people here will interpret my reply here, it is what i clearly see from her behavior, extra credits for the sympathetic angel about her health.

I think Laura comes across as quite young, and like a lot of young people online, she doesn't seem to be able to/want to separate her professional life and her personal life. That's not a criticism necessarily, she can do what she likes, but I think her online content is very much framed around her and her personality, rather than having the buffer of an employer or larger organisation that a lot of games journos have. So I think that must make the act of leaking so much more personal and stressful than it is for the folks at Eurogamer, for example.

And this is mixed with the stress of needing to keep on leaking in order to capitalise on the publicity she's recieved as a journalist thanks to the leaks, which someone like a Eurogamer journalist doesnt have to worry about as they're employed, and someone like Emily Rodgers isn't that bothered about as she's clearly not trying to earn a living as a journalist, and just leaks Nintendo stuff for fun.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If Zelda in march please wait a month for Mario Nintendo. 3rd parties that have agreed to launch games on the switch will literally hate you, and I NEED to be able to play 3rd party games on the toilet again.

El Topo

They're from two different sources in two different continents. It's very possible her NOA and NOE sources are both correct and the game is delayed in Europe only.

I have to agree with oti here, I just can't see them push Zelda as this big flagship title for their marketing and then delay it in Europe.

HeySeuss

Put yourself in her shoes for a moment. First off, she's a female who, along with Emily, is getting insider information much more readily than her male counterparts. I'm sure that's not something that many guys in the industry are happy about since it somehow insults their manhood. Then, you've got gamers constantly saying she's full of shit and that she just repeats what Emily says or that she doesn't have real sources when other outlets offer different information or information that someone wants to be true. Next factor in the constant bombardment she gets in her dms about people wanting more info hoping she will share it with them. The girl probably can't be online more than a few minutes before she is harassed to the point of annoyance.

People deal with all that stuff in many different ways. I'm sure it bothers her for gamers and industry insiders to discredit her on every tweet that she makes. Just like it's overwhelming for people to take what she says as gospel because now there's added pressure on her from both sides to make sure what she says is legit.

It no doubt causes her a lot of anxiety and probably depression as well.

oatmeal

Banned
If Nintendo just added Battle Mode, I would be in day 0 on MK8+.

The design of Battle Mode in MK8 is fine, just put Block Fort and other classic maps in.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda at launch and Mario for the big holiday title always seemed to make the most sense to me.

Launch=early adopters=the more diehard/hardcore fans. The new Zelda is right up their alley.

Mario appeals to them as well, but is even bigger among the less diehard fans, families, kids, lapsed Nintendo fans etc who are less of the early adopter market, but are a huge part of the holiday shopping season market.

He's saying people can't be held accountable on Twitter, for some reason. The news is quite "attached" to herself via Twitter.

He also seems to grouping all Twitter users together and says Laura's waffled several times, when she really hasn't. This is the first I can think of--and even then, it might not even be a "waffle" since we don't know if it applies to Europe yet.

She hasn't necessarily waffled, but she was the one that pointed people toward that guy that posted that bullshit Uncharted 4 DLC rumor on his website. Now are people going to take any future rumors from him seriously? Doubtful. But you also notice that Laura didn't post that on the website she works for, right? Even though she was willing to vouch for him on Twitter.

Scrawnton

I have to agree with oti here, I just can't see them push Zelda as this big flagship title for their marketing and then delay it in Europe.
If EU localization is holding it up and the options are delay the game worldwide and hinder the Switch launch globally or launch it in Japan and NA in March with Switch to give it a boost and delay it for a couple months in EU what do you think Nintendo would do?

The success of Switch heavily rides on having a huge game ready. If it's ready for NA and Japan they're gonna launch it. They need to launch it.

They're not gonna jeopardize the launch of a brand new system in their biggest market (Japan) because a localization isn't ready.

Noe can't possibly be dumb enough to delay BTOW EU launch.

They already took a lot of shit for FE: Fates, Picross, Rhythm Heaven... That would be the end of their community management.

She hasn't necessarily waffled, but she was the one that pointed people toward that guy that posted that bullshit Uncharted 4 DLC rumor on his website. Now are people going to take any future rumors from him seriously? Doubtful. But you also notice that Laura didn't post that on the website she works for, right? Even though she was willing to vouch for him on Twitter.

I'm not seeing a contradiction here. She reports her own sourced rumors on LPVG, not other people's as far as I know.

It happened with Roy in Melee, too.

Marth as well. Both him and Roy were planned on being excluded from the NA/PAL releases of Melee originally.

Between that, what Richie said about Lucas, and how Takamaru didn't make it into Smash 4 as a playable character due to lacking worldwide popularity, you can tell Sakurai isn't too crazy on adding JP only characters to Smash. We were just incredibly lucky to get Marth, Roy, and Lucas, and even then, the latter two got cut and made it back into Smash 4 as merely DLC.

If Zelda in march please wait a month for Mario Nintendo. 3rd parties that have agreed to launch games on the switch will literally hate you, and I NEED to be able to play 3rd party games on the toilet again.
I don't get this point at all. It's not Nintendos problem if some old third party games don't sell.

Nintendo NEEDS to sell systems and if that means 3D Mario and Zelda day 1 then so be it. 3rd party can space their games out and I'm sure Nintendo has told some 3rd party devs what they plan on having for launch so they know.

Zelda at launch and Mario for the big holiday title always seemed to make the most sense to me.

Launch=early adopters=the more diehard/hardcore fans. The new Zelda is right up their alley.

Mario appeals to them as well, but is even bigger among the less diehard fans, families, kids, lapsed Nintendo fans etc who are less of the early adopter market, but are a huge part of the holiday shopping season market.
Agreed.

sanstesy

If EU localization is holding it up and the options are delay the game worldwide and hinder the Switch launch globally or launch it in Japan and NA in March with Switch to give it a boost and delay it for a couple months in EU what do you think Nintendo would do?

The success of Switch heavily rides on having a huge game ready. If it's ready for NA and Japan they're gonna launch it. They need to launch it.

They're not gonna jeopardize the launch of a brand new system in their biggest market (Japan) because a localization isn't ready.

Jeopardizing the launch in Japan? Zelda being there at launch in Japan is like not a requirement in any shape or form. Zelda is not big in Japan at all.

The only reason they would delay it in EU but release it at launch anyway in other territories is because of NA which will be a marketing nightmare I can tell you right now. Especially if Mario is there on launch day anyway.

Xiao Hu

Noe can't possibly be dumb enough to delay BTOW EU launch.

They already took a lot of shit for FE: Fates, Picross, Rhythm Heaven... That would be the end of their community management.

What community management? NoE has been castrated ages ago by NCL...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't get this point at all. It's not Nintendos problem if some old third party games don't sell.

Nintendo NEEDS to sell systems and if that means 3D Mario and Zelda day 1 then so be it. 3rd party can space their games out and I'm sure Nintendo has told some 3rd party devs what they plan on having for launch so they know.

For once I agree with you. It's not like the third parties (that would be likely to port to Switch) have too many big games coming in March anyhow.

AzaK

HeySeuss

I think the whole idea of launch titles vs holiday titles will become much more moot with the Switch since everything will be consolidated to one system. We should see a much more consistent release schedule of heavy hitters something like one a month or so. Between the remasters and new games a drought of games will hopefully be a thing of the past.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/815990693483180032

Even if people here for some reason don't like Liam he's always been reliable in my eyes so I'm very excited to hear this!

I'll always remember Liam for that Shovel Knight in Smash nonsense lol.

But to be fair, he has been more reliable when it comes to the Switch. For example, I believe he was the one who hinted at the Rabbids X Mario RPG crossover game. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

edit: nvm he's full of shit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom