• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

Has it been discussed that Argos in the UK has put the Switch price at £299.99?

https://twitter.com/MyNintendoNews/status/815981689012973568

I'm not one of these "Switch has to be £150!" people, but $350/£300 for the base model seem extortionate. Let's hope it's not true.

It is (for now at least) as much a place holder price as the Media Markt €999,- one. You can always decrease the price after the announcement, but you generally can't raise the price.

Scrawnton

Zelda being there at launch in Japan is like not a requirement in any shape or form. Zelda is not big in Japan at all.

The only reason they would delay it in EU but release it at launch anyway in other territories is because of NA which will be a marketing nightmare I can tell you right now.
Marketing nightmare or not, if they don't have a big game to go at launch because Zelda isn't ready in Europe, Nintendo will delay it in Europe only. Let's say Mario isn't there at launch and they need Zelda. If that's the case they're gonna delay it in Europe and launch it in NA and Japan to push the system.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get this point at all. It's not Nintendos problem if some old third party games don't sell.

Nintendo NEEDS to sell systems and if that means 3D Mario and Zelda day 1 then so be it. 3rd party can space their games out and I'm sure Nintendo has told some 3rd party devs what they plan on having for launch so they know.

It's not the third parties to worry about IMO. It's that they've stated only 2 million consoles first month. If Zelda and the other non-mainline Mario launch titles can't have those sell out near instantly they've got big problems.

Zelda and the other launch titles should appeal to the diehard early adopter crowd and keep stock off store shelves for a couple of months. Then Mario is the feather in their cap to keep sales going once the early adopter market is tapped. With the Wii U ports as atop gaps through the summer most likely unless sales slow dramatically before then.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't get this point at all. It's not Nintendos problem if some old third party games don't sell.

Nintendo NEEDS to sell systems and if that means 3D Mario and Zelda day 1 then so be it. 3rd party can space their games out and I'm sure Nintendo has told some 3rd party devs what they plan on having for launch so they know.
seeing as we know from history that many 3rd parties don't like to compete with nintendos heavy hitters id say it's somewhat of a problem for Nintendo.

For once I agree with you. It's not like the third parties (that would be likely to port to Switch) have too many big games coming in March anyhow.
we don't know this for certain.

I'm not seeing a contradiction here. She reports her own sourced rumors on LPVG, not other people's as far as I know.

But she'd said that it lined up with what she was hearing. Of course she said that on Twitter. She also hasn't been posting these recent rumors on her website. The last report/rumor posted there was in early December about there being a power boost when docked.

That's why the threads about Twitter rumors have been locked. When Digital Foundry reported about the Switch specs they'd heard, they didn't take to Twitter to do that. They wrote a long ass report on their website.

sanstesy

Marketing nightmare or not, if they don't have a big game to go at launch because Zelda isn't ready in Europe, Nintendo will delay it in Europe only. Let's say Mario isn't there at launch and they need Zelda. If that's the case they're gonna delay it in Europe and launch it in NA and Japan to push the system.

If we go by the rumours we depend on Mario is ready in every territory, though. That's why Zelda being delayed for some months after launch makes way more sense than this mess of launching a huge game in only one of the two relevant markets. Nevermind the previous mentioned fact that these two games plus Splatoon will steal all the thunder at launch and give zero chance for any of the third-party games.

I can't believe this is getting good support here.

oh yea Emily haters will get be digging another hole lol
Just wait until girl Link is confirmed for BOTW. :D (I still 100% believe this.)

Anywayz: Glad to have new more news about Zelda at launch, but at this point I'll just wait for the official confirmations to be sure. I just realized how close it was. :O

Nintendo can't do Mario Rabbids RPG and 3D Mario day 1.

They have to pick one.

I would do Zelda and Mario RPG, then save 3D Mario to release a month or two later.

Zedark

Yeah for sure, perhaps Pokemon GO will see a major expansion around the time of Stars? Alola forms would be cool.

If they could prepare a full generation worth of new pokémon for an update before pokémon Stars, they could definitely do a similar marketing as they did with Sun & Moon imo.

What type of difference do you think having both at launch makes? With both, they'll sell all their stock but with one they only sell half, for example? I just don't see it being necessary to put both together because initial sales are more than likely going to be solid regardless. Mario and Zelda will get theirs no matter what.

Third parties should be heavily courted.

Just wait until girl Link is confirmed for BOTW. :D (I still 100% believe this.)

Anywayz: Glad to have new more news about Zelda at launch, but at this point I'll just wait for the official confirmations to be sure. I just realized how close it was. :O

I'm also in on female Link, I'm convinced that's what we saw in the Game Awards trailer.

Jerm411

I totally forgot Stardew Valley is coming to the Switch....hype is getting even higher lol.

I hope it's available in 2017 though, been holding off buying it on other consoles strictly for Switch.

Nudull

Banned
I feel more comfortable about getting Zelda first, for the moment. We know a lot more about that game than we do Mario, and it's an eye-catcher.

What type of difference do you think having both at launch makes? With both, they'll sell all their stock but with one they only sell half, for example? I just don't see it being necessary to put both together because initial sales are more than likely going to be solid regardless. Mario and Zelda will get theirs no matter what.

Third parties should be heavily courted.

I didn't really think about the low stock. Zelda alone will sell out the initial Switch stock, but 3D Mario should come the following month or two then if they have other big titles for Winter.

Mario Run won't disappear from the App Store when Mario Switch hits in Winter.
Sure, but the momentum from it won't be the same. Pokemon Sun/Moon on the heels of Pokemon Go certainly benefited.

I'm not agreeing that Mario needs to launch with Switch either. I'm just digging into the thought process he is going with.

seeing as we know from history that many 3rd parties don't like to compete with nintendos heavy hitters id say it's somewhat of a problem for Nintendo.

If Nintendo actually made games that targeted the same demographic as [insert AAA franchise here], third parties would have no problem "competing" with them, just as they have no problem competing with the likes of Halo or Uncharted. They don't, which is a large part of why most third parties don't (and won't) bother.

If 3D Mario comes out in April or May I would expect Pokémon, Retros game and another game (Animal Crossing?) to be the heave hitters for winter.

We still have the new IP from Nintendo which could be anything.

I didn't really think about the low stock. Zelda alone will sell out the initial Switch stock, but 3D Mario should come the following month or two then if they have other big titles for Winter.
Right, that is what I was thinking. They'll be fine with selling through most of that initial stock. Mario should be used to take the baton after that phase is over with.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/815990693483180032

Even if people here for some reason don't like Liam he's always been reliable in my eyes so I'm very excited to hear this!

There is no way Mario and Zelda will both be at launch.

For example, I believe he was the one who hinted at the Rabbids X Mario RPG crossover game. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Pretty sure he wasn't. He hopped on the bandwagon after someone else teased it, and it was LKD who officially revealed it IIRC.

That's why the threads about Twitter rumors have been locked. When Digital Foundry reported about the Switch specs they'd heard, they didn't take to Twitter to do that. They wrote a long ass report on their website.

Because there was a long ass report to write; there is seemingly nothing more to the Zelda rumor than what was in her tweet. How does adding a few hundred works of padding make it more legit?

HeySeuss

True, but it'd still be overkill to have both Zelda & Mario on Day 1, especially with the Mario x Rabbids RPG also rumored to be Day 1.

It's going to be like that inevitably at some point, so it's better to do it at launch and give consumers more appealing options. Just look at the releases with the months in a year.

Zelda
Mario
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade remaster
Mario Kart remaster
Mario Maker remaster
Pikmin 4
Smash remaster
Donkey Kong (you know there will be one)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (rumored let's pretend it's real)
New IP
Spla2oon
Pokemon remaster

And those are just off the top of my head of what is likely based on rumor or common sense. Way more games than months in the year. And that's not including Dragon Quest or MarioXRabbids that is coming. Plus you know there will be a few titles we didn't know about in the works. Third parties better step their game up if they are going to sell their games because the release schedule for Nintendo is going to be packed with just one outlet especially when the 3DS is phased out next year. Then all of those typically handheld titles will be coming for year 2 which will likely be more packed for a release schedule.

This is going to be nuts

sanstesy

This "they need to go all-in at launch" argument is incredible nonsense. As long as 3D Mario or Zelda plus the other rumoured launch games (a good future release schedule which includes for example Zelda) are there they will sell very well at launch anyway. Launch sales were not the problem even for the abysmal selling Wii U.

El Topo

If EU localization is holding it up and the options are delay the game worldwide and hinder the Switch launch globally or launch it in Japan and NA in March with Switch to give it a boost and delay it for a couple months in EU what do you think Nintendo would do?

I strongly doubt they would have made Zelda their big focus for the marketing of Switch (so far) if there was doubt about a simultaneous global release.

The success of Switch heavily rides on having a huge game ready. If it's ready for NA and Japan they're gonna launch it. They need to launch it.

Just so I get this right: They absolutely really, really need the title for their launch, but they're gonna launch without it in one of their biggest markets? They would rather delay the European launch then.
I don't even think the title is *that* important for their launch, but I just cannot fathom that they would make it their big focus and then launch without it in Europe.

Zedark

It's going to be like that inevitably at some point, so it's better to do it at launch and give consumers more appealing options. Just look at the releases with the months in a year.

Zelda
Mario
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade remaster
Mario Kart remaster
Mario Maker remaster
Pikmin 4
Smash remaster
Donkey Kong (you know there will be one)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (rumored let's pretend it's real)
New IP
Spla2oon
Pokemon remaster

And those are just off the top of my head of what is likely based on rumor or common sense. And that's not including Dragon Quest or MarioXRabbids that is coming. Plus you know there will be a few titles we didn't know about in the works. Third parties better step their game up if they are going to sell their games because the release schedule for Nintendo is going to be packed with just one outlet especially when the 3DS is phased out next year. Then all of those typically handheld titles will be coming for year 2 which will likely be more packed for a release schedule.

This is going to be nuts

Is this one based on common sense? I would kill for a Fire Emblem game in the first year!

oti

Banned
Sure, but the momentum from it won't be the same. Pokemon Sun/Moon on the heels of Pokemon Go certainly benefited.

I'm not agreeing that Mario needs to launch with Switch either. I'm just digging into the thought process he is going with.

Sure, I get the point. It's not ideal for sure but Zelda HAS to be out on launch. Mario can wait for the Holidays. They could add something to Mario Run and Apple will feature it in the App Store anyway.

HeySeuss

Is this one based on common sense? I would kill for a Fire Emblem game in the first year!

Yeah. Since the switch is going to be the handheld console as well for the time being that one is bound to happen. Probably not till next year though. Sorry it wasn't a rumor but just my personal opinion.

Yeah, I find this very hard to believe. They'd cannibalize each other; better for Nintendo to space them out by a few months even if Mario is already complete.
But does Nintendo really rely on launch day sales as much as other companies do? It's not going to make a bit of difference to them if a consumer buys one game at launch and buys the other a couple months later. Those prices aren't dropping.

Speely

Banned
Maybe Mario being "done" is only in reference to the single player. If the speculated 2-player aspect (hinted at but in no way confirmed by the trailer,) then that could be something still being worked on, depending upon how extensive it is.

Only a matter of days till we know either way. HYPE.

Phoenixus

I could see Nintendo releasing Zelda at launch for NA and Japan and holding back 3D Mario for a month or two, and vice versa for Europe if the translation issues are true. I certainly won't complain with having both day one but breathing space is important.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Mario Run won't disappear from the App Store when Mario Switch hits in Winter.

Mario Run won't be anywhere the top in App Store next winter. Won't be the latest hotness from Nintendo either, since AC and FE mobile games and maybe even more will be launched by then.

Nintendo can't do Mario Rabbids RPG and 3D Mario day 1.

They have to pick one.

I would do Zelda and Mario RPG, then save 3D Mario to release a month or two later.
Think about everything Nintendo has done since becoming a video game company.

Think about your statement.

Do you really want to say Nintendo can't launch both Marios on day 1?

HeySeuss

Yeah, I find this very hard to believe. They'd cannibalize each other; better for Nintendo to space them out by a few months even if Mario is already complete.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but this is going to be a problem for Nintendo now there is only one outlet for their games. There's only 12 months in a year. There will be overlap with their release schedule and titles aren't going to get the same amount of time to themselves to generate sales like they used to. Having Zelda and Mario at launch doesn't cannibalize each other as they will be constantly bought with every switch sold and their legs will last the lifetime of the console. Might as well release them at the same time.

oti

Banned
Nintendo would absolutely wait a significant amount of time to release a 100% complete game if that fits their schedule. No question.

Mario Run won't be anywhere the top in App Store next winter. Won't be the latest hotness from Nintendo either, since AC and FE mobile games and maybe even more will be launched by then.

It's THE Mario game on Mobile. I don't get what your point is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom