• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeySeuss

If they only have one at launch it needs to be Zelda since that one is way more front loaded than Mario. Mario will have much better legs of the two.

lutheran

Say what you want about 3rd party games but having both SM and Zelda out at launch will absolutely ensure that a ton of consoles will be sold early on which will give 3rd parties a good reason to make games. The lack of Wii U's out in the wild destroyed that systems chances at 3rd party support. I mean it would have sold out at launch either way but with those 2 powerhouse games available the system will move a f-ton of units for a long time to come after launch. The Switch NEEDS to be a home run on launch day, it just has to be.

MrGoomba

And then you'll finish the game in 2 weeks, and we'll get complaints of a drought or new no games.

The idea is to pace it out so that there's a constant flow of new content for the "core" players. As it also helps keep the console in conversations.

Well, Zelda and Mario will not be the only games. There are still Skyrim, Rabbits RPG, MK8 and whatever is not annouced yet, then, there will be a lot of games to launch in the following months. If they want to have a great launch, Mario and Zelda will be the greatest ever.

Hakai

That's even if we get Metroid & F-Zero on Year 1, which I'm not so sure about.

I'm thinking that Nintendo's only gonna have Zelda & the enhanced Splatoon port on Day 1. Maybe they'll have more games that we don't know about, but having both Zelda & Mario on Day 1 (as awesome as it would be) is overkill & wouldn't bode well for any other games at launch or for the even spread of first party titles throughout the year. You gotta spread the love throughout the year.

Let's agree to disagree then. I'm not saying it will happen nor that I believe it will, but I don't see the problem if it happens depending on the circumstances.

amnesiac

Mario + Zelda at launch, Mother 3 and all the Wii U rereleases in the summer, 2D Metroid in the fall, then Pokemon Stars to end the year. Sounds good to me!

jmizzal

Have people seen marketing that says Mario is launch?

I have yet to see any of the insides say a source told them Mario is launch, only thing they are saying is Mario is done.

Neoxon

Let's agree to disagree then. I'm not saying it will happen nor that I believe it will, but I don't see the problem if it happens depending on the circumstances.
Now don't get me wrong, I'd be down for both Zelda & Mario on Day 1. I'm just concerned that it'd create more problems than it would prevent.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I worry about Mario and Zelda for launch, not because I think it will drown other stuff out, but I worry about future release droughts.

Nintendo having full focus on one system will help, but what is going to release the rest of the year?

Launch: Mario/Zelda
Summer: Mario Kart 8 Switch and Smash ports???
Fall: Pikmin (Liam Robertson said on Twitter today this was happening) and ???
Winter: ???

Nintendo needs like a game a month for this thing to prevent droughts unless they are 100% certain they have enough third party support to fill the gaps.

We know Metroid is probably coming. I desperately want a new Animal Crossing but my guess is that is next year. Luigi's Mansion 3 has been rumored--maybe that's a holiday title?

Zedark

Say what you want about 3rd party games but having both SM and Zelda out at launch will absolutely ensure that a ton of consoles will be sold early on which will give 3rd parties a good reason to make games. The lack of Wii U's out in the wild destroyed that systems chances at 3rd party support. I mean it would have sold out at launch either way but with those 2 powerhouse games available the system will move a f-ton of units for a long time to come after launch. The Switch NEEDS to be a home run on launch day, it just has to be.

The WiiU sold well at launch, though. It was after that that the sales dropped off a cliff when there was a draught of software. The thing Nintendo needs to do is maintain software output to maintain the momentum. To keep the momentum up, it would make sense to have a big title in the summer and one at launch.

Neoxon

I worry about Mario and Zelda for launch, not because I think it will drown other stuff out, but I worry about future release droughts.

Nintendo having full focus on one system will help, but what is going to release the rest of the year?

Launch: Mario/Zelda
Summer: Mario Kart 8 Switch and Smash ports???
Fall: Pikmin (Liam Robertson said on Twitter today this was happening) and ???
Winter: ???

Nintendo needs like a game a month for this thing to prevent droughts unless they are 100% certain they have enough third party support to fill the gaps.
You're forgetting about Pokémon Stars, Xenoblade X, & Super Mario Maker.

Based on recent Zelda history, it's not the series that had typical Nintendo legs. Given its the biggest game Nintendo has ever created I just imagine they want to give that game a bit of breathing room by itself. May-June seems like a great time as it also avoids the Q1 rush of titles

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo will update Mario Run.
Apple and Google will feature it in their stores.
Same result.

You practically ignore something that's already happening. SMR is going down the tops and there is less and less writing about it as we speak.

And this is not Pokemon GO, which with each update brings back a big number of players who can actually play the game. The updates impact is mostly limited to the buyers of the game.

Neoxon

What?

Super Mario Maker just got released on 3DS, they're not gonna release it AGAIN on Switch!
Cxs0XohXcAQypsX.jpg

Obviously move Zelda to launch in light of what Laura recently heard.

What?

Super Mario Maker just got released on 3DS, they're not gonna release it AGAIN on Switch!

Of course they will haha. I don't know if they would want to release it this year though.

I see something like this being a pretty good lineup:

Launch: Splatoon, 3D Mario

May-June- Zelda

Then sprinkle the Wii U rereleases throughout the rest of the year

Holiday: Pokemon Stars and probably something else.

Neoxon

It's fucking Donkey Kong again?
Nobody knows, but Laura seems to have heard that Retro's next game isn't Metroid. Either way, I wouldn't mind if Retro's next game was another Donkey Kong game. It'd be a nice way to finish off the Returns trilogy, & I'm sure they'd deliver a quality product.

Also, props for finding my tweet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, I think this would be beneficial for 3rd parties post March. Having a huge launch and a big install base out of the gate will be more appealing for 3rd parties going forward.

And if you're done with Zelda and Mario after 2 weeks as someone said earlier, buy Skyrim and Mario&Rabbids and there will be no droughts.

Laura does think so:

she was wrong about Zelda which means she's almost certainly wrong about Mario. I don't think Nintendo would ever launch those two together day 1. That's just not happening. (i'd be happily proven wrong as i'd love Mario over Zelda)

Which then means she could be wrong about anything. I don't trust her anymore when it comes to SW lineup.

sanstesy

Of course they will haha. I don't know if they would want to release it this year though.

I see something like this being a pretty good lineup:

Launch: Splatoon, 3D Mario

May-June- Zelda

Then sprinkle the Wii U rereleases throughout the rest of the year

Holiday: Pokemon Stars and probably something else.

Yep, this makes the most sense for everyone especially for third-party and more so if the Zelda delay in Europe is a thing.

oti

Banned
You practically ignore something that's already happening. SMR is going down the tops and there is less and less writing about it as we speak.

And this is not Pokemon GO, which with each update brings back a big number of players who can actually play the game. The updates impact is mostly limited to the buyers of the game.

Of course it's going down the charts, that was inevitable. It will still function as a marketing tool for Mario Switch just fine. There is no need to release Mario Switch RIGHT NOW because Mario Run launched. That's short-term thinking. That's not what Nintendo does. For Nintendo Mario Run will become a staple of the App Store. Something people will get whenever they buy a $15 iTunes gift card. They're fine with it not being #1 all the time. That's just impossible with an asking price of $10.

Zedark

she was wrong about Zelda which means she's almost certainly wrong about Mario. I don't think Nintendo would ever launch those two together day 1. That's just not happening.

Which then means she could be wrong about anything. I don't trust her anymore when it comes to SW lineup.

How does this work? She self-corrected, so she wasn't wrong, but rather found out that there was different insider information available (if we accept her having insider info), which she has thoroughly explained. She still has EU sources saying June, and she is open about that discrepancy, so saying she is wrong is a bit unfair. If someone else corrected her on it, you would have a point, but she came out with it herself and adjusted her leak to that new information.

So Wii U ports have been discussed a lot, but what 3DS HD remasters would you like to see on Switch?
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds are at the top of the list for me.
I'd also be interested in a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster that offered a twin stick control scheme.

lutheran

I get what people are saying about spreading out the hits but if they are truly mostly making games for one console now they will have more great titles coming in the Summer and holiday season. IMO Zelda is NOT enough of a beloved title for gamers who are not Nintendo crazy like we are. You can't hold back Mario, look at what just happened with the iOS version of Mario. Now is the perfect time for them to strike and get some of those casual players that loved Mario run to turn into Nintendo hardware buyers. And they aren't going to hold back Zelda so IMO both should release day one or within the same month at the very most.

Trevelyan

Banned
So Wii U ports have been discussed a lot, but what 3DS HD remasters would you like to see on Switch?
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds are at the top of the list for me.
I'd also be interested in a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster that offered a twin stick control scheme.
Is personally like to see an OoT remake for the 20th anniversary next year.

Zedark

I would love for the Fire Emblem games to come to Switch one way or another. There are two gens if you can name it that way (Awakening and Fates) that are on the 3ds, so either one (or both) on the Switch would be really nice.

Mario did nothing for the Wii U at the Wii U's launch; Zelda was huge at the Wii's (and Mario Galaxy following the next year didn't seem to hurt it any)
3D Mario is different situation and it was the Wii U.

I don't believe Mario is coming but I feel we can't judge based on the Wii U launching with New Super Mario U.

Dragonquest 7 and 8 on the Switch would be snazzy.

I think we'll get Prey instead of DOOM, the interview with Pete Hines said they weren't thinking about Dishonored 2 because it was already done, but anything else in development is fair game. So I don't think they'd re-release a 9 month old game. But it doesn't explain Skyrim...
As some other poster reminded us recently, it seems like at one point Switch was seriously planned for late 2016, and thus that we shouldn't be surprised to see some late 2016 third party games due to that. Skyrim SE would fit that idea.
Trevelyan said:
Is personally like to see an OoT remake for the 20th anniversary next year.
Considering we only have to look as far back as their current portable system to see an Ocarina of Time remake, I doubt another one is coming anytime soon.

watershed

Banned
What?

Super Mario Maker is coming to the Switch, almost without any doubt. But probably not at launch. I'm sure they'll add a good deal of new content to make it the definitive edition.

amnesiac

I would absolutely love it if OOT and MM 3D were re-released on the Switch, but I don't see it happening. They would need to be retooled for a non-touch interface and have significant graphical upgrades for TV play. They look wonderful on Citra so this is possible...

I think we're more likely to see N64 Virtual Console releases of them.

sanstesy

He didn't specify 3D Mario. Even so, the 2D games sell better.

My point was merely that you don't need Mario to be a success at launch, and Zelda's proven it can fill the role

But if that Europe delay is true there is hardly any good reason to use Zelda at launch if you got to choose one game at launch which they most likely will.

Zedark

if she corrected something it means it was wrong before.
okay, lets see Mario at launch then, i'd be soooo happy to eat crow on that one.

Yeah, true, you can look at it that way. It is physically impossible for all information someone leaks to always be correct, either because the intel was wrong or because the situation changed or is rather complicated. As for the Zelda case, she mentions there are two different versions of the story from within Nintendo (NOA vs. NOE) mentioning different launch dates. If she finds out that this discrepancy exists, it is only commendable of her to report it.

You can take this situation, reduce it to the statement "she was wrong about Zelda" and use that to question all her leaks (even if she has a stellar track record outside of this Zelda situation), but that feels unfair to me.

jmizzal

What?

Mario Maker is coming, but I could see it coming around Dec. with a lot of new content and by that time everybody will be ready to buy it again, or they can call it Mario Maker 2 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom