• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanstesy

The problem is "letting third parties carry the launch" failed on both the Wii U & 3DS.

I trust Nintendo will strike a good balance, but I think both Zelda & Mario at launch is overkill. I expect 3-4 games (Zelda, Splatoon: Stay Fresh Edition, new IP, and possibly a smaller title). Steady stream of 1st party games after that.

No one is saying they should just let third-parties have launch games and I agree with you on the second point.

Just that, for example, having Skyrim and Breath of the Wild at launch is a super bad idea if you want Bethesda to further support your platform. Which is why I think launching with 3D Mario first and Zelda releasing in summer is a way better idea & general business decision for everyone involved.

Trevelyan

Banned
I ad completely forgot about a Mario Sports Superstars getting a Switch port. Can't remember where I read it, but I'm actually super excited if it does. Mario sports games have always epitomized summer for me.

ASIS

Personally speaking, if both Zelda and Mario launch with the Switch I'll buy both without question. But I wouldn't open Mario until I am completely done with Breath of the Wild.

In short, if Zelda is scheduled for launch, Mario will mean nothing to me. It would make zero difference if it launches in march or in may. To me it's the same.

Jerm411

I wonder how quick we'll see indies flood in too...could supplement big releases until the holiday season.

I'm personally very excited about a lot of indies we've already seen on Vita, etc. possibly come to the Switch.

Personally speaking, if both Zelda and Mario launch with the Switch I'll buy both without question. But I wouldn't open Mario until I am completely done with Breath of the Wild.

In short, if Zelda is scheduled for launch, Mario will mean nothing to me. It would make zero difference if it launches in march or in may. To me it's the same.

Same here. It's Zelda above everything, even my job, I'm taking days off.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Didn't preorders go live the day of the september wiiu event? I would expect the same with this.

I'm not sure but stores would be closed for people who live in North America so I would imagine that it might be for best for everyone if it's on Jan 13 morning.

LordKano

My prediction line-up for the first year :

March : Super Mario Switcharoo : Electric Bogaloo / The Legend of Zelda : Breast of the Wild / Mario vs Rabbids : War in Mushroom Kingdom / Splatwoon / Skyrim : Downgrade Edition / Taken 7 / South Park : The fractured but completely censored hole / Just Dance Who Cares '17 / NBA 2K17 PS3 version / Lego's Dirt Truth Uncovered / more third-parties nobody cares about

April : Completely Incredible New IP Wow Such Innovation / Mario Kart 8 Story / Mario & Friends doing golf / Guardians of the (not mario) Galaxy / Dat Silver Case.

May : Super Mario Maker : Third Time's the Charm / Super Smash Bros V(ersion Switch) : The Phantom Character / Something Wario-related because why not

June : Xenoblade Chronicles X Bigger Text Edition / Sonic Mania Porta

July : Pikmin (I didn't find any bad joke sorry) / the third-party game nobody will care about that will release this month

August : who releases games in august

September : Pokémon Reach For the Stars

October : A Sonic game that will suck like usual / Dark Souls III fps edition / Dragon Quest XI : In Search of Departed Engine

November : Bayonetta 3 (yes)

December : F-Zero UX by Retro Studios.

I'd say it's an ok line-up

Mariolee

Guys seriously wth, Mario was never a launch game, hell it probably is a 2018 game!

Zelda was always the Switch flagship launch title.

There's no way it's a 2018 game. I'm guessing either at launch like rumors have suggested or failing that it becomes a holiday title.

oti

Banned

My plan as far as we know and as far as I want to speculate for launch:

- Premium bundle with Splat2n
- Zelda
- Whatever the Nintendo Land-ish game will end up being, could be a lot of fun with my cousin and god daughter
- Mario X Rabbids RPG
- Switch Sports IF it features Tennis

Neoxon

My plan as far as we know and as far as I want to speculate for launch:

- Premium bundle with Splat2n
- Zelda
- Whatever Nintendo Land-ish game will end up being, could be a lot of fun with my cousin and god daughter
- Mario X Rabbids RPG
- Switch Sports IF it features Tennis
  • Based on what we've heard, the new Splatoon is an enhanced port of the Wii U game, not a sequel.
  • Maybe we'll get a Switch Sports, but it's far from certain. Same for another Nintendo Land-esque game.

Scrawnton

My prediction line-up for the first year :

March : Super Mario Switcharoo : Electric Bogaloo / The Legend of Zelda : Breast of the Wild / Mario vs Rabbids : War in Mushroom Kingdom / Splatwoon / Skyrim : Downgrade Edition / Taken 7 / South Park : The fractured but completely censored hole / Just Dance Who Cares '17 / NBA 2K17 PS3 version / Lego's Dirt Truth Uncovered / more third-parties nobody cares about

I'd say it's an ok line-up

I appreciate the humor in suggesting this or the kiddy Nintendo meme, but Ubisoft would just not port it if it had to be censored. So I'm assuming you're just joking :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
"Mario is a 2018 game."

IHCnUan.gif

LordKano

I appreciate the humor in suggesting this or the kiddy Nintendo meme, but Ubisoft would just not port it if it had to be censored. So I'm assuming you're just joking :p

I'm deadly serious. My whole list is deadly serious. How dare you not taking me seriously.

Phoenixus

He's probably making light of how the previous south park game was censored for Europe. That will probably happen again for all formats.

Neoxon

what's the difference?
  • They aren't starting from the ground-up.
  • Most, if not all, of the first game's stages are likely to be ported over.
Same thing for MK8 & Smash 4. They'll have upgrades, but they'll fundamentally be the same games as their Wii U counterparts,

Scrawnton

What do you mean?
It was done for months but they delayed it and released it in February to make sure Wii U had a game three months after Mario 3D World and three months before Mario Kart 8. Man, looking back on it I realize how bad we had it with Wii U. Truly the worst of times for Big N fans.

He's probably making light of how the previous south park game was censored for Europe. That will probably happen again for all formats.

Didn't they censor the first game in Australia?

Did they censor anything outside of the
abortion
stuff?

• They aren't starting from the ground-up.
  • Most, if not all, of the first game's stages are likely to be ported over.

none of these two points speak against a sequel. you rarely start from ground-up with sequels.
Mario Galaxy 2 would be a port then if it came out on a different console.

It was done for months but they delayed it and released it in February to make sure Wii U had a game three months after Mario 3D World and three months before Mario Kart 8. Man, looking back on it I realize how bad we had it with Wii U. Truly the worst of times for Big N fans.
Ahh thank you I wasn't sure if they were waiting with the idea for the game before entering development or what.

18-Volt

Do you guys think there will be any Japanese exclusive titles at launch? Remember Wii U had absolutely no Japanese exclusive games at launch but 3DS had just one: Layton 5.

oti

Banned
  • Based on what we've heard, the new Splatoon is an enhanced port of the Wii U game, not a sequel.
  • Maybe we'll get a Switch Sports, but it's far from certain. Same for another Nintendo Land-esque game.

It won't be just "Splatoon but on the Switch". It will be the next Splatoon. That would make the most sense at least. I expect new gear, new modes, new mechanics. The story mode however I don't know. That could go either way.

Switch Sports is my own assumption. The Joy-Con track movement. Boxing or Tennis needs movement. Switch Sports or something like this will be there on day one.

hatchx

Banned
I've been lurking this thread all day and finally want to chime in,

I think the idea of Zelda and 3D Mario at launch is....insane. Twitter rumours be damned, it just isn't smart on Nintendo's part of overshadow 3rd party releases. It also allows them to continually polish one of them and give it a dedicated release window with the proper marketing.

It's not that they couldn't market both at once, but a big 3D Mario launch in summer or fall, with lots of website press, journalist hands-on, reviews, pre-orders - it all just helps the Switch's overall mindshare.

And with the amount of Zelda we've seen in the press (E3, VGAs, Jimmy Fallon) it makes sense as a launch title. As others have mentioned, it's also a key title for a more hardcore, early adopter audience where 3D Mario is better with kids, families, and Christmas.

With that said, I think it's more than a safe bet that Nintendo will have more than one 1st part launch title, and one of them most certainly will include local multiplayer to showcase the multi-joy-con co-op. I strongly predict that. And, in all honesty, I'm surprised Mario Kart is not the obvious choice for a launch title in that regard.

Mario Kart makes perfect sense. The MK team has had enough time to enhance MK8, MK is the biggest seller on WiiU and Wii, with lot's of mass appeal and brand recognition. It shows off the new joy-con multiplayer, and maybe they will sell a bundle with the car-adapter thing? Honestly, MK8, Zelda (and Splatoon? only because rumoured) are the perfect launch titles, and they leave some breathing room for third parties.

Yagami_Sama

Monster Hunter XX, for Switch. Would be a good reason to buy a Japanese system at launch and the same goes for some Yakuza game.

Neoxon

none of these two points speak against a sequel. you rarely start from ground-up with sequels.
Mario Galaxy 2 would be a port then if it came out on a different console.
It'd be like calling Skyrim Remastered a sequel. A lot was added, but it's effectively the same game.

LordKano

It'd be like calling Skyrim Remastered a sequel. A lot was added, but it's effectively the same game.

Actually nothing was "added" to Skyrim Special Edition. The content is literally the exact same (DLC included), they only remade the graphics.

Scrawnton

Ahh thank you I wasn't sure if they were waiting with the idea for the game before entering development or what.
Yeah Nintendo does this all the time. They released Yoshi's Whooly Wold in July 2015 in Europe but sat on it in America until October just to make it seem like Wii U had a big holiday. Nintendo is crazy with how they position games, even breaking global releases for it.

I think the idea of Zelda and 3D Mario at launch is....insane. Twitter rumours be damned, it just isn't smart on Nintendo's part of overshadow 3rd party releases. It also allows them to continually polish one of them and give it a dedicated release window with the proper marketing.

It's not that they couldn't market both at once, but a big 3D Mario launch in summer or fall, with lots of website press, journalist hands-on, reviews, pre-orders - it all just helps the Switch's overall mindshare.

And with the amount of Zelda we've seen in the press (E3, VGAs, Jimmy Fallon) it makes sense as a launch title. As others have mentioned, it's also a key title for a more hardcore, early adopter audience where 3D Mario is better with kids, families, and Christmas.

With that said, I think it's more than a safe bet that Nintendo will have more than one 1st part launch title, and one of them most certainly will include local multiplayer to showcase the multi-joy-con co-op. I strongly predict that. And, in all honesty, I'm surprised Mario Kart is not the obvious choice for a launch title in that regard.

Mario Kart makes perfect sense. The MK team has had enough time to enhance MK8, MK is the biggest seller on WiiU and Wii, with lot's of mass appeal and brand recognition. It shows off the new joy-con multiplayer, and maybe they will sell a bundle with the car-adapter thing? Honestly, MK8, Zelda (and Splatoon? only because rumoured) are the perfect launch titles, and they leave some breathing room for third parties.

Those are literally the only 3 first party titles I want for launch. I would buy all 3 in a heartbeat!

Neoxon

But that's the thing. As far as we know, Mario Kart 8 Switch isn't a launch title. Splatoon Switch is the only Day 1 enhanced Wii U port based on what we know right now.

your comparing a story heavy open world game to a multiplayer game.
if you introduce new gameplay elements, new modes, stages and weapons--- that's basically all you need for a proper sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom