• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can take this situation, reduce it to the statement "she was wrong about Zelda" and use that to question all her leaks (even if she has a stellar track record outside of this Zelda situation), but that feels unfair to me.

being wrong about zelda has a domino effect, it knocks out the mario at launch prediction too (again, happy to be wrong). which would mean she barely had anything correct in terms of SW launch lineup. i questioned her SW leaks in my post.

All we can go by are the rumours we have at hand where one source says it will be at launch in NA and one in Europe says it won't plus 3D Mario is already a done game.

I'd put more stock in the much more recent rumors, especially given Emily now backing it too. Zelda just makes sense; Mario is not going to come out a mere two months after the official reveal, regardless of how "done" it is

Portugeezer

That's even if we get Metroid & F-Zero on Year 1, which I'm not so sure about.

I'm thinking that Nintendo's only gonna have Zelda & the enhanced Splatoon port on Day 1. Maybe they'll have more games that we don't know about, but having both Zelda & Mario on Day 1 (as awesome as it would be) is overkill & wouldn't bode well for any other games at launch or for the even spread of first party titles throughout the year. You gotta spread the love throughout the year.
It's fine as long as Nintendo keeps marketing it, which they usually do even with older games.

Zedark

being wrong about zelda has a domino effect, it knocks out the mario at launch prediction too (again, happy to be wrong). which would mean she barely had anything correct in terms of SW launch lineup. i questioned her SW leaks in my post.

Not really, there is no necessity for Mario and Zelda to launch on different dates, though I agree that it would be more tactical to release them on different dates.

sanstesy

I'd put more stock in the much more recent rumors, especially given Emily now backing it too. Zelda just makes sense; Mario is not going to come out a mere two months after the official reveal, regardless of how "done" it is

Emily backed it too? Hmm.

Again, this thread has become a mess.

nintendo doesn't shy away from putting finished titles on ice to space the releases out, i can see Mario being the backup title in case Zelda had tech issues, maybe that's where those rumours came from.

Not really, there is no necessity for Mario and Zelda to launch on different dates, though I agree that it would be more tactical to release them on different dates.

her and Emily went quiet on the Mario info now that they say Zelda is launch despite being asked constantly on twitter, i think that's telling.

oti

Banned
Again, what trips me up the most about the rumours is that the leakers broke their own logic.

One day Mario almost didn't make the reveal trailer because it wasn't stable enough and the other day the game is done and ready for launch. What?

I've been pretty clear about why the Zelda delay never made much sense.

But just to be clear, I don't think all they say is wrong and at no moment am I accusing them of being intentionally wrong. Some things just don't add up.

I would absolutely love it if OOT and MM 3D were re-released on the Switch, but I don't see it happening. They would need to be retooled for a non-touch interface and have significant graphical upgrades for TV play. They look wonderful on Citra so this is possible...

I think we're more likely to see N64 Virtual Console releases of them.

It wouldn't be that hard... The games are remasters of games that weren't made with touch controls in mind. The graphics don't need that much of an overhaul either, just clean up some of the textures.

As some other poster reminded us recently, it seems like at one point Switch was seriously planned for late 2016, and thus that we shouldn't be surprised to see some late 2016 third party games due to that. Skyrim SE would fit that idea.

I was going to mention that, but it doesn't explain Dishonored 2, which came out after Skyrim. Unless it was just easier to port Skyrim due it already being a port and not having to be built from the ground up like Dishonored 2.

Raet

her and Emily went quiet on the Mario info now that they say Zelda is launch despite being asked constantly on twitter, i think that's telling.
Presumably, they're thinking what we're thinking, which is that they can't have both Zelda and 3D Mario at launch. Despite their info indicating that Mario is finished.

Hopefully this EU delay (if it ends up that way) doesn't mean all we're getting in Europe is Splatoon and the Mario/Rabbids game...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Let's see.

Launch: Zelda, Mario 3d, Splatoon bundled, Skyrim, Mario&Rabbids, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies

April: Some 1st party new IP on the cheaper side (maybe Mario Sports Superstar), Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies

May: Mario Kart 8.5, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy

June: Xenoblade XX

July: Pikmin 4

August: Ever Oasis

September: SSB

October: ?, Project Sonic

November: Pokemon Stars

Edit: somewhere there should be an AC or FE follow up to the mobile game launching.

ultrazilla

So Switch NeoGAF, what's the latest on Switch? Any leaks or rumors? What the heck is going on with talk the system is now weaker than a Wii? Surely that is just subtle trolling?

Zelda at launch? New 3D(Cough...MARIO Galaxy 3...cough) MARIO delayed and won't make launch?

Hard to get a handle on this. It's a perfect storm of possible truths thrown into a hurricane of speculation and rumors!!

Edit Kingsnake-I'll go out on a limb and add Metroid Switch, an upgraded Starfox Zero Switch and new Pilot Wings Switch for sometime this year. I also think Metroid Prime Switch will be the huge Switch reveal at E3.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Zelda likely to be available at launch, Mother 3 VC Switch in Q2 2017, some hint by Liam Robertson and NateDrake about a new Metroid game, and Liam Robertson saying 3d Mario will be at launch.

Thsnk you
Hard to believe about metroid di unless it is a #FE january '13

So Switch NeoGAF, what's the latest on Switch? Any leaks or rumors? What the heck is going on with talk the system is now weaker than a Wii? Surely that is just subtle trolling?

Zelda at launch? New 3D(Cough...MARIO Galaxy 3...cough) MARIO delayed and won't make launch?

Hard to get a handle on this. It's a perfect storm of possible truths thrown into a hurricane of speculation and rumors!!
It's too much.

Jan 12 can't come soon enough

Kandinsky

Guys seriously wth, Mario was never a launch game, hell it probably is a 2018 game!

Zelda was always the Switch flagship launch title.

Yeah, this. These games have the potential to be two of the biggest selling Switch games throughout its entire lifespan, so Nintendo won't do anything to mess that up.

Uh, no not really. Zelda and 3D Mario games aren't typically the biggest first party sellers. Mario Kart and Smash on the other hand are.

Zelda and Mario are system sellers though.

Mario and Zelda won't cannibalise each other because they have long legs. What they would cannibalise would be the Switch stock if Nintendo is not able to satisfy the demand.

Yep, very true. I'm starting to think the "2 million units worldwide" by the end of March doesn't mesh well with Mario and Zelda at launch. But I wouldn't be surprised either way really.

I don't know, Nintendo may be willing to launch with Mario/Zelda/Splatoon all on day one just to be able to present the image of "yes, content is coming, and LOTS of it". The single biggest danger to the Switch would be gamers worrying about Wii U style software droughts, so having a crazy strong launch and a packed timeline for the first year will basically cut that argument off at the pass.

Conventional wisdom might suggest that all this software will fight over their different chunks of the pie, but Nintendo is well aware of the fact that their software has sales legs long after the traditional launch window. Nintendo may have decided that dispelling any possible narrative about software support would be worth each of their titles cannibalizing each other a bit at launch, with the expectation that in the long term it would be made up by more people deciding NOT to hold off on buying the Switch.

Nintendo knows, after Wii U, that they need to drive that install base above all else. Install base means both more third party support and more people to sell their software to.

I agree with a lot of this, barring the supply issue I mentioned above. But the fact is (seems to be, anyway) that Nintendo could indeed get Mario and Zelda out at launch and still have a big new game out every month of the year. The fact that they're finally in a situation like that is fantastic honestly.

Guys seriously wth, Mario was never a launch game, hell it probably is a 2018 game!

Zelda was always the Switch flagship launch title.
I think it's a holiday 2017 title. If not that what are they going to market during the holiday season? Games that came out at launch?

Let's see.

Launch: Zelda, Mario 3d, Splatoon bundled, Skyrim, Mario&Rabbids, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies

April: Some 1st party new IP on the cheaper side (maybe Mario Sports Superstar), Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies

May: Mario Kart 8.5, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy

Edit: somewhere there should be an AC or FE follow up to the mobile game launching.

Mario Maker and Smash could take over August and October. And I think the new "crazy" IP was supposed to be at launch. Besides those, especially since there are certainly several games we don't know about (like Retro's game) this is a pretty nice looking list to start with.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Mario Maker and Smash could take over August and October. And I think the new "crazy" IP was supposed to be at launch.

I think the new crazy IP can slip into the second month if Zelda and Mario 3d are already there and seeing how Mario and Rabbids is rumoured to take advantage of the advanced rumbles (at least in my interpretation). Which I assume it's also the highlight of the new IP. Rumble, that is.

I think the new crazy IP can slip into the second month if Zelda and Mario 3d are already there and seeing how Mario and Rabbids is rumoured to take advantage of the advanced rumbles (at least in my interpretation). Which I assume it's also the highlight of the new IP. Rumble, that is.

For some reason I never made that connection... that's a good point.

Also for some reason SSB in your list slipped my mind as "Smash". Still, it's missing Mario Maker which Laura seemed confident about.

I just want third parties to get their time. I'm sure Nintendo's content will be more than fine in the first year in terms of quantity and commercial performance.

If Rabbids x Mario is a great success commercially and critically, would you be ready to accept the Rabbids to the Nintendo family?

lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just want third parties to get their time. I'm sure Nintendo's content will be more than fine in the first year in terms of quantity and commercial performance.

Wouldn't be actually better for third parties to get a big install base before their top of the season hit? They have anyhow late ports for launch.

sanstesy

Wouldn't be actually better for third parties to get a big install base before their top of the season hit? They have anyhow late ports for launch.

If the third-party games at launch don't sell the big install base will be useless because publishers will think the audience isn't there. Example A: Wii.

I think overshadowing them with big Nintendo titles would be worse. The third parties that are supporting Nintendo at launch won't be able to benefit from a bigger install base anyway. They'll have to work with whatever the Switch does in the beginning.

Let's see.

Mario Maker in October.

People are forgetting this system will have the usual 3DS development teams behind it too. A lot of surprises in store at the event imo.

thefro

If the third-party games at launch don't sell the big install base will be useless because publishers will think the audience isn't there. Example A: Wii.

The problem is "letting third parties carry the launch" failed on both the Wii U & 3DS.

I trust Nintendo will strike a good balance, but I think both Zelda & Mario at launch is overkill. I expect 3-4 games (Zelda, Splatoon: Stay Fresh Edition, new IP, and possibly a smaller title). Steady stream of 1st party games after that.

AgeEighty

If Mario really is finished, I see it coming out over the summer. I don't see them sitting on it until the holidays, but neither do I see them cannibalizing Zelda with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom