• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

As someone who bought a WiiU on launch (and a Wii, and a Gamecube, etc...) that's a terribly disappointing list. Holy shit.

I'm really hoping either Mario really delivers, and we get a surprise big-budget IP release, too.

For someone without a WiiU, it's solid. But my thinking is that if the game didn't get people to buy a WiiU, why will it get them to buy a Switch?

I honest to goodness can't understand how anyone could be excited for ANOTHER port of Skyrim. That will likely run more poorly than it does on systems already released.

It'd only a list about the games we already know about, not a full list. Expect things like Retro Studio's game to fit in it, and more 3rd party.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I genuinely question the taste (or memory) of someone who thinks Wii U had a better first nine months than this.

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I worded that terribly.

If you own a WiiU, the Switch launch is shit.

As an aside, the N64 and Gamecube had a better first year.

Yeah, I agree... the wiiU launch sucked.

As someone who bought a WiiU on launch (and a Wii, and a Gamecube, etc...) that's a terribly disappointing list. Holy shit.

I'm really hoping either Mario really delivers, and we get a surprise big-budget IP release, too.

For someone without a WiiU, it's solid. But my thinking is that if the game didn't get people to buy a WiiU, why will it get them to buy a Switch?

I honest to goodness can't understand how anyone could be excited for ANOTHER port of Skyrim. That will likely run more poorly than it does on systems already released.

I think thats pretty exciting, specially for a first year.

Baleoce

So, let's update this prediction list.

Launch: Zelda, Mario 3d, Splatoon bundled, Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies

April: Some 1st party new IP on the cheaper side (maybe Mario Sports Superstar), Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies

May: Mario Kart 8.5, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy

June: Xenoblade XX, Rayman Legends

July: Pikmin 4

August: Super Mario Maker, Ever Oasis

September: Rabbids Kingdom Battle

October: SSB, Project Sonic

November: Pokemon Stars
Looks good. I wonder if there'll be a pokken switch edition also.

NSESN

Guys, i was thinking, LKD only talked about Western games and Nintendo games right? So there still are japanese games to leak.I think the only Japanese game rumor was DS3 that is a megaton by itself. Even more strange is the fact is that we heard nothing about the DQ XI or Namco games (I knpow DS3 is technicalyy Namco, but i mean internally developed games).

Oersted

You are repeating your opinion, not turning it into a compelling argument.

Why does it suck?

oti

Banned
I dont think Splatoon is bundled or there will be any bundled game..Whats the point..? You can play any game at home or on the go
Get people to create a Nintendo account.
Get people to play online and show other publishers there's an online crowd (Nintendo is traditionally the offline platform in many peoples' eyes).
Get people to play Splatoon (it's a new IP and as successful as it was on Wii U, it still has to prove itself).
Give people a game with constant events and updates they can always play.

jmizzal

He kind of has a point. No launch game by the looks of it.

I doubt thats all thats coming from Ubisoft, Rayman is prob just a digital game, BG&E 2 is a year away and the source says Rabbits x Mario might come out in Sept.

For launch Ubisoft might have For Honor and Ghost Recon wild lands

We heard one game got canned due to it bombing on PS4/One which is prob Steep.

Ubisoft may also have Watch_Dogs 2

Just cuz something has not leaked, does not mean its not coming.

random25

Guys, i was thinking, LKD only talked about Western games and Nintendo games right? So there still are japanese games to leak.I think the only Japanese game rumor was DS3 that is a megaton by itself. Even more strange is the fact is that we heard nothing about the DQ XI or Namco games (I knpow DS3 is technicalyy Namco, but i mean internally developed games).

Nobody is talking about what they are going to release on Switch in general. Everything we know are all rumors of the ones being showcased in seconds during the Switch reveal trailer.

Get people to create a Nintendo account.
Get people to play online and show other publishers there's an online crowd (Nintendo is traditionally the offline platform in many people's eyes).
Get people to play Splatoon (it's a new IP and as successful as it was on Wii U, it still has to prove itself).
Give people a game with constant events and updates they can always play.

You gonna end up doing that anyways.. I really dont believe theres a bundle and Im gonna stick with that

3D Mario still doesn't need to be a launch title.

Just remember the subpar launch the Wii U had with NSMBU and it sold out quickly.

BotW will sell the 2 million on its own. 3D Mario can be saved for another month or two.

Reposting from another thread.

So guys have been doing some research and I came to a conclusion. I am not sure how muc this has been discussed here. Looking at the Nvidia shield products they are so similar to the switch. Is it possible Nintendo basically said Nvidia do your thing make the from a hardware perspective what you invisioned for your next shield product. Yes our name will be on it and we will do the marketing and such. Now this has benefits for both companies. Obviously revenue for both of them. I have a co worker that has a shield and he plans on buying the switch just because it Nvidia handling the specs. He loved his shield tablet and when I showed him the announcement video he was like yeah day 1. Could this device get those Nvidia customer that were waiting on the next shield product? Also reference third parties this could help Nintendo. If Nvidia went to third parties and said we are doing the tech think of this as the next Nvidia gaming machine instead of the next Nintendo machine. That could help a bunch with getting third parties on board. Just look at the games that were available for shield portable and tablet. I think it was a smart move for nintendo to get Nvidia on board this may pay off big time.

No. Nintendo do had a very heavy hand in the design of the chip, without a doubt. From what we know, what's in the switch will likely be 'weaker' in a sense than any new shield Nvidia makes anyway. The most important aspect of the Nvidia partnership is all the tools and API that come bundled with it. Video games are 10% ideas and 90% execution. What Nintendo bought into, and according to early rumors at a very good price) was that software library and support. Every step that helps make games easier to develop, makes them cheaper and more feasible to appear on switch.

To be fair, we should wait until the 12th to be the judge of that, i would hope we haven't heard everything yet.

If these predictions are accurate, in the first six months I'll own...
-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Mario
-Skyrim
-Tekken 7
-Splatoon Switch
-Mario Kart Switch
-Rayman Legends
-Lego City Undercover
-Xenoblade Chronicles X
-Mother 3
-buncha GCN VC games
-buncha indie Games

That's a damn fine launch window. Really excited to see some stuff that we don't know about.

jmizzal

People getting disappointed about the presentation even before the presentation happened.

You all should really just wait the nine days. We waited the last two years for infos so this isn't too hard.

Lol exactly, freaking out over leaked games as if its official launch lineup really makes no sense at all, just wait for the 12th geez people.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You are repeating your opinion, not turning it into a compelling argument.

Why does it suck?

I have a WiiU. So far, every rumored Switch title that is either 1) not 3+ years old, or 2) not likely to be an obvious AA, small-budget title, is a game I already own or a sports title. The one exception is Mario, of course.

Zelda is HUGE. It's the single reason I'll buy a Switch - I'll be there Day One. But we were promised this on the WiiU ages ago. And now it might be coming to that system later.

If you own a WiiU, there's not a lot to get hyped about outside Zelda (which you'll get anyway) and a new Mario. God forbid you also own a PS4 - then there's practically nothing new.

Nobody gives a shit about Rabbids.

EDIT: That said, these are all rumors. I'm more than open to being surprised! I hope there's more we don't know about - and that would make my whole issue invalid.

Pachimari

Why would someone who owned a Wii U be hyped for Wii U ports and subpar third party games?
I can follow your logic. Hopefully they got a few surprises for launch.

Japan.

Also having Splatoon with maximum install base and use it as a "game as a service" down the line.
This. Splatoon needs to come bundled, so it can be developed into a game as service kind of deal and they could grow a huge community.

Spy

I want the Nintendo Switch as much as everyone else but I don't know why some of you are excited for third party games on the Switch, if Dark Souls 3 and Skyrim struggle on the PlayStation 4, I can only imagine how they'd look and perform on the Switch.

oti

Banned
You gonna end up doing that anyways.. I really dont believe theres a bundle and Im gonna stick with that

I see your point and I think you're right. It doesn't NEED to be bundled. I just think Nintendo wants to jump-start the online community and no better game to do that than the next Splatoon game. Mario Kart will just be a port with Battle Mode. That's not enough. Splatoon however could do wonders for the entire platform.

sanstesy

I can't talk for others, but BotW and a 3D Mario wouldn't excite me. I'm no Nintendo fan though, I'm rather a fan of games in general.

What does this even mean? A fan of games in general is very likely a fan of Mario & Zelda games. This has nothing to do with being a Nintendo fan. Being a fan of games in general doesn't in any way exclude Nintendo games.

Zedark

Are we sure we are getting this price? That would be awesome. I mean 250 for Zelda and console.

It is tricky to call. LKD said it would be priced at 199 pounds for the basic Switch SKU, which always used to translate to a $250 price tag, but maybe the price will be lower for US (and EU) due to the pound's weak position. In that case, maybe $200 or $220 would be possible. Adding Zelda for $60 (assuming they do that pricing for games) brings you close ($260 and $280). We don't know this, and we also don't know the pricing for games.
I want the Nintendo Switch as much as everyone else but I don't know why some of you are excited for third party games on the Switch, if Dark Souls 3 and Skyrim struggle on the PlayStation 4, I can only imagine how they'd look and perform on the Switch.
Some people (like me) find the portability aspect attractive enough to overlook the (significantly) lower graphical fidelity (frame rate should of course be reasonably good).

VDenter

Banned
Correct me if i am wrong but I dont think Miyamoto ever said they are working on "Pikmin 4" For all we know he might have been referring to the 3DS game.

I have €400 budgeted for the switch. With that I'm hoping to get whatever the 'deluxe' switch bundle ends up being, and at least 2 games, hopefully Mario +Zelda/Splatoon if its not a pack in.

Pachimari

What does this even mean? A fan of games in general is very likely a fan of Mario & Zelda games. This has nothing to do with being a Nintendo fan.
All I said was that I am not getting hyped by those two titles. Somebody said it was basically "weird" that one wouldn't be hyped for these, which I disagree with. Nothing weird about it.

Skel1ingt0n

If these predictions are accurate, in the first six months I'll own...
-Zelda Breath of the Wild. - Yep, Day One; but it was originally a WiiU title
-Mario - Yep, Awesome
-Skyrim - Own it on PS3, on PC, and on PS4
-Tekken 7 - Own it already
-Splatoon Switch - Own it already
-Mario Kart Switch - Own it already
-Rayman Legends - Own it on Vita and PC
-Lego City Undercover - Available at WiiU's launch
-Xenoblade Chronicles X - Own it
-Mother 3 - Own it, but I admit that's pretty unique
-buncha GCN VC games, can't see this being a reason to buy a new system in 2017
-buncha indie Games, Steam is free and most Indies can be had for $3-$10 during sales for the last decade

That's a damn fine launch window. Really excited to see some stuff that we don't know about.

I don't want to take away from your excitement - honest! Glad you're pumped. But for me, I've put my comments above. As a WiiU owner and a gamer in general (I would assume at least a significant portion of those in this thread), I don't think my situation is that unique.

Oersted

Why would someone who owned a Wii U be hyped for Wii U ports and subpar third party games?

Which one of those is a subpar thirdparty game:

Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies, Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy, Rayman Legends, Ever Oasis,Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Project Sonic

Which one of those is a Wii U port:

Mario 3d,Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies,Mario Sports Superstar, Yooka-Laylee, Tekken 7, indies, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy, Pikmin 4, Ever Oasis, Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Project Sonic, Pokemon Stars

Neoxon

I don't want to take away from your excitement - honest! Glad you're pumped. But for me, I've put my comments above. As a WiiU owner and a gamer in general (I would assume at least a significant portion of those in this thread), I don't think my situation is that unique.
Tekken 7 isn't even out on consoles, yet.

Lgndryhr

I am excited for the switch and hopeful Nintendo gets this one right. Was disappointed in the Wii despite buying it day 1 and buying a lot of games (both ports and originals). I regret some days selling it since I had A LOT of VC titles that I can never get again. Felt like wasted money. Wish Nintendo had a system like PS or MS do with digital games tied to profile or account. Do we know if they will or have we heard anything yet? I think that is my biggest hangup this go around. This console will get me to buy digital titles only because it is a mobile home console. I prefer physical discs for traditional home consoles. I may wait on getting one if they do not do this and hope for a great Black Friday / holiday deal. I skipped the Wii U completely and have no regrets with all of these ports for the Switch.

sanstesy

All I said was that I am not getting hyped by those two titles. Somebody said it was basically "weird" that one wouldn't be hyped for these, which I disagree with. Nothing weird about it.

Nothing weird about not liking certain games, what is weird is saying that you are "a fan of games in general" and then use that as a reason why you don't like certain games. It's indeed a very weird argument.

LordKano

Correct me if i am wrong but I dont think Miyamoto ever said they are working on "Pikmin 4" For all we know he might have been referring to the 3DS game.

He was explicitly referring to the next installment in the Pikmin serie, so not a weird 3ds spin-off.

oti

Banned

You own Tekken 7?
You actually own a Japanese Arcade Machine?

Damn, bruh. Can I come over to play it? I'll bring beer.

MacTag

Banned
For Japanese 3rd party leaks we have:

Multiple Namco Bandai games in development (Dr. Serkan Toto)
The Silver Case HD in 1st six months (LKD)
Dark Souls III port up and running, possibly a Trilogy release later on (LKD)
Bloodstained moving from Wii U to Switch (Shocking Alberto)

For official announcements or comments we have:

Dragon Quest X & XI (Square Enix)
Nobunaga's Albition series (Koei Tecmo)
Project Sonic 2017 (Sega)
Full lineup (Nippon Ichi)
Not interested in mutiplats (Capcom)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
99Ye7YT.gif

We finally make it into single digit now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom