• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

I'd love to be wrong but my gut tells me it's just the Nintendo Land-ish minigame collection and the crazy stuff the leakers have heard about are the weird uses of the Joy-Con in those minigames.

That's the most realistic scenario here even if it's not the most exciting one.

You are stating a gut feeling as fact. That is not being most realistic. Lets wait or ask our duo.

Xiao Hu

Specifically a kind of game that is something that Nintendo "doesn't have"

Minigame collection is something they definitely "have"

First thing that pops into my mind is a FPS. But will they try a cartoony style yet again? The market seems to be flooded with those esthetics.

I have the solution that can make everyone happy.

TRAILER BEGINS

We see a cavern, dark, cracked, craggy. A hole in the ground emits a soft orange-red glow.

Footsteps.

We see shiny metal-armored feet. Then a quick cut to black.

"ZEBES" types out on screen.

We cut back, this time to Samus' face. She's peering down the hole. We hear a shrieking roar in the distance, deep down below.

"Ridley," Samus mutters.
Her AI, with a British male voice, speaks to her in her helmet: "Samus, that drop is over 500 feet."

The roar gets louder. It can't just be Ridley.

The AI continues. "There are hundreds down there, thousands."
"I know," Samus says stoically.
"It's not possible."
"No," Samus shakes her head. "It's necessary."

Samus jumps, morphs into a morph ball, and flies down the hole.

We cut to the cavern floor, where the morph ball hits the ground. A plume of lava spirals up in the distance.

We hear footsteps rapidly approaching.

Suddenly, a cleat kicks the ball. Shredding guitars kick in.
We see a Toad leap up to gain control of the ball, but Luigi slide tackles him and stares him down as the Toad falls to the floor.

Luigi laughs and kicks the ball forward, where a Koopa Troopa is waiting. He does a one-shot pass over to Dry Bones, who kicks it at the seemingly open goal...

Boom. A claw grabs the morph ball from the air, just before it passes in the net. We zoom back. It's Ridley, who lets out a mighty roar before throwing the ball back in play, back at the camera.

The morph ball shatters the screen.

"MARIO STRIKERS: WORLD TOUR"
"Winter 2017"

I have the solution that can make everyone happy.

TRAILER BEGINS

We see a cavern, dark, cracked, craggy. A hole in the ground emits a soft orange-red glow.

Footsteps.

We see shiny metal-armored feet. Then a quick cut to black.

"ZEBES" types out on screen.

We cut back, this time to Samus' face. She's peering down the hole. We hear a shrieking roar in the distance, deep down below.

"Ridley," Samus mutters.
Her AI, with a British male voice, speaks to her in her helmet: "Samus, that drop is over 500 feet."

The roar gets louder. It can't just be Ridley.

The AI continues. "There are hundreds down there, thousands."
"I know," Samus says stoically.
"It's not possible."
"No," Samus shakes her head. "It's necessary."

Samus jumps, morphs into a morph ball, and flies down the hole.

We cut to the cavern floor, where the morph ball hits the ground. A plume of lava spirals up in the distance.

We hear footsteps rapidly approaching.

Suddenly, a cleat kicks the ball. Shredding guitars kick in.
We see a Toad leap up to gain control of the ball, but Luigi slide tackles him and stares him down as the Toad falls to the floor.

Luigi laughs and kicks the ball forward, where a Koopa Troopa is waiting. He does a one-shot pass over to Dry Bones, who kicks it at the seemingly open goal...

Boom. A claw grabs the morph ball from the air, just before it passes in the net. We zoom back. It's Ridley, who lets out a mighty roar before throwing the ball back in play, back at the camera.

The morph ball shatters the screen.

"MARIO STRIKERS: WORLD TOUR"
"Winter 2017"
Was that a interstellar reference?

oti

Banned
Again, I said I'd love to be wrong but eh. We'll see. I just find it difficult to see Nintendo releasing so many of their IPs at launch. If we're talking launch games here at all that is. Maybe that crazy IP isn't even coming out at launch. Don't know.

According to Emily it's an new IP more like splatoon (proper full game) than a minigame collection IP
Didn't she say something like "it's new, think like 'Splatoon new'" as in something that Nintendo hasn't done before? That's how I interpreted it at least.
You are stating a gut feeling as fact. That is not being most realistic. Lets wait or ask our duo.
Yeah you're right. I don't trust "our duo" that much though tbh.

Specifically a kind of game that is something that Nintendo "doesn't have"

Minigame collection is something they definitely "have"
What if the thing Nintendo "doesn't have" isn't a genre but some of the minigames that are in that collevtion? I don't know, weird Joy-Con uses.

That's his whole schtick if you haven't noticed already.
lol, did you miss the part when I told you how nonsensical those rumours were and just a few days later the leakers corrected themselves? Forgot that one, didn't we.

Nairume

Banned
What if the thing Nintendo "doesn't have" isn't a genre but some of the minigames that are in that collevtion? I don't know, weird Joy-Con uses.
Even if that's the case, I doubt it's something Rogers would hype up as being unique to the company, given that would still describe something like Nintendo Land.

oti

Banned
When I have to decide between the two of them and your ass, pardon guts, I admittingly won't care about the latter.
Understandable. And BTW, I don't mind or care. I'm not a leaker. I'm not asking you to follow me on twitter. I felt the rumours were off and gave actual reasons why I felt they were off and they ended up being off, that's it.

Retrobox

Oh yeah speaking of 4AM, who here is gonna pull an all-nighter for the Switch presentation?

Watching that junk at 5AM and severely fucking my shit up because I've only pulled like 2 all-nighters in all my life. Zero fucks given.

I think 4am.

Which is shit, but at least you can get some decent sleep beforehand and set an alarm for 3:30. I could never do that with Sony's 2am conferences.

Yeah the plan is to sleep before and after. Good thing I have a lat start at Uni that day!

Net

Yeah the plan is to sleep before and after. Good thing I have a lat start at Uni that day!

Unless you plan to stay up and post about it on forums and social media, why is it so important to watch the conference live? It's quite easy to save the link and go to it immediately when you wake up if you want to avoid spoilers. I've done it a few times for Directs.

oti

Banned
In Germany it's 5AM. That's ok. Not great but manageable. I'll catch it live. But if it was even an hour earlier I'd just sleep. It wouldn't be worth it for me.

This is all I need to see in the trailer to get me hyped.

400px-SSB4_Trailer_Intro.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not really a surprise, but word is going around that pre-order open January 13th. (At least at GameStop.)

After games what's most important to you guys? OS? Online? VC? Battery?

In order of importance:
Price
Virtual Console
Battery
OS

Not that online doesn't matter, but I've lived with mediocre Online from Nintendo forever so I'm not getting my hopes up or expect anything to blow my socks off.

I get to watch it in a very comfortable 8PM.

Enough time to watch, see Gaf have meltdowns, Nintendo doom talk and have a good night sleep for School the next day.

Plum

Not really a surprise, but word is going around that pre-order open January 13th. (At least at GameStop.)

Good luck to the yanks. I'm pre-ordering mine as soon as I get back to my Uni town on the 9th which should hopefully get me one on launch day.

Net

In order of importance:
Price
Virtual Console
Battery
OS

Not that online doesn't matter, but I've lived with mediocre Online from Nintendo forever so I'm not getting my hopes up or expect anything to blow my socks off.

I'll live with mediocre online as long as I don't have to pay for it.

The subscription on PSN and Xbox Live are killers for me. Shit, it's not like Valve charges me to use Steam.

Ok, I've read what everyone says about metroid. I believe they will be a Souls game if we get a new Metroid. I think it is more likely we get Metroid Prime HD full remake with a multiplayer mode added on.

But if Nintendo really REALLY wanted to blow people's mind, Metroid should come back as a Gritty, Dark, Teen rated game. Push the teen rating as far as it can go and make it look like this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ufikwk7_AD0

Make Samus a bounty hunter again. No a female master chief.

This would sell systems no doubt!!! Let someone else make a 2d Metroid to appease everyone.

Your welcome Nintendo!

Josh5890

For me it is VC, Price, Online, OS. I really want to have one virtual console machine for everything and not have the slow trickle that the Wii-U was.

I really really hope so. I took off of work next Friday for that reason

Plum

I get to watch it in a very comfortable 8PM.

Enough time to watch, see Gaf have meltdowns, Nintendo doom talk and have a good night sleep for School the next day.

My most anticipated part of GAF on Switchmas are the inevitable slew of posts going "that's it?" and "Nintendo showed nothing!" because of all the leaks somehow vanishing games from existence.

what-ok

Ok, I've read what everyone says about metroid. I believe they will be a Souls game if we get a new Metroid. I think it is more likely we get Metroid Prime HD full remake with a multiplayer mode added on.

But if Nintendo really REALLY wanted to blow people's mind, Metroid should come back as a Gritty, Dark, Teen rated game. Push the teen rating as far as it can go and make it look like this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ufikwk7_AD0

Make Samus a bounty hunter again. No a female master chief.

This would sell systems no doubt!!! Let someone else make a 2d Metroid to appease everyone.

Your welcome Nintendo!
Metroid souls. Winning!!!!

Yagami_Sama

One game that I thought that would get a port to Nintendo Switch was Zelda : Musou Hyrule All-stars. And if Pokemon Stars exists I hope that this should be like Pokemon Stadium for N64.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just want Metroid to be...Metroid. On one hand Nintendo is no longer alone in the Metroidvania design realm and a lot of other developers have produced incredible work (particularly in the indie scene), but I still love the atmosphere and play of Metroid. Less Other M, more Super/Prime. It's a genre gap in style and play that is missing on their hardware.

I'm still surprised the 3DS never saw a Metroid. Not even a remake of Super or Return of Samus.

I just want Metroid to be...Metroid. On one hand Nintendo is no longer alone in the Metroidvania design realm and a lot of other developers have produced incredible work (particularly in the indie scene), but I still love the atmosphere and play of Metroid. Less Other M, more Super/Prime. It's a genre gap in style and play that is missing on their hardware.

I'm still surprised the 3DS never saw a Metroid. Not even a remake of Super or Return of Samus.
I don't get putting Metriod in the same category as Metriodvania.

Metroid is just Metriod. No castelvaina stuff in it. At least that what I feel I when I play the 2D games.

Edit: anybody got any good recommendations for Metroid/Metroidvania games?

Air

Banned

Price
Account system
Os
Battery

The price is going to make or break this thing. I won't buy any VC stuff unless I know I won't have to rebuy them in the future so having an account similar to iOS devices is important to me. The last 3 aren't as important, as long as they're at least why Nintendo offered in the past I'll be fine (free online, minimal os, average to good battery life)

Unless you plan to stay up and post about it on forums and social media, why is it so important to watch the conference live? It's quite easy to save the link and go to it immediately when you wake up if you want to avoid spoilers. I've done it a few times for Directs.

That'd be the sensible thing to do.

But I'd feel dirty not knowing I'm watching it live aha.

Plus I like reading along with neogaf as it unfolds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't get putting Metriod in the same category as Metriodvania.

Metroid is just Metriod. No castelvaina stuff in it. At least that what I feel I when I play the 2D games.

Edit: anybody got any good recommendations for Metroid/Metroidvania games?

I mean it simply as a general form of open game design composed of segmented areas in which the player is tasked with discovering how to progress. Metroid is indeed just Metroid, I agree.

I can't fucking stand when Nintendo use the lame old "we're waiting for fresh ideas" excuse in regards to bringing new Metroid, F-Zero, etc to the market. It's hypocrisy at it's finest. Deny your market franchise diversity, your own franchises, yet bloat them with excessively similar games from other franchises. The Switch needs to remedy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom