• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna assume the GameStop preorders rumor on the 13th is true. That being said, I'm requesting 2 hours of time off that Friday to have time to be done at GameStop before work to preorder.

I remember when GameStop sent out the preorder emails for the Wii. I worked 5 pm until 1 or 2 am and ended up getting about 3 hours of sleep. I woke up with a pounding migraine and stood outside in freezing weather at 7 am waiting for the store to open. It was so worth it though.

The store phone was ringing off the hook while I was in line. Almost every call ended with them telling customers that they were out of preorders.

If I recall correctly, at the time the manager came out before the store opened with a signup sheet.

Playing Wii Sports and Zelda at launch was quite a magical moment in gaming.

I'm going to assume that it's true as well. I already took some PTO time so I can come in late that morning. I just hope my store gets enough pre-orders allocated. I'll be mega bummed if I can't get one at launch.

Anarky

Banned
It's expected though as this is Nintendo we are talking about. Basically anything from them is going to be far less than what a lot of people wanted. Nintendo will cut corners, do things cheaply, ignore whole market segments, throw beloved franchises to the sharks and whatever else fits their narrow view of gaming. These things don't typically sit well with gamers, but Nintendo are really about children and casual gamers where sophistication isn't important, so it's not high on their agenda.

This post reads like it's straight from a wii bashing thread from 2006.

Speely

Banned
This post reads like it's straight from a wii bashing thread from 2006.

But the Switch launch is exactly like the Wii U launch because Nintendo literally learned nothing from the failure of the Wii U and initial success of the Wii because they are just automatons with no vision.

TDLink

As far as exclusives, I see 2017 going something like this...

Launch
Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
Splatoon
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

April
Mario Kart

May
Mario Sports Superstars

June
Super Smash Bros.

July
Super Mario Maker

August
Pikmin
Xenoblade Chronicles X

September
Mario (RPG)

October
Monster Hunter XX
Pokémon Stars

November
Mario (3D Platformer)

December
Animal Crossing
Pokkén Tournament

You're making the mistake of only listing stuff we know about. There is incredibly obviously going to be brand new games that Nintendo announces both at this event and E3 that will come out this year. It happens every year. But surprises are good.

Malakai

It's expected though as this is Nintendo we are talking about. Basically anything from them is going to be far less than what a lot of people wanted. Nintendo will cut corners, do things cheaply, ignore whole market segments, throw beloved franchises to the sharks and whatever else fits their narrow view of gaming. These things don't typically sit well with gamers, but Nintendo are really about children and casual gamers where sophistication isn't important, so it's not high on their agenda.

And posters, such as yourself with a very large axe to grind, continue to paint a false narrative of reality. Are you talking about the gamers that hold up two consoles that have two netbook processor ducked taped together as a powerhouse that have gpu that couldn't hold a candle to a GTX 750TI...Whatever.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Its Azakism

Half real, half him crying lol

Lol pretty much. AzaK is in this abusive relationship with Nintendo where he cant stay away from buying their machines and participate in threads like this, but still all he gets from them is pain - and its been like this at least since the Wii U-spec threads.

Neoxon

As far as exclusives, I see 2017 going something like this...

Launch
Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
Splatoon
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

April
Mario Kart

May
Mario Sports Superstars

June
Super Smash Bros.

July
Super Mario Maker

August
Pikmin
Xenoblade Chronicles X

September
Mario (RPG)

October
Monster Hunter XX
Pokémon Stars

November
Mario (3D Platformer)

December
Animal Crossing
Pokkén Tournament
So you think the bolded games are gonna get ported to the Switch, or are you also listing 3DS games on the list?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope the launch includes something as interesting and appealing to me as ZOMBIU. Gem and still one of my favourite games on the system.

Oersted

snakebyte-nintendo-switch-starter-kit.jpg

So you think the bolded games are gonna get ported to the Switch, or are you also listing 3DS games on the list?

There are people on this board who are convinced that Superstars will also release on Switch because it looks "too good" for the end-of-life 3DS. In reality, most of it is reusing Camelot's work on Mario Tennis Open and Mario Golf World Tour, which already looked great. It looks great because the foundation is great.

I'm trying to figure out why Nintendo's approach is "throwing beloved franchises to the sharks" when tailoring genres to children and less hardcore players is literally *the* MO behind all of their beloved franchises bar like Metroid and Kid Icarus.

Nanashrew

Banned
I hope we get a better Mario Tennis game on the Switch. They don't have to stretch things so thin and could just work on one single good Mario Tennis game.

What do you expect, this is a Nintendo-system after all. It will get a ton of hate no matter what they do unfortunately But mostly from people who would never buy it no matter what.

It's NeoGaf honestly, people here are keen on actively hating absolutely everything. Well of course not just here, but it's especially strong with a good deal of posters here

It's not [really a big deal], just feels a lot more negative than awhile ago.

I'd say there's definitely some consistency in the themes that tend to develop within a good number Nintendo-related threads.

But it was actually the widepread and intense hate for Miyamoto personally (here and here) that was even a little surprising for me... but, now I know.

So the 6 Wii U ports will be:
- Smash
- Splatoon
- Mario Kart
- Xenoblade
- Mario Maker
- Pokken

So no Hyrule Warriors port?
The way the handled the release of Legends made me not want any new HW for awhile. Sequel featuring the gameplay improvements from the new DW reboot (open world) or skip it.

My favorite launch game for Nintendo was Luigis Mansion.

Such a unique, charming little title. Doesn't come close to being better then other launch games, but It was a nice fresh breath of air.

Edit: Xenobalde port? Was that a leak?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
- Smash
- Splatoon
- Mario Kart
- Xenoblade
- Mario Maker
- Pokken

Enhanced Wii U ports are probably going to be a thing with the Switch. Be ready more of those in the future. Personally, I don't mind since I've never owned a Wii U.

March
-Zelda BotW
-Mario Switch

April
-Skyrim Remastered

May
-Smash Switch

June
-Spla2oon
-Mother 3

Can't wait for the event to fill this list with more.

It's worth noting that Nintendo don't typically release a flagship Mario AND a flagship LOZ title on the same platform, in the same seasonal window - they would likely cannibalise each other, and it would be the equivalent of them "blowing their most popular first party load too early in the Switch's lifecycle". SM3DWorld and LOZ: A Link Between Worlds released in the same week in 2013, on Wii U and 3DS respectively, but they don't release on the same system in the same seeasonal window. LOZ: Wind Waker HD can be discounted there, because it was a re-release, rather than a new flagship entry. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Kart 8: Deluxe Edition was the main Summertime release or closer to the launch date, and 3D Mario was shown at E3, with a view to a Holiday release. Apart from that, I doubt that they'll want to show lots of enhanced ports and remasters at E3 2017. BTW, Yooka-Laylee is listed for April, but it isn't clear whether it will release at the same time on the Switch.

Zalman

I think Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Mario Kart will all be out by E3. Smash will be a late Summer/early Fall type of game. Then Pikmin. And then Pokémon (which I don't think they will announce until May at the earliest.)

A new Kirby game for the 25th would be interesting, but the main team just released Planet Robobot last year so I wonder what they'll do.

Neoxon

I think Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Mario Kart will all be out by E3. Smash will be a late Summer/early Fall type of game. Then Pikmin. And then Pokémon (which I don't think they will announce until May at the earliest.)

A new Kirby game for the 25th would be interesting, but the main team just released Planet Robobot last year so I wonder what they'll do.
I could see Mario being out the week after E3.

random25

- Smash
- Splatoon
- Mario Kart
- Xenoblade
- Mario Maker
- Pokken

Unless it's a sequel, a Hyrule Warriors port will not do much for the Switch. It already sold like a million, and that's a rarity for a Musou game, and some more with the Legends on the 3DS so those who have played it might want something new.

Neoxon

March
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Splatoon Switch
May
  • Mario Kart 8 Switch
June
  • Super Mario Switch
July
  • Xenoblade X
August
  • Super Mario Maker
September
  • Mario RPG: Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Smash 4 Switch
October
  • Pikmin 4
November
  • Pokémon Stars
  • Retro Studios' Project

sfried

Here's hoping there is a BIG surprise. Something nobody has ever predicted even with all of the leaks.

I'm happy enough that there's a brand new IP in the works. The question will be if it's going to be another Pushmo or BoxBoy with no "big push", or something like Splatoon which is treated like a big release with lots of backing and support ad-wise.

Neoxon

Here's hoping there is a BIG surprise. Something nobody has ever predicted even with all of the leaks.

I'm happy enough that there's a brand new IP in the works. The question will be if it's going to be another Pushmo or BoxBoy with no "big push", or something like Splatoon which is treated like a big release with lots of backing and support ad-wise.
I'm curious to see when the new IP is gonna drop if it's coming this year.

A mainline pokemon in NS 1st year always sounds weird to me. How much did GBA/NDS sold when their first mainline pokemon announced/launched? I feel we're going to see another BW2 situation again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom