• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

Here's hoping there is a BIG surprise. Something nobody has ever predicted even with all of the leaks.

I'm happy enough that there's a brand new IP in the works. The question will be if it's going to be another Pushmo or BoxBoy with no "big push", or something like Splatoon which is treated like a big release with lots of backing and support ad-wise.

It's not Nintendo without some big surprises.

Zalman

A mainline pokemon in NS 1st year always sounds weird to me. How much did GBA/NDS sold when their first mainline pokemon announced/launched? I feel we're going to see another BW2 situation again.
Those systems were at least backwards compatible. Might as well move forward quicker this time.

Neoxon

A mainline pokemon in NS 1st year always sounds weird to me. How much did GBA/NDS sold when their first mainline pokemon announced/launched? I feel we're going to see another BW2 situation again.
As mentioned by Zalman, Game Freak had the benefit of the 3DS being backwards compatible with DS games during Gen 5, a benefit that the Switch won't have. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo convinced Game Freak to make Stars a Switch-exclusive.

As mentioned by Zalman, Game Freak had the benefit of the 3DS being backwards compatible with DS games during Gen 5, a benefit that the Switch won't have. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo convinced Game Freak to make Stars a Switch-exclusive.

Those systems were at least backwards compatible. Might as well move forward quicker this time.

I forgot no BC, well then, it will be a Nov launch, maybe announcment before E3?

A 3D Kirby game, finally.
Please, HAL!

Nah, 2D Kirby is better, image the amazing mirror 2 on Switch...

-shadow-

With all the ports and new editions of WiiU games. And here I'm just hoping for Bayonetta 2 to be ported over and running at a rock solid 60fps above all else. Nintendo please do this already! ;_;

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Third versions of Pokémon games have come out 1.5-2 years after the originals. I'd honestly not get your hopes up of a quick reveal.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Switch has so much potential to create a local multiplayer renaissance. The launch lineup has to have a BIG 4p MP game.

Untitled(16).png

JnFnRu

It's worth noting that Nintendo don't typically release a flagship Mario AND a flagship LOZ title on the same platform, in the same seasonal window - they would likely cannibalise each other, and it would be the equivalent of them "blowing their most popular first party load too early in the Switch's lifecycle". SM3DWorld and LOZ: A Link Between Worlds released in the same week in 2013, on Wii U and 3DS respectively, but they don't release on the same system in the same seeasonal window. LOZ: Wind Waker HD can be discounted there, because it was a re-release, rather than a new flagship entry. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Kart 8: Deluxe Edition was the main Summertime release or closer to the launch date, and 3D Mario was shown at E3, with a view to a Holiday release. Apart from that, I doubt that they'll want to show lots of enhanced ports and remasters at E3 2017. BTW, Yooka-Laylee is listed for April, but it isn't clear whether it will release at the same time on the Switch.

In a way you have to think LoZ BOTW is more a WiiU Zelda so Switch "should" still get its own Zelda game which may warrant them releasing both big titles early on to get the most impact. Then seeing as handheld/console is merged there should be more frequent Mario/Zelda games than how it used to be when it was separate.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Switch has so much potential to create a local multiplayer renaissance. The launch lineup has to have a BIG 4p MP game.

http://entertainment.ie/images_content/Untitled(16).png[/img]
Biggest reason why I think the Switch will be a phenomenon with the mass market, will be even more successful than the Wii.

JonnyKong

It looks like the Switch screen (do we have a name for it?) is floating in midair on that Mario Kart pic.

Edit: ignore me, just spotted the thing on the right holding it up haha

Zedark

In a way you have to think LoZ BOTW is more a WiiU Zelda so Switch "should" still get its own Zelda game which may warrant them releasing both big titles early on to get the most impact. Then seeing as handheld/console is merged there should be more frequent Mario/Zelda games than how it used to be when it was separate.

In the same way Twilight Princess was, yeah, I can see what you mean. It also means that they have from launch until the end of the system's lifetime to make a second game (not that that is a guarantee).

Glad to see people including Pokken with potential Wii U ports, were there any rumours about it?

Toss in a couple extra fighters and I'm in. Pokken begs for local multiplayer with 2 Switches. Otherwise, not sure what I would want the game to add. It was really solid and deserves a real chance on a not Wii U.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Glad to see people including Pokken with potential Wii U ports, were there any rumours about it?

Toss in a couple extra fighters and I'm in. Pokken begs for local multiplayer with 2 Switches. Otherwise, not sure what I would want the game to add. It was really solid and deserves a real chance on a not Wii U.
That's pretty much the case for almost every Wii U games tbh. This is why we could see a lot of enhanced ports.
But we may not even get Mario Kart 8 Switch at launch.
I never said that it was a launch game.

sfried

I'm actually betting on Pokken being ported, given the higher spec and other multiplayer opportunities. I could even see the Switch even interacting with the Pokken arcade machines themselves for cool bonuses.

random25

There's no rumor I can think of, but it makes sense to port Pokken to Switch. The arcade version is expanding its roster so an updated version on the Switch will probably happen soon. Plus, there's still potential to reach more audience with the Switch since it came out a little too late on Wii U's short life.

The ability of a local multiplayer on a single Switch becomes impossible now, though.

Pachimari

I just hope Namco Bandai has the capacity to port over Pokken. What are they currently working on? Tekken 7, Ace Combat 7 and a bunch of other licensed Japanese games?

Zalman

There aren't any Pokkén rumors, but it makes sense for a number of reasons. It sold well on Wii U and Bandai Namco is seemingly developing multiple Switch titles.

Neoxon

I never said that it was a launch game.
Though the post you quoted said that there needs to be a local 4-player game at launch. That said, as long as MK8S comes out within the rumored 3-month time-frame, I suppose it won't be much of an issue. Plus if Splatoon has local wireless multiplayer for 8 people, that'd be huge (I recall the eSports segment of the Switch trailer having people training together, so maybe that's the case for the final version).

random25

I just hope Namco Bandai has the capacity to port over Pokken. What are they currently working on? Tekken 7, Ace Combat 7 and a bunch of other licensed Japanese games?

They have a pretty big work force in game development section, so it shouldn't be that much of a work load for them to just port over a game they internally developed.

Couple things:

Re: Gamecube VC:

I've accumulated about 10 or so GCN discs over the past couple years. Should I sell them and go digital or keep them? Part of me wants to hold on to them, part of me also likes the idea of having games all on one console and freeing up shelf space. Same for Wii U games: I know a few of them are getting Switch ports. Should I keep the originals? Ugh.

Re: Switch battery:

I'm not very tech savvy or whatever you want to call it. I'm just curious: I know the Switch will only last a few hours while in portable mode--but what about while docked? Is that thing going to be able to run constantly with the dock's power supply? Like a normal home console? Will I be able to use it primarily as a stationary home console without too many hiccups?

Net

Pokken is a given. They have all that arcade content that never made it into the WiiU version.

What's the over/under on Diddy Kong Racing by Monster Games being revealed January 12th. It's unreasonable, but darn it I want it.

I think it would make so much sense to do Diddy Kong Racing 2 instead of another Mario Kart on Switch. There's no way another Mario Kart can compete with 8.5 so bring back Diddy Kong.

Zalman

Couple things:

Re: Gamecube VC:

I've accumulated about 10 or so GCN discs over the past couple years. Should I sell them and go digital or keep them? Part of me wants to hold on to them, part of me also likes the idea of having games all on one console and freeing up shelf space. Same for Wii U games: I know a few of them are getting Switch ports. Should I keep the originals? Ugh.
As a collector, I'm keeping my GameCube discs. I'll only sell them if they rerelease them physically (like Wind Waker HD). That's just my way of doing things though.

Re: Switch battery:

I'm not very tech savvy or whatever you want to call it. I'm just curious: I know the Switch will only last a few hours while in portable mode--but what about while docked? Is that thing going to be able to run constantly with the dock's power supply? Like a normal home console? Will I be able to use it primarily as a stationary home console without too many hiccups?
The dock charges the system too.

It's a bit concerning that there seems to be a lot of hostility towards the system before it's first showing.
Threads full of people making their minds up that Switch is too expensive and the EuroGamer thing coming out so far from the January event has caused a lot of damage.
I'm guessing/hoping it'll stop after the January showing but with so many rooting for it to fail and the surprises being ruined that might not be the case.
Would rather not go through a few years of having a system people actively disliked.
I guess this could've all been avoided if Nintendo just said it's the 3DS successor but it's clear they don't want to take away from the 3DS's remains sales and they want more out of Switch.
Hope they knock it out of the park on the 12th

I wouldn't worry about it too much, although admittedly i have thought along the same lines as you.

At the end of the day; The Reveal trailer was received with mostly outright positivity, and the Jimmy Fallon Showing actually, probably more so, especially on this board was too. Once people saw the Switch action again, all the talk of specs, graphics, frame rates, third parties etc disappeared and people went "Oh, thats pretty cool"

I guess it is easy to be sucked into the Neogaf echo chamber at times where one day people love what they have seen, the next people lose their shit over the tiniest of spec revelation.

The most important thing is the 12th, once the switch and games are shown in action, that is when the first proper genuine reactions will count.

Unfortunately, there is a very small but very vocal minority where the only thing that matters to them is performance, but i think we are all wise enough to know, that in general there is more to gaming than just that.

(Also i am not having a go at people who like performance discussion, i find it interesting at times, but i get frustrated when it is the only lens people through gaming through)

oti

Banned
I'm guessing/hoping it'll stop after the January showing but with so many rooting for it to fail and the surprises being ruined that might not be the case.

Just look at what people expect of the Switch in general:

1. All the graphics
2. Super cheap price

That's not happening. That is physically impossible (it's a handheld) and from a business perspective. And also they want:

3: All the games

Which is also an unrealistic expectation. Yes, if Switch is a mega hit games will follow, no question. But at this point in time Switch is a giant question mark and it makes sense for 3rd parties to not invest too heavily in it. I'm sure many people get that so they expect:

4: All the Nintendo games

This event won't deliver that. Nintendo will focus on the 3-5 games they'll release on launch, maybe give some hints for the future (I fully expect we'll see a 3D Mario trailer, saying it's coming Holidays 2017) but other than that it will be a modest event with tons and tons of play time and I'm sure loads of positive reactions by the people who'll play it at the event.

In other words, people on the internet are going to be angry.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Mr Swine

Banned
He knows it's not what we expected or maybe want.....

Super Metroid: Other M

Samus enters the Bottleship 2.0 only to find MB been resurrected into a hideous Android and holds a gargantuan captive larva Metroid that Samus needs to save.

Features:

Dude that says "Remember me?"
Adam "Compotor" Malcovitch
Samus "The baby!" Aran
Mother "the other" Brain

And everyone's favorite baby Ridley all grown up!

"Awww"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom