• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how will Nintendo play this from a marketing point of view? And price.

At $199 you have the all new 4k HDR Nvidia Shield TV.
At $249 there is the 4k HDR Xbox One S.

So what price will it have the all new 1080p/720p HDR(?) Switch?

This is incredibly dumb. Different devices have different price points. Trying to do some inane resolution comparison makes no sense

Kjellson

I wonder something about Joy-Cons. Rumor has it that it has IR-pointers. Would that mean they would work like a Wiimote plus nunchuk or just as a cursor?

EDarkness

So guys, Geforce Now $25 for 20 hours = a stupid waste of cloud tech
but Geforce Now sponsored by Nintendo for free on Switch, could it work?

It would be interesting if Nintendo and Nvidia allowed for that service to work on the NS and all Nintendo devices. Not sure if I'd use it, but to be honest, if it were more affordable, I'd consider playing WoW that way on my Mac.

salromano

nah Obe1 is milking it to the bank

Looked up this obe1 guy and suffered through what's available of his 12 days of "Switchmas" vids.

A summary so others don't also suffer:

Day 1 - Assassin's Creed game set in Egypt will launch for Switch alongside other platforms

Day 2 - VR planned for Switch, first wireless VR product on the market, not at launch, but talked about early in the system's lifespan

Day 3 - VR planned for Switch again, Switch port of Resident Evil 7 planned, not near launch, facing development issues

Day 4 - Switch will support voice chat, Bluetooth support in dock mode

Day 5 - Shin Megami Tensei game exclusive to Switch, early in development, planned for 2018

Do people consider him a credible source? He's really annoying =/

It would be interesting if Nintendo and Nvidia allowed for that service to work on the NS and all Nintendo devices. Not sure if I'd use it, but to be honest, if it were more affordable, I'd consider playing WoW that way on my Mac.

I would be willing to use it on my Mac if it were $100 per year because I still have to buy those games but $25 per hour does it come with the games as a rental?

I would like to see it on Switch and as exclusive to that console outside PCs and Macs

If Nintendo could find a way to rebrand the same service and price it right it could work out well if you got access to all those PC titles running from cloud

Cuburt

Here's something I've been thinking about:

Is it possible that the Swich will be able to do Wii U emulation by driving the tablet interface on the undocked Switch and the TV display streamed to the television?

The Switch patents didn't show anything that might suggest the same Wi-fi connection that the Gamepad had with the Wii U to stream video. I really hope it does because that would also mean a possibility for 3DS emulation which would mean every past console could still be at least possible to be played on the Switch (even if the Joycon can't completely emulate a Wii Remote's function, you can probably still pair old Wii remotes).

oti

Banned
If the Switch patents didn't show anything that might suggest the same Wi-fi connection that the Gamepad had with the Wii U to stream video. I really hope it does because that would also mean a possibility for 3DS emulation which would mean every past console could still be at least possible to be played on the Switch (even if the Joycon can't completely emulate a Wii Remote's function, you can probably still pair old Wii remotes).

That would also mean having youtube on TV and the tablet as a remote control. That would be nice. With enough multitasking power it might as well browse the Internet or Miiverse at the same time. That would be great.

Speely

Banned
Looked up this obe1 guy and suffered through what's available of his 12 days of "Switchmas" vids.

Day 1 - Assassin's Creed game set in Egypt will launch for Switch alongside other platforms

Day 2 - VR planned for Switch, first wireless VR product on the market, not at launch, but talked about early in the system's lifespan

Day 3 - VR planned for Switch again, Switch port of Resident Evil 7 planned, not near launch, facing development issues

Day 5 - Shin Megami Tensei game exclusive to Switch, early in development, planned for 2018

Do people consider him a credible source? He's really annoying
=/

No, they don't. At least sensible people don't.

Nairume

Banned

At the least, three of those (AssCreed, voice chat, and SMT) are all pretty believable but also obvious enough to where they could easily have been guesses if they turned out to be legit. It's just the VR stuff that sounds off. Not that I particularly believe him.

credible? nope but the list is not going to prove way off only the VR stuff is going to miss IMO

NateDrake

wait when?

I thought the cover comes out on Thursdays?

Cover was revealed early Wednesday. Top Games of 2016. The Zelda blurb I was told about being in the issue ended up being a recap of the Game Show Awards in written preview form - when I learned of Zelda preview being in the issue I didn't know the exact contents of it. The article reiterated no known release date beyond 2017 in the opening paragraph.

Varg

Banned
It's finally almost here . Felt like it would never come for the switch info to be revealed . Looking foward to the exclusives for launch . If it's a decent selection then I will purchase one.

Cover was revealed early Wednesday. Top Games of 2016. The Zelda blurb I was told about being in the issue ended up being a recap of the Game Show Awards in written preview form - the friend I chatted with didn't write the article or know the contents of it. They reiterated no known release date beyond 2017 in the opening paragraph.

Oh I forgot reacting to the cover art lol man I need to sleep more
but did not know about the Zelda part

Really curious which Nintendo comes out next Thursday.

The one that knows they're doing more than launching a system, they're launching a platform for several years

or

The one that thinks they're launching a system and all other concerns can come after

vern

credible? nope but the list is not going to prove way off only the VR stuff is going to miss IMO

Hmmm I wouldn't count that out actually. Don't know if it'll be presented at this event but expect a google cardboard type VR solution at some point down the road. That's what I've heard recently anyway.

Speely

Banned
Really curious which Nintendo comes out next Thursday.

The one that knows they're doing more than launching a system, they're launching a platform for several years

or

The one that thinks they're launching a system and all other concerns can come after

A valid concern. If I had to guess, I would bet on the former given the choices they've made up until now (since the Wii U launch/struggle.) Also, the talk about consolidating development and going with a scalable architecture.

But we'll see.

D_prOdigy

I can't speak for anybody else's expectations, but the initial Switch trailer was far better than what I was sure Nintendo was gonna do. I would have put money on it being a very formal man-delivering-information-to-camera thing with maybe a couple of game teasers at the end. What we got was a smart, snappy, attractive trailer, which, crucially, successfully showed off the core USP of the thing WITHOUT throwing in any extraneous message-muddling. To me, that was some indication that they had improved on past generations in regards to message delivery.

sfried

Supplementary computing device?

All those patents about letting people who let them use their Switch as a cloud computer of sorts getting rewarded = a way to pay for GeForce now without actually paying?

Cuburt

It could work for free on Switch if it was powered by the Supplemental Computing Device.

Make it so when someone owns a SCD and shares it's computing with the web, they are also earning free cloud service hours.

I don't know how it might break down, but it's one scenario where I see that a player could still have some fully functioned online service without having to pay an additional subscription fee for it like with Sony and MS while simultaneously providing servers for cloud services beyond just multiplayer servers.

Maybe free cloud saves for Switch users (SCD owners get more storage space), SCD owners get free online multiplayer (it's a small monthly fee if you don't have one), and cloud streaming or other cloud gaming use is something SCD owners can earn/get for "free".

Maybe this is a way the Switch can overcome the potential problem of storage space; as long as you have an internet connection, you can stream your games.

Phoenixus

Maybe this is a way the Switch can overcome the potential problem of storage space; as long as you have an internet connection, you can stream your games.

I'm not too savvy on this part of tech, but would it be possible for Nintendo to say, dedicate a section of the onboard memory of the Switch to this purpose.
For example, when on the go and connected to an Internet connection, you can select one of the game's you own but don't currently have available on the system, download a part of it quite quickly, and continue downloading the rest while playing to (hopefully) prevent lag and other such issues? Then this part of the memory wipes itself when finished ready for another game.

Hmmm I wouldn't count that out actually. Don't know if it'll be presented at this event but expect a google cardboard type VR solution at some point down the road. That's what I've heard recently anyway.

Cardboard type VR solution for Switch will not happen. A 720p resolution is to low and Switch is not powerful enough anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom