• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

Laura's release list for the first year:

Cxs0XohXcAQypsX.jpg:large

Love the possibility of a XCX port, and BGE Switch Exclusive would be quite a get.

Edit:

This is all she knows, I would guess she is not in the know about every single project (also, Emily Rogers mentioned that a Retro game would launch in 2017, so that shows Laura's list does not even contain all rumoured titles, just those here sources confirmed to her). Also, she only seems to have one source in third party devs (at Ubisoft), so her knowledge of third parties coming to Switch is limited at best.

I wouldn't mind having XCX on Switch running off a cartridge, unfortunately there's going to be no way to transfer the save file? Hundreds of hours gone!

Rodin

Why are they making a Xenoblade port though.
To increase sales of the game and have more people interested in the inevitable sequel?

Is it possible the Xenoblade X port is a sequel?
The port is a port, a sequel should be in the work too from quite some time now.

Xenoblade X? Yuck. Give me that Xenoblade Chronicles HD tho.

Why not both? Yuk yuk yuk

A Xenoblade HD Collection would seriously be incredible.

El Topo

Why is it a bad list then? Considering is incomplete

Strike out all the ports and see what's left. So what first party titles are coming that are not on the list? You seem to know it. The Sports title?
Unless your argument is "Do not be negative because the list is incomplete and you do not know what's coming", which is a horrible argument.

The lineup could be good, we'll learn in January, even if the list doesn't impress me.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ah ah ah ah! Good joke.

You're reaching to conclusions, again. There's no reasonable way to interpret the Pikmin reboot as an uprezzed 3DS version.
And obviously it's not complete, she said it herself.

So we trust rumors about pokemon being that, about Mario sport being treated like that, about switch being an hybrid but we totally negate the chance of pikmin being coherent with all of this despite the 3ds game releasing next spring, misteriously without an official name and reading that now pikmin 4 could well not be 4 but a reboot to the brand debuting around the same time frame

Ok

Genio88

That can't be all the third parties, right? Surely there must be more, even the Wii U had more.

That's just a list of the games she's been hearing from her sources, not complete at all, there will be more games from both Nintendo and 3rd parties in throughout 2017, for example EA already said they have 2 games coming on Switch of which one is a port of one of their bigger franchise, could be FIFA but who knows could also be Mass Effect Andromeda which should be released about the same time of Switch launch

LordKano

So we trust rumors about pokemon being that, about Mario sport being treated like that, about switch being an hybrid but we totally negate the chance of pikmin being coherent with all of this despite the 3ds game releasing next spring, misteriously without an official name and reading that now pikmin 4 could well not be 4 but a reboot to the brand debuting around the same time frame

Ok

There's nothing coherent about thinking that a new game in the Pikmin entry, in the works since 2013, is actually a 3DS spin-off uprezzed. Just nothing.

Rodin

There's nothing coherent about thinking that a new game in the Pikmin entry, in the works since 2013, is actually a 3DS spin-off uprezzed. Just nothing.

Which is also by a different studio (Arzest).

I dont see that happening unless joycons have motion sensors (probably wont).

Yes they should have gyroscopes/IR pointer.

Xenoblade X got released, it sold whatever it sold, time to move on imo. Of course it could've sold more with more Wii U around but still, why not just focus on the next Xenoblade game? Not like it's gonna be that different than X. Does this indicate the next Xenoblade game is five years away or what? Sounds like they need a big RPG to boost their lineup or to fill a gap, please no.

They can outsource the port or have one of the secondary teams handling it. No reason to assume that it's going to slow down development of the new chapter.

Strike out all the ports and see what's left. So what first party titles are coming that are not on the list? You seem to know it. The Sports title?
Unless your argument is "Do not be negative because the list is incomplete and you do not know what's coming", which is a horrible argument.

The lineup could be good, we'll learn in January, even if the list doesn't impress me.

Do not be negative because the list is incomplete is the only argument that is rational.

oti

Banned
Xenoblade X got released, it sold whatever it sold, time to move on imo. Of course it could've sold more with more Wii U around but still, why not just focus on the next Xenoblade game? Not like it's gonna be that different than X. Does this indicate the next Xenoblade game is five years away or what? Sounds like they need a big RPG to boost their lineup or to fill a gap, please no.

Zedark

Nintendo said they would announce their games in January, and have rented a huge hall for that event. Maybe wait for that before complaining about the lineup?

El Topo

Do not be negative because the list is incomplete is the only argument that is rational.

That is nonsensical. The reaction to a list can be negative, even if it is incomplete. You are judging the list, not the penultimate lineup. You always make judgements in your life with the information available.

Well, officially we know of only Zelda, so officially the Switch must be dood to hell and back in your view.

Is that all you have? Attack people that dare not to be impressed by a rumored, incomplete (launch) list?

Maybe wait for that before complaining about the lineup?

Are you saying we should close all threads until then, or just not discuss things or dare voice criticism?

I don't think the port is all they are doing.

That is nonsensical. The reaction to a list can be negative, even if it is incomplete. You are judging the list, not the ultimately released lineup.

It's not nonsensical. I can't pass judgement on an interim list. Even if it was "good", things get dropped or added all the time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would love to get both Zelda and the Xenoblade X port during next summer. I hope I can transfer the save for X.

I hope we get also some other new 1st party games besides Mario 3d and Zelda during the first 6 months, not just (enhanced) ports.

Why are they making a Xenoblade port though.

Because Xenoblade X had a lot of work going into it and I guess it's a way to get a better return on investment out of it. Also, looking at that list, I guess Nintendo will try their best to get non Wii U owners to buy the system and thus all these Wii U games to reach a larger audience.

Also, I would argue that being a game that requires hundreds of hours it fits better on the "play it anywhere" concept.

El Topo

It's not nonsensical.

It is completely nonsensical. We always, in every situation, make judgement based on the information available and there is no reason not to do so regarding an incomplete lineup list.
This is such a fundamental principle, I'm honestly baffled. We're not passing judgement on Switch, we are looking at the information available and give our current reaction/assessment. That is perfectly reasonable.

I can't pass judgement on an interim list. Even if it was "good", things get dropped or added all the time.

Of course you can. As with all things you take the context into account.

oti

Banned
I don't think the port is all they are doing.

Of course not, maybe someone else is making it. That's not really my point though. I get why Smash/Splatoon/MarioMaker/MK get enhanced ports, it makes sense. Those games are near perfect and too good of a basis to just throw away and start from scratch. It gives Nintendo more time to do something completely new, they don't have to go through the list of Mario franchises again and that's great. But Xenoblade? I get people like the series and all but surely Monnolith is already working on the next big RPG. Maybe Nintendo wants to show gamers and publishers alike how cool it would be to have such an RPG on a hybrid, hence getting more 3rd party ports etc. but for me personally this is just meh.

Of course not, maybe someone else is making it. That's not really my point though. I get why Smash/Splatoon/MarioMaker/MK get enhanced ports, it makes sense. Those games are near perfect and too good of a basis to just throw away and start from scratch. It gives Nintendo more time to do something completely new, they don't have to go through the list of Mario franchises again and that's great. But Xenoblade? I get people like the series and all but surely Monnolith is already working on the next big RPG. Maybe Nintendo wants to show gamers and publishers alike how cool it would be to have such an RPG on a hybrid, hence getting more 3rd party ports etc. but for me personally this is just meh.

I guess they are trying to broad the base before releasing the sequel

oti

Banned
I guess they are trying to broad the base before releasing the sequel

I just don't see any reason why it would sell that much better on Switch and why they would dedicate even more resources for this. It came out, RPG enthusiats bought and liked it, time to move on.

I just don't see any reason why it would sell that much better on Switch and why they would dedicate even more resources for this. It came out, RPG enthusiats bought and liked it, time to move on.

What if they add a few extra chapters so its like a semi sequel? I assume Monolith Soft is working on a project from the ground up for the Switch at the same time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But Xenoblade? I get people like the series and all but surely Monnolith is already working on the next big RPG. Maybe Nintendo wants to show gamers and publishers alike how cool it would be to have such an RPG on a hybrid, hence getting more 3rd party ports etc. but for me personally this is just meh.

What if the next big RPG is the sequel to X, though?

And to people crying about ports we have

-Pikmin (not sure what this is now)
-Mario X Rabbids
-Retros game
-BG & E 2
-3D Mario
-New IP mentioned by Emily.
-BotW (I mean come on might as well call it Switch really lol)
-we don't know other third party games or collaborations

Pachimari

Im not thrilled at Xenoblade x. I would rather they ported the Wii or 3DS game of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also a Zelda demo would be dope if it can convince me to buy the full game.

I think I'll be in on Mario Maker. Never tried it, and it would be cool to create stages for my niece's to overcome.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This discussion about too many ports brings me back to the point I made in the Pokemon Stars thread. Nintendo really needs to show all the cards for the first Switch year in January. If they hold off on too many things and the perception created is wrong from the start they will have a difficult time changing it afterwards. They need to show a balanced and diverse line-up and enough new games for the first year to kick it out of the park.

Never played Xenoblade X but the OG Xenoblade was way too much for me. A game has to really enthrall me if I'm going to spend 100+ hours with it, and Xenoblade just didn't meet that expectation. But I'm glad more people will get to play X!

Zedark

That is nonsensical. The reaction to a list can be negative, even if it is incomplete. You are judging the list, not the penultimate lineup. You always make judgements in your life with the information available.

Is that all you have? Attack people that dare not to be impressed by a rumored, incomplete (launch) list?

Are you saying we should close all threads until then, or just not discuss things or dare voice criticism?

So, your reply to the list was this:
Wow, that list by Laura looks bad. No way that is true.

I can see, in hindsight, that you could be saying that this is an incomplete list, and that what you see is bad, but your comments seems like premature judgment. You seem to disagree with the notion that we should not pass judgment on a list of games, even if they are rumoured titles only, from insider sources that can only spill what does not implicate them. You compare this to us passing judgment on a release list that is officially announced for other consoles, but this is not a valid analogy: if we, at the end of 2016, look at 2017, we see titles that are announced spread out over the year from all different publishers, and make a judgment based on that list. For the Switch, however, our knowledge comes from a small look into the software lineup: a part of the titles from Nintendo are given, and third parties are almost completely absent due to the fact that Laura simply does not have the contacts needed to leak from those companies (how many will be there is, of course, another discussion). So, the look we get of the Switch lineup is much more limited in scope as compared to regular judgment of upcoming release lists. Also, when people discuss for example Sony's upcoming list of releases, they always make the caveat that we do not know what many of their studios are doing, and that therefore we do not pass a judgment on it yet (only a judgment on the release schedule of smaller periods of time, for which it is reasonable not to expect large influxes of titles, like saying "the holiday period is barren for Sony").

All in all, then, I think passing judgment on the Switch lineup, especially in terms of "wow, bad" is a bit needless, and the Switch's jugment does not compare to judging release schedules of any console that is already out and about. That's how I think one should handle a list of leaked titles from a person with sources almost exclusively in first party circles.

I will say that my "Nintendo must be doomed to hell and back" was unnecessary and provocative in hindsight (seeing as you later clarified how you view judging incomplete lineups), so I am sorry about that. I am not in the least saying you can't have criticism: I just believe that the outspoken and dismissive way you provide criticism on a list that is one person's sources' leaks is unfair (as I set out discussing above).

Ragnaroz

I didn't buy it because I didn't want a Wii U. Will definitely buy it on Switch. And there are probably a lot more people who will. It was a big game that came out on a system that sold incredibly poorly. Why do you blame them for trying to release it to more people?

oti

Banned
I didn't buy it because I didn't want a Wii U. Will definitely buy it on Switch. And there are probably a lot more people who will. It was a big game that came out on a system that sold incredibly poorly. Why do you blame them for trying to release it to more people?

I just think there are better ways to sell people on Switch and its future.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does that really matter?

Yes. If it manages to expand X's audience there is a better audience for the sequel. It's in a way the same thing Nintendo did by adding a Bayonetta port together with the Bayonetta 2.

And I know that you think it won't sell, but Xenoblade 3d sold decently enough, so the potential audience might increase with 3ds only owners who are into this genre and will move to Switch.

Edit: despite PR talk, the moves Nintendo make show that they are actually more willing to get first that 3ds audience on board.

oti

Banned
Yes. If it manages to expand X's audience there is a better audience for the sequel. It's in a way the same thing Nintendo did by adding a Bayonetta port together with the Bayonetta 2.

And I know that you think it won't sell, but Xenoblade 3d sold decently enough, so the potential audience might increase with 3ds only owners who are into this genre and will move to Switch.

Edit: despite PR talk, the moves Nintendo make show that they are actually more willing to get first that 3ds audience on board.

If it's an appealing game backed up by Nintendo marketing it should sell regardless of whether people know the name or the story of Xenoblade X.

Your example with Bayonetta is actually the opposite of what is going on with Xenoblade here. Bayonetta 1 came out at the same time as 2. There wasn't any time frame to "expand the Bayonetta audience" on Wii U, it was just a nice add-on. If Nintendo wanted to establish a Xeno fanbase on Switch they might as well start an anime or something that is available on the Nintendo Channel like the one on the 3DS instead.

So it's ok for MS and Sony to have ports on their system but not for Nintendo?

Bruh, have you read any of my other posts regarding the other confirmed Switch ports? I happen to like them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it's an appealing game backed up by Nintendo marketing it should sell regardless of whether people know the name or the story of Xenoblade X.

Why not do both? Release the first game as a port and an easy way of making money and bring on board of the story and Mira the 3ds owners and prepare thus also the sequel. Marketing is a different topic. I don't understand why are you so bothered by this port.

Zedark

Interesting comment, what makes you think that? I can see Pokémon, but what else would work towards that?

Edit:

Ah, shame. No public Zelda demo, apparently. Would have loved a Zelda demo when I get a Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom