• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Interesting comment, what makes you think that? I can see Pokémon, but what else would work towards that?

Porting all those Wii U games and hoping they sell this time. Wouldn't make much sense if they really thought is just another home console. The games already failed to sell well on the previous.

Porting all those Wii U games and hoping they sell this time. Wouldn't make much sense if they really thought is just another home console. The games already failed to sell well on the previous.

Well they are betting that the core issue wasnt the games themselves but the console

Which makes complete sense to me.

I bet the switch versions outselling the wiiu versions is a safe bet

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Interesting comment, what makes you think that? I can see Pokémon, but what else would work towards that?

Being portable. Even most of the reveal video showed the portable scenarios. All the Wii U ports and Pokemon in the first 6-9 months. That's targeting the Nintendo fans who didn't get a Wii U. Which are very likely 3ds owners. Which is their only active base at this point and they really need to keep it active and not lose it.

Wii U owners who will get on board are a bonus practically.

Zedark

Hmm, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. The assertion that those games already failed to sell on the previous home console is dubious, since the WiiU was already dead and buried almost at its reveal. Saying those games won't sell because of themselves, rather than because the WiiU got tanked by incredibly unclear messaging and marketing missteps, is a stretch in my opinion. Rather, I would say that they now have the opportunity to make those great games that were limited by the WiiU's potential shine again on the new, much more clearly messaged console. I don't really see from this that Nintendo are chasing the handheld owners.

Edit:
Being portable. Even most of the reveal video showed the portable scenarios. All the Wii U ports and Pokemon in the first 6-9 months. That's targeting the Nintendo fans who didn't get a Wii U. Which are very likely 3ds owners. Which is their only active base at this point and they really need to keep it active and not lose it.

Wii U owners who will get on board are a bonus practically.

Okay, the Nintendo property being ported could make sense, but I think it is too simplified to say that the Switch trailer focuses on handheld fans, as I (as a console player), for example, saw more than enough that enticed me to get this a my new console, with its portability simply being an added bonus. Also, Nintendo property has quite a status in the gaming world at large, and people did not snub the WiiU because of Nintendo games focus, but rather because of its messaging and its (resultant) dearth of third party. If Nintendo does those two things right, then the good WiiU games being ported to the Switch could imo definitely help move console owners over.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

The rumored wiiu ports sold well or very well on wiiu
But didnt help in selling the console

oti

Banned
Why not do both? Release the first game as a port and an easy way of making money and bring on board of the story and Mira the 3ds owners and prepare thus also the sequel. Marketing is a different topic. I don't understand why are you so bothered by this port.

It sends out a bad message in my opinion. Again, Splatoon, Mario Maker ports and so on make sense. They give Nintendo leeway to do something different. Xeno, (Bayo, Donkey Kong) ports are about trying to get more sales, which is fine. It's not exciting though. I'd rather them close the book on the Wii U and just move on. This isn't a Mario Maker 3DS port situation either. There aren't 60 million Switch consoles out there and who knows how many there will be out there once Xeno hits in late summer.

El Topo

I can see, in hindsight, that you could be saying that this is an incomplete list, and that what you see is bad, but your comments seems like premature judgment.

It's a judgment of the lineup as known from an incomplete list, not taking 3rd party titles into account (or other unknown titles).

You seem to disagree with the notion that we should not pass judgment on a list of games, even if they are rumoured titles only, from insider sources that can only spill what does not implicate them.

I explained that as with all things in life, we make judgement based on incomplete information. Arguing that we should not assess things based on incomplete information is irrational.
What is important is that we are aware of our limitations and the context of our assessment.

You compare this to us passing judgment on a release list that is officially announced for other consoles

Where have I done this regarding Laura's list?
I made six posts (in the discussion) regarding that list: #1233, #1240, #1253, #1265, #1276, #1280

At no point did I bring up release lists or other consoles in this discussion. I assume this is a misunderstanding, presumably sparked from the "incomplete information" bit. Apologies for the confusion.
I have discussed the launch lineups of consoles in other context (e.g. in the general last-gen ports discussion).

All in all, then, I think passing judgment on the Switch lineup, especially in terms of "wow, bad" is a bit needless, and the Switch's jugment does not compare to judging release schedules of any console that is already out and about. That's how I think one should handle a list of leaked titles from a person with sources almost exclusively in first party circles.

It's not about a final judgement. I think I have expressed my scepticism in other threads, but as I wrote e.g. in the "Are you worried about ports" thread, I will not truly worry until the event in January. This is solely an assessment of leaked information.

I will say that my "Nintendo must be doomed to hell and back" was unnecessary and provocative in hindsight (seeing as you later clarified how you view judging incomplete lineups), so I am sorry about that.

Things can get heated in discussions and as anyone that's seen me at GAF knows, we all make mistakes, we all misinterpret things, we all are occasionally dicks. I tend to be rather negative on certain things (e.g. Switch) and I have no doubt that I tend to exaggerate/overreact. In particular regarding Switch, after the Wii U speculation threads, I tend to be a bit harsh, I try to step outside my own bubble. Don't worry about your post.

Edit:
If you want to win me over, Nintendo, you know... a new Wave Race would be nice.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It sends out a bad message in my opinion. Again, Splatoon, Mario Maker ports and so on make sense. They give Nintendo leeway to do something different. Xeno, (Bayo, Donkey Kong) ports are about trying to get more sales, which is fine. It's not exciting though. I'd rather them close the book on the Wii U and just move on. This isn't a Mario Maker 3DS port situation either. There aren't 60 million Switch consoles out there and who knows how many there will be out there once Xeno hits in late summer.

As I said in the other post, then it's up to Nintendo to send the right message in January. They need to put all the cards on the deck and show a proper image of a system with a good balance of new games and ports and diverse genres. They need to show a full line-up at least for 2017 in order to send the proper message about how well they support Switch. Especially considering their recent history when it comes to launches and launch period.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There's nothing coherent about thinking that a new game in the Pikmin entry, in the works since 2013, is actually a 3DS spin-off uprezzed. Just nothing.

Which is also by a different studio (Arzest).

Yes they should have gyroscopes/IR pointer.

They can outsource the port or have one of the secondary teams handling it. No reason to assume that it's going to slow down development of the new chapter.

Can you link official info about pikmin 4 being a proper sequel developed by EAD?

Great now all people annoyingly will say "the Switch is only getting Wii U ports and it didn't sell on Wii U!"

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Is it our fault if rumors are primarly about those games?

oti

Banned
As I said in the other post, then it's up to Nintendo to send the right message in January. They need to put all the cards on the deck and show a proper image of a system with a good balance of new games and ports and diverse genres. They need to show a full line-up at least for 2017 in order to send the proper message about how well they support Switch. Especially considering their recent history when it comes to launches and launch period.

Sure, if Xenoblade is just another amongst a ton of releases this wouldn't bother me at all. If Xeno turns out to be THE game late summer though? Nah.

kw1uISo.png

What crossover(s) would you like to see from Nintendo with another company?

ThatGameCompany x Nintendo

Leaf, Bud, and Blossum: a Pikmin Journey

While it can't be a true crossover due to IP ownership, a "spiritual crossover" of Pikmin and Journey really excites me. Players would take on the role of a single Pikmin in a beautiful but dangerous world. By teaming up with others they meet online or in the real world, the Pikmin can defeat large enemies, build bridges, grow plants, and even domesticate wild fauna.

Malakai

You can't be serious. A lot of time and money went to that game. That game needed to be ported.

Also, what's this Pikmin reboot game??

A lot of money goes into games in general; however, I do recall Xenoblade being made with more a AA budget than a AAA budget. I understand Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, Spatoon being ported over with additional content but what else can Nintendo add to Xenoblade X? To add a cherry on top will the Save data from the Wii U owners from Xenoblade X be at least be able to transfer over? Given the 3DS and Wii U Super Smash Bros didn't have any type of cross-save support I'm going to assume no.

Zedark

It's a judgment of the lineup as known from an incomplete list, not taking 3rd party titles into account (or other unknown titles).

I explained that as with all things in life, we make judgement based on incomplete information. Arguing that we should not assess things based on incomplete information is irrational.
What is important is that we are aware of our limitations and the context of our assessment.

Where have I done this regarding Laura's list?
I made six posts (in the discussion) regarding that list: #1233, #1240, #1253, #1265, #1276, #1280

At no point did I bring up release lists or other consoles in this discussion. I assume this is a misunderstanding, presumably sparked from the "incomplete information" bit. Apologies for the confusion.
I have discussed the launch lineups of consoles in other context (e.g. in the general last-gen ports discussion).

It's not about a final judgement. I think I have expressed my scepticism in other threads, but as I wrote e.g. in the "Are you worried about ports" thread, I will not truly worry until the event in January. This is solely an assessment of leaked information.

Things can get heated in discussions and as anyone that's seen me at GAF knows, we all make mistakes, we all misinterpret things, we all are occasionally dicks. I tend to be rather negative on certain things (e.g. Switch) and I have no doubt that I tend to exaggerate/overreact. In particular regarding Switch, after the Wii U speculation threads, I tend to be a bit harsh, I try to step outside my own bubble. Don't worry about your post.

You are right, I seem to have misread someone else's comment about other console lineups for years for being one of yours. You did say we always make judgments in life made on available information (post #1280), and I may have extrapolated to this.

I think we can safely say that we have different ideas about when we can start passing (intermediate) judgment about information we have, so I think we can leave this discussion with that conclusion.

El Topo

You are right, I seem to have misread someone else's comment about other console lineups for years for being one of yours. You did say we always make judgments in life made on available information (post #1280), and I may have extrapolated to this.

I think we can safely say that we have different ideas about when we can start passing (intermediate) judgment about information we have, so I think we can leave this discussion with that conclusion.

Absolutely. No hard feelings. We'll see in January anyway.

Alright:

Nintendo (or preferably Sakurai) developed Mega Man- no idea what series (original, X, legends, etc.) but based on Smash 4 I know they would treat him very well.

Rockstar open world F-Zero brawler. Complete with bounty hunting and ridiculous tracks just out in the open world

Fromsoft would do 3D Metroid level design so, so well.

Those are the only serious ones I can think of right now. Star Fox by Bioware is my joke answer.
Will Falco and Kat ever get it on??

I'd also really like a DQ character in Smash. Maybe a Metal King Slime :p. Cloud was cool, but DQ is more Nintendo than FF these days (to me at any rate) and Cloud is less Nintendo FF than, say, Cecil, Kain, Terra, Celes, etc. Also, give me Frog in Smash, please. (In general Smash should be more SNES oriented :p)

I've often thought Slime or Metal Slime in Smash would be a fantastic character. Final smash would be either King Slime or Metal King Slime. But the Slime by himself is such a recognizable character, and he has so many potential moves and actions (and costumes) since he's been very active over the years.

Also I want the Slime Smash trailer to start with: A Slime draws near! Command?

That would be awesome.

kw1uISo.png

Nintendo vs. Capcom (2D beat-em-up)
Mario X Rayman (2D platformer using the UbiArt engine)
F-Zero X Sonic (F-Zero-style racing game with Sonic characters included)
Metroid X Dark Souls (3D Metroid adventure where Samus explores a planet/realm inspired by Souls' lore - basically Metroid's lore and villains clash with Souls' lore and villains - or perhaps you can get sci-fi Souls and Metroid in one go)
Kirby X Cooking Mama (cooking game)
Starfox X Star Wars (Space shooter and adventure)

Actually, Kirby x Mega Man by Sakurai.

They both copy abilities, and maybe it can somehow be a co-op game that plays similarly to the ground sections of Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's crazy enough to work, right??

Actually, Kirby x Mega Man by Sakurai.

They both copy abilities, and maybe it can somehow be a co-op game that plays similarly to the ground sections of Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's crazy enough to work, right??

That sounds like a great idea and a good mix of their similar abilities.

random25

I know Nintendo vs Capcom is a popular choice for a cross over but I think one Nintendo series in a vs Capcom game will be a better start. For example:

Pokemon vs Capcom
The Legend of Zelda vs Capcom
Fire Emblem vs Capcom
Super Mario vs Capcom

And a Nintendo X Capcom cross over Kart game will be much better just for the "wtf" factor.

Jebus I need to save up.

My setup will look like this

Switch basic $249
128 gb uSd $39
3D mario $59
Mario RPG $59
Whatever SteamWorld devs are doing $39
Pro Controller $49
$494

And then I will get
Zelda
Smash
Kart
Pikmin
Mario Maker

If and then they come out
New Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter
Fire Emblem #FE

At discount or later
Just Dance

Fuck. No splatoon for me. My gf is not much intio it and it's not a priority for me.
Also no pokemon stars, since I just got moon. I might get them on discount later (HA!). No NBA since I am not into sports games, Not into Telltale GAmes either. I like the Xeno X port but I wouldn't invest in it more after getting it for the U and having played for 40-something hours. Not going to play that again. I don't see the harm in bringing it to the switch though.

I will get Mario Maker for my Girlfriend.

So that's 13 sure-buy games for us.

Could that be one of the daily questions? How many and which rumored games are you getting?

EDIT: Removed Skyrim. I have it on the pc and can't justify double dipping. Added Pro Controller, because Girlfriend will want to play multiplaer on the tv oftern

I'll probably just ask my mom to get the $300 bundle with Splatoon for Easter next year, and get the 3D Mario along with it. MAYBE the Rabbids thing too if it turns out alright.

Zedark

Jebus I need to save up.

Switch basic $249
128 gb uSd $39
3D mario $59
Mario RPG $59
Skyrim $59
$465

And then I will get
Zelda
Smash
Kart
Pikmin
$236

Fuck

Hmm...

Switch basic unit €249,-
Pro Controller €59,-
Skyrim €59,-
3D Mario €59,-
Zelda €59,-
Pokémon Stars €45,- (who knows what it'll cost)
Mario Kart €40,-
Xenoblade Chronicles X €40,-
Pikmin €59,-
Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids €59,-
Total: € 728,-

Not sure about all those games (doubting Mario RPG and Pikmin, at least at full price), though, but still quite an expense to make. Besides that, I'm sure there will be more interesting stuff announced in January (maybe even Monster Hunter), so gonna have to start saving right now.

I will definitely get a Fire Emblem game the moment it comes out (hope maybe within first 15 months of launch, that'd be great). Besides that, there will probably be even more games I can't come up with right now that I will consider during the first 1 or 2 years.

Malakai

Jebus I need to save up.

Switch basic $249
128 gb uSd $39
3D mario $59
Mario RPG $59
Whatever SteamWorld devs are doing $39
Pro Controller $49
$494

You probably won't need 128 GB uSD card at the start. You could use a uSD card that you may have lying around the house. Also, I'm suspecting that the Switch basic $199 or $209. If you are in the U.S. and plan to purchase all of those games then I would suggest looking into Gamer Club Unlock with Best Buy ($30 membership fee for 20% discount on all new video games and this discount stacks with sales)

Dakhil

I don't know if this is old (or if this warrants a new thread), but Laura Kate posted a list on her Twitter page on the launch software lineup for the Nintendo Switch as she understands it (although she also posted one Nintendo Switch exclusive title coming in 2018): https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/800291109448523777

I thought it would be good to discuss this. I personally hope Nintendo would announce more titles on 12 January 2016, because if what Laura Kate says is true (and are the only launch titles for the Nintendo Switch), then the launch lineup for the Nintendo Switch seems rather underwhelming.

LordKano

I don't know if this is old (or if this warrants a new thread), but Laura Kate posted a list on her Twitter page on the launch software lineup for the Nintendo Switch as she understands it (although she also posted one Nintendo Switch exclusive title coming in 2018): https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/800291109448523777

I thought it would be good to discuss this. I personally hope Nintendo would announce more titles on 12 January 2016, because if what Laura Kate says is true (and are the only launch titles for the Nintendo Switch), then the launch lineup for the Nintendo Switch seems rather underwhelming.

It has and is still being discussed in the other thread :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317804
Also, Laura said nowhere that these are the only Switch launch games.

My pick would be pretty by the numbers compared to Mario x Rabbids, but I'd love to play a Fire Emblem Musou.

I'm not the biggest Musou fan, but Hyrule Warriors is such a lovely grinding game, something mindless for your hands to do while listening to podcasts or "watching" a TV series thats a bit too boring to deserve your full attention.
*thumbs up* I've been expecting Fire Emblem Musou for probably over a decade now, since we started seeing things like Sega and Namco develop Nintendo games for GameCube. It's got plenty of existing characters and storylines that could be adapted, and things like the paper/rock/scissors weapon system would integrate well enough with an action game.
I'd really love to see Nintendo X Blizzard in some form, but I'm not sure how exactly.
As much for name goofiness as anything, but at one point I wondered about the possibility of something like Zeldiablo. Mostly I guess I was thinking it as a dungeon crawler without clickclickclickclickclick battles.

renzolama

As someone who bought a Wii U late in its cycle (2015), I have to say that this theoretical launch list is very disappointing. Those remasters are all great games, but I just bought them for the Wii U within the last year and I can't imagine rebuying them again or buying a console where they represent the bulk of available games at launch. If anything, the Switch feels like its punishing Wii U buyers for the failure of that console to build a long-term customer base by asking them to re-buy all their favorite games far earlier than they would in a more successful console cycle. It sounds like a great value proposition for people who don't own a Wii U and haven't played those games, but this remaster list combined with the lack of Zelda at launch will almost certainly deter me from purchasing the console until a healthy library of non-remasters is available (which could be years at Nintendo's current software release pace).

Javier

Being able to use the Joycons for motion detection in Just Dance is kind of a big deal. I know it was discussed before that they had an IR pointer, but full motion? Was that ever mentioned before?

HylianTom

Banned
Oddball crossover idea:
StarTropics x Beyond Good & Evil.

Both have unorthodox weaponry, puzzle-solving, goofy humor, mystery, and fantastic alien threats. I'd like to see Mike and Jade work together, where we get to switch between the two characters.

Debirudog

Not including the "enhanced" in some of these ports really make them seem underwhelming...I honestly believe the Splatoon game would be more of a sequel whereas MK8's content doesn't really seem minor if they include new tracks and a battle mode.

Well they are betting that the core issue wasnt the games themselves but the console

Which makes complete sense to me.

I bet the switch versions outselling the wiiu versions is a safe bet

I don't see how that's possible. All those games apart from Xenoblade sold extremely well already. Mario Kart 8 sold 8 million copies, Smash Wii U 4.99, Splatoon 4.57, Mario Maker 3.73. Maybe Splatoon could if it remains packed-in for a while, but as stand-alone releases, those games won't outsell the Wii U versions.

One port I would love to see on the Switch is Punch-out. I've been replaying it on the Wii lately and I'd love a bigger D-pad to use, not to mention it makes sense as a portable game. Be great if they added a few more fighters from Super Punchout.

BD1

Banned
One port I would love to see on the Switch is Punch-out. I've been replaying it on the Wii lately and I'd love a bigger D-pad to use, not to mention it makes sense as a portable game. Be great if they added a few more fighters from Super Punchout.

I think we should hope for a new Punch-Out, with new fighters and modes and not just a port of the Wii game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom