• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's pretty shitty that Next Level Games ended up wasting themselves on Federation Force, instead of something worthwhile like a new Punch-Out!!, or Mario Strikers.

LordKano

Yeah, it's pretty shitty that Next Level Games ended up wasting themselves on Federation Force, instead of something worthwhile like a new Punch-Out!!, or Mario Strikers.

Rumors were that they had a Wii U title that has been moved to the Switch, but it's an old one and I don't remember it much.

MoonFrog

I've often thought Slime or Metal Slime in Smash would be a fantastic character. Final smash would be either King Slime or Metal King Slime. But the Slime by himself is such a recognizable character, and he has so many potential moves and actions (and costumes) since he's been very active over the years.

Also I want the Slime Smash trailer to start with: A Slime draws near! Command?

That would be awesome.
It really needs to happen and it's a shame it hasn't so far. Slime is as iconic and has a similar pedigree as a classic Nintendo character, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, etc. It is a corner stone of classic Japanese game characters.

For moves, you can draw off slime behavior in the main games and also spin-offs like Rocket Slime. And with alternate colors you could do She-slime, metal slime, spotted slime, etc.

What would the DQ stage be...could be a classic battle screen? Text boxes would be platforms and change as going through commands. Classic DQ enemies could show up to fight, possibly as stage hazards. They're doing a return to DQ1-3 move these days so things like the green dragon.

And of course Slime has a lot of good music he could bring as well as assist trophies.

DQI hero, DQIII hero, DQV hero are all pretty iconic too and could be another first DQ character. I'd love to get to the point that people like Torneko or Yangus or Alena or Baumren or Nera or...etc. could also show up, but we're probably only going to have one DQ character if any and I think Slime is the obvious choice followed by those heroes.

Debirudog

NLG should have made a traditional Metroid but Nintendo canned that project...
Then again, it seemed like they were going for the chibi-style in their concept artwork sooo...

NLG should have made a traditional Metroid but Nintendo canned that project...
Then again, it seemed like they were going for the chibi-style in their concept artwork sooo...
NLG proved with Federation Force that they're capable of making a great Metroid game, the fundamentals are all there, it's whether they can handle traditional Metroid level design.

maxcriden

Not including the "enhanced" in some of these ports really make them seem underwhelming...I honestly believe the Splatoon game would be more of a sequel whereas MK8's content doesn't really seem minor if they include new tracks and a battle mode.

I was confused by Laura's list noting MK8 as having only minor additions when Emily's article discussed significant additions.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
kw1uISo.png

What crossover(s) would you like to see from Nintendo with another company?

Nintendo v.s. Capcom: It's probably among the most desired crossovers, and I hope it'll happen soon.
Fire Emblem Warriors: Pretty obvious.
Fire Emblem fighting game by Arc System Works: The world and characters of FE can be a pretty good fit for that genre as well, honestly.
Lego City Undercover 2: The first game was the representation of fun, I so want to see a sequel of Chase McCain's adventures.
Hyrule Warriors 2: Of course.
Nintendo + Dragon Quest RPG: Sort of Nintendo's own Kingdom Hearts.

I was confused by Laura's list noting MK8 as having only minor additions when Emily's article discussed significant additions.

Dunno what that's about. Tracks and characters aside, the addition of a double item system is most certainly NOT "minor".

Probably depends on your definition of major vs minor.

My understanding is that the game is getting roughly as much added as the various dlc added together, maybe a bit more. If that's true, you're talking about almost double the amount of tracks over vanilla MK8, which I would consider to be the main form of content.

But the amount of new content in the game is obviously going to depend on whether or not you bought the DLC. The same is probably true of Smash.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Updated the list with the fresh list from Laura Kate Dale :

i'm in for all the 1st party games except splatoon/pikmin. not sure about xenoblade but might be cool. only 3rd part i am likely to buy is skyrim.

mario switch, pokemon stars, and zelda are the top 3 i'm looking forward to.

keakster

Has anyone been able to spot the SD card slot in the promo video? OP says it is under the kick stand but I haven't been able to catch a glimpse

Debirudog

Or maybe people stop being idiots. That's on them, not the leakers.
Laura was kinda being vague regarding MK8's "minor additions" and simply listing ports rather than enhanced ports already creates a sour impression of the switch launch. With Emily's information, I think the launch is clearly better than the incomplete information.

I guess I'm also looking at from Nintendo's persepective due to how leakers could potentially make things worse for them because they can't control the messaging or they (unintentionally) make things worse than they actually are.

In a crazy world such as ours, people seem to jump on conclusions and others twisting the information just to fuel the flames even more.

DonShula

Crossover?
Something other than Rabbids and Mario.

I'm interested but I also acknowledge that it's beyond strange. When the rumor surfaced I couldn't think of a single person to share it with - I know people who love Mario RPGs and people who like Rabbids, but no one who actually gives a rip about *both.*

Debirudog

I keep imagining that the devs behind that weird ass rabbid x mario crossover are those who did Child of Light, which is a really good RPG that i enjoyed. If it's not them, my interest plummets easily.

Project X Zone 3! featuring Nintendo characters as well!

With HD sprites and all new "supers" for combos! Sure i'll take it!

That would be pretty interesting to see, actually.

Mainly because it'd be intriguing to see him make up a Nintendo roster of characters without Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and so forth. The devs behind Project X Zone very clearly want a consistent super anime artstyle going on and probably wouldn't want somebody like Mario "kiddyfy-ing" the whole ordeal, if you know what I mean. It's basically why Sonic's absent from these games, despite being SEGA's mascot and most well known character.

Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles characters would undoubtedly be present, considering they've already had their foot in the door with Chrom, Lucina and Mecha Fiora being in PXZ2 (Also helps that Monolith has worked on both PXZ and Xenoblade...). Beyond that, I could see characters like Link, Zelda, Pit (maybe Dark Pit as well?), Palutena, Samus and Captain Falcon, all more realistically proportioned/anime styled characters. I guess if they wanted to, they could dig deeper and bring in characters like Isaac from Golden Sun or people from the Wars series, and possibly characters from The Last Story. Maybe Little Mac as well.

maxcriden

Probably depends on your definition of major vs minor.

My understanding is that the game is getting roughly as much added as the various dlc added together, maybe a bit more. If that's true, you're talking about almost double the amount of tracks over vanilla MK8, which I would consider to be the main form of content.

But the amount of new content in the game is obviously going to depend on whether or not you bought the DLC. The same is probably true of Smash.

Ah, I see. thank you for the clarification. Even still, 16 brand new tracks is certainly more new content than people have come to expect from ports. Throw in additional characters, a new mode and at least one new mechanic, and you have a good amount new for sure. But I do see what you're saying that those who never got the DLC have even more new content to look forward to than those who already did.

maxcriden

But you know they are.

No offense intended, but I don't think there's any indication that's definitely the case. The list is absent of smaller projects and Nintendo usually releases several of those per year, and it stands to reason there may be third party games than what's on the list, and then there are also indies. Plus, EA specifically mentioned they're bringing a game to the system, and the Switch into video strongly indicates NBA 2K16 as coming to Switch. And if there are any Lego games, surely those are coming to Switch as well. Even for launch day alone, five games only as shown on the list would make for the leanest Nintendo system launch lineup in a couple decades. Given that, I don't see that the list can be considered a complete list of Switch releases for 2017.

Speely

Banned
No offense intended, but I don't think there's any indication that's definitely the case. The list is absent of smaller projects and Nintendo usually releases several of those per year, and it stands to reason there may be third party games than what's on the list, and then there are also indies. Given that, I don't see that the list can be considered a complete list of Switch releases for 2017.

Oh I agree completely. I was just saying that some posters here would assume that the list is definitive and forecast doom, etc.

January can't come soon enough.

maxcriden

Oh I agree completely. I was just saying that some posters here would assume that the list is definitive and forecast doom, etc.

January can't come soon enough.

Sorry Speely! I totally misread your post as saying you believed they (the games) comprised the entirety of the lineup. I even edited my post just now before reading this, to include more examples of games to try to convince you more were coming. My apologies and I'll do my best to remove my foot from my mouth. 😉

Speely

Banned
Sorry Speely! I totally misread your post as saying you believed they (the games) comprised the entirety of the lineup. I even edited my post just now before reading this, to include more examples of games to try to convince you more were coming. My apologies and I'll do my best to remove my foot from my mouth. 😉

Lol it's fine. Understandable given how many folks are gloom and doom right now... My post was a bit abbreviated and thus ripe for misunderstanding.

MoonFrog

I mean the ports are the ports. Just want some news as to how Switch will be good for me who has played the games he's going to play of those on Wii U mostly.

I mean Mario and Zelda is really enough for one year but I'm hoping that after this drought it rains for me too.

Debirudog

Ugh...Really wish the Splatoon game wouldn't be seen as a port considering the amount of new shit and the idea that you can switch weapon sets mid-game seem like a big deal to me.

Leizt

Neo Member
Funny thing... PS4/X1 best games to this day are ports... Sony had the balls to release "The Last of US : Remaster" before the original even completed a full year... I see no problem in these WiiU ports since they will have a lot of new content based on what we are hearing... I'm sure Splatoon will be a brand new game that keeps its best maps, the same for Mario Kart and Smash.

Also this ports are not just for WiiU owners these are great games that most never played cuz they didn't own a WiiU so... I'm fine with it.

Ninja Dom

Now if Splatoon is a pack in game are we expecting a physical cartridge of the game included with the Switch? Or will the Switch already come with Splatoon pre-downloaded onto the unit?

LordKano

Right now, concerning third-party we know that :

- Square Enix is working on Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI
- Ubisoft is working on Just Dance 2017, Mario RPG : Invasion of the Raving Rabbids and Beyond Good & Evil 2
- Bethesda is working on Skyrim : Special Edition
- Take-Two is working on NBA2K17
- SEGA is working on Project Sonic 2017
- Telltale Games is working on Guardians of the Galaxy
- Grasshooper Manufacture is working on The Silver Case
- Koei Tecmo is working on Nobunaga's Ambition
- 505 Games is working on Terraria

I excluded Bandai Namco, even though they're likely to work on the Smash Bros port, it's not their game. So, if I remove all the third party of which we know what games they are working on (of course that's assuming they aren't working on something else, even though they certainly could), that leave us with :

These are the studios that owns devkit and have yet to announce their games (or have them leaked through Laura :p)

keakster

Now if Splatoon is a pack in game are we expecting a physical cartridge of the game included with the Switch? Or will the Switch already come with Splatoon pre-downloaded onto the unit?

There is precedent either way, Nintendo Land was a pack in, though the Wind Waker bundle was a download code. I believe the original Splatoon came in under 3 GB, so the download won't be huge.

Personally hoping for a pack in. I still prefer physical releases for the most part, and even more so if they are cart sized

DonShula

I'd expect a separate cartridge. Whatever size memory card is bundled with the Switch should have the same amount of available space whether you get the pack-in game or not. I could see them doing a DLC code as well. Just not a pre-loaded card - that would cause some production inefficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom