• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without too much Zelda info out here, I'm thinking DLC will be mentioned at the event or TreeHouse. I see Nintendo doing more with added content as they move forward. Making those extra $$$.

You don't want to be announce DLC before a game is even released generally, unless it's free. Bad optics.

Might be proven wrong but from memory, I think Nintendo has historically avoided doing so. Exceptions being games where it's a late localization and the DLC already exists in Japan.

Scrawnton

Without too much Zelda info out here, I'm thinking DLC will be mentioned at the event or TreeHouse. I see Nintendo doing more with added content as they move forward. Making those extra $$$.

I think E3 is a great time to announce DLC for Zelda and launch the DLC over summer.

I saw that too! It's probably Fire Emblem, but I so desperately want it to be Dreamland Warriors!

Its funny, I would love them to do a Captain N: The Gamemaster game. But let Captain N be any race or sex. Create your own Captain N. But use the premise of the cartoon show, and different levels thru warp zones took you to other game worlds.

Let characters mash up together that usually would have no business doing so. Like smash Bros., but as a Massou game with a story.

Richie

I just lurked at Laura Kate Dale's twitter account and, did this get discussed here ?
https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/817399120843378690
https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/817400805003264003

Laura heard that Koei Tecmo was working on a Nintendo IP that isn't Zelda nor Starfox.

Koei Tecmo staff said they'd like to give either Mario or Pokémon the Warriors treatment. I'd embrace either version with open arms, Hyrule Warriors was great, and both of their mentioned franchises should allow for much variety in movesets -and- hilarity to spare.

I do wonder about that. How much do you guys think they would save for E3? While I do see the benefit of blowing their load right now, I can also easily imagine a lot of backlash come June if they barely have anything new to show.

I think they'll save Retro's game for E3 since I'm assuming it will be far more Western-focused than anything first party they're showing next week.

Which reminds me that I'm concerned that having one, global presentation means we're not going to see Western indie games or smaller, niche Japanese games during the presentation. Like they can't show games that there's no guarantee that everyone watching will be able to buy, so they'll save them for later, more targeted videos.

Hydrus

Kimishima better take the Switch out of his coat pocket. :(

He should take out a Wii U tablet, smash it on the floor, and say "Out of stock".

tatsumi-930x523.jpg

DonShula

I do wonder about that. How much do you guys think they would save for E3? While I do see the benefit of blowing their load right now, I can also easily imagine a lot of backlash come June if they barely have anything new to show.

They showed one console game at E3 last year, so 1) they ought to have a metric butt ton of games to show us right now, and 2) they clearly don't care to show games releasing the same year at E3. I'm expecting the entire year one lineup to be unveiled during the announcement and 2018 and beyond games for E3.

You don't want to be announce DLC before a game is even released generally, unless it's free. Bad optics.

Might be proven wrong but from memory, I think Nintendo has historically avoided doing so. Exceptions being games where it's a late localization and the DLC already exists in Japan.

Zelda really doesn't feel like the sort of game they'd put DLC for to be honest. Unless it's a second quest/Super Luigi U where you play as Zelda or something. I know Witcher and Skyrim got decent to amazing DLC, but much of it was story focused, which has never been Zelda's thing.

what-ok

I hear you, but look at the Souls series. DLC is the staple and offered for preorder from the get go. Maybe Zelda can learn from that so that the new game development cycle doesn't feel as long since there is additional content to explore in the meantime. That and increased difficulty with new game+++++.

Plum

Have any Brits here had any experience with preordering consoles from Tesco to collect in-store? I'm considering doing it for the Switch as it'll be both easier and more convenient (potentially cheaper too) than GAME; I'd also be able to get it at midnight. Though I'm not sure if you can even do it, and how reliable they are.

DonShula

I think they'll save Retro's game for E3 since I'm assuming it will be far more Western-focused than anything first party they're showing next week.

Which reminds me that I'm concerned that having one, global presentation means we're not going to see Western indie games or smaller, niche Japanese games during the presentation. Like they can't show games that there's no guarantee that everyone watching will be able to buy, so they'll save them for later, more targeted videos.

Maybe for the Treehouse event the next day? Or is the Treehouse stuff only for first party efforts?

Net

Koei Tecmo staff said they'd like to give either Mario or Pokémon the Warriors treatment. I'd embrace either version with open arms, Hyrule Warriors was great, and both of their mentioned franchises should allow for much variety in movesets -and- hilarity to spare.

Mario Musou would be hilarious.

Would play for Rosalina.

Is that really an issue though? Those game could easily be showcased in a February Direct and unless it's some huge get (like, I dunno, Stardew Valley or Undertale?) it would get overshadowed by the bigger announcements anyways.

Kikorin

I'm also excited because after the presentation I think a lot of developers (especially indie) will unveil their project for Switch.

Waji

I'm also excited because after the presentation I think a lot of developers (especially indie) will unveil their project for Switch.
What's great is also that the embargo on any Switch news is going to be lifted so any day can bring new stuff to our life.

Nairume

Banned
I could see a compromise between the two where they do a teaser/announcement for Retro's game next week but then do the full gameplay reveal at E3.

I would buy Mushroom Kingdom Warriors in a heartbeat. Especially if it was hilariously "gritty" like Strikers Charged!

Is that really an issue though? Those game could easily be showcased in a February Direct and unless it's some huge get (like, I dunno, Stardew Valley or Undertale?) it would get overshadowed by the bigger announcements anyways.

Stardew Valley is coming to Switch, and the fact that most people don't know that highlights the importance of having everything in one place (assuming it's not in the presentation). But yeah, that stuff can hopefully be addressed in the limited time before launch.

Im certainly buying the Switch at launch unless theres no Mario or Zelda at launch (haha not close to likely).
Things I would love to see:

New Metroid even if a teaser. IDC of it's 2D or 3D as long as it's good.

Dark Souls Trilogy, From Software Souls take on Nintendo IP... Eternal Darkness of Souls ?
Whatever new IP or game coming to the Switch

New Pikmin

Bayonetta 3

I really hope the new Mario game is truly 3D like Mario64, but I'd love a Mario Sunshine HD port as well.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
But it needs them. I mean it really fucking needs them. Games on modern consoles are big. If the memory options aren't big, going digital is impossible. And I'm all digital these days. It's especially necessary to go all digital on a portable so I can have access to my library at any time.

I say this with all seriousness. If at least a 500Gb memory card is not available to purchase for the Switch, it's a deal breaker. Assuming the file sizes are similar to what they are on other modern consoles.
With carts this shouldn't be a problem unless you're going all digital. Then we'll have to see what they offer on January or possibly the march when it releases (but right now it's only looking like micro SD is the only solution). Sorry to disappoint you but looks like you're out of luck.

If you guys has to pick one game to end the Switch Presentation with what would it be?

I've got a few games in mind.

A) 3D Mario because if rumors are true to where it has more openess to it like 64 then it will make a lot of people happy.

B) the biggest third party exclusive. Whatever Nintendos biggest third party exclusive game is they could show it last.

C) Retro Studios game. I was hesitant on this because it's in Japan, but whatever it's a worldwide presentation and if Retro has something big then it could be last.

D) Nintendos brand new IP. This can be last ONLY if it's something big and appealing then it could be the last game.

Honorable mentions- New 3D Metroid and Monoliths game.

Phoenixus

WiiU related question... I will just ask in here. If you downloaded games digitally on a hard drive can you use that hard drive on another Wii U? Or can it only be used on the original system of the downloads?

The games are locked to the system they were downloaded onto, so whilst you could hook up a hard drive to another WiiU and use it as normal, the games you had to play on the other unit won't show up on this one.
Or it might need to be wiped to use on another system, I'm not sure. Games are definitely locked though.

If you guys has to pick one game to end the Switch Presentation with what would it be?

A) 3D Mario because if rumors are true to where it has more openess to it like 64 then it will make a lot of people happy.

B) the biggest third party exclusive. Whatever Nintendos biggest third party exclusive game is they could show it last.

C) Retro Studios game. I was hesitant on this because it's in Japan, but whatever it's a worldwide presentation and if Retro has something big then it could be last.

D) Nintendos brand new IP. This can be last ONLY if it's something big and appealing then it could be the last game.

The closing should be a surprise. What ever it is, it shouldn't be something that was leaked beforehand.

DonShula

I'd ask for a new 3D Metroid. But I have a feeling it'll be something we didn't know we wanted, whether it's a new IP or a new take on an old IP.

Super Metroid Maker

If you don't know what Captain N: The Gamemaster is, check it out.

Update it for modern times, make it funny and it screams modern day Musou mashup game.

Net

I'd go with B if such a thing exists. Even a huge multiplatform title like, say, Kingdom Hearts 3 could make a big splash.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended on Zelda but showing actual dungeons, boss fights, and the plot.

Is there a non-confirmed IP big enough to pull a surprise ending off? I don't think Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, or Metroid could. Maybe Kid Icarus Uprising 2 or maybe it'll be Smash showcasing more new characters than we could possibly imagine.

After holidays here I am in front of my computer. I would like to start a game but... I cant be bothered... tomorrow I go to my weekends job which is in another town I rest and sleep at a friends place over there.

Switch you will be welcome!

fossi8

Main things I'm hoping for N Switch is subspace emissary and offline tournaments in SBB Remastered and Harmonix support.

DMONKUMA

3D Metroid made by collaboration between Retro and FromSoft with Miyazaki directing will pretty much make people foam.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mario Musou? Fuck yes.

After replaying Tropical Freeze.

I think Retro could do a 2D Metroid. They can nail level design on DK. I'm sure they can adapt that to 2D Metroid with is more connected world.

So Nintendo World is doing a screening, which is super awesome and I'm 1000% game and gonna be there! Tickets are being distributed at 8pm so I guess I'll show around 6.

ALSO... a friend of mine got a spare ticket to a press thing so I can play the Switch next Saturday C:

Life is p good hehehehehe

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How are you this demanding about storage space and still managed to become a big Vita fan?
Vita games aren't that big so I'm still able to fit quite a lot on my 64gb card. It's still nowhere near enough and I had to juggle games off it constantly, but it was still generally enough to have a decent amount of games on there at one time, especially considering a very large portion of my Vita library was indies. I mean the max a Vita game would go is 4gb, and that's very rare. For Switch a GTAV port alone is going to be 50 gb. If we're getting 30-50gb games, I need big storage.

Vita games aren't that big so I'm still able to fit quite a lot on my 64gb card. It's still nowhere near enough and I had to juggle games off it constantly, but it was still generally enough to have a decent amount of games on there at one time, especially considering a very large portion of my Vita library was indies. I mean the max a Vita game would go is 4gb, and that's very rare. For Switch a GTAV port alone is going to be 50 gb. If we're getting 30-50gb games, I need big storage.
I think you forgot Killzone needs 8GBs. And you couldn't play it without a 16GB card.

Other then that. We need to wait and see what Switch has planned. At least SD cards are easier to get then what the Vita did. That's a start.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended on Zelda but showing actual dungeons, boss fights, and the plot.

Is there a non-confirmed IP big enough to pull a surprise ending off? I don't think Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, or Metroid could. Maybe Kid Icarus Uprising 2 or maybe it'll be Smash showcasing more new characters than we could possibly imagine.

Metroid definitely. Star Tropics reboot from Retro also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom