• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're misunderstanding. I use Brexit and Trump not because the Switch is anything like them, but because of the expectations surrounding the three beforehand. The two are examples of "things will be the same" arguments shown to be completely wrong. It could be anything else, but those two are just the most fresh in people's minds
Make the thread. Could be interesting

After replaying Tropical Freeze.

I think Retro could do a 2D Metroid. They can nail level design on DK. I'm sure they can adapt that to 2D Metroid with is more connected world.
My sentiments exactly and I've stated it before.
People are like wah wah Retro doesn't have the same people anymore that made Prime wah wah but let them use the DK engine and make another 2D Metroid.
It'd be glorious.

Net

The idea you posted was Metroid 1.5, which was an idea for the Gamecube, not the 3DS. NLG actually had a Metroid prototype for the 3DS, which is where the confusion is coming from.

I might have gotten the system wrong, but I was responding to a post about Retro and 2D Metroid, and I even described the contents of the documents including the split personality AI which bears no resemblance to anything in the NLG pitch. Furthermore all of that has already been clarified on this very page so there should be no more reason for confusion.

Nudull

Banned
Does anyone else think that the Switch could potentially be the Gaming community's version of Trump & Brexit? What I mean by this is that most, if not all, criticism so far has been assumptions, assuming people don't want the basic concept, assuming people only care about power, assuming that 3rd party support will be at the same level as the Wii U; it's exactly the same as those two situations I pointed out as before they happened most of GAF and the left-wing simply assumed that neither could win.

Every time the topic of 3rd party support comes up, for example, we hear the tired "same old song and dance" lines trotted out despite their being so much different between the Switch now and the Wii U at the same time before launch. Much the same way people wrote off Brexit before Trump won, people are writing off Skyrim, NBA, From Software, etc as either "old ports" or "unprecedented partnerships" without any critical thinking about what even having those around means for the machine. On the first party side we have people decrying MK8, Splatoon, etc as "just Wii U ports" even though remasters and remakes have been incredibly prevalent, and overall successful, this generation. We live in a world where GTAV; a two year old port of a three year old game, is still in the Top 10 Sales Charts often, for example. Many even write off any benefits it could have from being a handheld because it's also a console and vice-versa, all whilst focusing on the negatives both form factors bring instead.

Now, of course, the Switch and Nintendo have a very big uphill battle if they want the thing to be a success; and no I am not saying it will come anywhere close to the Wii, but I just think that the general concensus that the thing won't set the world on fire is inherently misguided.

Should I make this a thread? It could potentially be interesting but I fear it's a bit of a stupid topic and it might get overridden by console wars.

I...

I don't even...

What you posted was Metroid 1.5, which was a pitch for the Gamecube, not the 3DS. NLG actually had a Metroid prototype for the 3DS, which is where the confusion is coming from.
I'm not sure what his problem is. He clearly said

Retro did in fact pitch a 2D Metroid for 3DS to Nintendo. I remember reading about the leaked design documents. Something about exploring a ship controlled by an AI with multiple personality disorder.

It looked cool but it was rejected.

I mean it's on the last page lol

Without too much Zelda info out here, I'm thinking DLC will be mentioned at the event or TreeHouse. I see Nintendo doing more with added content as they move forward. Making those extra $$$.
Hell no. They better give me a complete Zelda game on cart. No DLC for single player games like Zelda!

Platy

I think you're misunderstanding. I use Brexit and Trump not because the Switch is anything like them, but because of the expectations surrounding the three beforehand. The two are examples of "things will be the same" arguments shown to be completely wrong. It could be anything else, but those two are just the most fresh in people's minds

Though I think a thread be better if I just said "Will the Switch defy our expectations?"

If you make the thread, don't use the words Brexit and Trump

That is borderline clickbait

Pastry

Banned
Just told my manager I've got a doctor appointment next Friday morning... I'll be front and center at my GameStop for preorders lol.

It was intended to be a 2.5D game. And I was very clear that it was rejected.
No it wasn't. The Metroid 2 remake was the 2.5D game, nowhere in the that thread did it say anything about Metroid 1.5 being 2.5D outside of the gyro ball sections. This quote confirms to me it was meant to be another fps: "This I feel would satisfy gamers who completed Prime and are hungry for something more with a few new mechanics and ideas thrown in."

Plum

I won't make the thread... I don't want to be labelled as a GAF crazy because of an analogy and I don't think it would garner much good discussiom anyway.

Gleethor

I mean, your thread premise is "people are underestimating the Switch" which is fine,but you've saddled (and potentially derailed) it with political baggage.

I think that was the problem several posters had with it.

Plum

Just told my manager I've got a doctor appointment next Friday morning... I'll be front and center at my GameStop for preorders lol.

"Boss I have an illness."

"Sorry to hear, what is it?"

"I'm suffering from a lack of Vitamin Switch."

Malyse

Does anyone else think that the Switch could potentially be the Gaming community's version of Trump & Brexit? What I mean by this is that most, if not all, criticism so far has been assumptions, assuming people don't want the basic concept, assuming people only care about power, assuming that 3rd party support will be at the same level as the Wii U; it's exactly the same as those two situations I pointed out as before they happened most of GAF and the left-wing simply assumed that neither could win.

Every time the topic of 3rd party support comes up, for example, we hear the tired "same old song and dance" lines trotted out despite their being so much different between the Switch now and the Wii U at the same time before launch. Much the same way people wrote off Brexit before Trump won, people are writing off Skyrim, NBA, From Software, etc as either "old ports" or "unprecedented partnerships" without any critical thinking about what even having those around means for the machine. On the first party side we have people decrying MK8, Splatoon, etc as "just Wii U ports" even though remasters and remakes have been incredibly prevalent, and overall successful, this generation. We live in a world where GTAV; a two year old port of a three year old game, is still in the Top 10 Sales Charts often, for example. Many even write off any benefits it could have from being a handheld because it's also a console and vice-versa, all whilst focusing on the negatives both form factors bring instead.

Now, of course, the Switch and Nintendo have a very big uphill battle if they want the thing to be a success; and no I am not saying it will come anywhere close to the Wii, but I just think that the general concensus that the thing won't set the world on fire is inherently misguided.

Should I make this a thread? It could potentially be interesting but I fear it's a bit of a stupid topic and it might get overridden by console wars.
rzLVl.gif

Kimawolf

Don't make the thread lol. Don't do it especially with that comparison.

But I DO believe people are definitely underestimating it and thinking its same ole Nintendo despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Net

If that thread means more people implying I'm crazy/an idiot/a blind fanboy through gifs and memes then I'd rather not make it. Someone else is free to do so though.

What would Trump say if he heard you talking like this? Show some initiative.

If that thread means more people implying I'm crazy/an idiot/a blind fanboy through gifs and memes then I'd rather not make it. Someone else is free to do so though.
Don't do it. He's baiting you. I think he's been trying to do that for awhile now with others.

oti

Banned

1. You would look like a total lunatic, regardless of what your actual point would be.
2. People would make fun of you.
3. Mods would shut the thread down immediately.
4. We just wanna talk video games on here, man.
5. If Nintendo offered multiple colours for the Switch, which colour would you choose.

1. You would look like a total lunatic, regardless of what your actual point would be.
5. If Nintendo offered multiple colours for the Switch, which colour would you choose.
Purple.

Just black, or an understated Blue.

I'll take grey. Or A special edition FIre Emblem console.

Net

Zelda Gold™

Lime green.

KingBroly

Banned

Do it. And phrase it just like that. 'Could the Switch be Gaming's Trump & Brexit?'

Plum

Metallic Red like the true GOAT DS Lite design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom