• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to be like Sony and carefully hide that negative thing like Sony did with paying online multiplayer.

Till this very day it still boggles my mind how everyone started clapping their hands when Sony announced that you would have to pay for online multiplayer.

Exactly. In general I'd argue that the 'but Nintendo, lol' line of thinking is to a great extent result from Nintendo sometimes really sucking at getting away with shit. PS4 showed that zero backwards compatibility, required pay for online multiplayer don't need to hinder your success in any measurable way, if only your communication is on point to potential customers.

AdanVC

A little over 5 days until Nintendo's biggest event in an extremely long time. A little over 6 days until I get to play actual Switch demos. It doesn't feel real.

You will literally end up like Bill on your avatar lol! Luckyyy you!

But yeah it seems this is going to be Nintendo's biggest event in a long time. Truly feels like E3 when Nintendo used to make big press conferences.

Considering the amount of updates that the ports may get & the hype surrounding which characters may get in the Smash 4 port, I'd expect a decent amount of time going to the enhanced ports (unless they plan on doing separate Directs for each of them at a later date).

Mario Kart will be the only port they show of at length. Rest is sizzle reel i'd imagine.

oti

Banned
Considering the amount of updates that the ports may get & the hype surrounding which characters may get in the Smash 4 port, I'd expect a decent amount of time going to the enhanced ports (unless they plan on doing separate Directs for each of them at a later date).
I don't expect a lot of Smash talk tbh. They know they could release a whole video dedicated to that game alone at a later date.

Franz Brötchen;227838274 said:
Exactly. In general I'd argue that the 'but Nintendo, lol' line of thinking is to a great extent result from Nintendo sometimes really sucking at getting away with shit. PS4 showed that zero backwards compatibility, required pay for online multiplayer don't need to hinder your success in any measurable way, if only your communication is on point to potential customers.

The things that caused the "But Nintendo" line to stick around aren't really things you could cover it. It's the carts during the N64 days that caused them to lose a ton of third party support, the lack of online multiplayer during the GC that they're still trailing far behind other platforms with, the continued pursuit of friends codes and so on. No amount of PR is going to cover that up. Because it's largely built around them being unbelievably stubborn at certain things where they have to be proven wrong before they change their ways.

I have no doubt that Pokemon Stars/Eclipse for the Switch is real, given some of the sources that have confidently reported on it, but I would be shocked if we heard anything about this game on January 12th/13th.

Sun and Moon haven't even been out for 2 months yet. so I'm guessing Nintendo will save it for E3.

The Pokemon Company likes to have the spotlight on them. Notice how XY and SM got directs just for their announcements, and XY had a whole roundtable event at that E3. I'm expecting a reveal before E3, but definitely not on Friday (unless it's a soft confirmation).

It's weird, since it's not the first Gen 7 game, but it is the first one technically on a home console, so maybe it'll have a bigger presence at E3 compared to ORAS.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I never said they wouldn't show it. I'm saying if they don't go into that much depth on particular games, then we'll still get much more info in the days/weeks following the event from the developers themselves.

Exciting times are coming.

My point was that the games that haven't been already announced probably were embargoed for the event itself. Otherwise the developers would have talked already about them. Unless Nintendo somehow forbid everybody to talk about it. And that we know it's not true, because we still had some games announced.

So apart from the 3rd party games shown in the event there's no reason for others to be announced right after. Not in the following days/weeks at least.

Waji

I have no doubt that Pokemon Stars/Eclipse for the Switch is real, given some of the sources that have confidently reported on it, but I would be shocked if we heard anything about this game on January 12th/13th.

Sun and Moon haven't even been out for 2 months yet. so I'm guessing Nintendo will save it for E3.
Oh yes, if there's something they have to keep for the E3 period it's this.
There's not much to win by showing it so soon and on the other end it would give the Switch a "second" breath with an extremely strong title for the second half of the year.

Plum

Place your bets now; how many "We knew about [mostly] everything already, this presentation was terrible/boring!" posts are we going to see on the 13th after the event? All these leaks are definitely going to have an impact no matter how much people say "leaks aren't spoilers."

hughesta

Banned
people saying this is the hardest wait are crazy. We went like a year without even knowing what the NX was or when we'd hear more. Anyone remember the Emily Rogers leak threads from before the NX reveal date announcement? Those were dark times.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Not just press, its also open for My Nintendo users(if they win)

really? my "MyNintendo" Page only said Frankfurt am Main and said nothing about Offenbach. So, because my friend was specifically invited to an event in offenbach last week I assumed it was something different... they're using Offenbach and Frankfurt am Main interchangeable for the same event? Well then nevermind :D!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
all i need to know is:

1. Pricing/Bundles
2. Release date of Zelda
3. Amazon to let me pre order it!

Nintendo are gonna need to seriously mess this up to get me to not pre order it and hopefully get it day 1.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thinking now about the 3rd party games, it would be nice if they would show the launch ones in the Treehouse segment and not just the 1st party ones. But I guess that's a bit unlikely.

Fanuilos

Wow, the Switch's introduction is nearly the complete opposite of that mess.. Nintendo even decided not to use children at all.

Starting the announcement with some dude playing Zelda by himself in the middle of the night was the perfect way to introduce the Switch.

people saying this is the hardest wait are crazy. We went like a year without even knowing what the NX was or when we'd hear more. Anyone remember the Emily Rogers leak threads from before the NX reveal date announcement? Those were dark times.
Yeah Im just smooth sailing and cruising through these days its nothing to me

Oregano

Place your bets now; how many "We knew about [mostly] everything already, this presentation was terrible/boring!" posts are we going to see on the 13th after the event? All these leaks are definitely going to have an impact no matter how much people say "leaks aren't spoilers."

I actually expect posts/threads on the following:
Graphics not being better than Vita(even though they blatantly are)
Remote Play being a better solution
x third party game not being on the system therefore doomed
Price being way too high, needs to be $100 lower and include a pack in(regardless of actual price)
How Nintendo is just rehashing the same games

I hope people keep their expectations low as far as the presentation goes. It could end up being dry and not fireworks and crazy lights going off everywhere like it's E3.

Plum

Price being way too high, needs to be $100 lower and include a pack in(regardless of actual price)

How about the classic;
"Nobody will want to buy all those Wii U ports! If they didn't sell Wii Us they won't sell the Switch!"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If we really do know about everything already, then Nintendo will deserve all those comments. But I have faith that Nintendo have plenty of surprises up their sleeves for the event.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

also the "I don't need a hybrid, why can't I buy just a console with stronger tech?"
and the "I don't need a hybrid, why can't I buy a handheld that is smaller?"

but, let's not get ahead of our selves. I'm still critical of the switch and the friday next week will decide if I buy or not. But I lean towards "day one" so far.

Waji

Not especially.
For lots of people, knowing the leaks or not, seeing the product in the commercial made a huge difference.
And the hard wait right now is made because of the announce of the January presentation.
You have the day, you know what the product look like and its basic purpose, but the end result is a little blurry and people absolutely want to see the whole picture.
Plus the hype builds more hype. Knowing that more people got interested in it than the Wii U makes us think that it should have a better life.

NX was just a cloud of rumors. The Switch is real now. And after the presentation there will be so much to discuss that waiting for it will feel easier... I think.

So much bitterness. Let's forget about that, we'll deal with it when it comes : (.

Plum

I hope people keep their expectations low as far as the presentation goes. It could end up being dry and not fireworks and crazy lights going off everywhere like it's E3.

To be honest after the PS Slim/Pro Meeting I can handle anything. That was so incredibly drab and dull that a blowout for a brand new system with brand new games alongside it will never be able to beat it.

I don't expect a lot of Smash talk tbh. They know they could release a whole video dedicated to that game alone at a later date.
If they have an unexpected new character with the prominence of Sonic, Snake, or Cloud I can see it getting some attention, but what are the chances?
KingSnake said:
My point was that the games that haven't been already announced probably were embargoed for the event itself. Otherwise the developers would have talked already about them. Unless Nintendo somehow forbid everybody to talk about it. And that we know it's not true, because we still had some games announced.
Which ones are you thinking of? LEGO City comes to mind, but there's good reason for that to have been an exception.

Gaf gonna Gaf. It is just part of the experience.

Plum

If we really do know about everything already, then Nintendo will deserve all those comments. But I have faith that Nintendo have plenty of surprises up their sleeves for the event.

I don't see why. All of the big three have had massive leaks in the past, the only difference is how much the leakers decide to put out there. It's not like it's a small developer where the CEO would at least be able to name most of their employees; Nintendo is huge and plugging a leak would require an almost dictator-like level of surveillance.

sphinx

the piano man
just a friendly reminder to everyone that the probablities of either Emily, Laura or Eurogamer leaking each and every part of the presentation one or two days prior to the event are astronomical.

pretty sure they'll want those sweet clicks and notoriety.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Almost nothing has actually leaked though. The Mario Rabbids game and the rumour of BG&E2 is about it software wise. If Nintendo really don't have anything beyond those to reveal at the event then they have truly fucked up and deserve criticism.

kulapik

Remember those talks about being able to play games in the gamepad without turning on the console? Yeah, that was nice. Or would have been nice if it was ever a thing.

Almost nothing has actually leaked though. The Mario Rabbids game and the rumour of BG&E2 is about it software wise. If Nintendo really don't have anything beyond those to reveal at the event then they have truly fucked up and deserve criticism.

They still have stuff to reveal about hardware, like how the joycons work, if there are any extra joycons, how the USB-C stuff works, etc. Though most of that has leaked already, they might have some bombs for themselves.

Oregano

How about the classic;
"Nobody will want to buy all those Wii U ports! If they didn't sell Wii Us they won't sell the Switch!"

also the "I don't need a hybrid, why can't I buy just a console with stronger tech?"
and the "I don't need a hybrid, why can't I buy a handheld that is smaller?"

but, let's not get ahead of our selves. I'm still critical of the switch and the friday next week will decide if I buy or not. But I lean towards "day one" so far.

Yeah those are good ones too.

I don't see why. All of the big three have had massive leaks in the past, the only difference is how much the leakers decide to put out there. It's not like it's a small developer where the CEO would at least be able to name most of their employees; Nintendo is huge and plugging a leak would require an almost dictator-like level of surveillance.

Challenge accepted.

Remember those talks about being able to play games in the gamepad without turning on the console? Yeah, that was nice. Or would have been nice if it was ever a thing.

They still have stuff to reveal about hardware, like how the joycons work, if there are any extra joycons, how the USB-C stuff works, etc. Though most of that has leaked already, they might have some bombs for themselves.
How when you cant go out the house without the gamepad

Thinking now about the 3rd party games, it would be nice if they would show the launch ones in the Treehouse segment and not just the 1st party ones. But I guess that's a bit unlikely.

They couldn't really do that with the Wii U due to obvious reasons, but the 3DS treehouse segments during E3 did have third party games.

NSMB, Miis, Wii Remotes, Wii Fit Board, Stupid Aiming accesory that actually never came out to hold the Gamepad AND a freaking Wii Remote ... No wonder why the massive confusion with casuals about Wii U being nothing but an accesory for Wii! So baad :c

Pretty much everything that could of went wrong with the Wii U (besides the games) went, well, horribly wrong

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
NSMB, Miis, Wii Remotes, Wii Fit Board, Stupid Aiming accesory that actually never came out to hold the Gamepad AND a freaking Wii Remote ... No wonder why the massive confusion with casuals about Wii U being nothing but an accesory for Wii! So baad :c

the german amazon site for breath of the wild for wii u features the question by someone "do I need to buy a new wii u for that or can I play it on my wii"

there are still people out there who are mislead. even after so many years..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom