• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisD

I hope people keep their expectations low as far as the presentation goes. It could end up being dry and not fireworks and crazy lights going off everywhere like it's E3.

I don't think Nintendo will ever use "fireworks" again for any press event, recorded or live. :x

Plum

And the dubstep attacked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnq3IOTEws

At least the ending with the giant U logo made of all the different tiny rooms looks cool, IMHO

The Wii U's actual reveal trailer (i.e. the parallel to the Switch reveal trailer) was even worse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

The Wii U should be used in universities as a prime example of how marketing can utterly kill a product. Sure, there were a LOT of issues with the Wii U; but the marketing was the worst. Nintendo doesn't need to make a powerful home console to succeed, that's always just been a selfish "I want this!" reason, they just need to find a way to market their products to the masses and gain that "cool" factor they've been sorely lacking.

Plum

Almost nothing has actually leaked though. The Mario Rabbids game and the rumour of BG&E2 is about it software wise. If Nintendo really don't have anything beyond those to reveal at the event then they have truly fucked up and deserve criticism.

Mario Kart, Smash and a possible Souls port along with the things we've already seen such as Splatoon, Mario and Skyrim. Though yeah, it's incredibly unlikely that all they'll show is stuff we know about; 3rd party announcements will make up for the leaks themselves I think.

The Wii U should be used in universities as a prime example of how marketing can utterly kill a product. Sure, there were a LOT of issues with the Wii U; but the marketing was the worst. Nintendo doesn't need to make a powerful home console to succeed, that's always just been a selfish "I want this!" reason, they just need to find a way to market their products to the masses and gain that "cool" factor they've been sorely lacking.

Wii U was such a horribly misconceived product on such a fundamental level that no slickly produced ad could have saved it. The ads and the E3 2011 "new controller" trailer were symptoms, not the cause; nothing could have ever made the Game Pad look like a compelling USP next to Wii, PS3/360, or mobile.

Plum

Wii U was such a horribly misconceived product on such a fundamental level that no slickly produced ad could have saved it. The ads and the E3 2011 "new controller" trailer were symptoms, not the cause.

Yeah definitely; it wasn't a good concept at all, the Switch is what the Wii U should have been. Though it definitely would have sold marginally better if they had actually marketed it as the first HD Nintendo console instead of as a tablet controller with a console.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U was such a horribly misconceived product on such a fundamental level that no slickly produced ad could have saved it. The ads and the E3 2011 "new controller" trailer were symptoms, not the cause.

I am not against this concept, but are portability VS offtv and Switch VS Wii brand different enough to pass from failed concept to praised idea?

Oregano

Mario Kart, Smash and a possible Souls port along with the things we've already seen such as Splatoon, Mario and Skyrim. Though yeah, it's incredibly unlikely that all they'll show is stuff we know about; 3rd party announcements will make up for the leaks themselves I think.

Considering the Dark Souls rumour said they're waiting to see how Switch does before committing I doubt it's going to be announced next week.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Mario Kart was in the reveal trailer. Smash is such an old leak and so obvious that I don't count it. Everyone would expect it to show up regardless. I was surprised it wasn't in the reveal trailer. A souls port didn't sound like a leak to me. Didn't sound real. So that would be a surprise if it did happen anyway.

Non-exclusive games, multiplats, this is what I'm talking about.

I think a poster was talking about this earlier, but the 3DS (and of course the Wii U) didn't really have that many non-exclusive, multi-platform games to begin with. Nintendo did showed off Batman for the Wii U during their E3 conference, so I don't think they would exclude them if they have them.

AzaK

Not for me. The Wii U U.I. was abysmal in how slow it was. With a system that's as supposed to provide instant functionality between home console & portable console, I hope that speed & efficiency also translates to the U.I. I hope it's nothing like the 'channel browser' that the last two systems featured.

Not for me either. I know it'll have all Nintendo games so I don't care about knowing about those. I want to know how the system functions as a whole. Is it snappy, is it kiddie like Wii and Wii U? What are it's features and UI design etc.

I am not against this concept, but are portability VS offtv and Switch VS Wii brand different enough to pass from failed concept to praised idea?

Well, it's too early to say with any certainty how Switch will be received by the mass market, but (a) Wii U only supported off-TV play with a limited portion of its library and within a very limited physical radius, and (b) "the same gaming experience at home or on the go" is the singular, clearly defined USP, at least in the marketing up to this point (hopefully the presentation doesn't muddle the messaging with too much focus on motion controls or touch). There was no easy way to explain what the point of the Game Pad was in a single sentence, which is almost invariably a recipe for failure.

KingBroly

Banned
I hope the Musou game is like...Pikmin Musou or Kirby Musou or a Metroid Musou where you can play as like 20 different Samus suits.

AdanVC

Pretty much everything that could of went wrong with the Wii U (besides the games) went, well, horribly wrong

Absolutely, I saw it live and when the reveal trailer ended I genuinely didn't know if this was an add-on for Wii or the "new controller" was the actual console (Like the Switch it is now) or what!

the german amazon site for breath of the wild for wii u features the question by someone "do I need to buy a new wii u for that or can I play it on my wii"

there are still people out there who are mislead. even after so many years..

Jesus! A massive failure that will torment Nintendo till they drop Wii U and the Wii brand completely.

"Absolutely never EVER finish any product/prototype presentation with a video of fireworks, if you do that you will be doomed instantly"

Oregano

Well, it's too early to say with any certainty how Switch will be received by the mass market, but (a) Wii U only supported off-TV play with a limited portion of its library and within a very limited physical radius, and (b) "the same gaming experience at home or on the go" is the singular, clearly defined USP, at least in the marketing up to this point (hopefully the presentation doesn't muddle the messaging with too much focus on motion controls or touch). There was no easy way to explain what the point of the Game Pad was in a single sentence, which is almost invariably a recipe for failure.

Yeah the clash of second screen experiences and off-TV play was a black mark against Wii U. Even on GAF there was a lot of confusion and conflict.

AdanVC

What if you're selling fireworks?

What then?

Well, ehh...

giphy.gif

Anyone wonder if Nintendo bought off LKD and ER to keep them quiet prior to reveal?

If not I'm expecting an info dump on Tuesday or Wednesday. Not everything will be revealed. But we will have more info.

I hope people keep their expectations low as far as the presentation goes. It could end up being dry and not fireworks and crazy lights going off everywhere like it's E3.

I think expecting much more than seeing extended footage of the titles already seen in the announcement video is unreasonable.

You'll get Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart and some Mario 3D footage. Yes there will be more but those will be the only big hitters with smaller stuff padding out the presentation.

LordKano

Anyone wonder if Nintendo bought off LKD and ER to keep them quiet prior to reveal?

If not I'm expecting an info dump on Tuesday or Wednesday. Not everything will be revealed. But we will have more info.

Laura said since a long time she wouldn't say more because of the pressure of leaking. She just clarified things about what she previously reported (BGE2, Rabbids Kingdom) and some things that were already rumors since months (Mother 3).

Emily didn't report anything new since weeks too.

I think expecting much more than seeing extended footage of the titles already seen in the announcement videos is unreasonable.

Yes there will be more but those will be the only big hitters with smaller stuff padding out the presentation.

Expecting game announcements at an event planned to announce games in not unreasonable. Your opinion is the one unreasonable.

They'd be sunk as journalists if that were the case, so no.

Plus that would only encourage more people to leak.

I think expecting much more than seeing extended footage of the titles already seen in the announcement video is unreasonable.

You'll get Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart and some Mario 3D footage. Yes there will be more but those will be the only big hitters with smaller stuff padding out the presentation.

So you think Nintendo is going to showcase one Switch exclusive only?

Now that is unreasonable.

I think Laura wants to leave surprises for the presentation and she already has a lot of things to be stressed about come thursday. While the event will be fun for us, she will probably be very nervous at every announcement or lack of in regards to her leaks.

Also one thing that i want to note is that while GAF is generally respectful towards the leakers, even when they are wrong, people can be really nasty, especially if you are transgender or a woman. So Laura gets a lot of transphobic comments every time she leaks something, and Emily receives a lot of abuse too. I think this only adds to their stress.

So you think Nintendo is going to showcase one Switch exclusive only?

Now that is unreasonable.

No but Splatoon 2 will be the only big one
Then there are some smaller titles like (but not exactly) Wii Sports, Mario Party, Nintendoland, etc..

Just saying that we already know about the big games we care about

No but Splatoon 2 will be the only big one
Then there are some smaller titles like (but not exactly) Wii Sports, Mario Party, Nintendoland, etc..

Well, if you're talking Wii Sports / Nintendoland-esque games....maybe. But I also wouldn't consider those to be small projects.

I'm expecting at least three Nintendo games to be announced we know nothing about right now. If the only things shown next week are 3D Mario and a bunch of Wii U ports, they're in trouble.

In terms of interest to people that can't wait for the presentation they'll be smaller for sure.

I just think people expect too much, there won't be a AAA coming at or close to launch or otherwise we would've heard. I also think they will keep a bunch of announcements for later. This is a launch event and will showcase the launch games.

Yes....and the launch window isn't only going to consist of Mario and Wii U ports.

Plum

Also one thing that i want to note is that while GAF is generally respectful towards the leakers, even when they are wrong, people can be really nasty, especially if you are transgender or a woman. So Laura gets a lot of transphobic comments every time she leaks something, and Emily receives a lot of abuse too. I think this only adds to their stress.

Yep; whilst I'm not particularly fond of leakers in general personal attacks should never be allowed. If you have an issue with the leak or the way she leaked something, say so, but there's no need to make it about anything else.

LordKano

I think Laura wants to leave surprises for the presentation and she already has a lot of things to be stressed about come thursday. While the event will be fun for us, she will probably be very nervous at every announcement or lack of in regards to her leaks.

I've seen some disrespectful comments on NeoGAF too, so nowhere is safe from these shitposts.

Well, if you're talking Wii Sports / Nintendoland-esque games....maybe. But I also wouldn't consider those to be small projects.

I'm expecting at least three Nintendo games to be announced we know nothing about right now.

In terms of interest to people that can't wait for the presentation they'll be smaller for sure.

I just think people expect too much, there won't be a surprise AAA coming at or close to launch or otherwise we would've heard. I also think they will keep a bunch of announcements for later. This is a launch event and will showcase the launch games.

Kazooie

Banned
I wonder why so many were confused about the Wii's new controller.
Seriously I'd forgotten just how diabolical that trailer was.

NEW CONTROLLER emphasised 15 times. Not one single mention of NEW CONSOLE.

To show it with existing Wii peripherals like the board, remote and nunchuck. What a farce. I don't even know how they cocked it up so badly.

JonnyKong

It's still surreal to me that this is actually happening.

It felt like we were waiting forever for any kind of NX news, desperately clutching at anything.

And now here we are, by this time next week we'll actually have people on this forum talking about their hands on experiences.

Plum

It's still surreal to me that this is actually happening.

It felt like we were waiting forever for any kind of NX news, desperately clutching at anything.

And now here we are, by this time next week we'll actually have people on this forum talking about their hands on experiences.

Then in only two months it'll be out on store shelves.

It's been a wacky ride that's for sure. I can't see it getting any less wackier between now and March. This event is going to cause some major ripples; I don't see it just being "decent."

oti

Banned
Would expecting Animal Crossing Switch to be at least given a mention, well, expecting too much?
I think you are. There will be multiple key franchises highlighted in this event already. What is there to gain by throwing AC in the mix as well? Everybody knows it's coming anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom