• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will wait for animal crossing mobile before unveiling the Switch game. I can't wait for animal crossing, one of my favorites from nintendo. The welcome amiibo upgrade was like a super teaser to many cool things that could be implemented in the new game.

Nintendo seem so to have a console/handheld game coming when they release a mobile game.

Pokémon Go- Pokémon S/M
Super Mario Run- 3D Mario
Fire Emblem- Maybe a Fire Emblem collection for Switch?
Animal Crossing- New Animal Crossing game late 2017 or early 2018?

It still feels pretty early for both Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, unless the former was being worked on for the Wii U but got moved.

Assuming that the dev teams didn't get changed too much during the mergers, AC and Splatoon are still handled by one studio.

Both Awakening and Fates took 3 years to release after their previous installments. I don't know how well the 2-version thing worked out for them, but if they go that route again, I definitely don't expect a release this year.

Net

Werent people expecting fire emblem and animal crossing due to the supposed mobile games?

It's too early for Fire Emblem. This will be the first time the series goes HD, I wouldn't expect a smooth transition. Fire Emblem games are big these days.

Unless they just uprez and remaster Fates.

Werent people expecting fire emblem and animal crossing due to the supposed mobile games?
Not really.

More like People know Animal Crossing is perfect for moblie and Fire Emblem is their current IP on the rise.

Fire Emblems game take a while to develope regardless. The best is to hope for some VC releases. POR and RD would be nice.

126 hours to go.

Remember when Nintendo skipped E3 2016 with NX?

Honestly? If Nintendo really wasn't ready to show anything off regarding the Switch at E3, then I think it was for the best they didn't have much besides Zelda last year. Just wait until they're ready to show it.

Just look back at how disastrous E3 2015 was for them. Their major development teams were clearly transitioning over to the Switch at that point, so they coppled together a bunch of spin-offs no one wanted like Federation Force and amiibo Festival to distract us.

Honestly? If Nintendo really wasn't ready to show anything off regarding the Switch at E3, then I think it was for the best they didn't have much besides Zelda last year. Just wait until they're ready to show it.

Just look back at how disastrous E3 2015 was for them. Their major development teams were clearly transitioning over to the Switch at that point, so they coppled together a bunch of spin-offs no one wanted like Federation Force and amiibo Festival to distract us.

I know, but my point is that we are now 7 months further. We did it!!!!!

Blobbers

Why would I keep my expectations low when this is their one conference before the launch, probably? I'd understand if they also had an E3 before a holiday launch, but they kinda have to go all out to get people on board, right?

Terrell

considering the japanese focus of the even, i think mario, mario kart, or splatoon might be the first games we see though - with zelda sort of existing within their presentation.

I dunno, Nintendo seems to be making a concerted effort to bring Japanese gamers back to the franchise in ways they haven't before, so I would consider it a toss-up.

And the dubstep attacked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnq3IOTEws

At least the ending with the giant U logo made of all the different tiny rooms looks cool, IMHO

I'm so glad Scott Moffitt was quietly shown the door. Their marketing (which seems to be in NCL's control now) since that decision has been leaps and bounds better.

Mario Kart will be the only port they show of at length. Rest is sizzle reel i'd imagine.

Please, a Japanese press event without Splatoon, Japan's biggest new IP success story and new hotness franchise?

Wii U was such a horribly misconceived product on such a fundamental level that no slickly produced ad could have saved it. The ads and the E3 2011 "new controller" trailer were symptoms, not the cause; nothing could have ever made the Game Pad look like a compelling USP next to Wii, PS3/360, or mobile.

I think we can all agree that nothing would have saved the Wii U from being what it is. But it could have at least made it GameCube-level bad, instead of sharing ranks with the Sega Saturn.

Holy shit! I never quite realized how much emphasis was placed on the "New Controller". That has to be one of the worst marketing fails ever. I watched this shit live and didn't notice at the time how awful it was.

If you were anywhere near the internet at the time, how could you NOT notice? It was all that anyone could talk about.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If anything, Splatoon would be the port that they go into detail with since Japan absolutely adores it.

Splatoon is the hottest new franchise, but make no mistake about Mario Kart being their biggest IP in Japan. Both would likely get a 50/50 split.

I think that a sizzle reel for simple ports is good, but detailing mario kart and smash will bring a lot of hype regardless of them being ports or not. Splatoon i feel like it will be called splatoon 2, bringing all the content of the first game and much more. I think the japanese splatoon twitter got a lot of retweets and likes just for pointing out the new game on the switch trailer. (in the tens of thounsand retweets): https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/789107358542729222

Scrawnton

So excited to see what is in store for us next week. I always love the launch of a new Nintendo system and I really hope Nintendo learned their lessons from 3DS and Wii U and have a great year in store for us for Switch. It still hasn't hit me that I am two months away from the next Nintendo system and the next Zelda game.

Is a TLoZ: Wind Waker HD port to the Switch something likely?

Probably late in the systems life, especially if porting between Wii U and Switch is super easy. I honestly would like Nintendo to eventually port everything from Wii U over, just don't make a big deal about it. Just randomly say "Hey, Tropical Freeze is releasing this week as a $20 download, enjoy!"

sphinx

the piano man
I wish we could have a "place your bets" thread where we all try to guess several things like

price,
exact launch date,
1 as of now non-leaked/announced/revealed 1st party game
1 as of now non-leaked/announced/revealed exclusive 3rd party game
other stuff

I'd open a thread but I feel like they always backfire in some way or are misunderstood, so if anyone is willing to give it a try, then please!

oti

Banned
I'm really curious to see what the singleplayer situation is, other than that I have no doubt Splatoon isn't a port. Splatoon 2. Spla2n.

The_Lump

Banned
My point was that the games that haven't been already announced probably were embargoed for the event itself. Otherwise the developers would have talked already about them. Unless Nintendo somehow forbid everybody to talk about it. And that we know it's not true, because we still had some games announced.

So apart from the 3rd party games shown in the event there's no reason for others to be announced right after. Not in the following days/weeks at least.

Again, absolutely not what I'm saying. We'll see MORE of whatever they show in the event in the following days/weeks. Hence my use of "floodgates opening" :)

This was really in reply to discussion/worry about the length of the event. Basically, don't worry if it skims over or only teases games; you'll see developers talking more openly in the following days/weeks (and of course treehouse event will elaborate on at least the 1st party coverage). Which I find exciting.

Neoxon

I feel like Splatoon may blur the line between enhanced port & sequel. It's probably build off of the Wii U base, but there's probably a ton of upgrades to the game. It's why I could see it being called Splatoon Switch rather than "Splatoon: Refreshed" or "Spla2n".

I think a Splatoon single player adventure has a ton of potential. Just structure it exactly like Super Mario Sunshine.
That might be a bit too extensive for a multiplayer shooter.

I feel like Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash would each be best handled in their own Direct. Set aside some time between reveal & release, and go in hard on each for about 20 min. All we need for now is a confirmation.

sanstesy

I would have said Splatoon is a sequel if it weren't for Emily & LKD saying they are enhanced ports. There is just too much different even with the little we've seen for it to be a simple enhanced port a la MK8.

The_Lump

Banned
I think a Splatoon single player adventure has a ton of potential. Just structure it exactly like Super Mario Sunshine.

Opens with Browser Jr entering Splatoon's hub world through some kind of portal, stealing inkling tech to finally complete his assault on the Pianta's of Isle Defino.

Inklings give chase, and BOOM: we have a Super Mario Sunshine spin-off/Splatoon cross-over :D

You're welcome Nintendo.

I think they will keep a fairly short campaign. Multiplayer focused shooters always make a single player like a tutorial of sorts. I think they can make a new one with the length of the first one, with maybe a few more stuff

Everyone should listen to Miyamoto introduction of Wii U at E3 2012 in the begining. He is literally talking about Switch. You can copy and paste that verbiage and say it again next week and it would work.

Scrawnton

I think they will keep a fairly short campaign. Multiplayer focused shooters always make a single player like a tutorial of sorts. I think they can make a new one with the length of the first one, with maybe a few more stuff

That might be a bit too extensive for a multiplayer shooter.

Yeah Splatoon is a multiplayer shooter but is doesn't have to be it's only claim to fame. Splatoon is a unique franchise that can have a single player campaign that rivals the fun and complexity of a Mario 3D adventure and a multiplayer mode that can rival overwatch.

I would hate to see Nintendo abandon its single player potential just becaue people see it as a multiplayer shooter.

I wouldn't mind a $60 single player adventure that launches along side a f2p multiplayer game. Splatoon already places a lot of focus on style and outfits so maybe go f2p and add cosmetic micro transactions.

I would have said Splatoon is a sequel if it weren't for Emily & LKD saying they are enhanced ports. There is just too much different even with the little we've seen for it to be a simple enhanced port a la MK8.

I think nintendo is very careful with their messaging. They showed MK on a known track but Splatoon was new stage, new assets, new animation..

That means sequel to me. I agree that we wouldn't even debate it if it werent for the leakers and they don't seem to know any names lf the games outside of that ubi one but LKD has a source there.

I think they just assume ports because it's the same engine and concept.

Plum

If Splatoon and Mario Kart are 1080p docked shouldn't we call them remasters? Because just calling them "ports" seems weird as they'll likely get at least some graphical enhancements. This gen has shown that the bar for what's considered a "remaster" is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom