• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will keep a fairly short campaign. Multiplayer focused shooters always make a single player like a tutorial of sorts. I think they can make a new one with the length of the first one, with maybe a few more stuff

Titanfall 2 might be a good model to observe here. Build a really strong, well-paced 8-hour campaign - accompanying a deep and rewarding multiplayer shooter.

Scrawnton

I think nintendo is very careful with their messaging. They showed MK on a known track but Splatoon was new stage, new assets, new animation..

That means sequel to me. I agree that we wouldn't even debate it if it werent for the leakers and they don't seem to know any names lf the games outside of that ubi one but she has a source there.

If cod multiplayer can add new maps and some weapon remixes with a new unlock path and be considered a sequel, then whatever they add to Splatoon may be enough to be considered a sequel.

Scrawnton

Titanfall 2 might be a good model to observe here. Build a really strong, well-paced 8-hour campaign - accompanying a deep and rewarding multiplayer shooter.
But that's not what Splatoon is. Making a "shooter campaign" for Splatoon willl greatly sell short the potential it has. Splatoon would fit the 3D platformer structure that Mario and Banjo did very very well.

2015 was also the stuff of nightmares as well.

The worst part about that was when Reggie looked at the camera and flat out told us they were giving us BS spinoffs just to buy time until we can get the real stuff on Switch.

Did you play the campaign for Splatoon? It was pretty lengthy and inventive. Drew a ton of inspiration from 3D Mario games like Galaxy. They just need more of that.

I enjoy the puppets too much to feel disappointed by 2015.
Plus since they introduce treehouse. I consider that all to be part of the direct. And those guys were great that year.

2015 was also the stuff of nightmares as well.

2015 was terrible, but i can sort of understand that as a stop gap because the teams were shifting to focus on switch and they were bringing spin offs to fill the schedule. So while at the time it was terrible, i can understand why it was like that. I felt bad too because of iwata's death being close to it and people hating the show. E3 2016 was much better because they showed a phenomenal title, so i really enjoyed it and can also understand that they were waiting to show the switch at the time.

E3 2008 was nintendo having the biggest success of the company yet. Wii and DS at peak sales. And they were full on casual audience. The only games for "hardcore" were animal crossing, which wasn't a big evolution from wild world, and gta chinatown wars. Really glad that E3 2009 was much more balanced in that.

E3 2012 was basically nintendo being absolutely clueless about how to promote their new system, when it was the SECOND time doing it. Only exciting title was pikmin 3, a super niche title that only me, five other people and miyamoto loves. Endend with nintendo land fireworks, a game that while good, didn't sell the concept of the system like wii sports.

E3 2003 had pacman versus. that's it.

Mandelbo

I remember watching that Wii U reveal with friends on skype and none of us really getting that it was a totally new console.

God, their marketing for the Wii U across basically its whole lifespan was bad, but the first couple of years were utterly dire.

Gaspard

I wish we could have a "place your bets" thread where we all try to guess several things like

price,
exact launch date,
1 as of now non-leaked/announced/revealed 1st party game
1 as of now non-leaked/announced/revealed exclusive 3rd party game
other stuff

I'd open a thread but I feel like they always backfire in some way or are misunderstood, so if anyone is willing to give it a try, then please!

There already is one open.

My guesses are:

$249/229£/249€ with one SKU.
March 17th
Metroid/FE/Animal Crossing
Idk about third party exclusives that haven't already been discussed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's too early for Fire Emblem. This will be the first time the series goes HD, I wouldn't expect a smooth transition. Fire Emblem games are big these days.

Unless they just uprez and remaster Fates.

Not really.

More like People know Animal Crossing is perfect for moblie and Fire Emblem is their current IP on the rise.

Fire Emblems game take a while to develope regardless. The best is to hope for some VC releases. POR and RD would be nice.

That would be depressing and worrisome

Mobile games delayed? Just to let the crowd forget about N existence in that ecosystem?

Or

No brand awarness effect from the release of Switch games few months later the mobile apps? It worked for pokemon also because of the short timelapse

And

No actual signs of portable lineup merging with the home one? People continue saying that pokemon stars wont be there to not cut sun/moon legs, Laura told us to not expect Mhxx at the event, if also FE and AC wont be there, good luck in getting Japanese attention (from dev and market) and the trust of the general public of being able to put out a solid stream of games

Plum

Reconsidering posting that "Are we relying too much on the Wii U to predict the Switch's success?" thread I talked about yesterday (minus the analogies, of course). I don't see why one discussing the pre-conceived notions surrounding the Switch would be locked, though a mod's opinion would help here of course.

That would be depressing and worrisome

Mobile games delayed? Just to let the crowd forget about N existence in that ecosystem?

Or

No brand awarness effect from the release of Switch games few months later the mobile apps? It worked for pokemon also because of the short timelapse

And

No actual signs of portable lineup merging with the home one? People continue saying that pokemon stars wont be there to not cut sun/moon legs, Laura told us to not expect Mhxx at the event, if also FE and AC wont be there, good luck in getting Japanese attention (from dev and market) and the trust of the general public of being able to put out a solid stream of games
Calm down Todd.

Debirudog

The Wii U had a lot of issues that aren't really apparent at all with the Switch. I think it holds a merit for discussion but the comparison to Trump/Brexit is what made people go "what"

Scrawnton

Reconsidering posting that "Are we relying too much on the Wii U to predict the Switch's success?" thread I talked about yesterday (minus the analogies, of course). I don't see why one discussing the pre-conceived notions surrounding the Switch would be locked, though a mod's opinion would help here of course.
I think until Friday most Switch threads will be locked anyway. Either becaue of trolls or not enough information to justify another thread.

Plum

The Wii U had a lot of issues that aren't really apparent at all with the Switch. I think it holds a merit for discussion but the comparison to Trump/Brexit is what made people go "what"

I realize the analogy wasn't clear enough and people clearly weren't understanding so yeah, better to get rid of it.

I think until Friday most Switch threads will be locked anyway. Either becaue of trolls or not enough information to justify another thread.

It's a shame really. I feel like there's a lot of discussions to be had but we've just got this thread and the prediction thread. I'm not a fan of how anything about the Switch feels like treading on eggshells (in terms of attracting trolls and general shitposting), and I don't see that changing after the event.

I really hope this new Splatoon game be it a sequel or advanced port I want it to have more to the local multiplayer and more to the story.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Probably old (as I already posted in this thread) but more in-depth details regarding region free rumors.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=227840171
Last I had heard, which might have changed because it was like last summer, the Switch is region free for games and accounts, but

At the time, I was told you can't have multiple accounts on it that are from different regions. That is to say, yes your copy of SMT5 works on your US Switch regardless of your account, but if you're using a US account on that Switch, you can't access the Japanese store to download its DLC.

Who knows if this has changed or not. I remember thinking it was real dumb at the time.

Scum

Where's my NintenDOS announcement, NCL?
You might mean well, but the thread will not end in a good manner. At all. My advice? Just don't bother and keep the discussion in here. GamingGAF will be a mess come Friday anyway. :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why would I keep my expectations low when this is their one conference before the launch, probably? I'd understand if they also had an E3 before a holiday launch, but they kinda have to go all out to get people on board, right?

Yeah, this is something I don't get either. Nintendo hasn't had a great direct/event since E3 2015. After that the Directs were very scarce. Wii U was also practically abandoned at the same time. For all these the main excuse was that Nintendo prepares the NX and that whatever they have to show will be for NX.

So they should damn compensate for the past poor years with this event. Why shouldn't I expect that all this wait was worthy? I mean this wasn't just a long drought of games, but also a long drought of big events as a Nintendo fan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Calm down Todd.

What I am not yet understanding is the stratrgy behind the Switch
Nintendo failed hard with the wiiu and while the 3ds To me is a good success, it showed a declining dedicated portable market

Switch should be crucial but still reading rumors and GAF it seems that

- No actual portable icon will be announced
- Despite the lack of 3ds and wiiu games internally developed in the latest months, few new games will be presented
- Despite its delays, Zelda could miss launch in EU
- Despite 3ds and wiiu price issues we could still see the console priced as the more performing psi slim
- Despite the lack of significant news and info since the forever for Nintendo fans, we could just see a normal conf focused just on the first bunch of games

This is not what I would arrange in their situation after the wiiu

antonz

Sounds dumb but significantly less dumb than region locking.

SMTV for Switch confirmed

Sounds very Nintendo. Stop caring about the Physical nature of games as far as regions. Still have locks on digital. Which is likely tied to the different age systems etc. That's always been one of Nintendo given reasons for region locking in the first place.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Sounds dumb but significantly less dumb than region locking.

SMTV for Switch confirmed
Yeah makes me sad. I wouldn't even necessarily need multiple accounts. just the ability to change the location of the system to access another region's Store would be enough for me. Nintendo gonna Nintendo though.

Graphics not being better than Vita(even though they blatantly are)

I don't think we'll get that, but we might get "It's not a generational leap" over the Vita, or "a small one." Vita was very impressive next to the 3DS but even Wii U power would be a huge jump.

Oregano

Sounds very Nintendo. Stop caring about the Physical nature of games as far as regions. Still have locks on digital. Which is likely tied to the different age systems etc. That's always been one of Nintendo given reasons for region locking in the first place.

Yeah makes me sad. I wouldn't even necessarily need multiple accounts. just the ability to change the location of the system to access another region's Store would be enough for me. Nintendo gonna Nintendo though.

Isn't it how Vita worked as well?

EDIT:
I don't think we'll get that, but we might get "It's not a generational leap" over the Vita, or "a small one." Vita was very impressive next to the 3DS but even Wii U power would be a huge jump.

Well there is still people who insist the 3DS is not as powerful as the PSP.

Why would I keep my expectations low when this is their one conference before the launch, probably? I'd understand if they also had an E3 before a holiday launch, but they kinda have to go all out to get people on board, right?

Preach.

I still think it's funny that 3D Mario and Wii U ports is considered reasonable expectations. No, that's what I'd call incredibly low expectations.

To me, reasonable expectations are all of the above + three or four brand new first party announcements. They don't have to be in-depth gameplay trailers or demonstrations, but if the best we're hoping for is Mario and ports of titles from Nintendo's last console, there's a problem.

What I am not yet understanding is the stratrgy behind the Switch
Nintendo failed hard with the wiiu and while the 3ds To me is a good success, it showed a declining dedicated portable market

All your concerns based on rumors. Why don't you wait a few days? Its pointless to speculate such things now. Most of this things will be adressed at the switch event.

Alpha_eX

Friday 13th is going to be pretty damn cool for me, waking up early for the live stream then hands on a few hours later. I'm buzzing!

Not sure if I should try avoid the stream and totally do a media black out until I get hands on.

Raet

So as a European, is there any reason whatsoever to have a European account (assuming you speak English)?

I missed out on the Wii U so would appreciate if someone can fill me in on how good the Euro digital store is, but I'm assuming the North American one is better?

Plum

You might mean well, but the thread will not end in a good manner. At all. My advice? Just don't bother and keep the discussion in here. GamingGAF will be a mess come Friday anyway. :p

Oh god it's going to be a wasteland. Bans. Bans as far as the eye can see... probably.

To be honest it's just that I'm getting tired of the tired "but the Wii U..." arguments; they're on the same level to me as "Drake is a serial killer." They're not arguments

Mr Swine

Banned

People that say that are blind, show me a Vita game that looks close to as good as a Zelda and I will agree. Otherwise that is just fudd

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Switch should be crucial but still reading rumors and GAF it seems that

- No actual portable icon will be announced
- Despite the lack of 3ds and wiiu games internally developed in the latest months, few new games will be presented
- Despite its delays, Zelda could miss launch in EU
- Despite 3ds and wiiu price issues we could still see the console priced as the more performing psi slim
- Despite the lack of significant news and info since the forever for Nintendo fans, we could just see a normal conf focused just on the first bunch of games

This is not what I would arrange in their situation after the wiiu

You're literally just cherrypicking negative gaf posts for most of this. Relax

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wii U e3 was the stuff of nightmares, after the fireworks I felt so empty inside lol

I remember thinking "they will never have this chance again"

A year headstart, 360/ps3 fatigue, tons of cash from the Wii days and they sill blew it.

I would hope this isn't true. It's not just a lack of games we've received but that many are pared down games compared to what we'd be getting if the Wii U was healthy. We know at least three Wii U games were moved to Switch (Zelda, Pikmin and Mario) plus Ultimate editions (Smash, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Mario Kart). The only straight up new game is Rabbids thus far, but I would hope we see more. Especially if all 3DS development outside a few they revealed is moving to Switch, we should be seeing games from the Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing teams plus whatever Retro is working on.

Plum

People that say that are blind, show me a Vita game that looks close to as good as a Zelda and I will agree. Otherwise that is just fudd

Yeah Vita games looked great in certain instances but even then Killzone: Mercenary and Golden were sub-PS3 levels, not to mention that many games ran at lower than 540p.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So as a European, is there any reason whatsoever to have a European account (assuming you speak English)?

I missed out on the Wii U so would appreciate if someone can fill me in on how good the Euro digital store is, but I'm assuming the North American one is better?
i would say yes especially if Zelda is delayed.

Isn't it how Vita worked as well?

EDIT:

Well there is still people who insist the 3DS is not as powerful as the PSP.
you can make multiple accounts on vita I believe. Haven't done it on mine but a friend did it on theirs.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It SHOULD focus on the first batch of games. Maybe some teasers for the end of the year, but sheesh E3 isn't dead yet.

sphinx

the piano man
There already is one open.

My guesses are:

$249/229£/249€ with one SKU.
March 17th
Metroid/FE/Animal Crossing
Idk about third party exclusives that haven't already been discussed.

oh thanks I must have missed it,

if the best we're hoping for is Mario and ports of titles from Nintendo's last console, there's a problem.

the thing I am worried about is nintendo just putting a ton of cute but minor things similar to Captain Toad, Kirby and Yoshi games for Wii U on switch, nothing against those games but I'd rather have more big robust mainline Metroid, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus entries.

antonz

It SHOULD focus on the first batch of games. Maybe some teasers for the end of the year, but sheesh E3 isn't dead yet.

Exactly and unlike recent years where they downplayed E3. I expect they will push E3 again as it still remains a very important show when you actually have stuff for it.

Kouriozan

I'd say this'll likely be true, they might want to show games that'll release soon enough for them, and keep surprises for E3.
Might get a few 3 sec teasers like Zelda U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom