• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it how Vita worked as well?
Basically. Account swapping on that thing is a pain that needs extra memory cards and required reformatting the system. Easily one of the biggest annoyances of the Vita, especially when something like the PS4 allows such labor-free account swapping.

Neoxon

Makes sense, Nintendo doesn't want to cut sales of S&M prematurely
That plus The Pokémon Company would probably want the spotlight to be exclusively on them for Pokémon Stars' initial reveal. As mentioned before, if it's not at the Switch Presentation, I'd expect a separate Direct for the reveal of Stars sometime during the Spring, with more info at E3.

Scum

Oh god it's going to be a wasteland. Bans. Bans as far as the eye can see... probably.

To be honest it's just that I'm getting tired of the tired "but the Wii U..." arguments; they're on the same level to me as "Drake is a serial killer." They're not arguments
It's unfortunate but you'll never be able to have a decent discussion. The thread would be ruined by the same old tripe & schtick.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Possibly; there will likely be two with a few "smaller" games to bolster the lineup.

I just don't see them relying on yet another port to sell the console during the holidays.
You can get away with it with the wiiu ones because nobody played them, pokemon though..

oti

Banned
What I am not yet understanding is the stratrgy behind the Switch
Nintendo failed hard with the wiiu and while the 3ds To me is a good success, it showed a declining dedicated portable market

Switch should be crucial but still reading rumors and GAF it seems that

- No actual portable icon will be announced
- Despite the lack of 3ds and wiiu games internally developed in the latest months, few new games will be presented
- Despite its delays, Zelda could miss launch in EU
- Despite 3ds and wiiu price issues we could still see the console priced as the more performing psi slim
- Despite the lack of significant news and info since the forever for Nintendo fans, we could just see a normal conf focused just on the first bunch of games

This is not what I would arrange in their situation after the wiiu

Can't you base your pessismism on facts rather than rumours? Isn't that exhausting at some point?

Both most likely if the rumors are true about Stars bring a thing.
Mario and Pokemon would make a kickass holiday line-up that's for sure.

Plum

I just don't see them relying on yet another port to sell the console during the holidays.
You can get away with it with the wiiu ones because nobody played them, pokemon though..

It won't be a port; it will be the "3rd version" (i.e. Platinum, Yellow, etc), it will have enough graphical enhancements to be considered a remaster (going from 240p to 1080p) and on top of that it will be the first home console mainline Pokemon game.

Wedzi

Banned
Ok so I'm pretty sold on buying a Switch at launch (my first launch console ever!) but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best place to preorder? Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. Any suggestions? The only reason I'm asking is I'm worried about how many will be available. Wound be terrible if Amazon cancelled my preorder prior to launch or if there's some kind of long term shortage like the Wii had. Where do you guys plan on preordering from?

Plum

Ok so I'm pretty sold on buying a Switch at launch (my first launch console ever!) but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best place to preorder? Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. Any suggestions? The only reason I'm asking is I'm worried about how many will be available. Wound be terrible if Amazon cancelled my preorder prior to launch or if there's some kind of long term shortage like the Wii had. Where do you guys plan on preordering from?

The best bet if you care only about availability is any local store where one wouldn't likely bring up if you told them to name game retailers. I'm going to try to preorder at my local Tesco (massive UK supermarket chain, not a big videogame presence) instead of my local GAME, for example.

Failing that, Amazon possibly. I'm not entirely sure tbh.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Any mention of Animal Crossing Switch

~ €250

SOLD

I'm personally most interested in the hardware and OS side of things. Learning more about Joy-Cons, the Pro Controller, getting a better look at the system from more angles, seeing what the OS is like and what features it has etc. Games are released all the time, but seeing a new generation of hardware is like once every five years. It's very exciting.

~ €250

SOLD

Animal Crossing: Joy-Con Switchtival.

delSai

Have there been any rumors about a possible Tomodachi Life port? Thats a port i would wanna play, especially if the Switch had some kind of streaming/sharing function. After watching lets plays of it for a shit ton of hours, i wanna play it myself lol.

sanstesy

A new Animal Crossing can't be that far off. I could see it in holiday 2017 if they only have Pokemon there. Will be huge for Japan.

Plum

I'm personally most interested in the hardware and OS side of things. Learning more about Joy-Cons, the Pro Controller, getting a better look at the system from more angles, seeing what the OS is like and what features it has etc. Games are released all the time, but a seeing a new generation of hardware is like once every five years. It's very exciting.

Yep. I'm weird in that I actually care about what a game's title screen looks like and what a console's UI is like (after technical issues, of course). Seeing how Nintendo will differentiate the Switch from the Wii/Wii U UI philosophy is going to be great. I hope they don't just do flat tiles like the PS4 and X1 opted for, though.

Wedzi

Banned
Yep. I'm weird in that I actually care about what a game's title screen looks like and what a console's UI is like (after technical issues, of course). Seeing how Nintendo will differentiate the Switch from the Wii/Wii U UI philosophy is going to be great. I hope they don't just do flat tiles like the PS4 and X1 opted for, though.

The great question, will there be a start up sound?

And thanks for the advice. I guess I could try my local Meijer which has a small video game presence but I am familiar with my local Gamestop guys. They wouldn't betray me!?

Mithos

Gold Member

~ €250

SOLD

Someone just reminded me of a new tax in Sweden, for using hazardous chemicals in products... the Switch can get an additional fee of up to ~$/€12 depending on the weight of the Switch, and that is on top of the usual $/€50 add on to the price normally...

So a €250 price tag "could" end up €310 for us in Sweden. =( =(

Plum

The great question, will there be a start up sound?

And thanks for the advice. I guess I could try my local Meijer which has a small video game presence but I am familiar with my local Gamestop guys. They wouldn't betray me!?

If you get in early Thursday evening (?) you should be fine; they want your custom, after all.

As for the startup sound, this might actually be a good idea: https://youtu.be/f5uik5fgIaI?t=202
...though whether having voices in a startup sound would be a good idea is unclear.

Frankly I just want that "click" sound somewhere in the device. If it's not there Nintendo has lost my trust.

Oersted

I do wonder if we see Kimi at the presentation. Not faulting him for avoiding the spotlight, mind you.

Edit:

Haha, thanks guys

Plum

I do wonder if we see Kimi at the presentation. Not faulting him for avoiding the spotlight, mind you.

It's likely. The presentation is in Japanese instead of English so it definitely won't be Reggie and I doubt Miyamoto wants to present something so big, he's often just done "cameo" appearances for a single game in past conferences.

EDIT: Ah, it's confirmed. Makes sense.

Terrell

Not a port.

If it were just a port, I would agree with you. But it clearly isn't going to be.

I can't bring myself to rewatch e3 2003, 2008 and 2012. Too traumatic

I don't know why someone would want to revisit multiple hour-long PR events in the first place. Once is more than enough.

If Splatoon and Mario Kart are 1080p docked shouldn't we call them remasters? Because just calling them "ports" seems weird as they'll likely get at least some graphical enhancements. This gen has shown that the bar for what's considered a "remaster" is very low.

Yeah, this is kind of proof that people are influenced pretty heavily by marketing. The Last Of Us being called a remaster after less than 2 years had passed was... interesting.

But in the end, remasters ARE ports, so it's really a distinction without a difference, except one sounds nicer.

I will laugh if Wii U's enhanced ports for Switch get universally shat on for being "ports" by people who bought The Last Of Us Remastered who will then defensively pretend that it's not the same thing. I love watching a good double-standard being exposed.

You're literally just cherrypicking negative gaf posts for most of this. Relax

I'd say he was a troll at this point and to ignore him, but I'm not sure that he's entirely self-aware enough to be classified as such.

NSESN

Cmon guys new leaf released 2012 in Japan, even Zelda had ALBW released in this timeframe. There has to be a new game this year.

Vena

I could see Kimimishima handling the introduction and chunks of the presentation as a "Hello, I am going to work hard to take over from Iwata" sort of introduction and building of a face for the company with the fans.

Wish we didn't have conflicting rumors on the price, heh. Still have no idea how much this thing will cost at/around launch, super curious on it.

Plum

Yeah, this is kind of proof that people are influenced pretty heavily by marketing. The Last Of Us being called a remaster after less than 2 years had passed was... interesting.

But in the end, remasters ARE ports, so it's really a distinction without a difference, except one sounds nicer.

I will laugh if Wii U's enhanced ports for Switch get universally shat on for being "ports" by people who bought The Last Of Us Remastered who will then defensively pretend that it's not the same thing. I love watching a good double-standard being exposed.

The Last of Us at least was 1080p/60fps; some remasters like the Dishonored one are literally just 1080p versions of the original game sold for almost full price.

But yeah, the arguments for so many remasters on PS4 and Xbox One are two-fold for remasters on the Switch as one; the Wii U sold terribly compared to PS3/X360 and two; they're by default adding portability which is a pretty big feature. I'm fine with all remasters and remakes as long as they're both good and aren't just replacements for new games in said series; it's why I'm wary of the Parappa, Patapon, Wipeout, Crash, Mario Kart and Smash remasters as we don't know if they will get a new game anytime soon.

Wedzi

Banned
If you get in early Thursday evening (?) you should be fine; they want your custom, after all.

As for the startup sound, this might actually be a good idea: https://youtu.be/f5uik5fgIaI?t=202
...though whether having voices in a startup sound would be a good idea is unclear.

Frankly I just want that "click" sound somewhere in the device. If it's not there Nintendo has lost my trust.

I wonder if the "click" sound will be used for the lock sound or maybe when you switch device modes? Sort of similar to the click an iPhone makes when you lock it. Sometimes the smallest details go a long way to making a device feel unique and special.

Remember back in 2010 when 3DS looked worse than PSP and Resident Evil Revelations was all CG?
The PSP does have a higher res screen, and the 3DS doesn't destroy it in raw power. One major advantage the 3DS has is its great fixed shaders that games like RE:R utilities very well.

The Switch is much more powerful than the PSVita in all levels, so I have doubts about people legitimately comparing them after we see the games.

Raet

Someone just reminded me of a new tax in Sweden, for using hazardous chemicals in products... the Switch can get an additional fee of up to ~$/€12 depending on the weight of the Switch, and that is on top of the usual $/€50 add on to the price normally...

So a €250 price tag "could" end up €310 for us in Sweden. =( =(
That tax doesn't go into effect until April 1st. Hopefully we can get around it by grabbing Switch launch units.

Cmon guys new leaf released 2012 in Japan, even Zelda had ALBW released in this timeframe. There has to be a new game this year.

Animal Crossing and Splatoon are developed by the same group. There was also Happy Home Designer and the New Leaf Update. Saying that, we don't know how the staff was divided.

Mithos

Gold Member
That tax doesn't go into effect until April 1st. Hopefully we can get around it by grabbing Switch launch units.

While true I'm not paying more then €250 for a Switch, and I expect it to land €300 locally, I would be positively surprised if I can pick one up locally at the equivalent of €250.

So Switch be successful... but not too successful.

WadeitOut

The answer is always Amazon. Unless you want to get it at midnight. Then probably Gamestop.

brad-t

My worry about Animal Crossing is that it's such a good fit for mobile that it might end up only there. But I'm hoping this would be too at-odds with Nintendo's strategy of using mobile titles to sell consoles, because ... I really want a new console Animal Crossing.

My worry about Animal Crossing is that it's such a good fit for mobile that it might end up only there. But I'm hoping this would be too at-odds with Nintendo's strategy of using mobile titles to sell consoles, because ... I really want a new console Animal Crossing.

There was a verge interview with miyamoto during super mario run marketing run where he said the following:

While Nintendo may not be able to replicate that kind of staggered release exactly with future mobile games, the general idea will be the same. “We have Super Mario Run releasing now, and it’s already decided that we’ll be making a Mario game for our next system,” Miyamoto says. “And similarly with Animal Crossing, the hope is that when we release the Animal Crossing mobile game, we’ll have more people who become familiar with the Animal Crossing world and characters, so that when we next release an Animal Crossing game we’ll have a much larger audience who will be interested.” Miyamoto also notes that some other franchises, such as pet-rearing simulator Nintendogs, could potentially work better as mobile-only experiences. “Depending on the IP there are different opportunities,” he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom