• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wait before buying a new console at lauch usualy i wait 2 to 3 year to buy one , but if they have zelda, a new mario , mario kart and pokemon in the first i wont be able to resist

Hydrus

Quick Predictions:

249.99 Basic 32GB
299.99 Deluxe 128GB
349.99 Limited edition Zelda 128GB bundle

Day 1:
Zelda BOTW
Super Mario Switch
Retro's new IP
Pikmin
Rabbids/ Mario RPG
Mario Kart 8 switch
Splatoon switch

Summer:
Pokemon Stars
Xenoblade switch
Smash bros switch

Meesh

My predictions.

Main Presentation
$249.99 USD base price
$299.99 USD bundle price
Launch date
Launch line up (including BotW and Splatoon)
Dark Souls trilogy with all DLC included releasing late 2017/early 2018
Monster Hunter XX
BG&E2
Pikmin
New Nintendo Musou
Metroid 5/Metroid Prime 4 (plz)
Retro's new game (plz)
Mother 3 VC (plz)
Gamecube VC
Specs and stuff
A close looks at the system itself

Treehouse Stream
At least one new game announcement
A close look at the OS
Games Games Games
This is exactly what I want!!! Therefore... it won't happen. :( but I can dream.....

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Everyone's so laser focused on the twitter circle, that they are missing what should be obvious. A new project from the Wii Sports / Nintendo Land team.

So how much does the Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Wii/NintendoLand teams of Group 2 intersect with each other?

According to wikipedia, it was 2015 when Group 2's last two projects released (AC: Happy Home Designer and Splatoon), but they also released large content updates for Splatoon and AC: New Leaf throughout these last two years. We also know that Splatoon Switch is coming (rumored for this year), and one would imagine that Animal Crossing Switch has to be hitting in the near future to maximize off of potential mindshare gains related to the Animal Crossing Mobile release, scheduled for Q1 2017.

So excuse my ignorance, but is Group 2 big enough to have a third project ready for the launch window of the Switch? And is the Wii Sports/Land team completely separate from the Splatoon/Animal Crossing teams?

thefro

People should stop expecting Nintendo to reveal specs at the presentation. They never do that. The only thing that I could see them mentioning is the RAM.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161027_2e.pdf

Kimishima said:
We plan to announce the price, software lineup, specifications and other product details for Nintendo Switch at a special “Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017” planned for January 13, 2017 (JST).

New regime, new rules.

The Investor's Q&A is a good thing to review as well for those of you making predictions.

Speely

Banned
Thoughts on the Mario game title:

If Nintendo really is going at this launch as a reinvention, it would make sense that they would want to call back to other reinventions. When did that happen?

Super Mario 64. Named after the system it was released on. Signaled a new, different era of Mario.

Super Mario Switch might not be the most endearing name in a vaccum, but it would communicate something to consumers that indicates Nintendo means business. And it's named after the system it's on. AND it ostensibly hearkens back to the SM64 approach, which might be relevant here.

I dunno, I just see it as poetry. YMMV.

Penguin

Everyone's so laser focused on the twitter circle, that they are missing what should be obvious. A new project from the Wii Sports / Nintendo Land team.

I am most curious to see their big casual/family-oriented title for launch.

I feel like it will be some form of NintendoLand evolution with everyone being able to have their own screen, but who knows.

NateDrake

I don't know, but NeoGaf Matt said @ end of november 2016, that Switch could run the likes of Assassins Creed Unity.

What is your stance to this at the moment?

My stance? Porting shouldn't be an issue, but we won't be getting 1:1 ports of Xbox One/PS4 games. Ports will need to be scaled in some capacity - be it number of NPC on the screen or textures. I know of a handful of third-party titles planned for Switch release, but release is way off in the distance. Still, early support is a good sign that the hardware is capable enough to handle the engines of these cross-platform games.

I tried to put some riské ones, but with everything that leaked...

I just realized I didn't even put Xenoblade, Monolith and Beyond Good and Evil 2 in there.

I think the Mario at Launch and no Miiverse ones are riské?
Is riské the same as risqué?

If so.......wat

Terrell

People should stop expecting Nintendo to reveal specs at the presentation. They never do that. The only thing that I could see them mentioning is the RAM.

I'm sure they'll officially reveal the touchscreen and IR pointer, but I highly doubt they'll be listing off RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. figures.

They also never released a region-free console, and only 3 of its handhelds have offered it. Yet, here we are, with region-free being a strong likelihood.

Never mind the fact that they actually HAVE revealed specs of their hardware, only Iwata-era Nintendo didn't do that.
GameCube's specs were revealed several months before the console launched at its official announcement in August 2000 and were compared to the PS2 at GREAT lengths, with hilarious results in retrospect.
SNES and NES were released with the full specs outlined at the time of their announcement.

Iwata is not in charge anymore (albeit by unfortunate circumstance), so whatever rules you think Nintendo operates by aren't sacrosanct anymore.

orioto

Good Art™
I am most curious to see their big casual/family-oriented title for launch.

I feel like it will be some form of NintendoLand evolution with everyone being able to have their own screen, but who knows.

I still think if they had that they would have demoed it on Fallon. That's the whole point i mean...

Wollan

Release date leaked?

gameseekprice.png

http://www.shacknews.com/article/98...-leaked?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PSGames

They also never released a region-free console, and only 3 of its handhelds have offered it. Yet, here we are, with region-free being a strong likelihood.

Never mind the fact that they actually HAVE revealed specs of their hardware, only Iwata-era Nintendo didn't do that.
GameCube's specs were revealed several months before the console launched at its official announcement in August 2000 and were compared to the PS2 at GREAT lengths, with hilarious results in retrospect.
SNES and NES were released with the full specs outlined at the time of their announcement.

Iwata is not in charge anymore (albeit by unfortunate circumstance), so whatever rules you think Nintendo operates by aren't sacrosanct anymore.

Well the key take away there isn't Iwata. It's that their hardware was better in some way over the competition at the time.

I doubt they will release full specs. Perhaps compare it to other handhelds or last gen. I'm hoping they show some graphics demo so we can see what the thing is capable of.

Speely

Banned
I still think if they had that they would have demoed it on Fallon. That's the whole point i mean...

Respectfully disagree. The Fallon bit was a way to keep the Nintendo brand in the spotlight, much like Mario at the Olympics. Hitting broad markets with strong IP presence.

Nintendo still wants to save some things for their own (very expensive and carefully-planned) event. You don't waste reveals on promotional endeavors. You own them. Literally.

Gaspard

This works under the impression that they won't do Fallon or Ellen or something again.

If anything Switch needs as many TV promo spots as possible. Ellen, Conan, Colbert, etc.

Zelda would be a cool game to demo but I think it's a little tired as the show-off game (then again most people aren't enthusiasts like me that look up every demo).

Terrell

Well the key take away there isn't Iwata. It's that their hardware was better in some way over the competition at the time.

I doubt they will release full specs. Perhaps compare it to other handhelds or last gen. I'm hoping they show some graphics demo so we can see what the thing is capable of.

SNES had a more powerful competitor, as did the Game Boy.

No, the key takeaway there IS Iwata. The very second he was put in charge, specs of new hardware disappeared.

This started with the Nintendo DS, which further invalidates your idea that specs were released only when it favoured comparatively to the competition, because until E3 2004, Nintendo had NO competitor in the handheld space, and specs were still never officially released when it was announced in 2003, nor any time after that.

EDIT: This is also abundantly clear in all of Iwata's posturing about specs and their irrelevance, a position that Nintendo had never once taken previously and, based on Miyamoto's comments in later years, was something the development staff wasn't 100% on board with.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If anything Switch needs as many TV promo spots as possible. Ellen, Conan, Colbert, etc.

Zelda would be a cool game to demo but I think it's a little tired as the show-off game (then again most people aren't enthusiasts like me that look up every demo).

The WiiU commercial in America premiered Nov. 1st 2012, 17 days before launch. So I'm guessing we can expect Switch commercials in late Feburary/early March.

First NA WiiU commercial:

https://youtu.be/hzjq4i7UjH8

I also googled "WiiU Jimmy Fallon"

https://youtu.be/l7hzVAMMw0I

This was the first time the WiiU was shown on Jimmy Fallon. This was seven months after launch, even though at the start of the video the WiiU is being introduced to the audience as if no one is aware of what the console actually is. They demoed Game & Wario first, followed by Super Mario 3D World.

My quick prediction:
Switch will be advertised as a multiplayer console. Play local multiplayer anywhere: you don't bring your friends to your home console, you bring the switch to your friends.
I believe that will be nintendo's marketing for the switch, and their vison of what an "hybrid" console is.

Hip Hop

My quick prediction:
Switch will be advertised as a multiplayer console. Play local multiplayer anywhere: you don't bring your friends to your home console, you bring the switch to your friends.
I believe that will be nintendo's marketing for the switch, and their vison of what an "hybrid" console is.
Most people have moved on to online multiplayer.
They did the same with the Wii U, advertising it as a local multiplayer machine, and it didn't much at all.

Of course, they should highlight that aspect but hopefully they don't make it the center piece this time.

Where is the link to the $250 price? All I see is an article based on news from November listing a price of $330 Canadian dollars. Straight conversions are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom