• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2D Metroid using the Donkey Kong engine is what I want from them but it seems to me they aren't make either of those games.
I actually think they're making two games and one is 2D Metroid.

I still think back to the comment from Miyamoto and somebody else saying they're doing something with 2D and 3D Metroid. Sometime after we had Federation Force announced, which only leaves 2D Metroid.

I know there are probably lots of devs that could make a 2D Metroid though.

AniHawk

Most people have moved on to online multiplayer.
They did the same with the Wii U, advertising it as a local multiplayer machine, and it didn't much at all.

Of course, they should highlight that aspect but hopefully they don't make it the center piece this time.

the value is important. with the wii, people were already ready to accept online multiplayer (halo and call of duty were big games in 2007-2009), but what people were drawn to was the aspect of playing as a family, and the aspect of being active. the wii u's approach to local multiplayer was 'asymmetrical gameplay', which is a concept that needs to be explained first, and even then isn't very enticing.

being able to bring your switch to work and play mario kart with people at lunch is a much easier proposition than playing mario kart at work on the wii u... and it's even simpler than mario kart on 3ds. the fact that the system 'comes with' two controllers is where the value is. it's a machine that can advertise itself, much like the wii did.

BY2K

Membero Americo
EBGames Canada actually has a countdown on what I guess will become the pre-order page for the Switch once it's over.

C1n1no-VEAEbsHJ.jpg:large

Most people have moved on to online multiplayer.
They did the same with the Wii U, advertising it as a local multiplayer machine, and it didn't much at all.

Of course, they should highlight that aspect but hopefully they don't make it the center piece this time.

Wii U was still a home console: local multiplayer at your place, involving having people to come visit you to play, a concept that, like you said, most people have moved on from. Now imagine what could happen if the same people could have taken the Wii U to bars, work place, during long travels etc.
I'll stick to my bet: half of the "reveal" video presentation was picturing what I'm describing (local multi anywhere).

EDIT:
the value is important. with the wii, people were already ready to accept online multiplayer (halo and call of duty were big games in 2007-2009), but what people were drawn to was the aspect of playing as a family, and the aspect of being active. the wii u's approach to local multiplayer was 'asymmetrical gameplay', which is a concept that needs to be explained first, and even then isn't very enticing.

being able to bring your switch to work and play mario kart with people at lunch is a much easier proposition than playing mario kart at work on the wii u... and it's even simpler than mario kart on 3ds. the fact that the system 'comes with' two controllers is where the value is. it's a machine that can advertise itself, much like the wii did.
exactly

AdanVC

All this game stores hyping. I don't know if I should be hyped too or worried because I might not be able to secure one since Nintendo might just have like 10 preorders available for the whole planet idk ahhh!

Kinsei

Banned
All this game stores hyping. I don't know if I should be hyped too or worried because I might not be able to secure one since Nintendo might just have like 10 preorders available for the whole planet idk ahhh!

Make sure you stay up all night Thursday so that you can be at a store first thing in the morning in order to preorder. That's what I'm doing.

Hydrus

I actually think they're making two games and one is 2D Metroid.

I still think back to the comment from Miyamoto and somebody else saying they're doing something with 2D and 3D Metroid. Sometime after we had Federation Force announced, which only leaves 2D Metroid.

I know there are probably lots of devs that could make a 2D Metroid though.

I've had this feeling for a while. Its been 3 years since Tropical freeze and they only released 1 freaking game for Wii U. Metroid in DKTF engine releasing day one, and a new IP in 2018 is what I'm hoping.

jmizzal

My stance? Porting shouldn't be an issue, but we won't be getting 1:1 ports of Xbox One/PS4 games. Ports will need to be scaled in some capacity - be it number of NPC on the screen or textures. I know of a handful of third-party titles planned for Switch release, but release is way off in the distance. Still, early support is a good sign that the hardware is capable enough to handle the engines of these cross-platform games.

The 3rd party games you know about, are they ports of games that are already out but coming later or are they 3rd party games thats coming out later in the year like Injustice 2?

DJIzana

Anyone know if Best Buy preorders will go up same day as Gamestop?

I'm definitely not going to miss getting a Switch. I've owned every Nintendo console to date. The only thing I haven't own was the original DS handheld. Even owned a virtual boy way back when hah.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy shit I subscribed to Maximillian's channel and Matt recognized me. (For bitching about him, but still.)

The WiiU commercial in America premiered Nov. 1st 2012, 17 days before launch. So I'm guessing we can expect Switch commercials in late Feburary/early March.

First NA WiiU commercial:

https://youtu.be/hzjq4i7UjH8

I also googled "WiiU Jimmy Fallon"

https://youtu.be/l7hzVAMMw0I

This was the first time the WiiU was shown on Jimmy Fallon. This was seven months after launch, even though at the start of the video the WiiU is being introduced to the audience as if no one is aware of what the console actually is. They demoed Game & Wario first, followed by Super Mario 3D World.

The 1st ad was actually fairly decent. Fallon though? You could practically hear the crowd saying to each-other: 'That looks like a piece of shit'. Game & Watch? What a horrible choice & THAT SM3DW stage? That was the stage that even Gaf thought was shit when we saw the E3 video.
Get your shit together Nintendo.

keakster

EBGames Canada actually has a countdown on what I guess will become the pre-order page for the Switch once it's over.

C1n1no-VEAEbsHJ.jpg:large

The counter is set to end when the presentation begins.

They're pushing the presentation pretty hard huh.

They are hosting a stream on their site, which is what I think they are promoting, but I think could lead in to an immediate ability to pre-order

vern

The 3rd party games you know about, are they ports of games that are already out but coming later or are they 3rd party games thats coming out later in the year like Injustice 2?

I can answer for him with regards to what I know, though we likely don't know the same games...

A little from column A and a little from column B.

Edit: and I'm well aware that doesn't say much so don't give me the vague insider bs crap again people... it's just the truth.

Roo

I can answer for him with regards to what I know, though we likely don't know the same games...

Edit: and I'm well aware that doesn't say much so don't give me the vague insider bs crap again people... it's just the truth.

Rise of The Tomb Raider with 2013 DE TR packed in CONFIRMED!

Will there be more than one game shown on Thursday???

You seem to know things.

keakster

It's pretty obvious pre-order are gonna open the second the presentation ends.

I was really hoping to wait and watch the presentation the next morning before work but if there is a chance to pre-order at midnight when the stream ends I may have to put on a pot of coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom