• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasicUAE

Nintendogs on Switch. That would be cool.

Just like owning a real pup. Play with him at home, take him out for walks, connect with other nintendogs in parks.

Or just release that shit on iOS.

$250 is a great price. It's priced out of the handheld market so this will definitely be pushed as a new console in the US.

For existing Wii U owners an all new 3D Mario is a much better upgrade incentive than getting the chance to play Zelda a week or month early.

Also Super Mario Run got attention back on the franchise so I think it would be wise for them to lead with that to regain momentum.
Not for me alot of existing Wii u owners still want Zelda

Oregano

If it's $250 I think it will probably be £219 at most retailers. Nintendo won't give any UK or European RRP/MSRP.

There was a quote from a retailer saying it needs to be less than £200 to succeed so we might get lucky and see retailers pricing it lower.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We need a proper translation of the article: it was posted on January 6th, and I'd like to know if they state the price as a guess or as a concrete info.

Also, if we could have access to the complete article, it'd be great.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo is already selling the base games for full price for years though. Getting people to buy their games and play them for a long time is not a Nintendo problem. They could expand those games with more DLC like they did with Mario Kart of course but why give up on $60 every few years if people are willing to spend them? I would want to see some service elements in there, don't get me wrong. A weekly changing mode would be fun and a serious eSports mode could do wonders.

Keep in mind things like MK and Smash only historically get one game per platform a generation anyway. So going the service route just makes more money off those titles.

Sticking with MK8 refined, Smash refined etc just allows them to sell already made games and new content for them and thus free up their development teams to make other games and help round out the library. Which is key as the Switch will live or die by Nintnedo's game support. Especially in the west where the Japanese third party stuff it will get is mostly super niche.

Why isn't a new thread being made for that? That's important news going into the reveal and something I wouldn't have known had I not randomly entered this thread.

I wonder if that price is too high in Japan for a handheld.

Do you guys think Amazon will have the Switch up for pre-order? I know they had some issues with the 3DS and Nintendo in general so I didn't know if there was a chance Amazon wouldn't take Switch pre-orders at all.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you're gonna end up juggling all your games around SD cards, why not just buy the Game Cards in the first place?

For people who buy a ton of games it's still a big difference betweeen having a few SD cards to juggle vs 30+ or whatever game carts.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I absolutely expect there to be a pack-in. Could end up being a new I.P.; the last two Nintendo home consoles have launched with a new I.P. as a pack-in.
The last two consoles have also had some gameplay gimmick. I think it's definitely possible but the pack ins were showcases to the unique features of the console.

Josh5890

Not to be a negative nancy, but I feel there's a shitstorm brewin' when it comes to the storage situation.

I got a 2TB for the PS4 hoping it would last me the entire gen, but it seems like in reality it might be the absolute minimum you need if you're going all or mostly digital. Uncharted, FF XV, Ratchet, TLG and even Bloodborne are all between 20-60GB or more when you include the DLCs and patches. And now with Horizon, Mass Effect Andromeda, RDR2 etc coming.
In a perfect world every Switch game would be extremely polished and have minimum patches, but I just don't see that happening, with games becoming more complex, the worlds becoming bigger, the expectations higher. The era of constant updates is upon the Switch, there's no doubt in my mind.

What am I gonna do with a 256GB microSD card even if I do find a good brand with a great price?
This is the calm before the storm.

I've thought about that and I think I have a solution. What if the Switch allows external HDD's like the Wii-U did? If the dock has USB ports then maybe you can store games on the HDD. Obviously you couldn't play them off of the external HDD since if you pulled the Switch out of the dock the file would be corrupted instantly. Lets say the Switch's OS is set up to where the game shows up on the system but it has to be transferred over to the microsd card in order to play. When the Switch is docked, it could be easy to transfer games back and forth between the HDD and memory card.

Maybe not the perfect solution but I think it is reasonable.

Josh5890

Do you guys think Amazon will have the Switch up for pre-order? I know they had some issues with the 3DS and Nintendo in general so I didn't know if there was a chance Amazon wouldn't take Switch pre-orders at all.

I thought Amazon and Nintendo were on better terms now. I would think that they will have Switch pre-orders. But who knows

Not to be a negative nancy, but I feel there's a shitstorm brewin' when it comes to the storage situation.

I got a 2TB for the PS4 hoping it would last me the entire gen, but it seems like in reality it might be the absolute minimum you need if you're going all or mostly digital. Uncharted, FF XV, Ratchet, TLG and even Bloodborne are all between 20-60GB or more when you include the DLCs and patches. And now with Horizon, Mass Effect Andromeda, RDR2 etc coming.
In a perfect world every Switch game would be extremely polished and have minimum patches, but I just don't see that happening, with games becoming more complex, the worlds becoming bigger, the expectations higher. The era of constant updates is upon the Switch, there's no doubt in my mind.

What am I gonna do with a 256GB microSD card even if I do find a good brand with a great price?
This is the calm before the storm.

Are we expecting 20-60GB sized games on Switch, from what I understand the uncompressed audio is the reason why we are seeing such big game sizes on current gen games, with the different size carts costing different amount to manufacture I'd imagine developers will do there best to compress their audio to fit in the smallest possible cart size.

That Nikkie topic is garbage. You would think the way some people talk they were part of the IGN Beyond podcast. Completely made up assumptions to shit on Nintendo. Over and over and over Nintendo gets crapped on. People asking for crazy expensive consoles from Nintendo as if it was that easy...

That Nikkie topic is garbage. You would think the way some people talk they were part of the IGN Beyond podcast. Completely made up assumptions to shit on Nintendo. Over and over and over Nintendo gets crapped on. People asking for crazy expensive consoles from Nintendo as if it was that easy...

The worst are those that want

PS4 level graphics
A 1080p screen
8-10 hours battery

...and then say they won't buy unless it's $199.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
4 more days?

CfMFy4z.gif

sphinx

the piano man
I don't know about America and its dollars, but regarding eu

the internet says

yen_zps3rofucqr.jpg

this is EXCELLENT news for those of us in Europe, we are looking at a 200 euro price point.

Kinsei

Banned
I'd love it if they did a direct conversion from Yen to CAD. $283 instead fo $330 would let me get an extra launch game.

oti

Banned

the internet says

yen_zps3rofucqr.jpg

this are EXCELLENT news for those of us in Europe, we are looking at a 200 euro price point.

Nah, 229€ would be the best price for us. They'll go with 250€ though is my guess. Because they can.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

the internet says

yen_zps3rofucqr.jpg

this is EXCELLENT news for those of us in Europe, we are looking at a 200 euro price point.

Years and years of Electronic devices say that it will be 250€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom