• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The speed of this gif!

Haha, I know it's kinda too fast but I tried my best what I could fit everything in 500 frames. I want to keep it short and low MB for everyone to see.
I'm trying my best for people who have limited plans with the internet or mobile

I'm still fully expecting us to get screwed over somehow price wise in U.K.. because well...we always do.
If that happens, Nintendo will be screwed. Nintendo systems are pretty much dead here, a £250 price (when you can get PS4/XBO for less than that won't do much outside the early adopters. I think Nintendo should aim to hit no more than £200. Start out with £250 and then hit a price cut if the system doesn't sell...it won't look good, just desperate.

Scrawnton

$250 for a Switch is the perfect sweet spot. I say offer only one package and make people choose their games to buy. One system one bundle.

AntMurda

I hope you're right. That would be great.

If 229 is in the cards imma go with 299 for Splatoon and the Pro Controller on top.

Packing in pro-controller is unheard of and unnecessary. It comes with suitable control options in the sku, it would look ridiculous to add another controller in the box. Just sell it separate.

I don't know about America and its dollars, but regarding eu

the internet says

yen_zps3rofucqr.jpg

this is EXCELLENT news for those of us in Europe, we are looking at a 200 euro price point.
Nintendo never sells at direct conversion price. Sorry to burst your bubble.

oti

Banned
Packing in pro-controller is unheard of and unnecessary. It comes with suitable control options in the sku, it would look ridiculous to add another controller in the box. Just sell it separate.

I just remember how prominently they showed the Pro Controller during the Splatoon segment in the reveal trailer.

Waji

Again are we going to be completely ****** (insert what you wnat) in Europe with a 250€ conversion ?
Even removing 10€ or so would really make a difference.
I'd have an easier time swallowing 239,99€. The lower the better.
It would be useless to try to import since the shipping fees would be far over the conversion one.

Waji

I we really had something under 210€ it would be amazing.
But I'm not counting on it at all.

The worst are those that want

PS4 level graphics
A 1080p screen
8-10 hours battery

...and then say they won't buy unless it's $199.
And 2 free games as well as a pro controller. Bare minimum.

...These people...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Agreed it won't be packed in.

Sucks for me as I view the pro as a most. Joycons on the grip look a little awkward and lack a dpad. I'd also prefer to live the joycons on the tablet when docked so I can just grab it and keep playing when I need to take a shot or whatever. Having to take the joycons off the grip and attach to the tablet every time you want to switch hurts that functionality.

So that's another $50-60 tacked on for me probably.

Retrobox

Actually the Nikkei thread seemed pretty good to me. Most people seem to be on board if true. You got some people basically ignoring the hybrid nature and concluding the price is too high, but that isn't any different from what we've been seeing since the Switch was revealed.

Scum

Haha, wow that Nikkei thread turned out well.

$249.99 is too much. Should be $199.99
$199.99 is too much. Should be $149.99
$149.99 is too much. Should be $99.99
$99.99 is too low. Then again, it's not powerful, so that's why it's $99.99.

AzaK

Not for me. The Wii U U.I. was abysmal in how slow it was. With a system that's as supposed to provide instant functionality between home console & portable console, I hope that speed & efficiency also translates to the U.I. I hope it's nothing like the 'channel browser' that the last two systems featured.

Yeah Wii U was awful, especially the eShop and other channels.

Another 4 days away. I just hope that they don't fuck up the reveal like they did with the Wii U twice by just showing people the Wii U Gamepad & letting them think that it's a Wii add-on.

To this day, a lot of people don't know what Wii U is. Nintendo has to be clear-cut, & precise on their delivery.

They won't fuck it up that way but they already have by making it a Japanese presentation. Come one, when most of your market is non Japanese, why make a Japanese presentation will basically make the ears bleed for non Japanese speakers due to translation being required.

It was pretty much expected it will turn out that way. If it was 200, they might say it's still expensive and should had been 150.

If it was $150, they would say it must be extremely weak or terrible to be that price and would say they should just make it $100 to be competitive. AKA there is no pleasing some people.

The nikkei thread is expected, some people (usual suspects actually) not liking, and others liking it. The price is just one aspect of the system too, coming with interesting titles like mario and zelda will make it more appealing.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
You know, the more I think about it, the more I love the joycons.

I mean, usually when my fiancée and I travel she will play something on her iphone and I'll use my 3DS. Now, on a plane or on the train we can play mario kart together.

Oregano

Also in case you guys' missed it MDave did more investigation and it turns out the Shield TV throttles after a few minutes to... 768MHz. Which is exactly the frequency Switch's GPU will run at.

Caelus

I don't feel like the pro controller is a necessary inclusion in the standard package... it's not like any of us have played with the joy-con grip which is guaranteed to be included, and that looks like a sufficient 'pro' controller, albeit with different ergonomics.

Who knows, maybe that's sufficiently comfortable. Or not.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Also in case you guys' missed it MDave did more investigation and it turns out the Shield TV throttles after a few minutes to... 768MHz. Which is exactly the frequency Switch's GPU will run at.

yeah I read that and I've to say this is a good decision by nintendo.

Yeah Wii U was awful, especially the eShop and other channels.

They won't fuck it up that way but they already have by making it a Japanese presentation. Come one, when most of your market is non Japanese, why make a Japanese presentation will basically make the ears bleed for non Japanese speakers due to translation being required.

It's a press conference for the press. They will have guided hands on for them right after and all over the world in the following days. Nobody will come out confused.

Probably have translated videos/trailers up pretty soon after too. The casuals will read it in the paper and everyone else knows what's up.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Always? Or under certain conditions?

let me quote

Alright back with some more results on the Shield.

The app I was using turned out to be giving me incorrect readings, so I figured out how to get readings right off the kernel itself.

I shall let you come to your own conclusions.

First run from fresh start these are GPU readings:

http://puu.sh/tfsJG/2df39dff3c.png

3 ~ 4 minutes into the GPU benchmark:

http://puu.sh/tfsYF/af2223ec4d.png

What does this mean? It does actually run at 1GHz initially, but then it lowers gradually to the lowest point we see here at 768Mhz - probably why Nintendo choose this speed as it allows for at least a consistent clock speed without it thermal throttling. And this also matches what the Dolphin developers see with the GPU on the Shield.

I'm going to try to push the CPU and GPU as hard as I can and see if the CPU does indeed throttle, but it looks like it doesn't so far as to keep the console game ports on the Shield to run at consistent speeds.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think Nintendo is making a mistake not potentially having the Mario Kart update ready at launch. The game is a proven system-seller, and so many people missed out on MK8 because they didn't own Wii Us.

I hope that the $300 comes with a pro controller and Splatoon. Day one if so.

...so extra.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I still think Nintendo is making a mistake not potentially having the Mario Kart update ready at launch. The game is a proven system-seller, and so many people missed out on MK8 because they didn't own Wii Us.

I think it will be launch window and there is something to Nintendo not unloading every bullet for launch- if you have Zelda and Splatoon day 1 I think you can get by without MK for a few months.

Wil348

Any ideas on when Amazon will have it up for pre order? I'm a bit concerned that if I sleep through the event they will run out but at the same time I'm also concerned I'll wake up super early only for Amazon to not put it up until later.

oti

Banned

Let's see first if it hits launch or not. But even if it doesn't, it's Mario Kart. Marrio Kart doesn't need hardware launch hype to sell (unlike the Mario X Rabbids RPG I'd imagine), it just sells.

We don't know for sure it won't be there, but it's looking unlikely. If anything it'll release a couple months later.

kunonabi

You know, the more I think about it, the more I love the joycons.

I mean, usually when my fiancée and I travel she will play something on her iphone and I'll use my 3DS. Now, on a plane or on the train we can play mario kart together.

I'd love them too if they had a dpad and I had any faith that pointer controls would be the standard again.

Kazooie

Banned
£249 for the premium SKU, how can people moan about that when the PS4 and Xbox ONE launched at £350- £399. I think it's a fantastic price.

I'm just hoping they get the games out thick and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom