• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
The Nikkei price thread really underscores how consumers are, in no way, rational.

Well, thankfully it's merely speculation.

I understand pricing concerns either way. NeoGAF is a small, small chunk of the overall amount of people buying these things.

I feel Nintendo has to price veeerryyy carefully. Those who invested so much in Wii and DS were primarily casuals. These are those who've moved to mobile gaming for its greater support and accessibility. You can access these supermassive app stores on dirt cheap hardware.

Nintendo's gonna have to be clever to try and tempt those people that paying for a console and £40-£50 a pop video games is still worth it in 2017.

marmoka

Banned
Maybe Kimishima wasn't lying when he said the reason they delayed the Switch's release from end of 2016 to March 2017 because they wanted more games ready.

End of 2016 wasnt a good time for Switch either because of PS4 Pro. I think they took the right decision moving it to March. Now everyone is putting attention to Switch and the presentation event.

HotHamBoy

Looking very likely at this point....

I-dont-believe-you.gif

I hope we do see LOTS of stuff, so far all that's been leaked are ports and the only all-new games leaked were Mario & Rabbids RPG and to a lesser extent BG&E2.

I'm glad, it's nice to know about ports to be more prepared so you don't buy say Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U and then see "oh, it's getting a beefed up Switch port...".

It's why I've held off of Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, and Yoshi's Woolly World. :p Only Yoshi thus far hasn't been rumored, but there is the 3DS version. :p

I hope we are shown LOTS of new entries and other big surprises. From both Nintendo and 3rd-parties.

Waji

If the Switch launches with Zelda and Mario, it will do well.
If it launches with these 2, it's sure to become my first day 1 system.
But I'll have to order stuff separately since I'll do Zelda in Japanese at least.
So if it's not in a bundle it's perfect. Not expcting mario to be in one, if even at launch, but it would just be perfect.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
nintendoswitchpresentp6byv.png

Some explanations:

A racing series returns: Either Wave Race or Excite Truck

A new IP: Simply a new IP, not necessarily something that would reflect that image (it's just there to have something to look at)

But before you leave: At the end of the conference, they show one last spectacular thing (like The Legend of Zelda at E3 2004)

Preinstalled software: Like drawing applications or simple card games etc.

Template:

It's probably gonna be Zelda + Splatoon, based on what we've been hearing the last few months (unless something changed last month).

I'll keep saying this until next Thursday.

It's not going to be just Zelda and Splatoon. Feel free to point and laugh at me if I'm wrong.

Neoxon

I'll keep saying this until next Thursday.

It's not going to be just Zelda and Splatoon. Feel free to point and laugh at me if I'm wrong.
Maybe they have a new IP that's ready for launch, but Mario alongside those two (while awesome) would be overkill for Day 1. Also keep in mind that Zelda & Splatoon are both heavy-hitters.

Maybe they have a new IP that's ready for launch, but Mario alongside those two (while awesome) would be overkill for Day 1. Also keep in mind that Zelda & Splatoon are both heavy-hitters.

It may not be Mario, but there will be more than two first party releases at launch. Again, point and laugh at me if I get this one wrong.

I'm basing this on two factors:

1. Nintendo isn't going to launch a new console with only Wii U ports/enhanced ports
2. The last three Nintendo launches (Wii, 3DS, Wii U) had at least three Nintendo-published games on day one.

Rösti;227893958 said:
Some explanations:

A racing series returns: Either Wave Race or Excite Truck

A new IP: Simply a new IP, not necessarily something that would reflect that image (it's just there to have something to look at)

But before you leave: At the end of the conference, they show one last spectacular thing (like The Legend of Zelda at E3 2004)

Preinstalled software: Like drawing applications or simple card games etc.

Template:

Love the bingo card! :D Excited to see what others come up with!

When's the Spongebob-based one? :D

Nintendo can only do 3 or 4 first party games at launch. Or it's just overkill plus you have third party games.

BotW and Splatoon are fine. A third game could be Mario Kart? But Mario Kart feels too big to have with those two. Maybe a smaller IP like F-Zero?

javac

March isn't too far away so I'm expecting a deep dive on this thing. I see this event being the equivalent to the Wii U showing at E3 2012 and the September event combined and so I expect the same kind of info, from launch title announcements and Trailers (with more details at the Treehouse) and details on hardware price, bundles, accessories and OS stuff. Different SKU's (with colors we'll never get) and things like the gamecarts and packaging will be on the show floor. Maybe at the end we get a sneak peak at what to expect at E3 with a "One more thing".

And although I expect some Japanese 3rd party stuff (Mon Hun and Level 5 equivalents with maybe some SENIX stuff) I don't expect much western 3rd party showings other than Ubisoft and maybe Skyrim because most third parties refrain from announcing things at this time of the year, which makes sense because they don't want to cannibalize sales for titles that are still fresh from last year. E3 is the best place to announce, say the next COD being on this thing. If western 3rd parties do show stuff, I'd expect late ports and such. Either way, the flood gates will be opened this week.

I expect a BOTW Trailer to open the show.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think we've done enough analyzing of Nintendo's development teams to determine who's making something at the moment. I have no doubt nearly all of them are, but what I'd like to know are the previous projects and to know if they're 2-3 or more years into development of something.

Example: We know just by development time that a 3D Mario is due for a release in 2017.

What other studios from Nintendo could we be looking forward to?

hatchx

Banned
I'm not seeing it. I'm more inclined to believe Nintendo is getting this out of the way to check the box on their "must have IP" to do list to take their time and really innovate on their next Mario Kart and Smash games. Like, Nintendo Kart in 4 years or something.

I think you are wrong, and I'll stake my fork on the side of the fence saying the Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. WiiU remasters are the only ones we'll get all generation on the Switch.

Why? Because the base gameplay and mechanics are pretty much perfected and anything they'd ever want to add can be done through DLC. We saw them add a 200cc mode in MK8 and a Tournament mode in Smash through DLC/Updates, there's no reason to think they couldn't add any of those innovations the same way. There's also more profit to be made from DLC, and the base games are going to be sold full price anyways.

I'd wager they even rename the games. I doubt it will be called MK8. Maybe Mario Kart/Smash Bros Deluxe or Infinite (as mentioned)? They will support these with DLC throughout the generation and make a ton of money and save on development staff.

They can add stages, modes, and characters to each. There's just no reason to release brand new ones until there is a major update like a big tech jump or VR or something.

I almost feel like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker could be treated the same way. One base release in the first year stacked with DLC all generation.

As I mentioned, I don't think Mario Kart, SMM, Splatoon, or Smash will be treated as remasters or ports when it comes to naming and marketing. In the case of SMM and Splatoon, they might even be considered straight sequels. Only things like a Bayo 2 or XCX re-release would be considered straight port/remaster. The four aforementioned titles will probably be treated like new games including all of the original's content, and see continued DLC and updates all generation.

....just my thoughts.

jmizzal

I say launch with Zelda, Splatoon remaster, and New IP

Save Mario for April or May

April can go Mario Kart
May 3D Mario and Xenoblade X remaster
After E3 will be, Smash Bros Switch, Pikmin 4, Pokemon and Retro's game

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo can only do 3 or 4 first party games at launch. Or it's just overkill plus you have third party games.

BotW and Splatoon are fine. A third game could be Mario Kart? But Mario Kart feels too big to have with those two. Maybe a smaller IP like F-Zero?

Zelda + Splatoon + New IP
Zelda + Mario Kart + New IP

I think that combination above is likely with the rest of the games not designated for launch being released between May - December.

Something I didn't even know I wanted. I'd much rather see them handle Star Fox or something with action, and let Criterion do an F-Zero or Wave Race.

...one can dream.

Cmon you know you want that over the top style and ridiculous boss races with the lyrics of the boss theme come out in full force in the final lap of the race.

Wave Race: Revengeance

hatchx

Banned
Zelda + Splatoon + New IP
Zelda + Mario Kart + New IP

I think that combination above is likely with the rest of the games not designated for launch being released between May - December.

I agree with this completely, although I'd lean on it being the bolded (Mario Kart).

Mario Kart just has more worldwide universal appeal and is a far better recognized Nintendo brand. It would allow Switch to launch with some form of 1st party Mario title, and would really show off the co-op joy-con.

I get why they'd want to launch with Splatoon due to the success in Japan and solidifying it as a stable IP, but the local multiplayer in Mario Kart can't be understated.

Cmon you know you want that over the top style and ridiculous boss races with the lyrics of the boss theme come out in full force in the final lap of the race.

Wave Race: Revengeance

Honestly, I would trust Platinum with any IP and be hyped to holy hell....so yes.

Something I didn't even know I wanted. I'd much rather see them handle Star Fox or something with action, and let Criterion do an F-Zero or Wave Race.

...one can dream.
Hey, you could add action to Wave Race. Make it more like Road Rash. I'll admit I haven't played Wave Race before.

So has Capcom hinted at DR1 or RE7 coming to Switch?

This is all they've said about the Switch

Q. What is Capcom’s stance with regards to developing for the Nintendo Switch?

A. It is excellent to have the market invigorated with new hardware launches. As a software publisher, we endeavor to develop games that offer enjoyment best suited to each piece of hardware’s features and target users. Following first party, in order to introduce our own content we are currently moving forward with internal planning and analysis as a partner company.

Q. Is it possible to develop multiplatform titles on the Nintendo Switch?

A. We are currently carrying out research with regards to multiplatform implementation of software for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on to the Nintendo Switch and thus are unable to comment at this moment. However, we do feel that there are differences in the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch and those of the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. At Capcom, we determine which platform to release a title for after considering the features of both our software and the hardware in question, believing we must bring the enjoyment of our games to their maximum potential.

hatchx

Banned
Hey, you could add action to Wave Race. Make it more like Road Rash. I'll admit I haven't played Wave Race before.

I kind of like that Ware Race exists within some realm of believability. Adding fighting or over-the-top action seems a little bit wrong. We saw what happened to the Motorstorm franchise when it went Apocalypse.

Wave Race still could use an HD entry with online play. It could ramp up the weather effects and wave sizes. Wave Race Blue Storm almost had a tsunami mode that was cut to make it for launch. You can still find a little easter egg tsunami section on dolphin island and it was insane.

I'd love a Wave Race that had you racing through some crazy hurricanes and boats toppling over and stuff.

Neoxon

I agree with this completely, although I'd lean on it being the bolded (Mario Kart).

Mario Kart just has more worldwide universal appeal and is a far better recognized Nintendo brand. It would allow Switch to launch with some form of 1st party Mario title, and would really show off the co-op joy-con.

I get why they'd want to launch with Splatoon due to the success in Japan and solidifying it as a stable IP, but the local multiplayer in Mario Kart can't be understated.
You could also twist that to MK8's detriment. It's more of a guarantee to sell on its own than Splatoon due to said worldwide appeal, so it could be just as easily saved for a few months down the road to keep the hype going. Having Splatoon on Day 1 would, as you said, better establish the IP worldwide & build a stable player-base for the duration of the Switch's life.

oti

Banned
I think you are wrong, and I'll stake my fork on the side of the fence saying the Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. WiiU remasters are the only ones we'll get all generation on the Switch.

Why? Because the base gameplay and mechanics are pretty much perfected and anything they'd ever want to add can be done through DLC. We saw them add a 200cc mode in MK8 and a Tournament mode in Smash through DLC/Updates, there's no reason to think they couldn't add any of those innovations the same way. There's also more profit to be made from DLC, and the base games are going to be sold full price anyways.

I'd wager they even rename the games. I doubt it will be called MK8. Maybe Mario Kart/Smash Bros Deluxe or Infinite (as mentioned)? They will support these with DLC throughout the generation and make a ton of money and save on development staff.

They can add stages, modes, and characters to each. There's just no reason to release brand new ones until there is a major update like a big tech jump or VR or something.

I almost feel like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker could be treated the same way. One base release in the first year stacked with DLC all generation.

As I mentioned, I don't think Mario Kart, SMM, Splatoon, or Smash will be treated as remasters or ports when it comes to naming and marketing. In the case of SMM and Splatoon, they might even be considered straight sequels. Only things like a Bayo 2 or XCX re-release would be considered straight port/remaster. The four aforementioned titles will probably be treated like new games including all of the original's content, and see continued DLC and updates all generation.

....just my thoughts.

That sounds smart too. I'm just wondering if Nintendo is truly done with those franchises as far as innovation goes. Miyamoto is talking about rebooting Mario. I really feel and hope that Nintendo is looking at all of their franchises and asking themselves where they can innovate, no matter how drastic. But that process needs time and people really want MK and Smash for Switch, the Wii U versions are basically perfect so they're fine with some enhancements. They'll come out in the first 12 months and that's great. But for the next MK and Smash there needs to be some real, palatable innovation. Otherwise there is no need for them to exist.

And I think they will exist and they will exist on Switch.

hatchx

Banned
You could also twist that to MK8's detriment. It's more of a guarantee to sell on its own than Splatoon due to said worldwide appeal, so it could be just as easily saved for a few months down the road to keep the hype going. Having Splatoon on Day 1 would, as you said, better establish the IP worldwide & build a stable player-base for the duration of the Switch's life.

I agree there's strengths to both, and at the end of the day we don't know Nintendo's overall development timelines or release strategy...

However if the rumour of 3D Mario being finished is true, it just seems way more logical to use that to keep the hype going a few months later and release Mario Kart, their most popular and recognized IP at launch.

I can only see Splatoon being the better option if they have another title with local multiplayer. Splatoon and Zelda don't really have local multiplayer on one system, and being one of the Joy-Cons coolest attributes it makes too much sense for Kart at launch. Multiplayer is big for Nintendo, and two-player multiplayer out-of-the-box will be a huge selling factor for the Switch.

I guess I'll just mark my prediction. I think Mario Kart Deluxe (not named Mario Kart 8) will hit launch alongside Zelda. LKD and Emily Rogers flip flopped on Zelda at launch, so there's good reason to believe they are wrong/things have changed about Splatoon at launch.

I say launch with Zelda, Splatoon remaster, and New IP

Save Mario for April or May

April can go Mario Kart
May 3D Mario and Xenoblade X remaster
After E3 will be, Smash Bros Switch, Pikmin 4, Pokemon and Retro's game
I don't see the new IP being of note and at launch. Buried by Zelda is likely not a good idea.

Speely

Banned
I am interested in seeing where the likely (imo) Mario Sports Superstars Switch version fits into the release schedule. Would be cool to see it sooner than later since it seems like a great game to take advantage of the portable local MP stuff. Would be awesome if it was a straight-up pack in with the base SKU, but that's certainly not gonna happen.

Isn't Camelot working on this game as well, for a couple of the sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom